What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Post by JoelTurner »

I found his immigration record but I’m still not fully sure.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JXFB-GZ7)

FamilySearch interprets it as Patenio and Wikipedia says that the city of Paterno is Patennò in Sicilian. So that’s probably right.

Plus, these guys were supposedly related to Paterno so it would make sense if they shared the same hometown.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

That manifest definitely says Paternò. Great discovery.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am If I have the right person, Dominick Tetta was from Potenza, Italy .
(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W57C-L2T2)
Great find. I'm not sure if that is in fact the right guy, but it could be. Would make it even more unlikely that he was Capone's "cousin", but if Tetta was Potentino than it could connect him to guys like Ciaffone, as well as the Chicago members from Potenza.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here are some cool pics:

Robert Gallicchio (L in both photos) - Likely Newark member, he was arrested for the Vincenzo Troia killing

———

Dominic "Tommy Adams" DiNorscio with Robert Gallicchio’s wife Angela

bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

An informant advised that Genovese captain Generoso 'Toto' Del Duca 'built his empire' during the prohibition days and started his rackets in Newark, NJ before prohibition. He maintained close ties to NJ and may have had a few NJ guys in his crew. Is it possible he was a early Newark family member?
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:09 am An informant advised that Genovese captain Generoso 'Toto' Del Duca 'built his empire' during the prohibition days and started his rackets in Newark, NJ before prohibition. He maintained close ties to NJ and may have had a few NJ guys in his crew. Is it possible he was a early Newark family member?
Really interesting, I've never heard him mentioned as having ties to Newark let alone being an ex-member. I can't think of any NJ guys who would have been in his crew.

I saw that you uploaded his file, I'm going to check it out!
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:24 am
bn wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:09 am An informant advised that Genovese captain Generoso 'Toto' Del Duca 'built his empire' during the prohibition days and started his rackets in Newark, NJ before prohibition. He maintained close ties to NJ and may have had a few NJ guys in his crew. Is it possible he was a early Newark family member?
Really interesting, I've never heard him mentioned as having ties to Newark let alone being an ex-member. I can't think of any NJ guys who would have been in his crew.

Paolo Lombardino and Angelo 'Gyp' DeCarlo are possible Del Duca soldiers. The crew operated in NJ, Queens, Manhattan, and Brooklyn. Information on him is quite scarce, so we probably can only speculate whether or not he was a Newark guy.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:32 am
JoelTurner wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:24 am

Paolo Lombardino and Angelo 'Gyp' DeCarlo are possible Del Duca soldiers. The crew operated in NJ, Queens, Manhattan, and Brooklyn. Information on him is quite scarce, so we probably can only speculate whether or not he was a Newark guy.
I saw the references to a connection to Richie Boiardo in his file, I feel like Del Duca was likely a member of whatever organization that Boiardo and DeCarlo were a part of, identified on the DeCarlo tapes as the Combaneesh.

Plus, DeCarlo says that Tato was a member: it was debated on the Combaneesh thread if he was referring to Thomas Tato, but now I think it was Del Duca
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Interesting guy indeed.

Another guy in Del Duca's file caught my attention

Antonio Appierto (1884 - 1967) described as a very successful under the radar guy.

I wonder if he was possibly a crew leader in his early days, or was under Del Duca.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

bn wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm Interesting guy indeed.

Antonio Appierto (1884 - 1967) described as a very successful under the radar guy.

I wonder if he was possibly a crew leader in his early days, or was under Del Duca.
FWIW, Appierto was born on Dec 18, 1884 in Marigliano (in Caserta according to his Petition for Naturalization), although now it is listed as being in Naples, Campania. Today it's known for being heavily infested by the Camorra. His parents according to his marriage record were Antonio Appierto and Teresa Pezza. He arrived on July 6, 1902 in NY. An Antonio Appierto married Rosina Valtasi in New Jersey in 1905, but I'm uncertain if it's the same person. He married Stella Jencheli (or Jengheli or Jengkeli) in New York in 1917 (in June 1929 they apparently remarried under her name of Stella Zacharoff). She was born in Russia in 1895/1896 to Leonard Jengkeli? and Josephine Emmer. The oldest daughter Carmella or Millie was born in New Jersey around 1913. In 1917 he lived at 200 Mott Street and in 1918 he lived at 129 Eldridge St. in Manhattan and was employed as a carpenter. The Appiertos lived at 1448 78 Street in Brooklyn in 1925, and he still worked as a carpenter. In 1930 Antonio is listed as a jewelry salesman. In 1940 he's listed as a proprietor of a garage. In 1942 he lived at 70 81st Street in Brooklyn and worked at 69 Kenmare Street with a Louis and Angelo or self-employed at Louis and Angelo's. He died on June 16, 1967 and is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Brooklyn.

There's a listing of a property transfer in Newark from a Teresa Papa to Antonio Appierto of Belleville in 1914, but I don't know if this person is a match. In March 1917 he was charged for running a policy game in Brooklyn.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Thanks for the info Antiliar :D
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm
bn wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm Interesting guy indeed.

FWIW, Appierto was born on Dec 18, 1884 in Marigliano (in Caserta according to his Petition for Naturalization), although now it is listed as being in Naples, Campania. Today it's known for being heavily infested by the Camorra. His parents according to his marriage record were Antonio Appierto and Teresa Pezza. He arrived on July 6, 1902 in NY. An Antonio Appierto married Rosina Valtasi in New Jersey in 1905, but I'm uncertain if it's the same person. He married Stella Jencheli (or Jengheli or Jengkeli) in New York in 1917 (in June 1929 they apparently remarried under her name of Stella Zacharoff). She was born in Russia in 1895/1896 to Leonard Jengkeli? and Josephine Emmer. The oldest daughter Carmella or Millie was born in New Jersey around 1913. In 1917 he lived at 200 Mott Street and in 1918 he lived at 129 Eldridge St. in Manhattan and was employed as a carpenter. The Appiertos lived at 1448 78 Street in Brooklyn in 1925, and he still worked as a carpenter. In 1930 Antonio is listed as a jewelry salesman. In 1940 he's listed as a proprietor of a garage. In 1942 he lived at 70 81st Street in Brooklyn and worked at 69 Kenmare Street with a Louis and Angelo or self-employed at Louis and Angelo's. He died on June 16, 1967 and is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Brooklyn.

There's a listing of a property transfer in Newark from a Teresa Papa to Antonio Appierto of Belleville in 1914, but I don't know if this person is a match. In March 1917 he was charged for running a policy game in Brooklyn.
Thanks for the deep dive on Appierto!

His daughter was specifically born in Newark in 1913
(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -L9HD-TD5T)

It would be important to know where exactly they were living. Boiardo was based out of the First Ward (now known as 7th Ave) while most of the Newark Family lived in the Central Ward between 16th and S Orange Ave.

My gut says that he would have been linked to Boiardo though.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

There should be a 1910 census record for him, but I couldn't find it.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:18 pm Here's some relevant pages from Misuraca's FBI file:
FBI file Misuraca p29 - D'Amico.jpg
FBI file Misuraca p30 - D'Amico.jpg
I’m assuming that Salvatore Fantano was referring to Salvatore Fontana who was killed on July 3rd 1935.
I was looking at the wrong guy. The Salvatore Fontana that died on July 3rd 1935 died in Fulton, NY, far upstate and most likely unrelated to this Newark conflict.
(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGJN-L1FJ)

--------------

I can't find a death for him.

Does anyone know more about this Salvatore Fontana? He wasn't related to the Colombo members
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Russo, underboss of Badami