Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by Angelo Santino »

Crews can be hard to ascertain during this period. If you guys want to attempt it we can or we can just list guys based on where the neighborhood they lived similar to the Gambinos. We'll talk about it.

With the Gams I'm considering adding wives and occupations. I dont really want to go through all 320-340 names again but if I'm going to do this might as well be done right. I think this would also be good to do for the Bonannos bring everything to

NAME
NICKNAME
DOB
POB
FATHER
MOTHER
WIFE
OCCUPATION
ORIGIN
ADDRESS

I'll contribute to helping get this info. any opinions or suggestions are greatly valued.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I'd like to see crews, but I also can see it might get a little messy having a section for crews, then the rest broken down by neighborhood. Like you said, we'll talk about it.

I can start formatting the information I have. Should we add FBI/NYPD numbers?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I didnt for the Gams because I dont think we have even 1/4 of them but we could.

Let me try with the Gambino chart and see how it looks. I'm out of space and new lines added will make the text smaller so let me see how it works out. I think we can get around that by just adding the fbi numbers under the photo box. It's an idea.

If you feel confident that the crews can be broken down we can do that. We'll discuss it with B. One of these days. He'll have his take. As for me, I'm largely unconcerned with the hierarchy and more-so the makeup of the family, confirmed members etc. But also, this chart is kinda your baby and I want it to be something you're satisfied with.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Amazing stuff. Aside from a few people it looks like they generally didn't make non-Sicilians before the 1940s/50s. The Galante/Notaro crew seems to be the main source of non-Sicilians also, maybe because it was the largest and most outwardly criminal group.

I remember Antonio Bello being discussed years back and I think someone found he was Sicilian, not the one Bill feather found. One of the LA informants said he died in the early 1960s in NYC after Joe Bonanno used him to try and take out the LA leadership, but I can't find a solid match and don't know that I'd trust the informant's info on those details 100%. There was an Antonio DiBella who died in San Diego in 1963 -- if his true name was DiBella we know that name connects to the Bonanno Family but just throwing out possibilities.

Anyone have a YOB for Bello?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Excellent thread guys! Ill see what I can contribute with when checking my notes later. Nice breakdown Kid!
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Re: Antonio Bello, Bompensiero said he died in NYC one or two years before 1968, not early 1960s. He just left San Diego in the early 1960s.

There was an Antonino Bello from Mazara del Vallo, Trapani, who lived in Brooklyn but born 1880 so probably too old. Bellos from Trapani in Brooklyn could point to a connection with this guy but too little info on him.

Bompensiero may have also given a phonetic name/nickname.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Regarding the 1963 Bonanno chart, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3889 there very well could be errors. Three things that stands out:

1. Although Salvatore Spinelli definitely was connected with the Bonanno Arizona crew, I highly doubt that he was made. I base this on his young age. He would have been only 17 or 18 years old when the books were closed in 1957/1958.

Name: Salvatore J. Spinelli
State of Issue: Arizona
Date of Birth: Monday August 28, 1939
Date of Death: Sunday November 27, 2011
Est. Age at Death: 72 years, 2 months, 30 days
Confirmation: Verified

2. The Frank D´Angelo guy listed with an asterix, is most likely the guy listed as Epifano D´Angelo, nicknamed "Fauney", who was a made member.

3. Poster Stevan Todd (I think it was) pointed out that Vincent "Tappy" Soviero was probably not a made guy. However, a Vincent Soviero, born Aug 3rd, 1923 is listed as a made Bonanno member on later FBI charts but I´m not sure these two Vincent Sovieros are one and same individual. So could be that the one born in 1923, was made later.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 am Regarding the 1963 Bonanno chart, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3889 there very well could be errors. Three things that stands out:

1. Although Salvatore Spinelli definitely was connected with the Bonanno Arizona crew, I highly doubt that he was made. I base this on his young age. He would have been only 17 or 18 years old when the books were closed in 1957/1958.

He's listed as member in 1967, so who knows, but you're probably right. I guess he can be included in a suspected member section ? https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... search=t-2
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

motorfab wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:49 am
HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 am Regarding the 1963 Bonanno chart, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3889 there very well could be errors. Three things that stands out:

He's listed as member in 1967, so who knows, but you're probably right. I guess he can be included in a suspected member section ? https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... search=t-2
That is right that he is listed in 1967. The absence of his name however on lists dated later, suggest that the FBI had made a mistake on that 1967 list.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something to consider about suspected members or guys who were slightly too young to be made in 1957:

- The Commission accused Bonanno of inducting members after the books closed. Magaddino mentioned this happened in Canada where the Bonannos were approved to have 10 members but they expanded beyond this (to 20 we know from other sources). If I remember right Sam DeCavalcante said these "illegal" inductions happened in Canada and the West Coast, so they may well have made guys in Arizona after 1957.

- The FBI carried Patty DeFilippo as a suspected member during the Bonanno War and Kiduknow found a report that suggests Patty was inducted "during" the Bonanno War. Never seen anything about the Bonannos inducting guys after the war started, so it's more likely DeFilippo was made as part of these unsanctioned inductions before the war.

