Motorfab's Blog: Une Histoire de Crime Organisé

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Motorfab's Blog: Une Histoire de Crime Organisé

Post by Eline2015 »

Great job, Fabien. Previously I think that in Campania there three camorra-mafia Families (Nuvoletta, Zazza and Bardellino), and Nuvoletta was a capomandamento di Campania
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Eline2015 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:10 pm Great job, Fabien. Previously I think that in Campania there three camorra-mafia Families (Nuvoletta, Zazza and Bardellino), and Nuvoletta was a capomandamento di Campania
Thank you for having read it !

Yes, Naples Family was confusing: Some says it was a single Family, some says it was 3 Families, some says Salvatore Zaza was the boss, others it was Lorenzo Nuvoletta, others it was Angelo Nuvoletta, etc ... Not easy to debunk all this.

I didn't include it, but I read once (I think in the book Octopus) that Francesco Marino Mannoia told that there was no Camorra and all these guys were strictly Cosa Nostra.

To make it more difficult, it looks each of the clans had their own hierarchy and a man like Bardellino had the right to inducted new members without telling the others.

Also different Sicilian bosses inducted them (Riccobono and Leggio for sure and maybe Giuseppe Bono) so they all have different interests and relationships ...
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Eline2015 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:10 pm Great job, Fabien. Previously I think that in Campania there three camorra-mafia Families (Nuvoletta, Zazza and Bardellino), and Nuvoletta was a capomandamento di Campania
yes, i think Nuvoletta was capomandamento and a member of the commission of Cosa Nostra
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

scagghiuni wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:12 am
yes, i think Nuvoletta was capomandamento and a member of the commission of Cosa Nostra
As he wasn't Sicilian and not from Palermo, It sounds complicated that Nuvoletta had a seat at the Cupola IMO. I guess he was represented by Riina after Greco was arrested
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

motorfab wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:49 am New article dedicated to the influence of Cosa Nostra in Naples https://unehistoiredecrimeorganise.blog ... aples.html
Excellent article.

Many more members from Campania were inducted into the Sicilian mafia than I realized. Melchiorre Allegra knew of Sicilian-born mafia members on the Italian mainland when he cooperated but didn't identify any Families where. Wish we knew more about a Family possibly existing there in the 1930s.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:15 am
motorfab wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:49 am New article dedicated to the influence of Cosa Nostra in Naples https://unehistoiredecrimeorganise.blog ... aples.html
Excellent article.

Many more members from Campania were inducted into the Sicilian mafia than I realized. Melchiorre Allegra knew of Sicilian-born mafia members on the Italian mainland when he cooperated but didn't identify any Families where. Wish we knew more about a Family possibly existing there in the 1930s.
Thanks B !

+1, Naples & Marseille are two cities which is frustrated to not have much infos or any names for the case of Marseille (even if I personally suspect some Sicilians/Marseillais guys who were possibly relatives of mafiosi). It's funny that Cosa Nostra had 2 cosche in these cities because I always considered that these cities had a very similar cultures and the way I see thing, same type of criminality. I don't think it's a coincidence if a guy like Michele Zaza was so confortable in the south of France (Nice area) and if he was so well with guys like Zampa who was also from Neapolitan origin. But it's another debate ...

Back to the Naples Family, before I started to do the article, I tried to do a list of the confirmed and potential members of the Family. As I don't cited them all in the article, here is what I have, in case you're interested.

Capo
Salvatore Zaza (according to Marino Mannoia)
Lorenzo Nuvoletta (according to Schiavone, Alfieri and some others)

Zaza Clan (Naples area)
Capo
Michele Zaza

Nunzio Barbarossa
Giuseppe Liguori
Ciro Mazzarella

Suspect members
Nunzio Guida
Gennaro Mazzarella
Salvatore Mazzarella
Vincenzo Mazarella

Casalesi Clan (Caserta province)
Capo
Antonio Bardellino

Raffaele Ferrara
Mario Iovine
Carmine Schiavone
Vittorio Vastarella

Suspect members
Gaetano Di Costanzo
Antonio Mauriello
Gennaro Salvi

Nuvoletta Clan (Marano di Napoli area)*
Capo
Angelo Nuvoletta

Coordinator
Lorenzo Nuvoletta

Sottocapo
Francesco Liccardo

Consigliere
Gaetano Lubrano

Capidecina
Maurizio Baccante
Francesco Vasto

Important member
Mattia Simonelli

* the infos comes from the pentito Ferdinando Cataldo https://www.stylo24.it/cupola-costa-nostra-nuvoletta/

I think Ciro, Gaetano & Aniello Nuvoletta were Cosa Nostra members as well.

