Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bn
Straightened out

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by bn »

Anthony 'Tony R.' Raimondi was (most likely) with the Caruso crew.

Vito 'The Old Man' Bonventre with the Sabella crew. Pietro 'Don Pedro' Alese, Pietro Bonventre, and Dr. Martin Bonventre possibly with that crew.

The Camporeale guys were probably with LaBruzzo (Castello, Scardino, Tarantola, Rizzuto)
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

bn wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:39 am Anthony 'Tony R.' Raimondi was (most likely) with the Caruso crew.

Vito 'The Old Man' Bonventre with the Sabella crew. Pietro 'Don Pedro' Alese, Pietro Bonventre, and Dr. Martin Bonventre possibly with that crew.

The Camporeale guys were probably with LaBruzzo (Castello, Scardino, Tarantola, Rizzuto)
Do you have the source on Vito Bonventre being with Sabella?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD had Vito Bonventre under Sabella circa 1979, not sure about earlier. Makes sense though as Sabella traced at least part of his crew to John Bonventre.
Woofinator
Associate

Post by Woofinator »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:08 pm If I have the right guy, this DiBella was GIOVANNI BATTISTA DIBELLA.

- Born July 19 1885 in Montelepre, Sicily, Italy
- Parents were Giuseppe and Rosalia Di Piazza
- On Apr 14 1912, he married ROSALIA GRIPPI (her parents were Benedetto and Concetta Cusumano).
- She was born Dec 24 1886 in Partinico, Sicily, Italy.
- Lived at 11 168th St, Queens, NY

This John B Dibella was Salvatore Grippi’s brother-in-law. He was married to his sister.

MafiaMembershipCharts says that John V. DiBella was married to a woman named Grippi but I think that wrong.

Based of their names and ages, I’d guess that the two were cousins.
Here's some abbreviated info I have on the Dibella siblings in the US. All of their parents are the above Giuseppe and Rosalia Di Piazza:

Giovanni Battista DiBella
The first to arrive, in 1904 was Giovanni Battista Dibella. "Giovan Battista" is a single name equivalent to Jean-Baptiste, while his brother Giovanni Vincenzo is a first and middle name combination. For clarity's sake I'll call him "Battista" and call G.V. "John" hereafter. Battista was born on 17 October 1884 in Montelepre, Sicily. The birthdate in the post quoted above is a fake one he used on his naturalization record for unknown reasons. Maybe he was trying to conceal a criminal record in Italy? He originally arrived in Manhattan but by 1909 he was living in Grand Rapids Michigan. He returned to New York by 1912 when he married Rosalia in Brooklyn, with Nicolo Schiro as one of the witnesses. Around this time Battista and John started using the Piazza surname and founded the Piazza Brothers grocery and olive oil and wine import business. When Prohibition started the Piazza Brothers business actually had a permit to legally import alcohol for medicinal and religious purposes, probably due to their prior involvement in the business. But that came to an end after Battista was arrested in July 1921 for bootlegging. Here's a contemporary newspaper report on the arrest:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... n_bust.jpg

The charges against Battista seem to have been dropped because I can't find any newspaper update following his arrest other than his liquor import license was revoked in October 1921. He was also allowed to naturalize as a US citizen in November 1921 which is something I can't see happening with a criminal record. In the 1940's he purchases Grande Cheese from Chicago gangsters with Joe Bonanno as a minority shareholder.

Giovanni Vincenzo DiBella "John"
Born on 24 June 1890 in Montelepre, Sicily. He first arrives in the U.S. in 1909 and goes to live with his brother in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He follows his brother to Brooklyn and they found Piazza Brothers. John stays in the US until 1920 or 1921. (His later manifest records say he was in the country from 1909-1920, but he could've fled in 1921 following his brother's arrest.) Periodically traveling to the US a few times until he immigrates full-time again in 1940.

Salvatore DiBella
Born on 23 April 1899 in Montelepre, Sicily. He first arrives in the US in either 1920 or 1921. (He's not living with Battista and John in the 1920 census but is mentioned in the 1921 article as brother "Samuel" who wasn't arrested because he wasn't on the premises during the raid by Federal agents.) In September 1922 he was arrested for the murders of Gutman Diamond (a 17 year old bystander) and Albert Camera (an 18 year old participant) during a bootleggers' gunfight. Salvatore was put on trial for the murder of Diamond but not for Camera in 1923. Following a mistrial, Salvatore was convicted on the lesser charge of manslaughter instead of murder, sparing him the electric chair. Following the end of his sentence in February 1925 he was deported. But then in October 1925 he illegally reentered the US with Battista's help. His destination on the ship's manifest is listed as Detroit. I don't have any solid information past that other than his stay in the US seems to have not been long (or I'm totally missing something).

Vincenzo Dibella
Born on 25 November 1894 in Montelepre, Sicily. He arrives in the US in 1913 and settles in New Jersey.

