Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by B. »

Never thought of the name similarity until now. Not sure what his real name/background is.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Other NJ crew breakdowns from the FBI circa 1963:

Caporegime: Eugene Catena
Members:
"Balsey" TNU
Ralph Belvedere
Nicholas Bufania
Frank Catena
Angelo LaPadura
Peter LaPlaca (in prison)
John Lardiere
Anthony Nino
Joseph Pecora
Thomas Pecora
Daniel Polidori
"Tar Baby" TNU
Carmine Toto

--

Caporegime: Angelo DeCarlo
Members:
Peter Costello
Joseph Polverino
William Rega
Anthony Santoli
Carl Silesia

Suspected members:
Angelo Casamasso
Rosario Miraglia
Louis Percello
Anthony Zullo
Carmine Zullo

--

NJ-based members of Tommy Eboli decina:
Louis Manna
Michael Graziano
George Martinelli
Larry Dentico

--

Unknown:

Tony Provenzano (suspected capodecina)
Carmine Battaglia
Salvatore Briguglio
Charles Campisi
Thomas Campisi
Dr. Daniel Noto (Catena crew?)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- For Springfield/Worcester, Ray Patriarca was recorded saying he presided over the inductions of Pinky Panarelli, Frank Scibelli, and two redacted names. He also inducted a Mario LNU (Fiore?) and six others who were made and then transferred to the Genovese Family. Not sure if the six includes Panarelli, Scibelli, and the first two redacted names or if it was six in addition to those named.

- According to Patriarca, existing Genovese members in Springfield/Worcester before the above were made included Sam Cufari, Nicky Camerota, and Jimmy Collaro.

- Informants told the FBI the following names were made members in Springfield/Worcester:

Nicholas Camerota
James Collaro
Salvatore Cufari
Mario Fiore
Chester Iacone
Salvatore Iacone
Carlo Mastrototaro
Joseph Mineo
Cosmo Panarelli
Thomas SanFratello
Francis Santo
Albert Scibelli
Anthony Scibelli
Frank Scibelli

Suspected:
Louis Maloni
Henry Siciliano

--

Another possible remote member is Biaggio Angelica. Ex-NYC who moved to Houston, Texas. Chicago informant DeRose knew Angelica and ID'd him as a Genovese member based in Texas. Not sure if anyone else confirmed it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:08 pm Never thought of the name similarity until now. Not sure what his real name/background is.
I don't know anything about him apart from him being mentioned in some 60s FBI files as an associate of the Boiardos and a suspected LCN member.

From what I can tell, he was the Toby Boyd born in 1926 who died in 2004 in Tom's River. His parents were Samuel Boyd, Sr and Caroline "Lena" D'Ambola. He grew up in the old First Ward Italian neighborhood on Factory St, a little street that has since been demolished but ran into Garside (of The Sopranos HUD scam fame). His mother's parents were probably from Avellino province and the D'Ambolas lived in the same building as the Floyds on Factory St. On the 1930 Census, Samuel Boyd stated that both of his parents were from NJ, so I think it's possible that he was not Italian. If so, would be a big deal if Toby Boyd was actually made.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The source that identified Boyd as a made member was the DeCarlo HQ bug. Haven't seen the transcript where it's actually stated.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:59 pm The source that identified Boyd as a made member was the DeCarlo HQ bug. Haven't seen the transcript where it's actually stated.
Oh wow. If it was the case that he his dad was non-Ital, maybe he was close enough to the Boiardo family that they didn’t care. He definitely seems to have been a major player in the 60s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- When I said Dr. Daniel Noto, I meant Dr. Philip Noto was the Genovese member likely under the Catenas. Daniel was his brother who was a Genovese member that transferred to the DeCavalcantes. Daniel Noto was still a Genovese member as of 1963 according to a wiretap between Eboli and Gene Catena but seeking transfer at the time, which Eboli was happy to grant as he didn't like him.

- By this time Philip Lombardo was acting captain for Mike Coppola who lived full-time in Florida.

- Along with the guys in the Valachi chart list, other confirmed Coppola members would be Michael Erra, Salvatore Bellomo, Al Rosato, and probably Jimmy Catania (Cesare Terranova's nephew).

- Confirmed member of Catena crew was "Patsy" LNU, who died in 1964 and was around 76-years-old.

- Another confirmed member of Catena crew was Dom Ferraro. Gene Catena was recorded telling Tommy Pecora how Ferraro hadn't contacted him in 9 months and Pecora was in disbelief that a "friend of ours" wouldn't touch base with Catena. They also discuss how Ferraro cheated Catena out of money and on the tape Catena assigns Ferraro's murder to Pecora. Ferraro was disliked by Vito Genovese and Jimmy Alo.

- Suspected member with the Catena crew was Robert Tarantino (bro-in-law of Pete LaPlaca).

