Historical Bosses of Palermo Province

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Historical Bosses of Palermo Province

Post by Antiliar »

B. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:08 pm Is there any evidence Santa Flavia and/or Porticello had their own family?

The US members from those places were part of the larger Bagheresi contingent but given we're seeing nearby villages with a heavy concentration of mafiosi like Borgetto/Partinico and San Giuseppe Iato/San Cipirello having separate families right on top of each other, I'm wondering about Bagheria/Santa Flavia.

Many of the US mafiosi were specifically from Santa Flavia so it was a mafia hotbed.
Haven't seen anything about any Mafia Families there. There could very well have been a Family there which would have been connected to Milwaukee.

One guy who I think was a boss in Palermo who isn't on my list (because of a lack of documentation) is Pasquale Enea. He was said to have been connected to the Petrosino murder and the FBN claimed he was the head of the Sicilian Mafia in the 1940s. He was born on May 29, 1869 in (Citta) Palermo as Pasquale Ania and lived at Via Divisi 86, which is near Palermo Centrale, Kalsa, and Corso dei Mille. Giuseppe Di Carlo, the early Buffalo boss, was the brother-in-law of a Pasquale Enea who lived on Oliver Street in Manhattan. Since Di Carlo came from Caltanisetta it doesn't really help. Enea died in December 1951. If I were to guess, I would say that Enea could have been a boss of the Palermo Centro borgata.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

This Palermo report could be helpful:
https://archiviopiolatorre.camera.it/im ... _p03_4.pdf
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:54 pm
B. wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:08 pm Is there any evidence Santa Flavia and/or Porticello had their own family?

The US members from those places were part of the larger Bagheresi contingent but given we're seeing nearby villages with a heavy concentration of mafiosi like Borgetto/Partinico and San Giuseppe Iato/San Cipirello having separate families right on top of each other, I'm wondering about Bagheria/Santa Flavia.

Many of the US mafiosi were specifically from Santa Flavia so it was a mafia hotbed.
Haven't seen anything about any Mafia Families there. There could very well have been a Family there which would have been connected to Milwaukee.

One guy who I think was a boss in Palermo who isn't on my list (because of a lack of documentation) is Pasquale Enea. He was said to have been connected to the Petrosino murder and the FBN claimed he was the head of the Sicilian Mafia in the 1940s. He was born on May 29, 1869 in (Citta) Palermo as Pasquale Ania and lived at Via Divisi 86, which is near Palermo Centrale, Kalsa, and Corso dei Mille. Giuseppe Di Carlo, the early Buffalo boss, was the brother-in-law of a Pasquale Enea who lived on Oliver Street in Manhattan. Since Di Carlo came from Caltanisetta it doesn't really help. Enea died in December 1951. If I were to guess, I would say that Enea could have been a boss of the Palermo Centro borgata.
Enea was very close to Cascio Ferro in both Sicily and the US, too. In the Piddu Morello letters that CC translated, he talks about Cascio Ferro and Enea violating induction protocol because they didn't contact the proposed member's Sicilian hometown to check on his background. Makes you wonder what Cascio Ferro and Enea's exact positions were in the US and indicates they may have been with the same borgata given they were seemingly participating in a mafia induction together.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Re: Calogero and Pietro Zito, mentioned above.

What is very interesting about the investigation into the abigeatari is it wasn't just independent cosche/villages stealing and trafficking cattle in their own territory, but it was a highly organized "racket" throughout western Sicily involving mafia families from all over, with established routes and systematic cooperation.

Think of how Antonino Calderone described the cigarette smuggling racket later on, how it was an organized effort by mafia leaders all over the island -- cattle theft was managed almost identically. Cattle rustling seems to have been the Sicilian mafia's "bread and butter" during this period in the same way cigarette smuggling and heroin trafficking were decades later (and sources say in the interim between these "rackets", the mafia was completely broke, which is interesting). Though they always had extortion and other operations, what also stands out is the Sicilian mafia tended to put a lot of its eggs in one basket during each phase: cattle rustling -> cigarette smuggling -> heroin trafficking, with the mafia network being devoted to furthering this activity. In the US bootlegging was treated similarly.

The 1930s investigation revealed these two Zitos from SGI were part of an abigeatari operation that included Palermo, Trapani, and Agrigento provinces. As we know, Troia himself took cattle to Trapani and then to Tunis, so I'm sure he was an earlier participant in a similar if not the same exact abigeatari ring these Zitos were a part of.