- Joey D'Amico said he knew Patty DeFilippo to be a member in 1976 when he worked w/ him in a gambling operation. When I asked JD about it he said DeFilippo isn't mentioned in any of the known ceremonies from 1976 or later, so it may be that DeFilippo's earlier membership was recognized by Galante when he brought the DeFilippos back to NYC. I remember suspecting Peter Notaro was another one they inducted after the books closed but can't remember why -- there was some reason.

We've never heard any rumors about the Commission's plans for the members inducted "illegally", unlike the Gambino rumors about shelving questionable members after 1957 . It looks like the Montreal crew was allowed to keep 20 recognized members after the 1960s and DeFilippo might be another example. West Coast members are pretty much a non-factor since they were cut off after the 1960s.

Whether or not they were recognized later doesn't matter for 1963 but something to consider about suspected members at this time. An informant (likely Bill) said Montreal had 20 members by late 1964, so appears these illegal inductions happened by then which makes sense given the accusation was launched by that time.

--

Also quick correction, it was January 1965, not 1964, that Sciacca said they had 182 members.
stevan tod
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by stevan tod »

I have photos of Lucido, Vigneri, Bivona,Tony Cusenza, both Spadaros, Busciglio,Tartaglia and many more... This one shouldn't be a problem when it comes to photos.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B, in my opinion, it makes no sense that Bonanno would break the rules and have new guys inducted when the books where closed while still on good terms with the Commission pre 1963. I can somewhat buy into the belief that Bonanno made Patsy DeFilippo during the war. But what would had been the point in making DeFilippo a member when he would not had been recognized as such by the other side or the Commission? Without no status or prestige that comes along with this recognition, that would had caused DeFilippo a huge disfavor.

Magaddino accused Bonanno for a lot of things and likely some of the accusations were groundless in order to justify his anger against him. He was clearly upset about Bonanno moving into Canada territory. It could be that the 20 members were actually made while the books were still open. And who knows, maybe some of them had previosly been associated with Magaddinos´ Family? Perhaps he was allowed to just make 10 guys but made 20 instead. We don´t know that, but Magaddino gives everybody who listened the impression that Bonanno made these guys on the sneak.

Just my 2 cents.
stevan tod
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by stevan tod »

Re Sovieros, there are two guys. Vincent Tappy Soviero born 1923 and Vincenzo Soviero Dob Unknown. Remo F had this guy Vincenzo on five familes chart, not Tappy. And this guy Tappy is listed as member. There was info here from some poster cant remember name that he know a guy named Fred Soviero claiming his father and uncle was with Bonannos back in a day.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I agree it doesn't make a ton of sense why Bonanno would make people when the books were closed but maybe he felt he could get away with it in Arizona and Canada. We know he was a devious guy and this is the same guy who tried to take over the LA Family twice and told the Commission they had no right to tell him how to run his own borgata.

Patty DeFilippo may have been made to serve as a liaison to Canada. We know his father was the main liaison there in the early 1960s and on the Magaddino tape they say this:

Here is what DeCavalcante said:

"You see, a message was sent by Ange Bruno, Joe (Zerilli) -- and I went with these guys. And we spoke to Johnny Burns and his son (Bill Bonanno). He said the father made guys in Canada -- he made them in Arizona. There was a few beefs that the Commission wants to talk to him about. But Ange Bruno and Zerilli were supposed to only ask."

Here is what Magaddino and Paul Sciacca said:

- The Bonanno Montreal and Arizona crews were well-established by 1964 so DeCavalcante seems to be referring to newer unapproved members made in Canada and Arizona, hence it being one of the Commission's "beefs" and wanting Bruno and Zerilli to ask about it.

- Paul Sciacca is the one who says 7 Canadian Bonanno members were made in Magaddino's area (Ontario) and 2 extra were made in Montreal. Magaddino seems to be saying if the Bonannos have 10 members in Canada that's fine but if they have even 11 that's a problem. Sciacca seems to say he told the Bonanno Canadian crew to count how many members they have as a result of this issue.

- When Magaddino says Notaro went to Canada without clearing it with Magaddino this put him up a "blind alley" as they don't know how many people were made there. This could be referring to the 7 members made in Ontario, suggesting it was Notaro who inducted them. Right after this Magaddino starts talking about how the Commission sent Angelo Bruno to meet with the Bonannos, so Magaddino seems to associate the unapproved Canadian inductions with the Bruno/Zerilli delegation like DeCavalcante did.

Another indication from the 1970s they made members in Ontario:

Still a total mystery who was representing "Toronto" for the Bonannos and who they made in Ontario. Must be one of the 7 guys made in the early 1960s.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:29 am
motorfab wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:49 am

That is right that he is listed in 1967. The absence of his name however on lists dated later, suggest that the FBI had made a mistake on that 1967 list.
The source for Spinelli was Bill(NY T-3), and NY T-12 was PHX 777-C-TE, who's referenced in another file as an Arizona Bonanno member, so I do think he was a member. I do think though that he was likely made during the split, so I'm not sure if he'd be included in the 1963 chart.

Antonio Badalamenti, Peter Cinquemani, Angelo Monte, and Joseph Titone are listed as suspected members. Badalamenti arrived in the US in 1962, so unless he was a transfer I'm not sure if he'd be included in 1963. I haven't looked into the other guys yet.