5 Family Crew Succession

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

jimmyb
Straightened out

Re: 5 Family Crew Succession

Post by jimmyb »

Mariano Asaro a big name missing from the above list. Prior to his incarceration, he traveled to the US quite often.

Ambrogio and Salvatore Farina should be on there too. Ambrogio was dealing H with the Amato/Bonventre group before going back to CDG.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

jimmyb wrote:Thanks guys for putting these together. I have a question about the Knickerbocker Ave crew: "Giovanni "John" Fiordillino (1967-1969) Fled." Can you tell me anything more about Fiordillino? Why was he fleeing for example? Also, any idea what the genealogical relationship between Giovanni and Francesco Fiordillino---the Bonanno associate turned government witness is?
Francesco was Giovanni's nephew and was on record with the Asaro crew. Francesco had a brother named Vincenzo who was an associate that died while committing an arson.

The Fiordilinos and Navarras are related, and Santo "Tony" Giordano was also related to them, all from Castellammare. There is also a connection to the Bonventres, as I know some Fiordilinos and Bonventres are related by marriage and that Giordano's uncle was named Nino Bonventre. This is not the same Antonino Bonventre who is an elderly Bonanno member and the father of acting capo Giacomo Bonventre, who are in turn related to the Asaros.

Cesare Bonventre's father was named Vito I believe and I've been curious about him. There are a couple of older Vito Bonventres who were members of the Schiro/Bonanno family, but I am not sure how this Vito relates. He would have come over to the US in the mid-late 1960s so if he was a member then it would have been back in Castellammare. I can't help but feel like Cesare must have come from a mafioso father but who knows... he had enough people to teach him either way.

Colombo captain turned informant Dino Calabro and his cousins the Saracinos were also born in Castellammare. I know there was a high-ranking CDG member named Gioacchino Calabro, so I wonder if he was related. Saracino is obviously a name that goes way back, as Salvatore Saracino aka Giuseppe Palermo was close to Salvatore Bonanno (Joe's father) and other important US members in the early days. Plus you have one on that list of CDG members.

A name that I wonder about on that list too is Rocco Coppola, because I have long wondered if Leonardo Coppola, who died alongside Galante, may have been from Castellammare. Most if not all of the other men in attendance at that lunch were Castellammarese (Turano, Amato, Bonventre, Galante... not sure about Angelo Presanzano, but he was Galante's cousin so maybe). Coppola has been described as a Bonanno soldier before but not sure if there is any info to back that up. He could just as well have been an affiliate from Sicily.

Also have to wonder if Antonino Vitale is distantly related to Sal Vitale, whose parents emigrated from CDG.

Ever seen any Giaccones listed in CDG? Phil Giaccone's family was from CDG is why I ask. His father Antonino was pretty old when Phil was born and it seems Phil was well-connected with the Bonannos from a very early age despite not having any known relatives in the organization. His lying informant nephew Saggio claims that Giaccone was the protege of John Bonventre and even though a lot of his info is suspect, some of his background info on Giaccone is more or less correct so he could be right about that.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote:Yeah, I doublechecked and Benny Aloi was acting captain for Langella and then became official captain when Langella was promoted to official underboss in 1981.

Allie Giannatassio was acting captain of the Persico crew between Alphonse Persico and Abbatemarco.

Mimi Scialo was replaced as captain by Paul D'Amico.

Thanks for these additions. Here are some more for the Colombos.

-Vinny Aloi was Acting Capo for Mussachio during the 60s.

-Frank “Frankie Green Eyes" Sparaco was acting Capo for Teddy Persico Sr in the early 1990s.

-Ralph "Whitey" Tropiano got whacked in 1980.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

jimmyb wrote:Mariano Asaro a big name missing from the above list. Prior to his incarceration, he traveled to the US quite often.

Ambrogio and Salvatore Farina should be on there too. Ambrogio was dealing H with the Amato/Bonventre group before going back to CDG.
Mariano Asaro was travelling on a passport with the name Anthony Asaro. He was discovered to be a freemason and that's how he got his fake passport and got the information to go on the lam. Acting boss of Castellammare del Golfo family in the 1990s.

Considered a very dangerous guy and implicated in many bombings but none of them proved. He was mentioned to be the person who built the bomb that killed Judge Falcone but it was later found to not be the case. He was in the US so often he's known as "U Miricanu".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

toto wrote:
jimmyb wrote:Mariano Asaro a big name missing from the above list. Prior to his incarceration, he traveled to the US quite often.

Mariano Asaro was travelling on a passport with the name Anthony Asaro. He was discovered to be a freemason and that's how he got his fake passport and got the information to go on the lam. Acting boss of Castellammare del Golfo family in the 1990s.