The "capo" (leader) of the multi-province abigeatari "organization" during this period was a Giacomo Accardi. It unfortunately doesn't say what his hometown was, but he was likely Trapanese as the Accardi/Accardo name is heavily associated with Trapani, especially the area around Castelvetrano, Partanna, Vita, and Salemi. Accardi held an important abigeatari meeting in Salemi, so he might be from there. Infamous Newark/Lucchese figure Settimo Accardi from Vita had cousins all over that part of Trapani and there was a Baldassare Accardi in Ontario, Canada, who associated with Benedetto Zizzo (whose brother was the Salemi boss) and the Aguecis (Buffalo members from Salemi). It looks like Giacomo Accardi was probably from there.

It stood out to me that Accardi was called the "capo" of an "organization", but it seems to be referring to the abigeatari operation, not a specific mafia cosca. Accardi was most likely a prominent mafioso given his role in the operation (again think of Troia), but I didn't see anything pointing to him being an actual capomafia, though there were few details beyond his role in the abigeatari. Interesting too that the abigeatari operations took cattle to Tunis and Settimo Accardi came to the US from Tunis -- he may well have known or been related to Giacomo Accardi.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm In the bio of Petrosino, Tedeschi was described as the head of the Mafia in Villafrati, Mezzojuso and Baucina. In the 1920s he was the mayor of Villafrati. He was also a friend of Cascio Ferro. He died in or around 1950.

In 1912, Guarino, Cascioferro's nephew, told Clement that Cascioferro, who lived in Bisaquino and managed an estate owned by a Tortorici, was the "head of the Mafia" in Sicily. We understand that to mean head of the Bisaquino borgata, but maybe he became a provincial boss. Tommaso Buscetta claimed that Cascioferro was never a "man of honor," but maybe he meant Cascioferro didn't act according to the Mafia code and didn't seem to him to be a man of honor.

As for Bagheria, Giovanni Zarcone was very likely with Lupo. (Tom Hunt makes a good case for this.) Aiello (Ajello) and Pecoraro, not certain about them. I don't think there was any requirement that Bagheresi had to join the Palermo-based borgata in New York.
1 Thanks for clarifying Tedeschi. Chances are he was likely Corleonese.
2 Bagheria is more closer to Palermo and given how these groups work in clusters, you seemed to be of the idea (last time we spoke on it) that Aiello and Pecoraro would have been Palermitan. I mean, without a confirmed member saying this guy was with this group and that guy with that group, it's all speculation based on educated guesses, and I appreciated the pushback.

3 For B., When I review the early SS records, I'll try and do it from a place of trying to connect Cascio Ferro to Lupo/Gambinos. Maybe there's something I can find to add to the conversation even if it doesn't follow my beliefs re. his Corleonese affiliation.

4 In 1902, Clemente reported that the murder of DiTrapani was ordered by Morello, Trovato and Dom Pecoraro. Trovato, for those who don't know, was an in-law of the Manganos, both Palermitan families, Phil Mangano murdered Trovato's daughter. But Pecoraro, Dom (not Giovanni Pec who we can't connect as being a blood relative being he was from Piana dei Greci) lived in Little Italy and was around Morello every day. When Morello went to New Orleans, Pecoraro traveled with him.

5 The above, admitably, does what I advocate against with the organization vs operation spiel. - guilt-by-affiliation doesn't account for Member Affiliations. But without wiretaps and the SS not asking Clemente the right questions, educated guesses are the best we have, which is why new information and ideas must always be considered when we don't have things nailed down with a definitive. So always question.

6 But I would go on to say that guilt-by-association has its benefits. It can tell affiliation 90% of the time but its not indicative of Membership. If someone from Phila. or Staten Island are around Philly Guys or Gambinos all the time, it's safe to assume they are "with" the group they are working for, and if they do ever get confirmed as made, it will likely be with the group they're affiliated with. So GBA does comes in handy, just not by telling who is a former member and who is not.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

1. Do you mean Tedeschi was probably associated with the Corleonesi in New York? If that's what you mean, I agree. But there's no evidence he was part of the Corleone borgata in Sicily. Villafrati, most likely.

2. Regarding Mangano and DiTrapani, you probably meant "married," not "murdered" (although some folks might think they're synonyms). Phil Mangano married the granddaughter. I originally believed he married the daughter until I obtained all the records. And it was Trovato, not DiTrapani.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CC -- I just want it to be clear I wasn't pressing my Cascio Ferro / Lupo theory in this thread. I brought him into it to try and find clarification about Bisacquino's place in the Sicilian mafia since we spoke about that the other day.

The article was suggesting his role in the Sicilian mafia landscape shouldn't be thought of in the context of Corleone, which was less dominant in Sicily during Cascio Ferros' era (yet it was dominant in the USA, which would suggest to me it was always a factor in island-wide Sicilian mafia politics). However, I think the article deserves a little pushback as Bisacquino had to have had close interactions with Corleone, but if Cascio Ferro was even half as powerful as he is made out to be, Bisacquino may have been the dominant power in the region at the time.

