Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by B. »

From some files not on MF:

- What do people have on Angelo Lapi? FBI carried him on a list of Bonanno faction members/suspected members circa 1967. They continued to carry him as suspected on 1970s reports. He's later on the 25 Years After Valachi member list.

- 1970 report ID's Leo Carlino as a deceased member. Also ID'd Salvatore Mirabile as a member, if he wasn't confirmed before. Anthony D'Angelo and Anthony Leone ID'd as suspected members. Also IDs a Salvatore Vitale as a suspected member in NYC -- anyone seen his name? Obviously not the future underboss. Michael Cosenza listed as a confirmed member in Arizona.

- A Joe Notaro is also ID'd as a suspected member circa 1969/1970. Maybe confused with Peter but he is already ID'd on a list of Bonanno loyalists in the same report. Could there be another Joe? The deceased captain Joe Notaro had a brother Peter, not the well-known cousin Peter, so wondering if Peter Notaro also had a brother named Joe.

- A "Giamone" is ID'd as a suspected Bonanno member in Newark circa 1966.

- Willie Ciccone appears on a 1965 Bonanno membership list, as is an Anthony Licata. Ciccone was ID'd on an earlier Bonanno list by an informant whose knowledge was terrible and filled with mistakes, so maybe Ciccone got kept on by accident because of that. Everyone else is a confirmed member -- maybe Licata is Pietro, though the name below is redacted and would fit Pietro Licata.

- Someone named Frank Cintrano or something similar, clarified by the informant to be different from the Lucchese member, also ID'd by a source as a Bonanno member circa mid-1960s.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:18 am From some files not on MF:

- What do people have on Angelo Lapi? FBI carried him on a list of Bonanno faction members/suspected members circa 1967. They continued to carry him as suspected on 1970s reports. He's later on the 25 Years After Valachi member list.

- 1970 report ID's Leo Carlino as a deceased member. Also ID'd Salvatore Mirabile as a member, if he wasn't confirmed before. Anthony D'Angelo and Anthony Leone ID'd as suspected members. Also IDs a Salvatore Vitale as a suspected member in NYC -- anyone seen his name? Obviously not the future underboss. Michael Cosenza listed as a confirmed member in Arizona.

- A Joe Notaro is also ID'd as a suspected member circa 1969/1970. Maybe confused with Peter but he is already ID'd on a list of Bonanno loyalists in the same report. Could there be another Joe? The deceased captain Joe Notaro had a brother Peter, not the well-known cousin Peter, so wondering if Peter Notaro also had a brother named Joe.

- A "Giamone" is ID'd as a suspected Bonanno member in Newark circa 1966.

- Willie Ciccone appears on a 1965 Bonanno membership list, as is an Anthony Licata. Ciccone was ID'd on an earlier Bonanno list by an informant whose knowledge was terrible and filled with mistakes, so maybe Ciccone got kept on by accident because of that. Everyone else is a confirmed member -- maybe Licata is Pietro, though the name below is redacted and would fit Pietro Licata.

- Someone named Frank Cintrano or something similar, clarified by the informant to be different from the Lucchese member, also ID'd by a source as a Bonanno member circa mid-1960s.
Not sure about Lapi. He was based in Queens, arrested in 1958 at the age of 26. Might be a little young to be made unless he had some family connection we don't know about. He was arrested in 1975 for gambling, so he was still involved. I would guess that he was one of the guys recruited by Bill during the split, and if he was made it was well after.

Makes me wonder if Perrone should be included as a suspected member. I'm not sure when he started associating with the Bonannos. Bill in his book kind of puts him on the same level as Carl Simari, but that might just be the nostalgia talking.

Carlino and Mirabile were ID'd by Bill, and he said that Mirabile was under Matty Valvo. Anthony D'Angelo was Thomas and Jerry's brother. Leone was on the same 1965 membership list as Willie Ciccone. He's listed as a Sciacca soldier in some newspaper articles, but he also hung around with Crazy Joe Gallo, getting indicated with him on the extortion charge that sent Gallo to jail. I don't think Leone got convicted.