- I count 49 confirmed members of the Genovese in NJ at this time, so no question they had 50+ NJ members. They were bigger than the DeCavalcantes.
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:29 am Carmine Zeccardi, Eli, (parents from Avellino), married Calogera (Lillian) Corrao of Vincenzo and Mary Maniscalco, both from Sciacca. Didn't see that one coming.
Zeccardi's son also married into the Indelicatos of the Bonanno Family. Must have spent a lot of time with the Little Italy Sciacchitani.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thanks B.

Updated the excel with those members, also added the crew breakdown from the 63 chart and now its divided alphabetically by crew.

I did encounter something. On that original 63 chart there's a crew on there with no name, between Miranda and Coppola. I always assumed they were part of the Miranda crew but looking at how "Miranda" is centered over one column and then on the next one the alphabetical list starts at A again.

Since 2001 I've looked at this thing probably 100 times and never noticed that. Kinda embarrassing.

Anyways, we're at 266 members, 238 soldiers (including AC's), 157 are crewed up and 81 that aren't. Not bad.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

This document is confusing, is it saying the last three men are retired captains or retired members listed after the captains?

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0Santuccio
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Looking at the list above and comparing it with the 63 chart, missing on the chart as captains are Eugene Catena, Angelo DeCarlo, Pete DeFeo, Mickey DiMino, Cosmo Frasca and Michele Miranda (who was consig at the time).

Pete DeFeo was listed as a soldier in the Miranda column. Perhaps DeFeo became official once Miranda's Consig position occured?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Based off the above-

1 Vincent Alo (succeeded Joe Adonis)
-Acting: Gerardo Laietta

2 James Angelina
-Acting: Matty Fortunato

3 Ruggerio Boiardo

4 Eugene Catena

5 Pete DeFeo (succeeded Mike Mirada who became official Consigliere in 1957)

6 Frank Coppola (Succeeded Ciro Terranova in 1931)
-Acting - Phil Lombardo

7 Angelo DeCarlo

8 Mikey DiMino

9 Cosmo Frasca

910 Thomas Greco

11 Rocco Pellegrino
-Acting- Rosario Mogavero

Suspected:

12 Carmine Battaglia

13 Anthony Provenzano

Which matches this- the FBI concluded that DeCarlo's use of "13 Families" referred to 13 Genovese Family Crews-
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Number 6 you mean "Trigger Mike" Coppola. Thomas Greco AKA Tommy Palmer was reportedly the successor of Lucky Luciano's crew.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The FBI was very confused about Carmine Battaglia and the reference above came from a sitdown where Battaglia spoke on Caponigro's behalf. The FBI deduced that Caponigro was under Battaglia which wasn't true, he was apparently just speaking on his behalf in the dispute.

There's an FBI report that discusses how Pietro Campisi sponsored Carmine Battaglia into Cosa Nostra and later Battaglia sponsored Campisi's sons. Battaglia's house was used in the 1940s for Genovese induction ceremonies in NJ and references to him on the DeCarlo tapes make it pretty clear he was a Genovese member but not well-liked by other members.

The Sicilian Genovese members in NJ tend to be the most enigmatic. Dr. Noto, the Campisis, Battaglia, etc. I believe Pietro Campisi and Battaglia were probably Newark members originally.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Phil Lombardo is just as elusive in death as he was in life.

The FBN books lists his DOB as 10/5/1908 in New York City and lists his parents names as Filippo and Eleanor Rotolo. An Ancestry Family tree lists his parents as Filippo and Leonarda Rotolo from Palermo and takes the family tree back to the 1700's but provides absolutely no sources. Whoever did the tree either has a wild imagination or it's a relative who added stuff without sources, in which case I should be able to find them on my own.

His 1942 draft lists the same address as the FBN book but also lists his mother's name as Mary, not Eleanor. A "Philip Lombardo" is listed as his employer and there's a slight chance he meant himself but that usually states "self-employed."

But getting back to Mary, there is a Mary Lombardo with a son Philip (born 1908) living in E Harlem, the father's name is Nathan-

Looking up LCN Member Phil Lombardo in the papers, there's next to nothing on anything biographical so I can't find any evidence that he married a Sadie and the above may not even be him. Looking up Sadie brought me to a Sadie Federico whose in a tree listing her married to a "John P. Lombardi" and refers to the 1940 census above.

And this newspaper article is just trolling me with the names- Image

There was a Filippo and Maria Lombardo also living in E Harlem from Marsala, but none of their children are named Philip.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I have an NYC birth record for a Filippo Lombardo, born 10/06/1908 in Manhattan to Natale and Maria. That would match the "Nathan" Lombardo you have above. I think it's a good chance this is Benny Squints, but as you note, there is very little in terms of biographical info to confim.

Natale Lombardo seems to be the same who was born ~1870 and died in 1933 in NYC. On his death record, his parents were listed as Frank Lombardo and Maria Calandrucci. No record of his origin beyond Italy that I've seen.