Youngstown's Naples (Pittsburgh) & Carabbia (Cleveland) War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: Youngstown's Naples (Pittsburgh) & Carabbia (Cleveland) War

Post by Ivan »

coldshoulder wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:52 pm 1:31 Junior Senzarino (looks like it's in a residential garage)
4:49 Ronnie Carabbia -- Yes
5:15 Joe DeRose, Sr. (innocent victim, same still photo in Whelan's story, the original subject of this thread)
5:20 ? (not 4:20 ) Unknown ??
5:22 Joe DeRose, Jr. -- Yes
5:24 Charlie Carabbia -- Yes
5:25 John Magda -- Likely, yes, the image is blurry, but he was suffocated and duct taped and left in a garbage dump
5:27 Robert Furey -- Likely, yes, he was shot to death while outside changing a tire
5:50 maybe ? Pete Cascarelli
5:54 to 5:56 Pretty sure this is Sam Scaffidi, not at 5:50
Didn't realize 5:15 and 5:20 were the same guy, but yeah that's DeRose Sr. in both I think? Thanks for your help.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Ivan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:04 am
coldshoulder wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:52 pm 1:31 Junior Senzarino (looks like it's in a residential garage)
5:15 Joe DeRose, Sr. (innocent victim, same still photo in Whelan's story, the original subject of this thread)
5:25 John Magda -- Likely, yes, the image is blurry, but he was suffocated and duct taped and left in a garbage dump
5:27 Robert Furey -- Likely, yes, he was shot to death while outside changing a tire
Didn't realize 5:15 and 5:20 were the same guy, but yeah that's DeRose Sr. in both I think? Thanks for your help.
1:31 Junior Senzarino was RC's cousin that ran Ronnie's poker games. There were several and I believe Joe DeRose Jr. killed him with a shotgun.
5:15 Joe DeRose Sr. really was an innocent victum as the hit was meant for Jr. :(
I have been told that 5:50 was also a semi innocent victim, or so I was told.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Anybody left in Youngstown? Did all those rackets dry up?
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Newyorkempire wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:09 am Anybody left in Youngstown? Did all those rackets dry up?
The bookmakers and loansharks are still around, the made guys are all gone. Everyone's independent (no "mob") and no one kicks up. Also the insanely corrupt government officials got wiped out by Strollo. It really is a lot different, but you can still bet there.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Ivan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:29 am
Newyorkempire wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:09 am Anybody left in Youngstown? Did all those rackets dry up?
The bookmakers and loansharks are still around, the made guys are all gone. Everyone's independent (no "mob") and no one kicks up. Also the insanely corrupt government officials got wiped out by Strollo. It really is a lot different, but you can still bet there.
FWIW: I agree ;)
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Ivan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:29 am
Thanks
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Spider Grisham mugshot I found. Credit to Mr. Mobfax on YouTube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

coldshoulder wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm Yes, the "supreme overlord" as described in the article :o
Looks like perhaps only the first page comes up when you click the attachment. I'll have to try to link the rest of the pages.
Joey was never the "Supreme Overlord." Jimmy Prato was until his death in 1988, Joey and Lenny Strollo were Co-bosses, both equal in their position.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:04 am
1:31 Junior Senzarino was RC's cousin that ran Ronnie's poker games. There were several and I believe Joe DeRose Jr. killed him with a shotgun.
5:15 Joe DeRose Sr. really was an innocent victum as the hit was meant for Jr. :(
After decades of investigating the Junior Senzarino murder, through DNA analysis of blood on the scene from the broken window, professional hitman Robert Dorler from Medina, Oh admitted to the murder. He died while in prison a few years later after providing the FBI with info on unsolved murders. Sam Fossesca was convicted of killing Joe DeRose Jr.

https://vindyarchives.com/news/2003/jul ... ask-force/
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:37 am
After decades of investigating the Junior Senzarino murder, through DNA analysis of blood on the scene from the broken window, professional hitman Robert Dorler from Medina, Oh admitted to the murder. He died while in prison a few years later after providing the FBI with info on unsolved murders. Sam Fossesca was convicted of killing Joe DeRose Jr.

Fair enough as I always though Joe Jr. did the deed. I go back to high school with Jr. He went to Wilson and I went to Mooney.
Biggest difference was I wanted to be a golfer while he always wanted to be a gangster. Did you personally know either Junior or Joe Jr.?

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:15 am

Fair enough as I always though Joe Jr. did the deed. I go back to high school with Jr. He went to Wilson and I went to Mooney.
Biggest difference was I wanted to be a golfer while he always wanted to be a gangster. Did you personally know either Junior or Joe Jr.?

