Giacinto Arcuri (GTA) has died

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Giacinto Arcuri (GTA) has died

Post by antimafia »

Cross-posting.
————————-
Link to online obituary:

https://www.vesciofuneralhome.com/memor ... o/4511059/
motorfab
Full Patched

Re: Giacinto Arcuri (GTA) has died

Post by motorfab »

It's Ontario's Giacinto Arcuri who was suspected of murdering Ennio Mora, right?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Yes. Mora was murdered in September 1996. Arcuri was ultimately acquitted more than six years later.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thank you, with all these names I tend to get lost a bit, even if I am very interested in Montreal, I wanted to be sure not to have the wrong guy. Anyway, thanks sir
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

From the Cattolica Eraclea Online website, posted last week:

https://www.cattolicaeracleaonline.it/a ... to-arcuri/

motorfab,

A number of the Arcuris -- those involved in organized crime and who were living either in Quebec, Ontario, and New York -- have been frequently confused for one another and sometimes misidentified.

Adrian Humphreys and Lee Lamothe, as well as other Canadian organized-crime writers who have written about the 1955 murder of former Cattolica Eraclea mayor Giuseppe Spagnolo since the first edition of The Sixth Family, might have made an error when asserting that the recently deceased Giacinto Arcuri was one of Spagnolo's killers. There are two Giacinto Arcuris who, apart from being born in the same hometown and only 27 days apart, share other commonalities.

In the image found at my Evernote item located at

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 41179ee6af

you'll see that the January 28, 1930 DOB for the murder suspect Giacinto Arcuri is a bit different from the January 1, 1930 DOB that appears in the obituary for the recently deceased Giacinto Arcuri. I know that these are not one and the same person.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thanks for the additional info. I was reading this story recently in Mafia Inc (better late than never ...) and I was wondering if it was the same Giacinto Arcuri, following the conversation we had a few weeks ago on the different Arcuris from Cattolica Eraclea.

The suspect in the murder of Giuseppe Spagnolo is therefore an Arcuri who is not in Canada?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

motorfab wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:00 am Thanks for the additional info. I was reading this story recently in Mafia Inc (better late than never ...) and I was wondering if it was the same Giacinto Arcuri, following the conversation we had a few weeks ago on the different Arcuris from Cattolica Eraclea.

The suspect in the murder of Giuseppe Spagnolo is therefore an Arcuri who is not in Canada?
Sorry for the late reply, motorfab. I've been doing a lot of research the past few months -- one reason is I plan to respond in a number of older threads here on TBHF; another is that I'd like to create some new ones.

From reading Mafia inc., you know there were people who were convinced that Cattolica Eraclea capomafia Nino Manno was behind Spagnolo's murder and that the three shooters -- Arcuri, Salvo, and Cammalleri -- were merely acting on Manno's orders. (2010, French edition, p. 31) The three shooters named on that Evernote item to which I linked have at least one thing in common: Cammalleris in their family tree.

Manno's wife, Giuseppa, was a Cammalleri; shooter Leonardo was her brother. But suspect Rosario Gurreri, who had been asked by the other three to participate in the murder but ended up only loaning a mule to Arcuri, didn't have any Cammalleris in his family tree. (You gotta love how a mule was considered a mafioso's getaway vehicle in Sicily in 1955.)

So was the DOB of the Arcuri who was named in the Sentenza an accurate identification, an honest error as a result of one man being confused for another, or an intentional deceitful attempt to protect the guilty Giacinto Arcuri by providing a DOB belonging to another person with the same name? Insofar as there was a bungling here, I've wondered whether judicial, law-enforcement, or religious authorities might have been responsible, unintentionally or intentionally.

Adrian Humphreys writes that Rosario Terrasi, alongside Nino Manno, also approved the plot -- see https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/th ... ca-eraclea. Terrasi was the father of the Cattolica Eraclea capomafia Domenico Terrasi who died January 25, 2020.

The Mafia inc. co-authors borrowed details from Cattolica Eraclea–born journalist Calogero Giuffrida's 2005 Italian-language book about Spagnolo's murder; the book will be found at https://issuu.com/comunicalo/docs/delit ... tigio/1?ff. Giuffrida's book indicates that on October 29, 1969, the Suprema Corte di Cassazione in Rome confirmed the convictions/sentences of Cammalleri and Salvo -- both still on the lam -- and cancelled the conviction/sentence of defendant Arcuri because he had died earlier on March 3, 1969. (p. 59)

There are obviously police documents about the Giacinto Arcuri who recently died; I haven't seen any of them. I do know that there was another Giacinto Arcuri whose DOB is the one shown in the the Sentenza.

