Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bn
Straightened out

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by bn »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:14 pm
bn wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:38 pm It's possible that the name is Danny Noto, but then would 'Danny Noto' really be a "TNU" (?)
Danny Noto transferred to the DeCavalcante family in ~1964
Thanks, then it would seem even more likely that the redacted name is 'Solly Young' (TNU).
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

bn wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:38 pm
eboli wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:20 pm
InCamelot wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:35 pm Any further details on Celano? For a guy who succeeded Miranda he's pretty under the radar.
From a research viewpoint, I don't find him too interesting as a mafia figure, but he was a very successful mobster. Celano made his bones as a driver and muscle during Prohibition. No extensive criminal record other than gambling arrests. In the 1920s, he lived on 47th Street between 13th and 14th Ave in Borough Park, Brooklyn. He forged a name for himself as a solid, reliable guy. They made him in the same ceremony as Funzi and DeFeo. He was involved in all sorts of scams, but his reputation was that of a vicious loan shark. In later years, he wanted to be known as a restaurant owner - he had a joint at 98 Kenmare Street. In the early 1960s, the FBI considered him a possible compromise candidate for the boss position because he was an old guy who was well-liked.
InCamelot wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:46 pm At some point the Ardito was also in the administration in the 70s, so I wonder who was acting for his crew and what that crew's succession really is. Former Alo members like Centore, Cockeyed Nick, and even Rudy Santobello and Joe Dente Sr were already in the Bronx at that time, but I never could tell if Ardito had any overlap with them. I recall that Santobello acted for Ardito in the 80s when he was in prison, but I had thought him and Dente Sr were always under Larry Black Centore as well.

And then its possible Mario Gigante was in the picture by the 80s.
Generally, the Bronx crews are a mess because we don't have enough relevant info. Mario Gigante split off from the Greenwich Village Crew, supervising operations he started in Yonkers and Westchester County. He probably inherited some rackets in the late 1980s and early 1990s, especially after the disbandment of his former crew in 1993 after Canterino's death. I have to dig in my files for more precise info on the Ardito crew because I can't recall anything noteworthy from the top of my head about the era we're discussing.
Hi Eboli, I have a question re- Celano:

In the BH Crew Succession chart, John Ardito is listed as succeeding Celano, but Ardito was Consigliere throughout the 1970s. Also in the Succession chart says that Rosario 'Sally' Palmieri was capo of the former Greco crew in the late 1970s.

In JD's DeCicco wakes post on Vincent DeCicco in 1979 he names Rosario Palmieri and Joseph 'Lefty' LaPadura both as captains. LaPadura was always with Tommy Greco's crew so it would make a lot of sense if he took over that crew.

In a April 1974 report there is a name (TNU) listed as a captain with Joe Famularo as a soldier under him. Famularo was definitely under Frank Celano in the 1960s. It's possible that the name is Danny Noto, but then would 'Danny Noto' really be a "TNU" (?). Do you think it is possible that Palmieri took over Celano's crew, and after he was demoted in 1980 John Ardito became capo?
There's contradicting info about the Genovese consigliere throughout the 1970s. Ardito was of the names brought up alongside guys like Ferro, Salerno, Chin, etc. Ardito also sat on a ruling panel set up by Tieri circa 1977, and the FBI had him only as a caporegime by that time. He inherited Celano and acted as his acting capo before the latter died.

Regarding the former Grecco Crew -- the information I have is that they were captains of the same crew at different times. It could've been a situation in which they acted as captains in a non-permanent role. The Genovese family was known for such an arrangement during this period. The Thomas Pecora / Pete LaPlaca situation is a good example.

Noto, indeed, transferred to the DeCavalcante family in the early 1960s. Here's an excerpt from a piece I wrote some time ago that covered the subject:
With the insurgency issue quickly forgotten, Catena carried on as usual. Between 1963 and 1964, he met several times with Dr. Philip Noto of 121 Prospect Street, Passaic, New Jersey. Noto was Passaic's health officer and a soldier in the Genovese crime family. Around 1963, Philip Noto sought Catena's help in the transfer of Daniel 'Danny' Noto. Danny was a mafia soldier in a New York-based crew who wanted to relocate to New Jersey, but Tommy Eboli and his unnamed captain were apprehensive. Catena somehow resolved the dispute satisfyingly for all parties.