The Joe Notaro caught my eye too. It's on multiple lists, so it's not just a mistake. I think you're right, could be another Joe in the family that was maybe associated. Don't know about that Salvatore Vitale.

"Anthony" Licata comes from the LaBruzzo tape. It's when he's talking about his promotion:

Not sure how they got "Anthony", if someone in the room said it or the agent misheard. But eventually they figured out it was Pietro.

I always wondered who "Giamone" is, he was let go from that DeCavalcante with Nino Busciglio.

Haven't heard of Frank Cintrano.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A report after Perrone's murder doesn't say if he was a member or associate. In his last book Bill says Perrone was in his "crew" and Perrone went with him, Simari, and Notaro to meet with DeCavalcante but doesn't say his status. If he attended the actual meeting he may have been a member.

Definitely sounds like it was Pietro Licata misID'd as Anthony on the list.

Salvatore Vitale could be connected to Michelangelo Vitale, listed on the Valachi chart w/ the Profaci Family but he was never ID'd by Scarpa and came from Castellammare so if he was a member he could have been with the Bonanno Family or Sicilian mafia. His father was Vito Vitale the boss(?) of Castellammare del Golfo. Not sure if Michelangelo was still in the US in 1963. The FBN only listed a brother Giuseppe but those lists of relatives aren't complete. One of his listed associates was Frank Garofalo which is another sign he was tied to the Bonannos.

Edit: Michaelangelo Vitale's wife was also a Domingo. Deported in 1950 and re-entered the US in 1954.

Edit 2: The FBN had a Salvatore Vitale (b.1903) from Cinisi in Queens close to the Gambino Family and Detroit. Seems unlikely.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:48 am Salvatore Vitale could be connected to Michelangelo Vitale, listed on the Valachi chart w/ the Profaci Family but he was never ID'd by Scarpa and came from Castellammare so if he was a member he could have been with the Bonanno Family or Sicilian mafia. His father was Vito Vitale the boss(?) of Castellammare del Golfo. Not sure if Michelangelo was still in the US in 1963. The FBN only listed a brother Giuseppe but those lists of relatives aren't complete. One of his listed associates was Frank Garofalo which is another sign he was tied to the Bonannos.

Edit: Michaelangelo Vitale's wife was also a Domingo. Deported in 1950 and re-entered the US in 1954.
Vitale's aunt also married John Bonventre so if he was an NYC member it must have been Bonanno. LE had him deceased in Italy by 1965.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Great work B. Sounds like Michelangelo might have been misidentified. On the Valachi chart he's already listed as deceased, so he was dead by the end of 1963.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Found some great stuff:

- Members Nick Castello and Salvatore Marchese's mutual grandmother had the surname Schiro (Filomena Schiro Marchese, b. 1866) and came from Camporeale.

- Nick Castello and Salvatore Marchese's uncle (also named Salvatore Marchese) married the sister of member Nino Rizzuto. Rizzuto was related to Nicolo Schiro through Schiro's mother, maiden name Rizzuto.

- As Kiduknow found already, Salvatore Marchese's mother Laura from Santa Ninfa appears to be a relative of member Joe DiMaria. They came to the US together so worth looking into whether that's his sister -- Laura's father was Mariano and mother was Angelina Saladino. One of Castello/Marchese's aunts married a Saladino.

- Another of Castello and Marchese's aunts married a DiFiore -- might be stretching it but brings to mind later member Tommy DiFiore who I think has roots in the same area of Brooklyn/Queens. Filomena Schiro Marchese and the DiFiores lived by some Tarantolas in Williamsburg, a name from Camporeale that provided a Bonanno member.

--

Certainly looks like Nick Castello and Salvatore Marchese were younger members of the Nicolo Schiro clan like their marital relative Nino Rizzuto. Also connects to the Santa Ninfa group via Joe DiMaria, who in turn was close to the Grimaldis. Wonder if Filomena Schiro was a sister or cousin of Nicolo.

