Visiting the West Side 1963

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Visiting the West Side 1963

Post by Angelo Santino »

Tony Bender doesn't appear to have been acting boss from 1959-1961-
So according to this document, it was Bender who was demoted, De Quarto made acting and then Pasquale Eboli took it over. I referred to Pogo's charts and that's what he had listed. Excellant work on those crew succession lists, if anyone hasn't seen it I do recommend.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:07 am I have an NYC birth record for a Filippo Lombardo, born 10/06/1908 in Manhattan to Natale and Maria. That would match the "Nathan" Lombardo you have above. I think it's a good chance this is Benny Squints, but as you note, there is very little in terms of biographical info to confim.

Natale Lombardo seems to be the same who was born ~1870 and died in 1933 in NYC. On his death record, his parents were listed as Frank Lombardo and Maria Calandrucci. No record of his origin beyond Italy that I've seen.
If that's him then Benny Squint's parents were from Marsala.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:37 am
PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:07 am I have an NYC birth record for a Filippo Lombardo, born 10/06/1908 in Manhattan to Natale and Maria. That would match the "Nathan" Lombardo you have above. I think it's a good chance this is Benny Squints, but as you note, there is very little in terms of biographical info to confim.

Natale Lombardo seems to be the same who was born ~1870 and died in 1933 in NYC. On his death record, his parents were listed as Frank Lombardo and Maria Calandrucci. No record of his origin beyond Italy that I've seen.
If that's him then Benny Squint's parents were from Marsala.

Nice find. I think it’s a good chance that it’s him.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

That's the correct Natale Lombardo married to Maria Licori and from Marsala.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:20 am Image

Odd.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:58 am That's the correct Natale Lombardo married to Maria Licori and from Marsala.
So if this is the right Philip Lombardo, it won't be the first time the FBN got it wrong. I'm trying to look up the "wrong" people to hopefully find evidence that Phil/Eleanor were parents of a different PL but very little comes up except for this family tree but it has no sources-
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... cessSource
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Print form of the 63 chart, still contains additional info-

Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:19 am
Antiliar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:58 am That's the correct Natale Lombardo married to Maria Licori and from Marsala.
So if this is the right Philip Lombardo, it won't be the first time the FBN got it wrong. I'm trying to look up the "wrong" people to hopefully find evidence that Phil/Eleanor were parents of a different PL but very little comes up except for this family tree but it has no sources-
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... cessSource
FBI SU Philip Lombardo - birth info.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nash143
Straightened out

Post by nash143 »

This version of the chart shows why Rosario Mogavero was absent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Gerald Catena was born 1/8/1902 in Newark to Francesco Catena and Donata Speziale. In Newark there were two FC's, one born 1875 and the other in 1877. The one born 8/7/1875 lists a Caterina Speziale as his sister-in-law. In the 1915 census it shows them living on Van Buren St which states Francesco arrived 25 years ago (1890) and there's a Francesco Catino who arrived in 1890 from where what looks like Ro--iano. Donata was born in 1883 in New Jersey.

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:30 pm Gerald Catena was born 1/8/1902 in Newark to Francesco Catena and Donata Speziale. In Newark there were two FC's, one born 1875 and the other in 1877. The one born 8/7/1875 lists a Caterina Speziale as his sister-in-law. In the 1915 census it shows them living on Van Buren St which states Francesco arrived 25 years ago (1890) and there's a Francesco Catino who arrived in 1890 from where what looks like Ro--iano. Donata was born in 1883 in New Jersey.

The name of the comune is Romagnano del Monte, Salerno, which borders Ricigliano where Vito Genovese and the Catenas in Chicago were from. There's also a 1905 passenger manifest where Francesca Catena returned from Romagnano del Monte to Newark. The manifest stated that he had previously lived in Newark until 1903, so think it's the same guy. The other Francesca Catena in Newark was also born in Romagnano al Monte, so they may have been cousins (the other guy married a Concetta Cantalupo).

