5 Family Crew Succession

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: 5 Family Crew Succession

Post by Eline2015 »

Maybe I say stupid thing, but I think that Anastasio crew was a part of Phil Mangano decina. After Phil Mangano was hit with his brother, Tony Anastasio became a captain.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Could have been. Any idea on some of the members of that crew? I haven’t seen much on Tony Anastasio’s crew.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Eline2015 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:26 pm Maybe I say stupid thing, but I think that Anastasio crew was a part of Phil Mangano decina. After Phil Mangano was hit with his brother, Tony Anastasio became a captain.
They operated in the same area, so not a stupid idea at all.

One thing to keep in mind is when a boss is replaced, all of the captains are technically demoted and the boss can either reinstate them or demote them and promote who he wants. A lot of it is symbolic, as the boss is obviously going to leave a lot of people in place, but you do see a lot of new captains soon after a new boss takes over.

There could well have been multiple demotions / promotions and reorganizations of crews after Anastasia took over.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:11 pm A lot of it seems like guess work though.

Pogo
Obviously, there is a lot of guesswork as this guy probably wasnt in the street with these guys for 40 years.

IF I wanted the real answer I would ask a wiseguy, ask a detective, speak to a defense atty that knows his way around. i would look at fbi reports but take those w a grain of salt. most wiseguys are stupid or closemouthed. you can get little pieces from retired oc cops.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Why are you quoting my posts from 16 months ago when you have nothing to add to the discussion? :roll:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

The Lucchese Family ended up with 0 crews in Brooklyn under Matthew Madonna at one point.When Michael DeSantis took over in 2017, he wanted to reinstate the original Brooklyn crew which is most likely a reference to the 19th hole crew.
I have no idea what happened to the Vario crew but by the time DeSantis took over it wasn’t active and from what I could find Joseph “Big Joey” Lubrano wasn’t a Capo for that crew.
The 19th hole crew is the crew that DeSantis wants to reinstate.I am not sure if Anthony “Blue eyes” Santorelli was a Capo of that crew.By the time it was 2017, the 19th hole crew also wasn’t active.
Big John Castelucci was running the Bensonhurst crew which he brought out of Bensonhurst and into the Tottenville section of Staten Island.
John Pennisi says that Frank “Frankie Bones” Papagni is most likely running the original Brooklyn crew if DeSantis did reinstate it because Pennisi says that it didn’t happen during his time.Pennisi flipped in October of 2018.
Patty Dellorusso didn’t replace anyone as Capo, if I remember correctly, Pennisi said it was a new crew that started.
George “Georgie Neck” Zappola is the Capo of the New Jersey Faction now
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Pennisi says Castelucci took over the Domenico Cutaia crew, which is interesting considering Castelucci, his brothers, and Scott Gervasi were all from the Bensonhurst crew. So it seems likely to me that the Bensonhurst crew and the other Brooklyn crews were consolidated into the Cutaia crew by that point by the mid-late 2000s. When Dellorusso was made a captain in 2017 it was of a new crew. That was the crew that DeSantis wanted to be a reinstated true Brooklyn crew because at that point Castelucci's crew was based in Staten Island. Carlo Profeta was supposed to be assigned to him. Dellorusso got Danny Campo and John Arpino made after he was promoted to captain, so they were almost certainly assigned to him. They wanted Pennisi transferred from the Castelucci crew to serve as Dellorusso's acting captain but that didn't ultimately happen. He also says the administration was going to take Castelucci down when he went to prison. He said he suspects they made Papagni captain of the Brooklyn crew, though he didn't specify whether he meant of the Castelucci crew or the Dellorusso crew. Possibly the Castelucci crew because Dellorusso wasn't the underboss when Pennisi left. Don't know what's happened to the Dellorusso crew.

Lubrano and Santorelli are Bronx faction guys.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:43 am Pennisi says Castelucci took over the Domenico Cutaia crew, which is interesting considering Castelucci, his brothers, and Scott Gervasi were all from the Bensonhurst crew. So it seems likely to me that the Bensonhurst crew and the other Brooklyn crews were consolidated into the Cutaia crew by that point by the mid-late 2000s. When Dellorusso was made a captain in 2017 it was of a new crew. That was the crew that DeSantis wanted to be a reinstated true Brooklyn crew because at that point Castelucci's crew was based in Staten Island. Carlo Profeta was supposed to be assigned to him. Dellorusso got Danny Campo and John Arpino made after he was promoted to captain, so they were almost certainly assigned to him. They wanted Pennisi transferred from the Castelucci crew to serve as Dellorusso's acting captain but that didn't ultimately happen. He also says the administration was going to take Castelucci down when he went to prison. He said he suspects they made Papagni captain of the Brooklyn crew, though he didn't specify whether he meant of the Castelucci crew or the Dellorusso crew. Possibly the Castelucci crew because Dellorusso wasn't the underboss when Pennisi left. Don't know what's happened to the Dellorusso crew.