Dr. Philip Noto's association with Catena didn't end there. Jerry used him as a messenger when Eugene Catena wasn't available. Noto was the principal contact with the DeCavalcante crime family administration. Jerry Catena wanted to assist Simone DeCavalcante in getting used to his recent boss promotion and told him to contact Noto if he needed Catena's help settling any New Jersey affairs. Why Catena was so helpful is unclear, but it's likely because Sam DeCavalcante was the nephew of Catena’s old friend Nick Delmore. Plus, Catena was the DeCavalcante crime family’s avugad on the commission.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

was noto an MD or a dr jill biden??
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

CornerBoy wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:18 am was noto an MD or a dr jill biden??
Medical doctor.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

It appears that (brothers?) John 'Johnny Russo' Riccardi and Anthony 'Little Georgie' Riccardi were in the GV crew.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:43 pm It appears that (brothers?) John 'Johnny Russo' Riccardi and Anthony 'Little Georgie' Riccardi were in the GV crew.
I'm blanking, who was GV?
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

greenwich village
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Del Duca Crew:

7. Pasquale 'Patsy' Del Duca

- Salvatore DeMarco
- Ralph 'Whitey' Ferraro
- John Del Duca
- Joseph 'Pepi' Santaniello
- Ralph Dolce
- Matthew Principe
- Camillo Parisi
- Paul Lombardino
- Antonio Appierto (probable)
- John Masiello (probable)
- Joseph Scarpinito
- Felice 'Philly' Corbisiero
- Salvatore 'Whitey' Ferraro
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Generosa crew member Vito Campo was from Sciacca, Agrigento, Sicily.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFZY-WPF)

He was born Jan 2 1887 and immigrated in 1906. He lived at 176 Elizabeth St, NYC, NY before moving to Westchester (69 2nd St, New Rochelle, NY)

His capo Vincenzo Generosa had pretty much the same path. Immigrated from Sciacca, lived at Elizabeth St, and moved to Westchester.

Both of these guys were pretty old; we don’t really know how old the Generosa crew was. I wonder if there were other old-time Agrigento Genovese guys who were overlooked.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Joe Masseria is one. Very possible there were more than we know given Gentile called Masseria's faction the Sciacchitani. Good discovery, Joel.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Masseria from Sciacca?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He was born in Menfi just up the coast.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Other Genovese-Sciacca ties I'm aware of:

- Eli Zeccardi was non-Sicilian but related through marriage to the Corraos and Indelicatos, both families from Sciacca with the Gambinos and Gambino/Bonannos. The connection came from Little Italy but Zeccardi was close to the Sciacchitani in particular.

- Sciacchitano Gambino captain Accursio Dimino's 1922 murder was linked to Joe Masseria when he was rising to power -- Alfonso Attardi however said it was D'Aquila who ordered Dimino's murder. Note that the Generosos used the name Dimino. Very common name in Sciacca though.

--

Even though the "Sciacchitani" were on Masseria's side and Gentile was sympathetic with Masseria, it stands out that Gentile was never a member of the Genovese Family. The two NYC Families he joined were the ones with the most Agrigento members over the years, the Gambinos and to a lesser extent the Bonannos. The Bonannos aren't the Gambinos but enough has been found to show they consistently had an element from Agrigento. Then you have the Luccheses whose Brooklyn crew looks to have been formed by guys from AG,. Colombos were the least Agrigentino.

The Genovese seem closer to the Lucchese where there were only a handful of Agrigento members but who knows what's hiding in the cracks given how diverse the Family was.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Was Generosa the only western Sicilian captain in 1963?
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

JoelTurner wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:10 pm Generosa crew member Vito Campo was from Sciacca, Agrigento, Sicily.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFZY-WPF)

He was born Jan 2 1887 and immigrated in 1906. He lived at 176 Elizabeth St, NYC, NY before moving to Westchester (69 2nd St, New Rochelle, NY)

His capo Vincenzo Generosa had pretty much the same path. Immigrated from Sciacca, lived at Elizabeth St, and moved to Westchester.

Both of these guys were pretty old; we don’t really know how old the Generosa crew was. I wonder if there were other old-time Agrigento Genovese guys who were overlooked.

what is the source for campo being a generosa crew member?