"Mafia Bloodlines: A Society Unto Themselves" articles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: "Mafia Bloodlines: A Society Unto Themselves" articles

Post by Ivan »

B. if Ivan and one "Nasabeak" agree on something then it might as well be a papal bull. Get to work on that DeMeo piece, stat!
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Haha, I appreciate the idea but I don't think I'd have anything to offer the DeMeo story. It'd just be 100000000000 words about that time Gaggi erroneously told DeMeo that only Sicilians can be captains.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:45 pm Haha, I appreciate the idea but I don't think I'd have anything to offer the DeMeo story. It'd just be 100000000000 words about that time Gaggi erroneously told DeMeo that only Sicilians can be captains.
"I'm happy with what I got." - Roy DeMeo
All roads lead to New York.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Damn B. Subscribed. You’re a great writer. I can’t wait to listen to the podcasts.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

“Not everyone in America was part of their subculture and mafia membership became equated with organized street crime rather than self-government.” I just had to post this great quote by Eric as a definition of the difference between Sicilian and American cosa nostra due to the fact that they had and I quote “insular communities and didn’t have an entire island of paesani at their disposal.“

I just felt this should be highlighted
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Recorded a new audio episode talking about Manfredi Mineo:

https://mafia.substack.com/p/the-moveme ... eo#details

It's very long, just exploring Mineo's roots and connections, how he might have gone from being boss of a separate Family only to take over D'Aquila's Family. Didn't hit on the Colombo Family as much as I would have liked but it was already over 2.5 hours so ah well.

As the write-up on the page and the episode notes it draws heavily from Rick, Angelo, and Lennert's discoveries published in 2014 with some additional details and analysis.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

B. wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:51 pm Recorded a new audio episode talking about Manfredi Mineo:

https://mafia.substack.com/p/the-moveme ... eo#details

It's very long, just exploring Mineo's roots and connections, how he might have gone from being boss of a separate Family only to take over D'Aquila's Family. Didn't hit on the Colombo Family as much as I would have liked but it was already over 2.5 hours so ah well.

As the write-up on the page and the episode notes it draws heavily from Rick, Angelo, and Lennert's discoveries published in 2014 with some additional details and analysis.
Thank you. Looking forward to listening to it.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Was very excited to see this email this morning. Should we/someone post it outside of this sticky so more people have a chance of seeing it?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Great to see new stuff on your site. Will listen to this this weekend
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Finally had time to make some much-needed updates to the Alabama article, particularly some "Black Hand" activity from the 1920s that is very interesting.

One of them was an extortion case involving a Campofranco native who was very likely a member and another was an Eastern Sicilian who flipped in 1925 and discussed how he was an initiated member of the "Camorra" or "Black Hand Society" in the Birmingham area and provided a list of members (sixteen total, though only one is named) plus other general info about the org he joined, then committed suicide. The member who was named was from Gibellina in Trapani but there are a lot of questions about the organization described by the turncoat.

Other stuff too where Bisacquino natives were both extortionists and extortion victims.

I tweaked a few other things but the new additions are mostly toward the bottom in the "1920s Revelations" section and the section immediately before it.

https://mafia.substack.com/p/alabama-ne ... -agrigento
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

You should turn this into an Informer Journal article.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks, Rick. Would be nice to streamline it a bit. Always hoping for more info too.