Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Turned out that Farina wasn´t made. It looks like when he started feeding information, he may have embollished his status and falsely claimed that he was a made member.
There you have it, never printed before.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Interesting. JD has him listed on his death list.

Re- Harry Lanza crew:

According to Scarpa Vincent 'Gene Harlow' Martino was introduced to him as a soldier under Joseph Lanza (mistake, meaning Harry). On the other hand, another Informant, I believe Carmine 'Fats' Tagliatella, claimed that Ralph Polizio was 'with' Martino. Would that indicate he was also in the Lanza crew? Worth mentioning Tagliatella believed Martino was a Gambino member;
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I remember it being the opposite -- that Farina told the FBI he wasn't made but they determined he was a member through other sources.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:17 pm I remember it being the opposite -- that Farina told the FBI he wasn't made but they determined he was a member through other sources.
I looked at the files again -- when he began cooperating Farina denied being a member himself but identified a number of other Cosa Nostra members.

Another source had Farina being made around 1949 which fits the period when Boiardo's longtime associates were getting made.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

By the end of Jan 1951, the only made men around Boiardo appear to be William Cardinale, the Russo bros, and Charles Tourine.

Cardinale went missing on Jan 30 1951. DeCarlo seems pretty clear that the only those 4 were made members.

I’d lean towards Farina being a member. However, as late as October 1947, he was with the Caponigro gang.

Farina’s mentioned a few times on the DeCarlo tapes and it seems clear that he’s a member of the Boiardo crew. I’d guess he was made in the ‘50s like the bulk of that group.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The DeCarlo anecdote is good but hard to say if he was truly giving a definitive list of everyone made by that time or just rattling off names that came to mind in the moment. Either way my take is that Farina did become a made member, he just didn't want to admit it to the FBI.

I also wouldn't read too much into Farina's association with Caponigro. Farina went back with Tony Boiardo long before Caponigro was a major figure and Caponigro mingled with the Boiardo crew. He was misidentified as a Boiardo crew member with the Genovese on the Valachi chart.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

From my Boiardo thread some years back. This came from his FBI file:
- Boiardo sponsored Eugene "Gino" Farina into the Genovese family in the late 1940s. Farina would become an informant as early as February 1964, telling the FBI that both Richie and Tony Boiardo were made members in the Genovese family and giving general background on Boiardo and his crew in addition to information about their activities. In a 1966 report, Farina claimed to have taken an "oath in blood" and "swore to God" when he was inducted into the Genovese family. Farina allegedly participated in murders on Boiardo's behalf, but his main task was keeping records and "books" of Boiardo's operations. Farina and Tony Boiardo did not get along but Richie Boiardo was "adamant" that his son consult with Farina and the senior Boiardo relied on Farina to "keep 'Tony Boy' out of trouble." A 1972 report cites an informant who states that Farina was killed several years earlier and made to disappear for stealing money from Boiardo's gambling operations, which Farina had been operating. When questioned about Farina's disappearance in May 1968, approximately 7 months after he went missing, Boiardo said Farina used to be "with" him and didn't know where he "ran off" to, but said Farina's "big problem" was "he wanted to be a boss." He later told the FBI that he and Farina used to "chase girls" together and he believed Farina's disappearance was because he "ran off" with a Sicilian girl.
Appears Farina initially denied his own membership and later admitted it. He also told the FBI his father had known Boiardo.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

EUGENE JOSEPH CATENA - Capo
(Gene)
DOB: May 16 1904
POB: Newark, NJ
F: Francesco Catena
M: Donata Speziale
W: Rose Amendola
Occupation: Owner - Best Sales Co. (126 Clinton Ave, Newark, NJ)
Address: 290 Forrest Rd, S Orange, NJ
Prior addresses: 1034 Stowe St, Union, NJ; 284 Van Buren St, Newark, NJ; 288 Oliver St, Newark, NJ
Death: Aug 2 1967
Family from Romagnano al Monte, Salerno, Campania

FRANK CATENA
DOB: Jan 21 1909
F: Francesco Catena
M: Donata Speziale
W: Veronica Mulligan
Occupation: President - International Longshoreman Association, Local 1235
Address: 2135 Belwyn St, Union, NJ
Prior addresses: 81 Nicholas St, Newark, NJ; 2135 Van Buren Pl, Union, NJ; 288 Oliver St, Newark, NJ; 284 Van Buren St, Newark, NJ
Death: Nov 6 1971
Family from Romagnano al Monte, Salerno, Campania

GIUSEPPE PECORA
(Joseph, Joe Peck)
DOB: Apr 19 1905
POB: Castrogiovanni, Enna, Sicily
F: John Pecora
M: Brigida Viggiano
W: Anna Mary Tarascio
Address: 9 Maybaum Ave, Newark, NJ
Prior Addresses: 163 Camden St, Newark, NJ; 174 Newton St, Newark, NJ
FBI #: 1038202
SBI #: 67600
Death: Apr 24 1992

The Pecora bros along with the Catena bros started out as members of the Abner Zwillman mob.