Donata's parents were Francesco Speciale and Santa "Malepede" (they lived at that same address at 284 Van Buren, so I'm sure this was them). I don't have a document confirming their origins, but I very strongly suspect that they were from Ricigliano. The surname Malepede is originally spelled Malpede, and is almost diagnostically linked to Ricigliano (many Malpedes in Chicago also, which was the primary destination for Riciglianesi). There are also Speziales in the Ricigliano area and other Speziales from Ricigliano settled in Newark.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Probably no connection but there was a Newark Colombo member named Angelo Speciale born in Montelepre.

One of my questions is still who was in Willie Moretti's decina in the 1930s. Most of the major guys we know of were made in the mid-1940s. Valachi said Moretti had an army under him, but how much of that army was made at the time?

Really interesting the Lombardos are from Marsala like Masseria.
Last edited by B. on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:19 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:30 pm Gerald Catena was born 1/8/1902 in Newark to Francesco Catena and Donata Speziale. In Newark there were two FC's, one born 1875 and the other in 1877. The one born 8/7/1875 lists a Caterina Speziale as his sister-in-law. In the 1915 census it shows them living on Van Buren St which states Francesco arrived 25 years ago (1890) and there's a Francesco Catino who arrived in 1890 from where what looks like Ro--iano. Donata was born in 1883 in New Jersey.

The name of the comune is Romagnano del Monte, Salerno, which borders Ricigliano where Vito Genovese and the Catenas in Chicago were from. There's also a 1905 passenger manifest where Francesca Catena returned from Romagnano del Monte to Newark. The manifest stated that he had previously lived in Newark until 1903, so think it's the same guy. The other Francesca Catena in Newark was also born in Romagnano al Monte, so they may have been cousins (the other guy married a Concetta Cantalupo).

Donata's parents were Francesco Speciale and Santa "Malepede" (they lived at that same address at 284 Van Buren, so I'm sure this was them). I don't have a document confirming their origins, but I very strongly suspect that they were from Ricigliano. The surname Malepede is originally spelled Malpede, and is almost diagnostically linked to Ricigliano (many Malpedes in Chicago also, which was the primary destination for Riciglianesi). There are also Speziales in the Ricigliano area and other Speziales from Ricigliano settled in Newark.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ruggiero Boiardo was born ~1890 and arrived in 1901 to NYC with his mother Maria Carmine Favarulo, from Marigliano, Napoli. They were bound for Chicago, where Maria Carmine's husband Antonio Esposito was already living on Forquer St (today Arthington), in the Taylor St Italian community, which had a major settlement of Napoletani. As one can imagine, there were many Antonio Espositos in Chicago, some from Marigliano and others from Acerra, where Diamond Joe Esposito was from. Marigliano and Acerra are very close to each other, and both comuni were major centers of Camorra activity in the 19th century. Worth noting that there were also other Favarulos in Chicago from Marigliano. According to Richard Linnett's book "In the Godfather Garden", Boiardo was born in Naples proper and claimed to have been the illegitimate son of a nobleman. Antonio and Maria Carmine were Ruggiero's adoptive parents, though it seems that he never took the name of Esposito. After arriving in Chicago, young Ruggiero was sent to work in the Union Stockyards and then worked on the railroads for a time. Antonio and Maria Carmine split up in 1906, at which point Maria Carmine took Ruggiero and moved to Newark's 1st Ward, where she also had relatives.

As eboli has noted before, Frank "Farby" Serpico's family was also from Marigliano and there were Outfit-connected Serpicos in Chicago from around Marigliano.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Boiardo was born Dec 8, 1890, in Naples. He attended night school in Chicago (during an interview he said he lived in Chicago from 1897 to 1904 - although he said he arrived on the SS Victor Emmanuel on Dec 18, 1900), then came to NJ where he had his first arrest in 1917 (a different report has 1914). He came into prominence as a racketeer in 1925 when he belonged to a gang headed by Frank Mazzocchi. By 1930 Boiardo and Mazzocchi were enemies. His wife was Jennie Manfro.