Bonanno 1960s chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Bonanno 1960s chart

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:29 am Excellent!

Interesting his naturalization was witnessed by Daras as Willie Dara's family was from Mazara like Bello and lived in Ozone Park like him. These ones were in San Diego but could be a tie-in.
I thought the same, I don't remember if Bill Dara had brothers, but I guess Frank was some kind of relative
Last edited by motorfab on Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

motorfab wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:11 am
B. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:29 am Excellent!

Interesting his naturalization was witnessed by Daras as Willie Dara's family was from Mazara like Bello and lived in Ozone Park like him. These ones were in San Diego but could be a tie-in.
I thought the same, I don't remember if Bill Dara had brothers, but I guess he was some kind of relatives
If I remember right (probably somewhere in this thread), part of Willie Dara's family was also from Marsala and there is a connection to Sciacca as he was a third cousin of Mike Sabella. This is all the same interprovincial region though so a lot of connections between these Trapani / Agrigento towns. Joe Masseria is a good example of that as is the Birmingham Ribera-Castelvetrano clan.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

motorfab wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:15 am Nice, it's great to see the "Antonio" Bello mystery solved !

Just, I have a different date of birth: February 4, 1901
Whoops, good catch on that typo. Thanks for sharing the naturalization papers!

It’s weird he lists his wife as being born in Alcamo on his first naturalization, and then Balestrate on the second. I found his wife’s naturalization and it confirms she was born in Balestrate.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

They're a short distance from one another so maybe her family was in both comuni. There was an Alcamese population in San Diego, as evidenced by the LA and Detroit factions there.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:34 am They're a short distance from one another so maybe her family was in both comuni. There was an Alcamese population in San Diego, as evidenced by the LA and Detroit factions there.
Wow, I didn’t think to check on a map thanks for the info.

Willie Dara didn’t have a brother named Frank, but could be an extended relative. I got some files on him regarding his citizenship, I’ll look through it again but I remember him being born in Marsala.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I didn't start looking at these places on a map, looking at mileage, etc. until some years back and it really puts things into perspective. There are sites where you can compare two maps and I will plug in where I live and compare it to the distance between some of these comuni.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something interesting too is that the Asaros were part of the Bonanno Ozone Park contingent going way back and their ancestry may go back to Mazara as well before their ancestors moved to CDG. My understanding is that the Asaro name is historically linked to Mazara.

The letter obtained by Petrosino between Girolamo Asaro and Zio Stefano Magaddino had an inquiry about another Asaro and the letter said he was from Mazara therefore couldn't be vouched for by the Castellammaresi. I believe this was an example of the process explained in Giuseppe Morello's letter to Chicago boss Dispenza where he said the compaesani had to vouch for a member before he could be accepted in the US.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:27 pm Something interesting too is that the Asaros were part of the Bonanno Ozone Park contingent going way back and their ancestry may go back to Mazara as well before their ancestors moved to CDG. My understanding is that the Asaro name is historically linked to Mazara.

The letter obtained by Petrosino between Girolamo Asaro and Zio Stefano Magaddino had an inquiry about another Asaro and the letter said he was from Mazara therefore couldn't be vouched for by the Castellammaresi. I believe this was an example of the process explained in Giuseppe Morello's letter to Chicago boss Dispenza where he said the compaesani had to vouch for a member before he could be accepted in the US.
Àsaro is indeed thought to have originated in Mazara del Vallo, where it is the second most common surname (its believed to be derived from Arabic). It spread from there to other comuni in Trapani, including CDG and Marsala, but this happened centuries ago and I don’t believe that the Àsaros in CDG have any familial ties to Mazara for 100s of years (I could be wrong, of course, but I’ve gone through a number of Àsaro genealogies in CDG and none seemed to have any ancestors from CDG going way back).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

You're telling me the Asaros didn't live in Ozone Park because they wanted to be close to their ancient roots in Mazara del Vallo?

Trying to think of any other Castellammaresi who lived there and can't think of any. Seems like all of Giroalmo Asaro's descendants lived there at one time or another, even the eldest brother Mariano who died too early to know whether he was a member.

The Varios were Trapanese and didn't live far from there. I've never looked into whether there was a significant colony from Trapani along the Queens/Brooklyn border but there were definitely a number of members from there living in the area.

Lucchese member Joe Schiavo might be another as he was Castellammarese and with the Vario crew but I never looked into where he actually lived. He was related via marriage to Al D'Arco who originally lived in East New York but D'Arco was non-Sicilian.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Looking at JD's list, he has John DiBella as a possible capodecina. He could have been one of the honorary captains referred to by Bill Bonanno who had the title but no members. What's known of him definitely points to him having high status.

The possible members list also has some interesting names I'm unfamiliar with. Two with known surnames are Vincent Restivo and Giuseppe Sabella.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Vito Bello was born to Giuseppe Bello and Crofinia Adamo.