Lubrano and Santorelli are Bronx faction guys.
Thank you.DeSantis has been at the top since 2017, 4 years now so I wonder if he has reinstated the Canarsie crew that Paul Vario used to run.After Vic became boss, he had his brother Bobby Amuso become a Capo in Canarsie.Also wonder where Ray Argentina will be now with the Amuso loyalists at the top.He’s surely gotta be a Capo.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Cutaia was captain of the old Vario crew, so if you wanted to trace the leadership you could go:

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:02 pm Cutaia was captain of the old Vario crew, so if you wanted to trace the leadership you could go:

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
Vario crew is based in Canarsie mainly and at one point this crew became inactive under Matthew Madonna because according to John Pennisi, there were 0 Brooklyn crews in the Lucchese Family by the time DeSantis took over in 2017.DeSantis wants to reinstate the original Brooklyn crew which I believe is a reference to the 19th hole crew in Bensonhurst, founded by Furnari then took over by Vic Amuso in 1981.Papagni would most likely be the Capo of the reinstated crew in Bensonhurst.As for a separate crew in Canarsie, I’m not sure about but it’s definitely an idea for DeSantis if he really wants to bring the family back to Brooklyn like he said.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:08 am
chin_gigante wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:02 pm Cutaia was captain of the old Vario crew, so if you wanted to trace the leadership you could go:

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
Vario crew is based in Canarsie mainly and at one point this crew became inactive under Matthew Madonna because according to John Pennisi, there were 0 Brooklyn crews in the Lucchese Family by the time DeSantis took over in 2017.DeSantis wants to reinstate the original Brooklyn crew which I believe is a reference to the 19th hole crew in Bensonhurst, founded by Furnari then took over by Vic Amuso in 1981.Papagni would most likely be the Capo of the reinstated crew in Bensonhurst.As for a separate crew in Canarsie, I’m not sure about but it’s definitely an idea for DeSantis if he really wants to bring the family back to Brooklyn like he said.
The Vario crew is the same as the Cutaia-Castelucci crew, it just moved to Staten Island. It's the same crew, and it was still the Brooklyn faction, but it just moved headquarters over time
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

chin_gigante wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:01 am

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
The Vario crew is the same as the Cutaia-Castelucci crew, it just moved to Staten Island. It's the same crew, and it was still the Brooklyn faction, but it just moved headquarters over time
Castelucci formerly was the Capo of the Bensonhurst crew until his imprisonment, he moved the crew to Staten Island.Pennisi says there was only one Brooklyn crew during his time which could mean that the Vario crew merged with the Bensonhurst crew.I believe the crews are different because the Vario crew is separate to the Bensonhurst crew.Pennisi has referred to Castelucci’s crew as the Bensonhurst crew which moved to Staten Island.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

He's also said the crew Castelucci was made captain of was the Cutaia crew
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:19 am

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
Castelucci formerly was the Capo of the Bensonhurst crew until his imprisonment, he moved the crew to Staten Island.Pennisi says there was only one Brooklyn crew during his time which could mean that the Vario crew merged with the Bensonhurst crew.I believe the crews are different because the Vario crew is separate to the Bensonhurst crew.Pennisi has referred to Castelucci’s crew as the Bensonhurst crew which moved to Staten Island.
Seems through a combination of attrition, merging, transferring, etc. the multiple Lucchese crews in Brooklyn were consolidated down to one. As chin said, it seems it was also the Staten Island crew because that's where Castellucci was based while he was captain. Also because, as Pennisi said, many crew members who also lived in Staten Island were originally from Brooklyn.

Anyway, only one crew at that point - the Brooklyn/Staten Island crew. Talk about reinstating another crew in Brooklyn but it remains to be seen if that ever happened or it was just talk.
All roads lead to New York.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:00 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:19 am

Salvatore Curiale
Paul Vario
Alfonso D'Arco
Louis Daidone
Domenico Cutaia
John Castelucci
Frank Papagni (possibly)
Seems through a combination of attrition, merging, transferring, etc. the multiple Lucchese crews in Brooklyn were consolidated down to one. As chin said, it seems it was also the Staten Island crew because that's where Castellucci was based while he was captain. Also because, as Pennisi said, many crew members who also lived in Staten Island were originally from Brooklyn.

Anyway, only one crew at that point - the Brooklyn/Staten Island crew. Talk about reinstating another crew in Brooklyn but it remains to be seen if that ever happened or it was just talk.
When DeSantis made a move for the Acting Boss position in 2017, he sent Vic a letter which said “There are guys out here loyal to you who want to bring the family back to Brooklyn” Judging by that, i would assume that he has reinstated a crew in Brooklyn.Though Pennisi flipped in October of 2018 and he said that there was talk of reinstating the crew but it didn’t happen during his time.Maybe Pennisi cooperation has effected the idea of reinstating a crew in Brooklyn