Clan Sciorio (Giulgliano area)
Enrico Sciorio
Giuseppe Sciorio

It's a possiblity that Enrico, Luigi & Antonio Maisto could have been members, but it's a big maybe
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

If Nunzio Guida was made into Cosa Nostra that's very interesting. If so, I wonder if he was formally introduced to American members at the Bono wedding. Great list.

motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:53 am If Nunzio Guida was made into Cosa Nostra that's very interesting. If so, I wonder if he was formally introduced to American members at the Bono wedding. Great list.

Guida was also arrested in 1989 in Nice after having participated to a mafia meeting with Barbarossa, Zaza & Umberto Naviglia (another member of Zaza Clan, I think he could be also a member, but I'm less sure). Gaetano Fidanzati was here too but escape arrest
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The members Allegra identified as Naples-based Sicilian members circa 1930s were Pietro Fardella from Trapani and the D'Alessandros from Palermo who were fruit merchants. He said they were an "isolated element" though so they may have been remote members of their native Families. However as we know he did say there were Sicilian Families on the European continent.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thanks for the infos B., I have the pdf of Allgera papers published by Mauro de Mauro, but I haven't read it yet

I would like to make a correction to my article. In the short paragraph devoted to the Milieu, I say that the Neapolitans and the Sicilians having fought against a band of Corsicans & Marseillais for the control of the traffic of cigarettes is probably a fiction.

Well, it seems that I was wrong because it seems that the "Clan dei Marsigliesi" led by Albert Bergamelli & Jacques Berenguer tried to muscles the traffic in Naples and that at least between 1972 & 1974 there would have been some murders related to that. It looks to have started following the vacuum left by the arrest of Gerlando Alberti in Naples in 1971. The murder of Italian-Canadian Vito Adamo and his mistress Laura Savo in Secondigliano in 1973 appears to be linked.

I will probably publish a short article later in order to correct this.
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: I create a mob blog

Post by antimafia »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:20 am
Ed wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:44 am An informative read. I always enjoy learning more about the Montreal Mafia. The Montreal underworlds' scheming and double-dealing is endlessly fascinating. Thanks for breaking it down. Great photos too. Glad you referenced "The Canadian Connection." It should be on every mob researcher's bookshelf.
I couldn't agree more. The diversity, complexity and all the ramifications of the Montreal mafia with other groups such as bikers, local gangsters, Corso-Marseillais back in the days or the mafias in Sicily in Calabria are truly fascinating. I've been interested in it since about 2013 and I still manage to discover things, it's endless.

A very valuable source for the Cotroni-Violi years is this, a CECO summary. The document also focuses on the Dubois brothers (the other major clan in Montreal in those years). It's in French but you can download the pdf and translate it https://numerique.banq.qc.ca/patrimoine ... htext=ceco

And yes absolutely, The Canadian Connection is a must have for every mob researcher. I believe that with the book "Les Parrains Corses" by Vincent Nouzilles & Jacques Follorou, it is the book that I use the most to get my information. The work in it is impressive !
antimafia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:00 pm I just retweeted your tweet about your latest blog post.
I saw, thanks to you I had a crazy number of views. If one day I come to Canada, remind me to buy you a beer or whatever you drink, it's really great, thank you very much :)
B. wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:26 pmGreat job, Fab.
Thanks B. !
Décès d’un juge retraité de la Cour du Québec. Cet ancien juge de la Cour du Québec a présidé la Commission d’enquête sur le crime organisé [CECO]. Il est décédé.
https://www.droit-inc.com/article58841- ... -du-Quebec

From La lutte au crime organisé au Québec:
Image Upload by THE BLACK HAND FORUM
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Bravo, Fabien! This was a great read and some excellent research here.

