What do We Know about the Newark Family?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Settimo Accardi

Post by Antiliar »

Just trying to get some clarification. I see that he's placed as a Lucchese Family capo, but the 1963 Valachi hearing placed him as a Genovese capo. In a 1973 article from Newsday he's also ID'd as Genovese guy. So what sources state that he was with the Lucchese Family?

https://books.google.com/books?id=yxJMa ... se&f=false

https://www.newspapers.com/image/718735 ... se&match=1
motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Settimo Accardi

Post by motorfab »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:19 pm Just trying to get some clarification. I see that he's placed as a Lucchese Family capo, but the 1963 Valachi hearing placed him as a Genovese capo. In a 1973 article from Newsday he's also ID'd as Genovese guy. So what sources state that he was with the Lucchese Family?

https://books.google.com/books?id=yxJMa ... se&f=false

https://www.newspapers.com/image/718735 ... se&match=1
I see him listed more often in the Genoveses than in the Luccheses. For example Jean-Pierre Charbonneau in The Canadian Connection describes him as being a member of the Genovese Crime Family, but he is surely basing this on Valachi's testimony. I have already seen some articles listing Accardi at the Luccheses but most often it is at the Genoveses. One thing is certain is that he was very connected with Sicily and Canada...

It reminds me of the conversation we had a few months ago with Eboli and HairKnuckles about Angelo Tuminaro where he too is cited in these two Families viewtopic.php?f=29&t=806&hilit=tuminaro&start=2595

That doesn't really answer your question, but I think he was in the Genovese crime family ...
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Thanks motorfab.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It looks like HK dealt with this question a few years ago. I missed this post and didn't realize that Carbo was a Genovese, but it makes sense.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:57 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:10 am I thought Accardi was an early Lucchese Jersey Crew Capo?

Pogo

Not sure he was a captain at all. The earliest Lucchese NJ capo we can trace is Benjamin Pizzolato. Regarding Accardi (or Accardo) and his Family membership, you can probably PM JD and ask, I´m sure he knows about this.

Hailbritain wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 am
It’s pretty certain he was a lucchese member . A lot of those lists and charts back then had a lot of inaccuracies

The 1977 list I referred to above is pretty damn accurate. Accardi was determined to have been a Genovese member. Me too thought that Accardi was with the Luccheses but I was wrong until I saw that list. Frankie Carbo falls into same cathegory and possibly Angelo Tuminaro too. For a long time I thought Carbo was a Lucchese, but he wasn´t. He too is on the Genovese list of 1977 and his name shows up on a list of proposed members as a deceased Genovese confiscated by the FBI in the early 1990s.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Here's the evidence for Frankie Carbo:
NYDN 1998Feb6 Junior Gotti mob list.jpg
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/search?q=carbo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He was a Lucchese member. All of the guys from Vita like the Pizzolatos, Abates, and Accardis were with that Family. His cousin Joe Abate was later captain of the same crew.

I think Valachi misidentified him as a Genovese member (like he did with a lot of Newark-based members).
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:51 pm He was a Lucchese member. All of the guys from Vita like the Pizzolatos, Abates, and Accardis were with that Family. His cousin Joe Abate was later captain of the same crew.

I think Valachi misidentified him as a Genovese member (like he did with a lot of Newark-based members).
Do you have any documentation to show he was a Lucchese member? Guilt by association isn't always correct either.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'll see what I can dig up as it's been a while.

His son Carmine Accardi is a confirmed Lucchese member. Still alive as far as I know but not a lot has been said about him.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I found this in Andrew Lombardino's file. It's from 1967.
Accardo, Settimo - Andrew Lombardino FBI file (1967) p179.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Other random info about him:

- Lived in Tunis before the US, like bro-in-law Onofrio Abate.

- His cousins were Bonanno members Vincenzo Morsellino and Mike Adamo. Morsellino came to the US with Accardi, both coming from Tunis.

- Sam's brother Giuseppe Accardi came to the US with Gambino captain Accursio Dimino. Joe was also an NJ mafioso.

- Newark boss Stefano Badami came to the US from Tunis and his underboss Saverio Monaco was from Vita like Accardi. Badami arrived to the US with Tom Gagliano's bro-in-law Salvatore Pennino, both men heading to Gagliano in NYC.

- Speculation at the time of Badami's murder in the 1950s suggested it had something to do with Accardi's deportation. A suspected arrested for the murder was Frank Monaco, brother of Badami's murdered underboss.