Considered a very dangerous guy and implicated in many bombings but none of them proved. He was mentioned to be the person who built the bomb that killed Judge Falcone but it was later found to not be the case. He was in the US so often he's known as "U Miricanu".
I can't remember if it was you or someone else who shared it, but there was apparently something about connecting with his Asaro relatives in the Bonanno family while he visited.

A younger upcoming Bonanno I'm interested in is Anthony Pipitone, who I believe has family from CDG and was a supporter of Sal Montagna when he took over.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo the Clown wrote:Miranda Crew:
Vito Genovese (1920s-1931) Became UnderBoss.
Michele "Mike" Miranda (1931-Late 1950s) Became Consiglieri.
-In 1958 this Crew was split between Miranda, Generoso DelDucca and Peter DeFeo.
Frank Celano (1958-1973) Died.
John “Buster” Ardito (1970s-2007) Died.
Daniel “Danny/The Lion” Leo (2007-Present) Imprisoned.
So it's confirmed that Danny Leo came from that crew? I always wondered if that was the case, considering he is Bronx based and sort of popped up out of nowhere back in late 2006 around the time Ardito was close to death.
All roads lead to New York.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Pogo, here´s some corrections on some of the Genovese crews. Perhaps JD or Antiliar can confirm it. If and when new info comes out from my own research relevant to this info, I will let you know about any changes. Until then though, you will simply have to trust me.

"Miranda Crew:
Vito Genovese (1920s-1931) Became UnderBoss.
Michele "Mike" Miranda (1931-Late 1950s) Became Consiglieri.
-In 1958 this Crew was split between Miranda, Generoso DelDucca and Peter DeFeo.
Frank Celano (1958-1973) Died.
John “Buster” Ardito (1970s-2007) Died.
Daniel “Danny/The Lion” Leo (2007-Present) Imprisoned."

- Miranda´s crew was most likely split between Tony Carillo, Funzi Tieri, Pete DeFeo, Sal Celambrino and Frank Celano after Miranda was made consigliere in 1957. According to Valachi, these five members were all under Miranda but in 1963/1964 headed their own crews (according to informant) taking in parts from other crews. Tieri´s crew was merged with Gyp DeCarlo´s in 1972 and Tommy Lombardi was named crew leader. Joe "Black" Ruggiero headed this crew around 1987, before it was given to Sally "Dogs" Lombardi. Ludwig "Ninny" Bruschi may have been the one who inherited this crew.

"Strollo-Eboli-Gigante Crew:
Anthony "Tony Bender" Strollo (19??-1962) Killed.
Thomas “Tommy Ryan” Eboli (1962-1971) Killed.
-Pasquale “Patsy” Eboli (1962-1971) Demoted.
Dominick “Fat Dom” Alongi (1971-1978) Became Consiglieri.
Vincent “The Chin” Gigante (1978-1981) Became Boss.
Dominick “Baldy Dom” Canterino (1981-1993) Died.
-In 1993 this Crew was plit between Dominick “Quiet Dom” Cirillo and Mario Gigante."

- Strollo most likely took over from Vito Genovese. I can´t prove it but they were extremely close and operated in same Greenwich Village area. At some point in late 1950s, Dom "The Sailor" DeQurto headed this crew (probably acting) before both him and Strollo were replaced by Tommy Ryan. When Ryan was put on ruling panel, his brother Patsy Ryan headed this crew. Sometime around 1970, Vincent Gigante headed this crew but was replaced by Dom Alongi. In 1974, an informant said "crew formerly headed by Gigante now run by Alongi". When Alongi was made consigliere (according to Gravano in 1976, but Gravano could be wrong about the year) Gigante was given back this crew.

"Terranova-Coppola-Lombardo-Bellomo Crew:
Ciro “The Artichoke King” Terranova (1910s-1932) Demoted.
Michael “Trigger Mike” Coppola (1932-1966) Died.
-Philip “Benny Squint” Lombardo (1960s-1966) Became Offical Capo.
Philip “Benny Squint” Lombardo (1966-1970s) Became Boss.
Saverio “Sammy” Santora (1970s-1981) Became UnderBoss.
Benjamin “Benny the Bum” DeMartino (1981-19??)
Liborio “Barney” Bellomo (1980s-Present) Became Acting Boss/Imprisoned.
-Ralph Coppola (1990-1998) Killed.
-Frank “Farby” Serpico (1998-2001) Imprisoned.
-Also served as Acting Boss.
-Ernest Muscarella (1998-2002) Imprisoned.
-Also served as Acting Boss.
-Louis Moscatiello (2002-2003) Imprisoned.
-Arthur "Artie" Nigro (2003-2007) Imprisoned.
-Also served as Acting Boss."