Giuseppe Dibella
Born on 07 June 1907 in Montelepre, Sicily. He arrives in the US in 1926 and goes to live with brother Battista. In March 1928 a 20 year old "John Dibella" (at least that's the name in newspaper accounts, the biographical information they give matches Giuseppe) living at Battista's 177 Boerum Ave address in Brooklyn is convicted of running a still and is deported.

Provvidenza Dibella
Born in 1902 in Sicily. Married Filippo Candela in 1925 in Montelepre, Sicily. Filippo started working for Grande Cheese in the 1940's. In 1967 the Candelas bought out Grande Cheese from the remaining Dibella family members.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Really great info!

There was a Batista Piazza who owned the Diana Packing Company in Santa Rosa, CA.

It was managed by an “S. Di Bella”. So, this could have been one of the brothers, maybe Salvatore.
(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/276340516/)

—————-

Giuseppe DiBella appears to have lived in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. He was married to a Teresa Aiello.

Apparently, there was a sister Serafina Gaglio in Italy. There was a Vito Gaglio involved with Joe Bonanno in the whole Grande Cheese thing so there was probably some connection there.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I posted this earlier in the thread:

"Bonanno man" could mean anything but it also says he had been an "LCN member from New York" so the source obviously thought he'd been a Bonanno member. I don't know if there's anything else out there that supports it but his in-laws and business partners were Bonannos so he was in that orbit.

JD also had a John Candela as a possible Bonanno member who died in the 1970s, don't know anything about him but maybe there's a tie-in.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s some info on John Candela

- Born in Mar 2 1901 in Montelepre. Father was Francesco Candela (1865-1931)

- Immigrated to a cousin Salvatore Candela in Grand Rapids, MI in 1920
(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6HS-K3V)

He was traveling with a likely relative from San Giuseppe Jato, Gaspare Lo Guidice, who listed his mother as Vincenza Candela. This man was headed to Rochester but was accompanied by a paisan, Vito Costanza, who was headed to his brother Giuseppe Costanza in Frankfort, NY.

- Married to a Rosalie before 1930

- Lived at 1370 Rockaway Pkwy, Brooklyn, NY in 1930

- Lived at 1301 Rockaway Pkwy, Brooklyn, NY in 1940 & 1950

- Died on Mar 1 1977 and was living in Tannersville, NY (upstate)

————————-

- Vincenzo Troia’s mother’s maiden name was Rosalia Costanza and he used the name “Elia Costanza”. Also, his guys (Frank Longo, Tony Riela) had ties to the Frankfort, NY area.

- Philip Candela had a brother named Salvatore who was in Italy at the time of his death in 1977
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great work.

As Cavita has said before, Rockford member Salvatore Immordino lived in both Madison and Frankfort.

He was another Jatino ID'd in the 1920s as a "maffioso" in San Giuseppe. His cousin owned the store in NJ where Troia was killed too. I found that his father Filippo was in Frankfort by the early 1900s.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:55 pm
bn wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:58 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:20 pm
bn wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:52 pm Vincent 'Fort Lee Jimmy' Capasso described as being "with" Nicholas Marangello in the late 1960s, may have been in his crew.
Where is he described as being "with" Marangello? I'm genuinely curious, I hadn't come across that before.
My mistake, it was in the early 1970s (around 1972) I am trying to re-find the file and can't find it.

Around this time the informant reported with Marangello was no longer a captain (did he succeed Joseph DiFilippi as consigliere?) and that Vincent Capasso was reportedly "with" Marangello.

It would make a lot of sense if Capasso was with the Galante crew originally. Joe Zicarelli was another NJ member of that crew. Marangello seems to have taken over the Mike Consolo crew which, Zicarelli was also in. Capasso was very close to Marangello throughout the 1970s and frequented his (Marangello) social club.

Do you have any info on Victor Tramaglino? He was a East Village guy who is listed on some Genovese lists, but an informant identified as a "button" in the Bonannos in the 1970s. I think I've seen him listed under Angelo Caruso before.
Yeah Marangello succeeded DiFilippi as consigliere after he died, then was moved to underboss.

It's definitely likely Capasso would have been with Galante/Consolo, he'd fall more in line with that crew.

Capasso also took over Zaffarano's crew I think which surely had some Galante guys in there.

Haven't looked into Tramaglino much. Might have been the same informant who said he was an uncle to Phil Tartaglia, who is also listed as a Bonanno member, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Given that Armand Pollastrino seems to have been a captain from the 1965 Notaro split well into the 1970s, do you think this is a reasonable crew succession?

Michael Consolo (1965 - 1968) killed
Nicholas Marangello (1968 - 1972) became Consigliere after the death of Joseph DiFilippi
Michael 'Mickey' Zaffarano (1972 - 1975) demoted, in 1977 re-promoted to capo over crew of newly inducted guys
Vincent 'Fort Lee Jimmy' Capasso (1975) stepped down
Angelo 'Moe' Prisinzano (1975 - 1979)

In my opinion this makes a lot of sense.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

bn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 pm Given that Armand Pollastrino seems to have been a captain from the 1965 Notaro split well into the 1970s, do you think this is a reasonable crew succession?