I was under the impression that guys like Michele Zaza, Bardellino, and the Nuvolettas were soldiers in the Porta Nuova cosca (while also leaders of their own local clans, of course). That there was a full fledged Family (or three, if we were to take Buscetta literally) actually based in Campania and inducting its own members, however, hadn’t really sunk in, despite having read Calderone before. Thanks for tackling such a complicated but important topic.

Have you come across anything about Antonio Spavone in relation to any of this? It has been stated that when the so-called “Nuova Famiglia” held a summit in 1982 in Rome, both Sicilian and American Families sent representatives as a sign of respect, and Spavone was alleged to have had close ties to both Funzi Tieri and Jackie Cerone.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

antimafia wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:41 pm Décès d’un juge retraité de la Cour du Québec. Cet ancien juge de la Cour du Québec a présidé la Commission d’enquête sur le crime organisé [CECO]. Il est décédé.
https://www.droit-inc.com/article58841- ... -du-Quebec

From La lutte au crime organisé au Québec:
Image Upload by THE BLACK HAND FORUM
Wow I had no idea that one of the judge of the CECO was still alive until yesterday, thanks for the infos

-----
PolackTony wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:46 pm

I was under the impression that guys like Michele Zaza, Bardellino, and the Nuvolettas were soldiers in the Porta Nuova cosca (while also leaders of their own local clans, of course). That there was a full fledged Family (or three, if we were to take Buscetta literally) actually based in Campania and inducting its own members, however, hadn’t really sunk in, despite having read Calderone before. Thanks for tackling such a complicated but important topic.

Have you come across anything about Antonio Spavone in relation to any of this? It has been stated that when the so-called “Nuova Famiglia” held a summit in 1982 in Rome, both Sicilian and American Families sent representatives as a sign of respect, and Spavone was alleged to have had close ties to both Funzi Tieri and Jackie Cerone.
Thank you, indeed it was a complicated topic, that's why I tried to be the more factual as possible and not improvised too much, and stick to the maximum with known facts (and some more unknow). But as you said it's definitely a important topic, so I'm glad if you appreciated it, thanks !

Regarding Spavone, I don't know for the summit in 1982 in Rome but in a doc I've read, Pasquale Galasso mentioned him, it's about all the meetings they had to try to appease the conflict :

"I remember in particular one of these meetings, of exceptional importance - which I have already mentioned - with the NUVOLETTAs (that is, with the brothers Ciro, Lorenzo, Angelo and Gaetano: also present were Antonio Orlando, father-in-law of Enrico Maisto, whose brother Gaetano, I think I had been released on leave and had met in some of the previous meetings). As I said, this meeting took place in the summer of 1981, and it had been called with the intention of arriving at a reconciliation with the Cutoliani: it was an attempt at reconciliation that I have already described. During the meeting which saw more than one hundred Camorra and mafiosi present in Lorenzo Nuvoletta's farm known as Vallesana, all the Camorra groups in Campania were represented: Bardellino, Aflieri, Zaza, Spavone, Giuliano, Mallardo, Maisto, Gionta, D'Alessandro, Vollaro, Ferrara, Vastarella, Nuzzo, each of the bosses accompanied by at least 4 or 5 people, but often much more."

It's the only time I saw him mentioned regarding something about the Nuova Famiglia. Spavone's case is ambiguous because sometimes we read that it was Cutolo who tried to kill him in 1976 or sometimes that it was the Zaza brothers, so I'm not sure where he fit in there. That said, the murder attempt on Spavone was on April and the murder of Tripodo was in August, meaning Cutolo wasn't probably boss yet, so I tend to believe it was the Zazas but like I said I'm sure of nothing ...

He was in his late fifties at the time, so maybe he was neutral and listened to by both sides, I don't know.

I never found much about his stay in the USA, except maybe he was in NY. Was he in Chicago?

In any case, I do think he was involved with other criminals in the USA.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

motorfab wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 am

Thank you, indeed it was a complicated topic, that's why I tried to be the more factual as possible and not improvised too much, and stick to the maximum with known facts (and some more unknow). But as you said it's definitely a important topic, so I'm glad if you appreciated it, thanks !