- Before Lombardo became the official (in 1967/1968), Benny "The Bum" functioned as the acting skipper. This is in Lombardo´s files. I could be wrong, but I don´t think Benny "The Bum" was ever a captain again. From the early/mid 1970s to the early 1980s, these Genovese members headed the crew: Tony Salerno, Tony "Buckaloo" Ferro, Joe "Stretch" Stracci, Ralph Serpico and Sammy Santoro. A fifth guy headed the crew in between Ferro and Stracci, but I don´t know his name.

"Pelligrino Crew:
Rocco “The Old Man” Pellegrino (1920s-1960s) Died.
-Rosario “Saro” Mogavero (1960s) Became Official Capo.
Rosario “Saro” Mogavero (1960s-Early 1970s) Died.
Joseph “Joe Back” Lapi (Early 1970s-19??)
George “Flip” Filippone (19??-1980s)
-Not sure what became of this Crew."

- After Filippone, the most likely skipper was Louis "Healthy" Gaccione. This crew then went to Ross Gangi in 1989, then to Sammy Aparo (on acting basis) and then to Petey "Red" DiChiara.

"Gatto Crew: Broke off from the E. Catena Crew.
Louis “Lou Red” Gatto (1970s-2002) Died.
Joseph “Streaky” Gatto (2002-2010) Died."

- Gatto took over from Pete LaPlaca in 1979, who in turn had succeeded Eugene Catena. Tino Fiumara was member of this crew and split off probably sometime in the 1990s.

"Greco-Gangi Crew:
Thomas “Tommy Palmer” Greco (1920s-1970s) Died.
-In the early 60s this Crew was split between Greco and Cosmo Fresca.
-Anthony “Hickey” DiLorenzo (1967-1971) Imprisoned.
-Rosario “Sally Young” Palmieri (Early 1970s)
-Louis Gaccione (1970s) Became Official Capo.
Louis Gaccione (1970s-Late 1980s) Retired.
-Rosario “Ross” Gangi (1980s) Became Official Capo/Imprisoned.
Rosario “Ross” Gangi (Late 1980s-20??)
-Peter “Petey Red” DiChiara (1998-2001) Imprisoned.
-Salvatore “Sammy Meatballs” Aparo (1998-2001) Imprisoned.
Peter “Petey Red” DiChiara (20??-Present)"

- According to some accounts, Greco took over Lucky Luciano´s old crew in or around 1930. In the 1960s, this crew was headed (on acting basis, occasionally) by Joseph LaPadura and in the 1970s, this crew was occasionally headed by LaPadura and Joe "Lefty" Loiacono. Parts of this crew may have gone to Matty Ianniello and other parts to Loiacono. They were both listed as official skippers in 1983. Ianniello may not have been originally under Greco.

"Malagone Crew: Broke off from the Greco-Gangi Crew.
Cosmo Fresca (Early 1960s-1975) Died.
Thomas Contaldo (1975-Late 1980s)
-Alphonse “Allie Shades” Malangone (1980s) Became Official Capo.
Alphonse “Allie Shades” Malangone (Late 1980s-2000s) Imprisoned.
-Alan “Baldie” Longo (1996-2001) Imprisoned.
Alan “Baldie” Longo (20??-Present)"

- Frasca´s crew can be traced back to the early 1950s, when a small Lower East Side crew (formerly headed by Tommy "Bullets" Licata) was merged with a small Brooklyn based crew. Frasca was named the skipper of this merger. In the late 1960s, Tony "Hickey" DiLorenzo headed this crew on acting basis before Frasca took control of it again. Tommy Contaldo was listed as a member of this crew in 1974, but it´s unclear if he took over Frasca´s crew or if he was given someone else´s crew to run in or around 1974. By the looks of it, it´s possible that Contaldo´s crew was merged with what was left of Frasca´s and Toddo Marino´s crews in late 1970s. Contaldo was succeeded by Malangone and later by Alan Longo who were both under Marino before he died in 1979.

"Yale-Carfano Crew:
Fracisco "Frankie Yale" Uale (1910s-1928) Killed.
Anthony "Little Augie Pisano" Carfano (1928-1957) Killed.
James "Jimmy" Angellino (1957-1970s)
-Matteo “Matty Brown” Fortunato (1960s-1970s) Became Official Capo.
Matteo “Matty Brown” Fortunato (1970s-1980s) Died.
-Not sure what became of this Crew."