- Sam DeCavalcante refers to Accardi as his cousin on one of the tapes. Never found an explanation.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

My best guess is the Lucchese NJ crew consisted of these members 1950s - 1970s:

Giuseppe Abate - Marsala, Trapani (captain 1970s)
Onofrio Abate - Vita, Trapani via Tunis
Giuseppe Accardi - Vita, Trapani
Settimo Accardi - Vita, Trapani via Tunis (captain 1940s-1950s?)
Stefano Badami - Corleone, Palermo via Tunis (former Newark boss)
Anthony Dolasco - Castelferrato, Enna?
Onofrio Milazzo - ?, Trapani (Sicilian transfer, deported)
Benny Pizzolato - Vita, Trapani (captain 1950s-1960s)
Leonard Pizzolato - Vita, Trapani
Vito Pizzolato- Vita, Trapani
Michael Russo - Cerda, Palermo

Notable associates:
Carmine Accardi (son of Settimo)
Anthony Accetturo (with Dolasco)
Frank Monaco - Vita, Trapani (brother of murdered Newark underboss Saverio, suspect in Badami murder)

- Likely some old timers flew under the radar we're unaware of. Could have been some ex-Newark members who were either elderly or dead by the time LE started intensifying their investigation.

- Anthony Acceturro said the members of the Lucchese group in New Jersey numbered 20, but more than 100 associates worked for him. That must include both newly made members in the 1970s/80s plus survivors of the old crew.

- Accetturro was also familier with the break-up of the Newark Family. Don't know how deep his knowledge went but someone told him there'd been a Newark Family who was disbanded. My guess is most of the original NJ Lucchese members were first with Newark so not surprised it would come up in conversation. For example, reports in Richie Boiardo's file say the Accardis, Pizzolatos, and Lombardinos were all one group in the 1920s/30s.

- There was a lot of confusion around these guys. There's a DeCarlo tape where he and Pussy Russo argue for a minute about whether the Pizzolatos are Gambino members or Lucchese. Russo insisted they were Gambino but DeCarlo knew they were Lucchese. It was in reference to a sitdown where Benny Pizzolato was going to represent associate Anthony Accetturo.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Part of Buffalo Family member Vito Agueci's February 1965 statements to the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (FBN) deals with Settimo Accardi's heroin transactions in Toronto -- look for the red arrow on the second page of the article to which I've linked below.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 4b70159a53
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

B. wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:28 am My best guess is the Lucchese NJ crew consisted of these members 1950s - 1970s:

Notable associates:
Frank Monaco - Vita, Trapani (brother of murdered Newark underboss Saverio, suspect in Badami murder)

- Likely some old timers flew under the radar we're unaware of. Could have been some ex-Newark members who were either elderly or dead by the time LE started intensifying their investigation.

- Anthony Acceturro said the members of the Lucchese group in New Jersey numbered 20, but more than 100 associates worked for him. That must include both newly made members in the 1970s/80s plus survivors of the old crew.

- Accetturro was also familier with the break-up of the Newark Family. Don't know how deep his knowledge went but someone told him there'd been a Newark Family who was disbanded. My guess is most of the original NJ Lucchese members were first with Newark so not surprised it would come up in conversation. For example, reports in Richie Boiardo's file say the Accardis, Pizzolatos, and Lombardinos were all one group in the 1920s/30s.

- There was a lot of confusion around these guys. There's a DeCarlo tape where he and Pussy Russo argue for a minute about whether the Pizzolatos are Gambino members or Lucchese. Russo insisted they were Gambino but DeCarlo knew they were Lucchese. It was in reference to a sitdown where Benny Pizzolato was going to represent associate Anthony Accetturo.
It's too bad Accetturro never wrote a book. Same w Tommy Ricciardi.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:28 am My best guess is the Lucchese NJ crew consisted of these members 1950s - 1970s:

Notable associates:

Did most of this come from Bill Feather? If not, I'm curious at how you arrived to your conclusions.

- Benny Pizzolato, the oldest of the Pizzolato brothers. First, it's pretty rare for three brothers to be members in the same family, not to mention the same crew. Second, do we have sources that confirm that he was a capo?

- Stefano Badami. Why would he be in the Lucchese Family and not the Decavalcante Family? Also, there's the question of him being the Newark boss. Nick Gentile has Gaspare D'Amico as the Newark boss during that period, or was Badami deposed and replaced by D'Amico? Or is it possible that Badami was really an early boss of the Elizabeth Family? Joe Valachi referred to "Don Steve" as the Newark boss having trouble with Ritchie the Boot, but to a guy like Valachi, Newark could represent Elizabeth. After all, the two cities border each other and Newark is far better known and larger. It's similar to the Angels, based in Anaheim, being called the Los Angeles Angels. It's common to refer to a smaller city by its larger neighbor.

- Getting back to Settimo Accardo, it looks like guilt by association. You could very well be correct, but the fact is that all the documentation discovered so far is that he was a Genovese member or belonged to an unknown borgata. I haven't seen any documentation that shows him to be a capo.

So what I get is that this is a speculative theory with little evidence to support it. Your theory could be right. Maybe Accardo's FBI file has the answer and will provide confirmation for your theory. For the record, I don't have a dog in this fight except for wanting better and more evidence.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

There was a Baldassare Accardi also from Vita active in Ontario during the 50s/60s involved in narcotics with Benedetto Zizzo from Salemi. I never managed to know if he was a relative to Settimo. Someone knows ?