He immigrated in 1920 heading to an uncle Antonio Bello at “140 stopp st. Brooklyn” (Stagg St?)

He immigrated on Feb 15 1920 and was arrested for a string of robberies on Nov 5 1920. He was living at 138 Stagg St, Brooklyn.

Arrested for burglary on Jul 14 1925, his address was given as 219 Stagg St, Brooklyn. Mentioned as a part of the Flushing Ave Rabbits Gang.

Arrested Mar 8 1926 for holdups, his address was 1423 DeKalb Ave, Brooklyn.

He married Antonina Santoro (daughter of Antonio Santoro and Giazia Valente) on Dec 23 1926. At the time they were living at 215 Johnson Ave, Brooklyn, NY.

Arrested on Dec 22 1927 in Long Branch, NJ for liquor with his address given as Newark.

In 1940 and 1950, he lived at 13012 Foch Blvd, Queens, NY

He died in Apr 1966 in Lakewood, NJ.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:17 pm The possible members list also has some interesting names I'm unfamiliar with. Two with known surnames are Vincent Restivo and Giuseppe Sabella.
Vincent Restivo is Benny’s brother. They both owned Restivo’s Bakery in Ridgewood.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

GASPARE PECORELLA
(Gaspar, Gasper, Jasper)
DOB: 23 Sep 1895 (or 23 Nov)
POB: Castellamare Del Golfo, Trapani, Sicily
F: Antonio Pecorella
W: Angelina DiGiorgio
Immigration: 11 Apr 1914
Occupation: Owner - J & B Coat Co. (158 Wilson Ave, Brooklyn, NY)
Address: 82 S 1st, Brooklyn, NY
Prior addresses: 244 Grand St, Brooklyn, NY
Death: 13 Apr 1965

On Nov 16 1928, Vito Manzella was killed at Pecorella’s social club (121 Roebling St, Brooklyn, NY). He was arrested along with Filippo Sabella (121 Roebling St), Mario and Joseph Fontana (201 N 6th St, Brooklyn, NY).

———————-

FRANCESCO AMARI
(Frank, Francko Amori)
DOB: Mar 17 1879
POB: Girgenti, Italy
W: Rosaria “Sadie” Lagana
Address: 96 President St, Brooklyn, NY
Prior Addresses: 106 Sullivan St, Brooklyn, NY; 289 Columbia St, Brooklyn, NY
Death: Dec 9 1969

———————

MARTINO PALMERI
(Martin, Martin Palmara)
DOB: Dec 12 1912
POB: Italy
F: Vincent Palmeri
M: Vincenza DiBenedetto
W: Marie Scaraglino (Family from Castellamare Del Golfo)
Address: 221 Bay 49th St, Brooklyn, NY
Prior addresses: 1639 81st, Brooklyn, NY
Death: Jan 18 1975 - Killed with 3 shotgun blasts at his cafe

In 1951, he was arrested with future Genovese member Vincent “Jimmy Red” Caserta” and Jerome & Michael Asaro as the head of a liquor ring.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:46 pm GASPARE PECORELLA
(Gaspar, Gasper, Jasper)
DOB: 23 Sep 1895 (or 23 Nov)
POB: Castellamare Del Golfo, Trapani, Sicily
F: Antonio Pecorella
W: Angelina DiGiorgio
Immigration: 11 Apr 1914
Occupation: Owner - J & B Coat Co. (158 Wilson Ave, Brooklyn, NY)
Address: 82 S 1st, Brooklyn, NY
Prior addresses: 244 Grand St, Brooklyn, NY
Death: 13 Apr 1965

On Nov 16 1928, Vito Manzella was killed at Pecorella’s social club (121 Roebling St, Brooklyn, NY). He was arrested along with Filippo Sabella (121 Roebling St), Mario and Joseph Fontana (201 N 6th St, Brooklyn, NY).
Mimi Sabella was also arrested for the Manzella murder later on in December. At the time he lived at 105 Roebling St with his sister and her husband Matteo DiGregorio. Manzella was also from CDG.

I have a vague memory of coming across Pecorella in the Secret Service Daily Reports. I tried to search through them recently because Mimi Sabella and Gaspar Mione were in there, but with the new catalog system it doesn't bring you to the page only the whole file.
JoelTurner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:46 pm MARTINO PALMERI
(Martin, Martin Palmara)

In 1951, he was arrested with future Genovese member Vincent “Jimmy Red” Caserta” and Jerome & Michael Asaro as the head of a liquor ring.
I found the same Martin born in CDG with those parents, but married to Mary Domingo. Her parents were Vincent Domingo and Anna Giallo both from CDG.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:44 am
JoelTurner wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:46 pm MARTINO PALMERI
(Martin, Martin Palmara)

I found the same Martin born in CDG with those parents, but married to Mary Domingo. Her parents were Vincent Domingo and Anna Giallo both from CDG.
You're right, he was married to Mary Domingo.

Also, he came to the US as a stowaway on the Ile de France on Nov 17 1935.