The LaBruzzo tape excerpt LCNBios posted points to Castello and Marchese reporting to Frank LaBruzzo, who was a distant relative of Nicolo Schiro as Antiliar / CC mapped out in their article. Thomas Scardino was another member of that crew from Camporeale and Joe DiMaria + Santa Ninfa guys look to have been as well. Nino Rizzuto was listed by the FBN as associating with Pietro Licata who was with this crew, and Licata was from San Cipirello right next to Camporeale.

Makes you wonder if the older relatives were involved, i.e. Salvatore Marchese's father Matteo.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Said it before, and I'll say it many more times before this is done. Great work B.

I looked back at DiMaria's file to see if they have his parents name in there to confirm. They didn't, but he filed for a passport in 1925 that had his address as 115 Wilson Ave, confirming that he was the same Joseph DiMaria who was a witness to Salvatore's mother Laura naturalization. Definitely looks like they were related.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Interesting info. I have nothing to add besides saying that I'm humbled by the depth of knowledge.

Here's the new layout, I'll have to update the entire Gam chart so I'll be doing that for a week or so more. There's no more room for any more info.
EXA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Filomena Schiro Marchese might have been Nicolo Schiro's sister. Her second son was named Matteo which is the same name as Nicolo Gentile's father. Sicilians name their second son after the mother's father, which would indicate her father was named Matteo Schiro like Nicolo's father. Would make sense why the eldest son married Nino Rizzuto's sister given they were Schiro cousins.

Would mean Salvatore Marchese and Nick Castello's great-uncle was Nicolo Schiro if this can be confirmed.
Last edited by B. on Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:50 pm Filomena Schiro Marchese might have been Nicolo Gentile's sister. Her second son was named Matteo which is the same name as Nicolo Gentile's father. Sicilians name their second son after the mother's father, which would indicate her father was named Matteo Schiro like Nicolo's father. Would make sense why the eldest son married Nino Rizzuto's sister given they were Schiro cousins.

Would mean Salvatore Marchese and Nick Castello's great-uncle was Nicolo Schiro if this can be confirmed.
Did you mean to write Nick Gentile?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

No, Nicolo Schiro -- I always mix their names up.
Last edited by B. on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I was wondering.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

In that original chart, an asterix in front of a name indicates a suspected member. Santo Manfre falls into this cathegory. Although never been listed on official FBI charts, there are circumstances pointing at Manfre actually was a made member. An informant reported sometime in or around 1967 that Manfre would be made the new boss of the Bonanno Family.

Leo Carlino is listed as a deceased Bonanno member on several FBI lists. His origin was Burgio, Agrigento.

Salvatore Marchese was definitely made, but info varies when exactly he was made. He could have been, but I´m not sure if he was made pre 1963. That´s why he has an asterix.

Giuseppe Pizzo was first listed on the Valachi chart, which of course is not 100 percent accurate. But Pizzo´s status as a made man was confirmed on later reliable charts. His dob is Aug 23rd, 1927.

I´m not sure why the FBI would list Joe Natore as a suspected member and to my knowledge, there is no other Joe Natore who was with the Bonanno Family than the one who died in 1966. His brother Peter and Sam Perrone were most likely not made. The confusion, I think, stems from whether or not Peter Notaro, in FBI´s mind, was later made with the Family based in Arizona which in my opinion never existed.

It was JD who discovered Joseph Sinacore being a made man. By first glance, it doesn´t appear that he was the brother of the Frank Sinacore mentioned in an earlier thread.
There you have it, never printed before.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:02 pm I was wondering.
Me too, For a second I was like “whoaaaa” lol.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
nash143
Straightened out

Post by nash143 »

Already an insane thread. I just wish I had more time to look into some of the connections that are being outlined at such a great pace. I did outline the Arizona group here -viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6567&start=15 - but this may need to be revised.