5 Family Crew Succession

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: 5 Family Crew Succession

Post by B. »

Nick Corozzo's position in the family at various times seems to be one of the most debated topics in the forums for the last decade or so... when and how he became a capo, whether he was an acting boss, defacto boss, official boss, etc. Hell there is still debate over how his crew is set up and what the exact arrangement is with DiMaria, etc. It is surprising he isn't with the Genovese family given all this confusing shit.

Guys misremember things and get things confused for sure, but it's hard to argue with Gravano's knowledge of what was going on at that time. He presided over a making ceremony (maybe a few, can't remember exactly) and handled a lot of the internal administrative business for the family. If he was talking about a random old timer or some nobody, I could see him making a mistake, but Corozzo was on the admin's radar and they seem to have been careful with how they handled him. If it's true that Gravano described Corozzo as a soldier at the time, it carries a lot of weight.
Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

For what it's worth Mickey Scars describes Nick Corozzo as a captain at the time of his induction ceremony in December of 1988
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Charlie i just found the same..thanks
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I was reading Bruno Indelicato's indictment from the late 1980s and it says both he and Trinchera were promoted to capo in 1981. Maybe JD or someone has more info, as I think I remember him saying neither of them were promoted immediately following Galante's murder, but I thought they were both captains for longer than a few months.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote:Nick Corozzo's position in the family at various times seems to be one of the most debated topics in the forums for the last decade or so... when and how he became a capo, whether he was an acting boss, defacto boss, official boss, etc. Hell there is still debate over how his crew is set up and what the exact arrangement is with DiMaria, etc. It is surprising he isn't with the Genovese family given all this confusing shit.

Guys misremember things and get things confused for sure, but it's hard to argue with Gravano's knowledge of what was going on at that time. He presided over a making ceremony (maybe a few, can't remember exactly) and handled a lot of the internal administrative business for the family. If he was talking about a random old timer or some nobody, I could see him making a mistake, but Corozzo was on the admin's radar and they seem to have been careful with how they handled him. If it's true that Gravano described Corozzo as a soldier at the time, it carries a lot of weight.
Nicky Corozzo'so position post-Gotti was always clear to those of looked at the evidence and didn't take it upon ourselves to anoint him the boss. Corozzo was on the ruling panel and set to replace Gotti as official boss in 1996 but was indicted shortly thereafter so the change never took place and Gotti remained boss until his death in 2002. And of course Corozzo was later indicted as a captain in 2008.
All roads lead to New York.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Nicky was never going to be boss unless he kills jr gotti.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

bronx wrote:Nicky was never going to be boss unless he kills jr gotti.
I believe there was many different conspiracies by many different people to kill JR...for apparent different reasons as well.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

bronx wrote:Nicky was never going to be boss unless he kills jr gotti.
According to Capeci, Gotti had agreed to step down at one point.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/new ... e-1.733358

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/new ... e-1.780644
All roads lead to New York.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

great research, gotti sr, steps aside fall of 2001, pete becomes boss, jojo corozzo consig , arnold underboss. capeci tries hard
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

just remembered and jojo does not get the spot if scars takes it..
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

bronx wrote:just remembered and jojo does not get the spot if scars takes it..
I thought JoJo was consig in the 90's?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The Consiglieri position was vacant after the death of Joe "Piney" Amone in 1992. It wasn't filled up again until 1999 (maybe a little later). Mickey DiLeonardo was offered the spot first but turned it down.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

the next official admin, was the fall of 2001.. arcuri was acting consig for a year or so around 97 98
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

"Waterfront Crew:
Joseph Colozzo
Frank "Franky Dap" D'Apolito (1960s-1997) Died. - ?
-Not sure what became of this Crew."

Pogo, it appears that Dominick Lagana took over Colozzo´s crew after his death in 1971. In a FBI report, a CI talks about Lagana taking over all Colozzo´s interests, which usually means crew too. I don´t know for how long Lagana was a skipper. My first instinct tells me he was the skipper til he died, but Lagana´s DOD is a mystery. Perhaps D´Apolito took over the crew later in the 1970s. It would be interesting to know your source on D´Apolito taking over from Colozzo.
There you have it, never printed before.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

HairyKnuckles wrote:"Waterfront Crew:
Joseph Colozzo
Frank "Franky Dap" D'Apolito (1960s-1997) Died. - ?
-Not sure what became of this Crew."

Pogo, it appears that Dominick Lagana took over Colozzo´s crew after his death in 1971. In a FBI report, a CI talks about Lagana taking over all Colozzo´s interests, which usually means crew too. I don´t know for how long Lagana was a skipper. My first instinct tells me he was the skipper til he died, but Lagana´s DOD is a mystery. Perhaps D´Apolito took over the crew later in the 1970s. It would be interesting to know your source on D´Apolito taking over from Colozzo.

Thanks for the info HK. The info on D'Apolito taking over for Colozzo came from JD.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.