Regarding Spavone, I don't know for the summit in 1982 in Rome but in a doc I've read, Pasquale Galasso mentioned him, it's about all the meetings they had to try to appease the conflict :

"I remember in particular one of these meetings, of exceptional importance - which I have already mentioned - with the NUVOLETTAs (that is, with the brothers Ciro, Lorenzo, Angelo and Gaetano: also present were Antonio Orlando, father-in-law of Enrico Maisto, whose brother Gaetano, I think I had been released on leave and had met in some of the previous meetings). As I said, this meeting took place in the summer of 1981, and it had been called with the intention of arriving at a reconciliation with the Cutoliani: it was an attempt at reconciliation that I have already described. During the meeting which saw more than one hundred Camorra and mafiosi present in Lorenzo Nuvoletta's farm known as Vallesana, all the Camorra groups in Campania were represented: Bardellino, Aflieri, Zaza, Spavone, Giuliano, Mallardo, Maisto, Gionta, D'Alessandro, Vollaro, Ferrara, Vastarella, Nuzzo, each of the bosses accompanied by at least 4 or 5 people, but often much more."

It's the only time I saw him mentioned regarding something about the Nuova Famiglia. Spavone's case is ambiguous because sometimes we read that it was Cutolo who tried to kill him in 1976 or sometimes that it was the Zaza brothers, so I'm not sure where he fit in there. That said, the murder attempt on Spavone was on April and the murder of Tripodo was in August, meaning Cutolo wasn't probably boss yet, so I tend to believe it was the Zazas but like I said I'm sure of nothing ...

He was in his late fifties at the time, so maybe he was neutral and listened to by both sides, I don't know.

I never found much about his stay in the USA, except maybe he was in NY. Was he in Chicago?

There is info in this thread about Spavone and Chicago, if you're interested. He was most likely identified by the FBI in 1993 as a redacted "capo" of the "Nuova Famiglia" with ties to Chicago LCN. After he was shot in the 1970s he traveled to the US for reconstructive surgeries. I was able to confirm that he spent at least part of that time in Chicago, where he seems to have owned a restaurant, as did his brother, Giuseppe Spavone. Nephew Tony Spavone is a very well-known Chicago restauranteur and singer with mob ties, with it even being rumored that his restaurant was used for making ceremonies in the past. The thread also discusses Carmine Esposito, a fugitive from Acerra captured in Chicago who was said to have been one of the principal figures in the NCO.
https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... ne#p233553

Also, your investigation of Cosa Nostra in Napoli finally clears up one of the most important questions on this forum; how Furio Giunta was able to attend Christopher Molitsanti's induction ceremony. While we had all assumed that Furio was simply a Camorrist', it is now clear that Furio was actually a soldato in a Napolitan' mafia cosca under Don Zi Vittorio and was formally transferred to the DiMeo Family in NJ.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:18 pm
motorfab wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 am

There is info in this thread about Spavone and Chicago, if you're interested. He was most likely identified by the FBI in 1993 as a redacted "capo" of the "Nuova Famiglia" with ties to Chicago LCN. After he was shot in the 1970s he traveled to the US for reconstructive surgeries. I was able to confirm that he spent at least part of that time in Chicago, where he seems to have owned a restaurant, as did his brother, Giuseppe Spavone. Nephew Tony Spavone is a very well-known Chicago restauranteur and singer with mob ties, with it even being rumored that his restaurant was used for making ceremonies in the past. The thread also discusses Carmine Esposito, a fugitive from Acerra captured in Chicago who was said to have been one of the principal figures in the NCO.
https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... ne#p233553

Also, your investigation of Cosa Nostra in Napoli finally clears up one of the most important questions on this forum; how Furio Giunta was able to attend Christopher Molitsanti's induction ceremony. While we had all assumed that Furio was simply a Camorrist', it is now clear that Furio was actually a soldato in a Napolitan' mafia cosca under Don Zi Vittorio and was formally transferred to the DiMeo Family in NJ.
Wouldn't Furio still have to be made again into the DeMeo/Soprano Family?