Nope, too young. My old man knew Junior from bocce league. He knew who Joe DeRose Jr was and was close in age but never interacted with him.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:03 pm

Nope, too young. My old man knew Junior from bocce league. He knew who Joe DeRose Jr was and was close in age but never interacted with him.
DA, I never considered that you're still a youngin' ;) Believe me your Dad missed nothing with Joe Jr. However he dated a real Baby Doll :)
Now that I think about it, I do recall reading about Robert Dorter confessing. As usual, your research is spot on.
All this time I thought Joe Jr. got wacked in retribution for Junior's murder and his Dad was a mistake. At least I was right about his Dad.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:07 am

DA, I never considered that you're still a youngin' ;) Believe me your Dad missed nothing with Joe Jr. However he dated a real Baby Doll :)
Now that I think about it, I do recall reading about Robert Dorter confessing. As usual, your research is spot on.
All this time I thought Joe Jr. got wacked in retribution for Junior's murder and his Dad was a mistake. At least I was right about his Dad.
Joe’s girlfriend Cheryl was the wife if one of my dad‘s closest friends from the fire department and I grew up with her son who just died of an overdose.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:05 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:07 am

Joe’s girlfriend Cheryl was the wife if one of my dad‘s closest friends from the fire department and I grew up with her son who just died of an overdose.
Too funny :lol: Cheryl was the first bi-sexual girl I ever met. She was close "Friends" with my cousin Carmen's "squeeze" Kathy ;)
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Tonyd621 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:15 pm Speaking of Carabbia here is an opinion piece I found titled The Last of the Old School Mafioso by Chris Anderson HeraldTribune.com
I couldn't get our of the firewall long enough to post it. If someone else can be my guest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.herald ... 9087357002
OPINION: The last of the old-school mafiosos
Chris Anderson
Sarasota Herald-Tribune
Published 1:30 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2022

A man died in Ohio recently. Just three days before Christmas, in fact. His name was Ronald Carabbia. He was 92. A life well-lived, his obit said.

He was a Marine. Served during World War II. Married Josephine in 1960. Had two kids – a son and a daughter.
He owned a vending company. Retired to Lakewood Ranch. Loved biking, running, good wine and food. Christmas was his favorite holiday.

"His family was the center of his life," the obit read, "and his circle of friends were his best friends.''
About that circle of friends…

Ronald "the Crab" Carabbia was also a member of the Cleveland mob. His obit left that interesting little tidbit out. In fact, he was convicted in 1978 for his role in a murder so famous they even made a movie about it.
It seemed a man named Danny Greene – nicknamed "the Irishman" – was a major antagonist of the Cleveland mob Carabbia was part of and apparently someone decided he had to go.

On Oct. 6, 1977, Greene was killed after returning to his Lincoln Continental from a dentist visit. A bomb had been planted in a car parked next to his. The explosion was so powerful they found Greene's arm 100 feet away.

Soon after the explosion, two men were seen by a woman at a stoplight. She thought they were acting a bit strange so she drew a picture of one of the men. Turned out she was a sketch artist. Police identified him as Ray Ferritto.

Ferritto learned a hit had been put on him after his arrest so he turned government witness, identifying the man who pushed the button on the car bomb detonator as Ronald "the Crab'' Carabbia.

Ferritto joined the Witness Protection Program. In 2000 he landed in Sarasota, where he died four years later of heart failure. He moved here, his wife Susan told the Associated Press, to "retire from the business.'' That Carabbia and Ferritto wound up "retiring'' in the same area was a coincidence.

Carabbia, for his part, was sentenced to life but was released in 2002 after serving 24 years. The prosecutor in his case recommended his release because he thought Ferritto's information was not truthful.

Carabbia was one of the last old-school mobsters to die, but some are still out there.

Mobsters like Joseph Watts, a favorite of legendary boss John Gotti, who is currently serving a 13-year prison sentence for a murder plot.

Watts reportedly was the backup shooter in 1985 when Paul Castellano was murdered outside a Manhattan steakhouse, giving Gotti complete control of the Gambino crime family.

Gotti rewarded Watts – a mobster so brazen he once threatened to kill Frank Sinatra to his face – with a lucrative loan sharking business. He laundered $2 million through a Swiss bank account to build a compound on Casey Key Road in south Sarasota County, which was the main focus of a 2002 federal money laundering case.

The trial revealed, among many interesting things, that money was being sent to Watts from New York in tennis ball canisters through the Sarasota-Bradenton airport.

According to real estate records, the 12-bedroom, 14-bathroom compound Watts built is currently for sale. Asking price is $15.9 million.

Who knows? Maybe Watts will buy it.

He gets out in March.