- Angellino headed a crew based in the Bronx. I haven´t seen anyting that proves he had succeeded Carfano. I could be wrong though. My guess is that Carfano´s crew (and Generoso Delduca´s crew) were disbanded/merged with other crews in or around 1960. Matty "Brown" Fortunato was listed by the FBI as the acting skipper for Angellino in mid 1960s. It´s also said that he headed a crew based in Florida, later in the 1970s. But I don´t know for how long. Interesting is that Albert Facchiano was said to have lead this same crew before he was pinched in 1979, this is according to a Government report.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

HairyKnuckles wrote:Until then though, you will simply have to trust me.
I've been hurt before, you know.

No, but really, I find details about the Genovese family's crews very interesting so thanks for sharing, Harry. Their crew successions and how they split off are much more straightforward than say the Bonannos or the Colombos, who had so many members clustered in smaller areas that crews got mixed and matched, but what makes it crazy is how many unknown names crop up. Even to this day seemingly unknown guys come out of nowhere to head big Genovese crews.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I know Hairy to be very thorough in going thru the files, so I regard his info as trustworthy.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Do any of you have more info on guys like Luciano and Genovese as captains under Masseria?
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

B. wrote:
toto wrote:

I can't remember if it was you or someone else who shared it, but there was apparently something about connecting with his Asaro relatives in the Bonanno family while he visited.

A younger upcoming Bonanno I'm interested in is Anthony Pipitone, who I believe has family from CDG and was a supporter of Sal Montagna when he took over.

Great stuff B. and Toto. Thanks for the information. I'd really like to know what Mariano Asaro was doing here in the US. It's possible of course he was just meeting with relatives like anyone else. But based on the history of these families, you can't help but wonder if he met with Bonanno org members and discussed business. I'd really like to know what is the current relationship between the two organizations---Bonanno and CDG cosca. I know the Italian newspapers usually mention CDG is important organization because of its connections to Bonannos.

Anyhow, I read in an Italian govt. report that they confiscated some of Asaro's property---even gave his house to the Church I believe. I think they were turning it into a youth center. My Italian is not great so maybe some misreading on my part.

Interesting stuff about Giaccone and Pipitone. I didn't realize they were Castellammarese names. Vitale is always a challenging name. It's too common. There's a "Vito Vitale" in every single cosca in Sicily it seems like. Even with names like Asaro and Bonventre, it's challenging because multiple relatives share the same first name.

Same with the Buccellatos. Take Joe Buccellato the Bonanno org member---his first cousin Giuseppe Buccellato was member of the CDG family.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wiseguy wrote:So it's confirmed that Danny Leo came from that crew? I always wondered if that was the case, considering he is Bronx based and sort of popped up out of nowhere back in late 2006 around the time Ardito was close to death.

No. I forgot to add the "?" on this one since it hasn'y been confirmed.

HairyKnuckles wrote:Pogo, here´s some corrections on some of the Genovese crews. Perhaps JD or Antiliar can confirm it. If and when new info comes out from my own research relevant to this info, I will let you know about any changes. Until then though, you will simply have to trust me.

Many thanks for these additions HK. 8-)

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Interesting to note that the Genovese family seemed to downgrade the number of crews in the 1980s. According to Cafaro the family had 14 Crews when he flipped in 1986. Later on in the 90s the number of crews increased, likely to ove 20. Probably due to them making so many new members in the early/mid 90s.

I should add that Daniel “Danny” Pagano likely took over for Dom Cirillo and Pasquale “Patty Boy” Falcetti likely took over the Bellomo Crew or at least a part of it.

Pogo
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote:
HairyKnuckles wrote:Until then though, you will simply have to trust me.
I've been hurt before, you know.

No, but really, I find details about the Genovese family's crews very interesting so thanks for sharing, Harry. Their crew successions and how they split off are much more straightforward than say the Bonannos or the Colombos, who had so many members clustered in smaller areas that crews got mixed and matched, but what makes it crazy is how many unknown names crop up. Even to this day seemingly unknown guys come out of nowhere to head big Genovese crews.
I totally agree with this. Although made members very often changed crews (in all the five NY Families) the shuffling of soldiers seems to have been not so prevalent within the two biggest Families perhaps for the very reason you described above.
Antiliar wrote:I know Hairy to be very thorough in going thru the files, so I regard his info as trustworthy.
Thank you Rick.
HairyKnuckles wrote:Pogo, here´s some corrections on some of the Genovese crews. Perhaps JD or Antiliar can confirm it. If and when new info comes out from my own research relevant to this info, I will let you know about any changes. Until then though, you will simply have to trust me.

Many thanks for these additions HK. 8-)

Pogo[/quote]

You are welcome. As I said above, new info is periodically coming in and if I find something relevant to the info posted above, I will let you know. (Even if the new info show that I am wrong.)
There you have it, never printed before.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

There was also Renaldo "Ray" Ruggiero's crew in Florida that was indicted back in 2006. I'm not sure of the history there though.
All roads lead to New York.