What is of interest with Bisacquino is the DiLeonardos. Michael DiLeonardo said his great-grandfather Antonino was a mafia member in Sicily and we know Jimmy DiLeonardo was involved in high-level mafia issues by 1909 as evidenced by his letter to Cascio Ferro (presumably asking about the Petrosino situation). Michael also believes Cascio Ferro was responsible in some way for his great-grandfather and grandfather coming to the US. It's interesting with that in mind that the DiLeonardos ended up as top D'Aquila loyalists.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is the formation of the D'Aquila and Mineo families might not have been as simple as the Lupo family splitting. There may have been factions from other families who also joined the two Palermitani families, or at least D'Aquila. D'Aquila had a large Agrigento faction under him and we don't know how/when that happened. A similar question could be asked for all of the Bisacquino natives who ended up with the D'Aquila/Gambino family.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

rumore's also along with joe n. gallo's family
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

bisacquino is very close to ribera ,all elizabeth nj crews
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

At least two Baltimore Gambino members came from Bisacquino, too... Jimmy Caronna and Joe Tamburello. Joe N Gallo was the liaison between the Baltimore crew and NYC for many years.

It looks like the Birmingham family was made up of people from Ribera and Bisacquino, too. Joe N. Gallo was born there.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Just checked, and the Trifiros of San Francisco/Cleveland/New York City were from Monreale and Ignazio Trifiro shows up as the boss of Monreale as early as 1883 and possibly many years after. Then there's a later Monreale boss Antonino Trifiro.

Giuseppe, his brother Giacomo, and their father Stefano Trifiro were all ID'd as made members by Anthony Lima. Giuseppe's son Steve would also be made into the SF family. Giuseppe and Giacomo were born in the late 1880s, so along with their father they were all probably involved with the mafia in Monreale before coming to the US. Magaddino talks about the Trifiros on a recording and Giuseppe arrived to the US on the same ship as the mother and grandmother of future Bonanno member Dr. Mario Tagliagambe, whose uncle Silvio was murdered in early NYC mafia warfare.

Ignazio would probably be the same generation as Stefano, maybe brothers or cousins.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm CC -- I just want it to be clear I wasn't pressing my Cascio Ferro / Lupo theory in this thread. I brought him into it to try and find clarification about Bisacquino's place in the Sicilian mafia since we spoke about that the other day.

The article was suggesting his role in the Sicilian mafia landscape shouldn't be thought of in the context of Corleone, which was less dominant in Sicily during Cascio Ferros' era (yet it was dominant in the USA, which would suggest to me it was always a factor in island-wide Sicilian mafia politics). However, I think the article deserves a little pushback as Bisacquino had to have had close interactions with Corleone, but if Cascio Ferro was even half as powerful as he is made out to be, Bisacquino may have been the dominant power in the region at the time.

What is of interest with Bisacquino is the DiLeonardos. Michael DiLeonardo said his great-grandfather Antonino was a mafia member in Sicily and we know Jimmy DiLeonardo was involved in high-level mafia issues by 1909 as evidenced by his letter to Cascio Ferro (presumably asking about the Petrosino situation). Michael also believes Cascio Ferro was responsible in some way for his great-grandfather and grandfather coming to the US. It's interesting with that in mind that the DiLeonardos ended up as top D'Aquila loyalists.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is the formation of the D'Aquila and Mineo families might not have been as simple as the Lupo family splitting. There may have been factions from other families who also joined the two Palermitani families, or at least D'Aquila. D'Aquila had a large Agrigento faction under him and we don't know how/when that happened. A similar question could be asked for all of the Bisacquino natives who ended up with the D'Aquila/Gambino family.
1 I think CF's affiliations in Sicily would mirror similar affiliations in the US. It's all connected... I think it's healthy to revisit things and I'm always down to discuss CF. If theories are true they'll withstand the test of time. And also like I said, when I review the SS of 1900-1910, I will review the CF references (I can even email them to you) with the idea that his affiliation was Palermitan.

2 The idea that you're stating is very possible, there was a large realignment of members in 1931 that Valachi witnessed and there's evidence of it happening in Palermo over the years. But we don't have evidence for it which is why we didn't state it. We could say probably. I mean, it's like Bagheria and Agrigento, maybe they started out as their own groups that later merged? It's possible, I just don't have anything that points to it. "The Murder of Giuseppe DiTrapani was ordered by Joe Morello, Joe Trovato and Domenico Pecoraro (1902)." Is there some significance to Dom Pecoraro of Bagheria? If he was Morello's under would Clemente have provided the info like that? It's in the back of my mind but it doesn't prove anything. If Gotti/Gigante occurred in 1887 and one informant stated "The murder of DeCicco was ordered by Chin Gigante, Vic Amuso and Anthony Casso of Brooklyn" we would have wondered if Casso possibly headed his own group or if all 3 men were part of one group.

