General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

phatmatress777
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by phatmatress777 »

Sounds. Like you just answered your own question NE1020

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Eddie mush wrote:How do soldiers kick up ?? Is a set amount every week / month ?? A percentage of there weekly profits ??

And once the money goes to the capo Wats the breakdown from there ??

Thanks
Eddie mush
A captain has total overview on his crew members and their illegal income. If a crew member wants to move in on a certain racket, he reports this to the captain. The "kicking up" depends on what kind of arrangement gets worked out between them. If it´s a lucrative racket, the captain may ask for more, if it´s a more or less insignificant racket, the captain may ask for less or sometimes nothing. If they are partners, they´ll split 50/50 or whatever they agree upon. So as you can see, there is no clear cut answer to your question.

The captains give tributes to the boss, and only to the boss. The underboss and/or consigliere sometimes have made members directly assaigned to them, taking care of their interests in a business the underboss or the consigliere controls. Sometimes the structure is different in a Family and the underboss and/or consigliere will have captains reporting to them. This seems to have been the case when Gambino and later Castellano was boss for example. I suppose these captains "kick up" to them. There is no fixed percentage of what a captain "kicks up". It depends on the arrangement he has with the boss.
There you have it, never printed before.
NE1020
Honorary Member

Post by NE1020 »

phatmatress777 wrote:Sounds. Like you just answered your own question NE1020

I know it happens every now and again, Im just wondering if its frowned upon and if guys can end up ostracised because of it. Like the Cherie Golden murder, what was everyones reaction to DeMeo killing a 19 year old girl? etc.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Sometimes the adminstration splits the money from a given business among themselves. For example in the 2008 Gambino indictment is was revealed that the Gambino administration was splittng the payoffs from a construction racket among themselves.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NE1020
Honorary Member

Post by NE1020 »

Are associates obliged to take orders from soldiers or captains to commit violence? I know that once a guy gets made he has to comply if he is ever to carry out a hit or beat someone up, I was wondering if its the same standard for an associate who is on record with a solider?
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

NE1020 wrote:Are associates obliged to take orders from soldiers or captains to commit violence? I know that once a guy gets made he has to comply if he is ever to carry out a hit or beat someone up, I was wondering if its the same standard for an associate who is on record with a solider?
more or less refusal may get you hurt or clipped or kicked out of the circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NE1020
Honorary Member

Post by NE1020 »

Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but whats the most powerful, current-day, African-American OC group? I know there was Nicky Barnes and Frank Lucas a while ago is there a powerful black organization in NYC nowadays?
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

Crips or bloods would be my guess

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/news/ ... -1.1508105

This was posted over on GBB.

Is this guy any relation to 'the nose'?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

Let's say a powerful family member a capo or higher goes the can for a long time 10 plus years . When he gets out he is a older say 65 plus and decided he basically wants to retire and not resume his high position in the family is he still compensated ?? If a sports book or any other venture that was his say is still running would he still get a piece ?? Or does he lose any rights to family money ??
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

^^^ depends. there is a lot of what ifs. depends on relationship. gene gotti is said to have a big shy and he is doing 30. bobby manna is said to have a lot going on and he inside forever. depends who is watching your action and who the leader is. prisco came home and said his friends werent in charge anymore. to many variables to give a good answer.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Meatball
Straightened out

Post by Meatball »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:http://nypost.com/2016/02/12/autopsies- ... e-cabinet/

For the Chicago historians.
Nice. Good story on The Sun-Times link as well. Thanks for sharing, SB.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Hello,

I have a question I've seen folks almost answer but never really do haha.

What exactly does an Underboss do? Second in command, ok but..advice? mediate disputes? that's all Consigliere right?

It seems like most of the time when the boss goes away, or just wants to lay low, a street boss is appointed.

And there's even been acting underbosses before, so clearly the position is needed.

But what do they do?

I've read "they run day to day on the street". Isn't that street boss/front boss, or the actual boss? or the capos? So what does that mean exactly?

Going through a list of underbosses historically, it seems like the UB is often a heavy guy maybe more "blue-collar", "muscle" oriented that's given that position to further solidify the boss' power on the street. Willie Moretti? Vito Genovese? Neil Dellacroce? Albert Anastasia? Sammy Gravano? Langella? Sonny Franzese? Or, it's given to a guy who's so respected that it would be awkward or dangerous to have him a mere capo? Again for political reasons to further maintain support for the boss/power structure/administration? So guys like Catena, DeCicco, Lucchese, La Salle, Tom Mix Santoro?

But I could be wrong, so any thoughts guys? Thanks!
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Usually, the underboss is the one who is the closest to the boss. He shares the boss´s views in many things. Because the position is appointed by the boss, he can choose someone he feels comfortable with as his second in command. The underboss is supposed to act in the boss´s place whenever it´s needed, if the boss is temporarily incapacitated for example it´s the underboss´s function to meet with the captains or meet with bosses of other Families. In many ways, the underboss is the alter ego of the boss. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Sometimes, the boss appoints a leader of a powerful opposing faction as his number two, to please two wings of the Family. That has to do with the gruop dynamics within a Family. Some could argue that having two rival factions in a Family represented by the boss and the underboss respectively is a smart move. But It´s my opinion that strong leadership starts with the boss/underboss and having an underboss who represents different policy views undermines the boss´s authority. This can result in clashes, just like the one we saw with the Castellano and Dellacroce/Gotti factions.

One more thing, the underboss, due to his closeness to the boss, was not meant to be part of the administration. The original idea of an administration is to make big decisions using consensus. If the underboss is the boss´s alter ego, that would mean the boss´s view would prevail most of the times during voting for example. So the administration would normally (back in the day) consist of the boss, the consigliere and a number of powerful captains. And according to Bill Bonanno, although member of the administration, the consigliere had no vote at the administration meetings, probably because his closeness to the troops, especially the captains. I don´t know when the inner workings and rules of a Family administration changed (if it did at all) but it is said that the administration of a Family today, consists of the boss, the underboss and the consigliere.
There you have it, never printed before.