Nicholas Marangello (1968 - 1972) became Consigliere after the death of Joseph DiFilippi
Michael 'Mickey' Zaffarano (1972 - 1975) demoted, in 1977 re-promoted to capo over crew of newly inducted guys

bn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 pm Michael Consolo (1965 - 1968) killed
I'd say so, although it's still pretty murky.

Consolo inherited pretty much the entire Galante/Notaro crew(minus the members who got promoted), and might have gotten members from other crews like Patsy Gigante who was originally under John Aquaro. However it doesn't seem he held onto it for long.

An informant reported in September 1966 that Consolo was recently demoted due to the failure of the attempted hit on Bill Bonanno on Troutman Street:

Consolo does show up on the LCN NYC report in October of 1967 as a caporegime, so he may have been upped again, or it was a mistake.

The quick turnover we see in late 66 through 1967/1968 make it harder to trace the successors, but I'd assume that Frank Mari took over from Consolo since he's been described as an acting captain/captain around that time until he was promoted to underboss for Paul Sciacca.

What I wonder about is Marangello's crew before the split. I haven't seen anything about who would have been in his crew.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:31 pm
bn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 pm Given that Armand Pollastrino seems to have been a captain from the 1965 Notaro split well into the 1970s, do you think this is a reasonable crew succession?

bn wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:16 pm Michael Consolo (1965 - 1968) killed
I'd say so, although it's still pretty murky.

Consolo inherited pretty much the entire Galante/Notaro crew(minus the members who got promoted), and might have gotten members from other crews like Patsy Gigante who was originally under John Aquaro. However it doesn't seem he held onto it for long.

An informant reported in September 1966 that Consolo was recently demoted due to the failure of the attempted hit on Bill Bonanno on Troutman Street:

Consolo does show up on the LCN NYC report in October of 1967 as a caporegime, so he may have been upped again, or it was a mistake.

The quick turnover we see in late 66 through 1967/1968 make it harder to trace the successors, but I'd assume that Frank Mari took over from Consolo since he's been described as an acting captain/captain around that time until he was promoted to underboss for Paul Sciacca.

What I wonder about is Marangello's crew before the split. I haven't seen anything about who would have been in his crew.

From LCNBios:

On April 1, 1968 Giganti's captain Michael Consolo was murdered near his residence in Middle Village, Queens

Perhaps Mari was capo for a while then became underboss, and Consolo replaced him.

If the guys who were under Consolo before Marangello were still with that crew, then Marangello crew would include Frank Prisinzano, Angelo Prisinzano, Anthony Vigneri, Vincent Capasso (very likely), Joseph Zicarelli, Gaetano 'Tony' Lisi, Pasquale Giganti, and possibly the Morale brothers and Sal Giglio.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

bn wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:10 pm
From LCNBios:

On April 1, 1968 Giganti's captain Michael Consolo was murdered near his residence in Middle Village, Queens

Perhaps Mari was capo for a while then became underboss, and Consolo replaced him.

If the guys who were under Consolo before Marangello were still with that crew, then Marangello crew would include Frank Prisinzano, Angelo Prisinzano, Anthony Vigneri, Vincent Capasso (very likely), Joseph Zicarelli, Gaetano 'Tony' Lisi, Pasquale Giganti, and possibly the Morale brothers and Sal Giglio.
Giglio was under John Morale when he was a captain, so unless he got transferred back to that crew not sure if he would be under Consolo.

Zicarelli is listed as a captain by the late 60s.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something to remember is how often the Bonanno Family broke up crews, reassigned members, and rearranged things. This was especially true during the Bonanno conflict but like the Colombos they did it quite a bit in general. There's a lot less direct / unbroken succession than once thought.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:52 pm Something to remember is how often the Bonanno Family broke up crews, reassigned members, and rearranged things. This was especially true during the Bonanno conflict but like the Colombos they did it quite a bit in general. There's a lot less direct / unbroken succession than once thought.
Especially in this crew once we get past Consolo, it's pretty murky and not as linear as it may appear. Adding to the confusion is that crew spawned a lot of high ranking guys in the mid-late 1960s and 1970s.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Here’s some info on Peter Licata

PIETRO LICATA
(Peter, Big Pete, Mr. Pete)
DOB: Nov 9 1906
POB: San Ciperello, Palermo, Sicily
F: Castrenze Licata
M: Elisbetta LaMonica
W: Giuseppina “Josephine” Di Giovanni
Immigrated: Aug 7 1950 to 1323 Clover Ave, Rockford, IL
Occupation: Owner - C&S Bakery (540 Metropolitan Ave, Brooklyn, NY)
Address: 201 Wilson Ave, Brooklyn, NY
Death: Nov 5 1976 - Gunned down outside house (73-15 68th Rd, Queens, NY)

Didn’t live in Rockford, IL but maintained contacts there including with an LCN member (name censored)

Operated out of Conca D'Oro Expresso Shop (274 Knickerbocker Ave, Brooklyn, NY)