3 Another thing to consider, is that the Morellos really didn't have much of a Brooklyn presence at the time, that didn't develop until later. We know that Jimmy DiLeonardo landed in Brooklyn which was Gambino dominant, maybe that played a part? CF was in the city on the east side which was Corleonese.

4 In terms of going different families, I think it was more common back then, especially when they didn't hold the capitalistic views it holds today. When members left or transferred, their bosses weren't shrugging over the loss of an earner in a Sopranos sense. Everyone knew everybody else and went into business together. So with this in mind, if I get along with everyone but I live in Brooklyn, wouldn't it make sense to have my representation through them rather than East Harlem? It wouldn't change anything or make me any new enemies.

Again, this is all speculation, we're way off the paved path, but I also enjoy bouncing back and forth ideas. I also appreciate your radar going off about something, so if you need any sources I can send over to assist, let me know. When I go through the SS, I'll send you CF stuff.

Mario Puzo was onto something with the Godfather. :mrgreen:
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 am If Gotti/Gigante occurred in 1887 and one informant stated "The murder of DeCicco was ordered by Chin Gigante, Vic Amuso and Anthony Casso of Brooklyn" we would have wondered if Casso possibly headed his own group or if all 3 men were part of one group.
Great point. It's why LE operated at such a disadvantage without members cooperating. Imagine trying to understand the mafia organization through the lens of the 1900s counterfeiting operation without Clemente cooperating.

None of it is intuitive from a street-level "organized crime" POV -- the idea that there is one organization (the mafia), split into six autonomous sub-organizations in NYC (one of which is based in New Jersey) that overlap in territory and business is not something you can immediately understand even with thorough investigation into their daily activities. Someone can live in Queens, report to a Manhattan captain, and belong to a family based in Elizabeth, NJ, with all of his associates and business partners belonging to a different family that reports to a captain in Manhattan with a boss in Brooklyn. But then we see he comes from Ribera and his business partners come from Alessandria della Rocca and we say, "Okay, right." It makes makes mafia sense.

Unfortunately that pattern isn't always obvious.
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 am 3 Another thing to consider, is that the Morellos really didn't have much of a Brooklyn presence at the time, that didn't develop until later. We know that Jimmy DiLeonardo landed in Brooklyn which was Gambino dominant, maybe that played a part? CF was in the city on the east side which was Corleonese.

4 In terms of going different families, I think it was more common back then, especially when they didn't hold the capitalistic views it holds today. When members left or transferred, their bosses weren't shrugging over the loss of an earner in a Sopranos sense. Everyone knew everybody else and went into business together. So with this in mind, if I get along with everyone but I live in Brooklyn, wouldn't it make sense to have my representation through them rather than East Harlem? It wouldn't change anything or make me any new enemies.
3 - We know that's how things ended up later, but the DiLeonardos were involved from the first decade of the 1900s. That's what makes this difficult. You can look at someone like Girolamo Asaro who lived in Manhattan and ran a saloon where the Manhattan Castellammarese hung out, but no doubt he was part of the family based in Williamsburg given his background and Carlo Costantino bailing him out of jail, plus all his descendents joining the Bonannos. But that wasn't followed 100% of the time, so who knows. Al D'Arco's sponsor Joe Schiavo was a Castellammarese who lived on the Brooklyn/Queens border and reported to a captain whose family came from Trapani (Vario), but they were all Luccheses, a family that was centered in the Bronx/EH.

4 - This must have happened, but it kind of goes against the argument you make in your article (which I agree with)... while there were exceptions, it looks like the NYC families were formed mainly around compaesani lines, and we know most other US families were formed that way. What confuses it is that compaesani were typically centered in a specific colony, so you do see territory-based affiliation but it's hard to separate how much of that is location vs. the fact that compaesani tended to live near each other. But you also see people like the Bronx Palermitani who "should" have gone with the Lucchese/Genovese but didn't.

This does go back to Palermo, though. We know Sicilian mafia affiliation was based almost entirely around neighborhood and village, yet Allegra was a Trapanese made into a Palermo family. However he doesn't seem to have had a mafia background and was living in Palermo, so that makes sense. Then you have the early Catania members who reported to a Palermo family. They didn't have a family yet but given the territorial nature of the Sicilian mafia you'd think Catania members would report to a closer family in Caltanissetta or Agrigento. It does actually make sense that they would be under the sponsorship of a family in the island's powerbase of Palermo. I think it's for similar reasons that you typically see NYC families with "remote" crews (i.e. Springfield, Montreal) even though there were other families closer to them.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 am Mario Puzo was onto something with the Godfather. :mrgreen:
So CascioFerro was Don Vito... the Godfather!
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

great find B!