Humphreys and Lee Lamothe wrote as early as their first edition of The Sixth Family (2006) that the Italian government had been misinformed about suspect Arcuri having died. (p. 6) As you know from reading Mafia inc., a letter from a priest in Montreal was sent to the Assizes Court of Agrigento during the trial of Gurreri, Salvo, Cammalleri, and Arcuri -- Salvo and Cammalleri were sentenced in absentia -- about a Giacinto Arcuri having just been killed in a traffic accident in Montreal. (2010, French edition, p. 32) It is not clear from either book when this trial took place -- was it within four to five years of the 1955 murder (Gurreri revealed the shooters' names in 1959), in October 1969, or at some point in between? On the same page of the Mafia inc. book is the information that the Arcuri the priest indicated was dead was not the same Arcuri who was on trial; that the Arcuri on trial was still alive in Montreal, after which he settled in Toronto.

A March 22, 1972 article on p. 1 of The Gazette (Montreal) about the revenge murder of Gurreri in Montreal at the hands of Cammalleri and Salvo may provide a clue as to when the priest sent that letter. The article states: "One of the three, Arcuri, using an assumed name, died in an accident here two years ago." The reporter was off by one year about the date of the accident, but I think this is the same accident the priest wrote about in his letter. The assumed name being used is interesting -- an innocent Giacinto Arcuri wouldn't have to use one, but a guilty one would. To confuse matters more, the same article states that Arcuri's first name is Giuseppi [sic]. In the 1990s, even seasoned crime reporter Michel Auger was of the misunderstanding -- as was law enforcement in Canada -- that Giuseppe "Joe" Arcuri of the Gambino Family was the brother of Domenico Arcuri Sr. in Quebec.

The Mafia inc. book essentially repeats on p. 32 the following information, found on pp. 53 and 54 of Giuffrida's book, about the three shooters' escape to North America:

Secondo gli inquirenti che si sono occupati di loro nel corso degli anni, godendo della protezione della mafia italo-americana, sarebbero espatriati clandestinamente in America prima e in Canada poi, ­«visto che queste fulminee emigrazioni non avvengono senza l'ausilio di una predisposta organizzazione».

_________

Incidentally, one of the online condolences posted on the memory wall for the recently deceased Giacinto Arcuri is from the sister-in-law and brother-in law of Domenico Terrasi.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

No problem antimafia, we all have a social life, and if your next posts are as exhaustive as this answer, you can take all the time you want to answer me. Thank you for that :)
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

You're welcome, motorfab.

One piece of information I left out in my long post is that when the recently deceased Arcuri was arrested and charged on December 3, 1996 for the murder of Enio Mora, Peter Edwards wrote an article, the next day, that stated: "Arcuri, who was born in Sicily, has lived in Metro for more than four decades." (Source: Man charged in killing of a `major mobster': [Final Edition]. Toronto Star. 04 Dec 1996: A.6.) Before Toronto became the city it is today, it was a municipality known as Metropolitan Toronto, or Metro for short.

So if Arcuri had lived in Toronto before August 14, 1955, he could not possibly have been one of Giuseppe Spagnolo's killers.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

So who was this Arcuri with. Rizzuto Ontario faction, Cuntrera/Caruana, Cammalleri?
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

OcSleeper wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:13 pm So who was this Arcuri with. Rizzuto Ontario faction, Cuntrera/Caruana, Cammalleri?
The Giacinto Arcuri who died in January was part of the Rizzuto Ontario faction and was the cousin of the Arcuris of Montreal.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Arcuri’s wife died today, almost seven weeks after he did.

https://www.vesciofuneralhome.com/memor ... a/4560964/
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

antimafia wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:53 pm Arcuri’s wife died today, almost seven weeks after he did.

https://www.vesciofuneralhome.com/memor ... a/4560964/
Oh and they use the Fratelli Vescio's services....who is handling the shop while Luigi Vescio is awaiting trial in Italy?!
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Are you saying that he was stupid enough to travel to Italy after he was charged?

Because that's the only way he could be detained there and charged there before facing trial there. Same with Joe DeMaria, also charged. Same with the Figliomeni brothers, Antonio Figliomeni, Remo Commisso, et al., all of whom are wanted in Italy.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Appreciate your research, Antimafia.

Do you have any idea how/if Rosario Arcuri fits into the family tree? He lived in NYC and was the suspect in the 1933 murder of the elder Vito Rizzuto.