GAETANO PECORA
(Thomas, Tommy, Timmy Murphy)
DOB: Feb 12 1907
POB: Castrogiovanni, Enna, Sicily
F: John Pecora
M: Brigida Viggiano
W: Florence George
Address: 87 Tuxedo Pkwy, S Orange, NJ // 1450 Atlantic Shores Blvd, Hallandale Beach, FL 
Prior addresses: 438 S 17th St, Newark, NJ; 699 S 11th St, Newark, NJ; 163 Camden St, Newark, NJ; 174 Newton St, Newark, NJ
FBI #: 110271
SBI #: 12134
Death: Aug 1987

Thomas Pecora was very close to Jerry Catena serving as his driver. Jerry was the best man at his wedding.

GIOVANNI ANTONIO LARDIERI
(John Lardiere, Johnny Coca-Cola, Giovanni Darducci)
DOB: Jun 29 1909
F: Federico Angelo Lardiere
M: Giuseppina Milano
W: Carolyn Racioppi - Killed by poison in 1972
Address: 211 N 13th St, Newark, NJ // 170 Sutter St, Toms River, NJ
Prior Addresses: 448 N 5th St, Newark, NJ;
FBI #: 679989
Death: Apr 10 1977 - Killed by Mike Coppola
Family from Teora, Avellino, Campania

Lardiere had strong ties to New England with arrests in Boston and Hartford. He was inducted into the NE family before transferring.

NICHOLAS BUFANIO
(Bufania, Joe Bones)
DOB: Dec 23 1916
F: Simplicio Anthony Bufanio (Nocera Inferiore, Salerno, Campania)
M: Lena Toto (Castelpetroso, Isernia, Molise)
W: Vera “Jean Doyle” Alcamo
Address: 1542 Everett Cr, Union, NJ
Prior Addresses: 78 Jefferson St, Newark, NJ; 89 Nichols St, Newark, NJ; 196 Johnson St, Newark, NJ
SBI #: 127795
FBI #: 817875
Death: May 16 1998

His mother’s brother was Carmine Toto, another member of the Catena crew.

FRANK CARMEN TOTO
(Carmine, Fat Toto/Todd)
DOB: May 11 1904
F: Libero “William” Toto
M: Maria Antonia D'Uva
W: Irene Grajewski
Address: 1058 Liberty Ave, Union, NJ
Prior addresses: 158 Milltown Rd, Springfield, NJ; 182 E Kinney St, Newark, NJ; 24 Downing St, Newark, NJ;
FBI #:389837
Death: Jul 1981
Family from Castelpetroso, Isernia, Molise

Toto’s nickname of “Fat Todd” was likely a mishearing of “Fat Toto”. He may have been related to future capo Tino Fiumara.

DOMINIC JOSEPH FERRARO
(Ferrara, Ferrera, Fat)
DOB: Jul 27 1901
POB: Boonton, NJ
F: Francesco Ferraro
M: Rosa Montalto
W: Antoinette “Jennie” Incenzo
Address: 10 Washington Ave, Nutley, NJ
Prior addresses: 10 Hagert St, Nutley, NJ; 75 River Rd, Nutley, NJ
Death: May 30 1989 - Saunderstown, RI
Family from Ariano Irpino, Avellino, Campania

He started out as a member of the Dutch Schultz mob. In 1964, he disappeared with Catena’s money and appears to have gone to Rhode Island. He owned the Old Acres Restaurant (1065 Tower Hill Rd, N Kingstown, RI)

GIUSEPPE STASSI - Fugitive
(Joseph, Joe Rogers, Hoboken Joe, Joe Stacey)
DOB: Dec 2 1906
POB: NYC, NY
F: Giuseppe Stassi
M: Anna LoProto (or Accardo)
W: Estelle “Stella” Bendick [Div.]
Address: 1944 E 21st St, Brooklyn, NY
Prior addresses: 955 Harding Rd, Elizabeth, NJ; 10 Stanton St, Manhattan, NY
FBI #: 559327
Death: Oct 20 2002

He was in very high circles from a young age, closely associated with figures like Joe Bruno and Nick Delmore. He was likely the only non-DeCavalcante member to live/operate in Elizabeth, NJ.

GIUSEPPE PIETRO PARLAVECCHIO
(Joseph, Joe Polo, Parlevecchio, Parlavechio)
DOB: Apr 8 1907
POB: Basico, Messina, Sicily
F: Ludovico Parlavecchio
M: Emilia Gregoria
W: Katherine DeLuca
Address: 110 Nichols St, Newark, NJ
Prior addresses: 243 Adams St, Newark, NJ
Death: Dec 1 2007

He had ties to the Philly crew who were also based in Newark’s Ironbound neighborhood. He was a longtime political figure in that area.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If I remember right, the Stassis were from Montemaggiore Belsito, Palermo. I think you've found convincing evidence he was in fact a Genovese member too and not Gambino. Makes sense since they represented the DeCavalcantes back then and Delmore was possibly initiated into the Genovese or otherwie made in a joint ceremony.

