Art Rooney Sr. long tied to the local mob chieftains

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Art Rooney Sr. long tied to the local mob chieftains

Post by JCB1977 »

Great article on Rooney, Pittsburgh Steelers founder and owner. He actually won a bet and purchased the team. Anyway, it's always a great topic when you could tie a prominent owner in the NFL to the Mafia.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/FBI-R ... 16b78fc368
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
phatmatress
Straightened out

Re: Art Rooney Sr. long tied to the local mob chieftains

Post by phatmatress »

This hasn't been a secret to us locals good read though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

[quote="phatmatress"]This hasn't been a secret to us locals good read though

Has it been a secret that when "Fats" Ernie Holmes got arrested for shooting at the Highway Patrol helicopter with a shotgun after a rare Steelers loss, that Art called Jo Jo and asked if he could intervene. Hard to believe the charges were dropped, as "Fats" simply stopped his car to shoot at a couple of ducks flying overhead ;) Best of all: Art's "little boy" played the following Sunday :D
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

After the "incident", us local fans quit calling him Fats. He became forever enshrined as Turnpike Ernie.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Lou_Para wrote:After the "incident", us local fans quit calling him Fats. He became forever enshrined as Turnpike Ernie.
Were you aware of the "accommodation" that was provide to allow Art's "little boy" to play the following Sunday?
I'm guessing that you knew that Art Sr. was a big time gambler. He bet big numbers with Paul Hankish from Wheeling, W VA.
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

Got me on that one. I thought that Holmes bailed out that night (courtesy of Rooney) and went straight to the nuthouse for a while (also paid for by Rooney). But then again,my memory may be going the way of my eyes,knees,back,etc.
The "Chief" was definitely a guy who believed the adage that "money won is twice as sweet as money earned".
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Lou_Para wrote:Got me on that one. I thought that Holmes bailed out that night (courtesy of Rooney) and went straight to the nuthouse for a while (also paid for by Rooney). But then again,my memory may be going the way of my eyes,knees,back,etc.
The "Chief" was definitely a guy who believed the adage that "money won is twice as sweet as money earned".
That's the story that was most commonly known. It would have been difficult, even in Pittsburgh during the glory days, to let the truth be told.
BTW Lou, we have more in common than you thought. My eyes, knees, back, etc. :D
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Another NFL owner with heavy mob ties was Youngstown's own Ed DeBartolo Sr., aka Mister D. Check out these articles:

http://www.brasscheck.com/stadium/moldea.html

http://www.majorwager.com/forums/mess-h ... felon.html

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Tarn ... to-2452586
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
GS12345
Prospect

Post by GS12345 »

Almost all the original NFL owners had OC ties.
With legalized gambling pretty much nation wide it's fascinating how they kept all of this under wraps or maybe the public just doesn't care.

Great expose in to gambling and the NFL:
https://www.amazon.com/Interference-Org ... 068808303X