New LCNBios posts

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

New LCNBios posts

Post by B. »

"Salvatore Giglia (Patriarca Member)"
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/03/sa ... ember.html

"Gambino Arrest Photo (1964)"
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/03/ga ... -1964.html

Cavita will find the Giglia one very interesting...
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: New LCNBios posts

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Wow. JD's still lurking. Good to know. Cheers B.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

Why did Carmine die in Dallas?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Any idea why Carmine Dellacroce was called "Chicago Jim"? Did the Dellacroces have any known Chicago connections? I see that the Carmine Dellacroce who died in 1969 in Dallas was born 1905 in NYC.

And interesting info on Giglia. Looks like there could have been a couple of different potential Rockford-Patriarca connections via Aragonesi in different decades.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I have some files that refer to the "Dellacroce brothers" in tandem as active Little Italy figures earlier on but nothing about their ties to other places. Nothing about Carmine's membership in there either. As usual JD breaks new ground.

DiGiacomo joined an Aragona colony in Boston and used a local Buscemi as a witness. Giglia shows there were definite Boston members from there. I think that member who disappeared Caruana must have come from an Agrigento background too given his name.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He's rolling them out:

"Joseph Meringolo (Bufalino)"
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2022/03/jo ... alino.html

The Meringolos were alleged Bufalino members who lived in Manhattan/Brooklyn/North Jersey -- wonder how many members of non-NYC/NJ Families lived full-time in NYC/NJ over the years. Only other one I'm aware of is Joe Sabella of the Buffalo Family.
Eld
Straightened out

Post by Eld »

Never knew about Joseph Meringolo, his brother Willie was of course a well known member and truck hijacker.

By the late 1970s the Bufalino family had a small crew of made members in NYC, Edward Sciandra (Capo), Frank Cannone, Charles Fratello, and Angelo Son who maintained an apartment in a Manhattan hotel.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Joseph Meringolo was on the 1985 member list that ScottD posted.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Eld wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:29 am By the late 1970s the Bufalino family had a small crew of made members in NYC, Edward Sciandra (Capo), Frank Cannone, Charles Fratello, and Angelo Son who maintained an apartment in a Manhattan hotel.
Wow. That is interesting. Any pics or bios of these guys.
A full Bufalino crew in NYC. How unusual.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I recall the Bufalinos also had some interests in the garment center. I know they had several members who operated in upstate NY but didn't know they had members active in the city itself.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:48 pm
Eld wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:29 am By the late 1970s the Bufalino family had a small crew of made members in NYC, Edward Sciandra (Capo), Frank Cannone, Charles Fratello, and Angelo Son who maintained an apartment in a Manhattan hotel.
Wow. That is interesting. Any pics or bios of these guys.
A full Bufalino crew in NYC. How unusual.
Agreed that it's very interesting, but this sort of thing may not have been completely unusual. People today hear that Philly was making guys in New England, and find that outrageous, as they're thinking that the mafia operates like turf gangs or something. In reality, what Merlino was allegedly doing has precedent in the mafia (as with many things when it comes to the mafia, oftentimes what seems like a new innovation has some precedent in the past). B has cited the DeCavs as a prime example of this phenomenon, as at different times they had crews based in the Hudson Valley, CT, and Brooklyn. Philly, of course, has long had their North NJ crew.

Given that the Pittston family was heavily based on men from Montedoro, Caltanissetta, I'd suspect that their NYC crew was based on a network of Montedoresi in NYC. From what I have, there was an Eduardo "Edward" Sciandra born 1912/1913 in Montedoro, who arrived in NYC in 1920. In 1940, he was living at 224 E 6th St in the East Village/Bowery in Manhattan (btwn 2nd and 3rd Ave).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Eld
Straightened out

Post by Eld »

Some short bios

Edward Sciandra. Address: 2340 Central Avenue Bellmore. According to PA Crime Commission in 1980 "suspected of being in charge of legal and illegal New York City ventures of the Bufalino family". His nephew Eugene Giaquinto was president of the MCA Records Home video division in the 1980s. Giaquinto funneled money from MCA to a company controlled by Sciandra.

Angelo Son. Had a university degree in electrical engineering. Often seen with Bufalino at the Vesuvio resturant in NYC. Indicted in 1980 for fixing horse races. Had an address in Wyoming, PA but like Bufalino spent a lot of time at the Consulate Hotel in Manhattan. Died in 1981.

Frank Cannone. Address: 1613 Third Ave in NYC. Bookmaker. Left NYC in the early 1980s, moved to Endicott, NY.

Charles Fratello. Address: 813 Avenue C in Brooklyn. Moved to Florida in the early 1980s. Convicted of murder there in 1985. Got a life sentence. I belive Anthony Ruggiano, Jr has mentioned Fratello on his Youtube channel, saying they were friends and that Fratello attended his wedding.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Sciandras of the Gambino Family were from Caltanissetta too, maybe Montedoro. For whatever reason the father wasn't made though he was Carlo Gambino's driver.

News to me about all of the Bufalino guys living in NYC. Great info, Eld.

Outsiders tend to focus too much on the geography of these guys when trying to understand them. Geography played a big role and usually there was a center or HQ where most members/leaders lived but there are countless exceptions. There are even bosses who never lived in the city where their Family was based out of.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:47 pm The Sciandras of the Gambino Family were from Caltanissetta too, maybe Montedoro. For whatever reason the father wasn't made though he was Carlo Gambino's driver.

News to me about all of the Bufalino guys living in NYC. Great info, Eld.

Outsiders tend to focus too much on the geography of these guys when trying to understand them. Geography played a big role and usually there was a center or HQ where most members/leaders lived but there are countless exceptions. There are even bosses who never lived in the city where their Family was based out of.
Peanuts tronolone
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Great info.
Thanks PT, Eld, B & Stroccos.