Didn't know the Pecoras were from Castrogiovanni. Great job.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

This was Stassi’s father’s WW2 draft card

I couldn’t tell what it said but it doesn’t look like “ Montemaggiore” to me.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

JoelTurner wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:54 pm This was Stassi’s father’s WW2 draft card

I couldn’t tell what it said but it doesn’t look like “ Montemaggiore” to me.
Castelvetrano
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Tony Accardi’s family was from there.

It’s interesting that Joe Stassi’s mother used the last name “Accardo” while coming to the US. My guess is that it was her mother’s maiden name.

I wonder if they could have been related
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I don't think that's the right one. What year is that document from?

Joe's father was born in 1877 and married to Anna, living in Manhattan through 1920, while the Brooklyn one born in 1880 was married to a Margaret which that record seems to indicate. There are other records for both the 1877 and 1880 Giuseppe Stassis that confirm the different birth years and wive's names. Another record confirms more clearly that the August 11 1880 one came from Castelvetrano, Trapani, and it looks like he may have entered the US in 1907.

Joe's father was married in NYC in mid-January 1898 and one census record says he was naturalized in 1899. The same census lists his year of arrival as either 1898 or 1892, it's hard to tell, but an earlier census record says 1892. There was a Giuseppe Stassi born in 1877 who came to NYC from Montemaggiore in 1892 which I've suspected is him. Joe's mother Anna LoProto is on an immigration manifest from 1895, the same year she gave to the census bureau later, but unfortunately doesn't say her hometown beyond Italy. They lived next to an Antonino Rao on the Lower East Side circa 1920 but haven't looked into whether there's a connection to the East Harlem Raos.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

eboli wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:20 pm
InCamelot wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:35 pm Any further details on Celano? For a guy who succeeded Miranda he's pretty under the radar.
From a research viewpoint, I don't find him too interesting as a mafia figure, but he was a very successful mobster. Celano made his bones as a driver and muscle during Prohibition. No extensive criminal record other than gambling arrests. In the 1920s, he lived on 47th Street between 13th and 14th Ave in Borough Park, Brooklyn. He forged a name for himself as a solid, reliable guy. They made him in the same ceremony as Funzi and DeFeo. He was involved in all sorts of scams, but his reputation was that of a vicious loan shark. In later years, he wanted to be known as a restaurant owner - he had a joint at 98 Kenmare Street. In the early 1960s, the FBI considered him a possible compromise candidate for the boss position because he was an old guy who was well-liked.
InCamelot wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:46 pm At some point the Ardito was also in the administration in the 70s, so I wonder who was acting for his crew and what that crew's succession really is. Former Alo members like Centore, Cockeyed Nick, and even Rudy Santobello and Joe Dente Sr were already in the Bronx at that time, but I never could tell if Ardito had any overlap with them. I recall that Santobello acted for Ardito in the 80s when he was in prison, but I had thought him and Dente Sr were always under Larry Black Centore as well.

And then its possible Mario Gigante was in the picture by the 80s.
Generally, the Bronx crews are a mess because we don't have enough relevant info. Mario Gigante split off from the Greenwich Village Crew, supervising operations he started in Yonkers and Westchester County. He probably inherited some rackets in the late 1980s and early 1990s, especially after the disbandment of his former crew in 1993 after Canterino's death. I have to dig in my files for more precise info on the Ardito crew because I can't recall anything noteworthy from the top of my head about the era we're discussing.
Hi Eboli, I have a question re- Celano:

In the BH Crew Succession chart, John Ardito is listed as succeeding Celano, but Ardito was Consigliere throughout the 1970s. Also in the Succession chart says that Rosario 'Sally' Palmieri was capo of the former Greco crew in the late 1970s.

In JD's DeCicco wakes post on Vincent DeCicco in 1979 he names Rosario Palmieri and Joseph 'Lefty' LaPadura both as captains. LaPadura was always with Tommy Greco's crew so it would make a lot of sense if he took over that crew.

In a April 1974 report there is a name (TNU) listed as a captain with Joe Famularo as a soldier under him. Famularo was definitely under Frank Celano in the 1960s. It's possible that the name is Danny Noto, but then would 'Danny Noto' really be a "TNU" (?). Do you think it is possible that Palmieri took over Celano's crew, and after he was demoted in 1980 John Ardito became capo?
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:38 pm It's possible that the name is Danny Noto, but then would 'Danny Noto' really be a "TNU" (?)
Danny Noto transferred to the DeCavalcante family in ~1964