Mafia history and Nicola Gentile

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

blackhander
Associate

Mafia history and Nicola Gentile

Post by blackhander »

New publication out about the life of Nicola Gentile. The most extensive research done to date. Well worth a read!! Congrats to Tom Hunt and others involved.

https://informer-journal.blogspot.com/2 ... ormer.html
In this issue of Informer (our thirtieth), we strive to bring Nicola Gentile’s entire life story to the English-language reader. Building on extensive original research by a team of Mafia history experts and on U.S. government documents designed to extract meaning from the memoirs, we attempt to balance Gentile’s obviously self-serving and self-aggrandizing autobiographical work with verifiable history, to correct the misinformation and to fill in the wide gaps in his personal account.
Ed
Straightened out

Re: Mafia history and Nicola Gentile

Post by Ed »

I second that!

I received my copy of the paperback version of the publication yesterday. It was over 350 pages. Rick W contributed an article.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Buying today!
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Thank you for the heads up blackhander. Just skimming thru the pdf version this looks like something special, kudos to the authors.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It should answer every question about Nick Gentile - except one. We don't know exactly when he died. (If any Sicilian members want to look it up it would be greatly appreciated!)

Rick
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: I have REALLY looked forward to this issue, as I just finished reading the transcript/manuscript of Nicola Gentile I bought a couple of years ago!. My paper back issue arrived yesterday, and the magazine bound issue arrived today (yes, I bought 2 versions)! The extensive research as measured by the copious footnotes is second to none!

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Incredible guys, as soon as I can I will buy this edition.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:43 pm It should answer every question about Nick Gentile - except one. We don't know exactly when he died. (If any Sicilian members want to look it up it would be greatly appreciated!)

Rick
anything on his time in cleveland in the book ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Everything is in there, including Cleveland.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Ed wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am I second that!

I received my copy of the paperback version of the publication yesterday. It was over 350 pages. Rick W contributed an article.
Where do I order the paperback edition?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

JCB1977 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:28 pm
Ed wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am I second that!

Where do I order the paperback edition?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08KJQZJ ... 8&qid=&sr=

Great work here, really valuable addition to the research.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

This was nothing short of an outstanding edition. Great work guys!
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Only about 50 pages in but excellent book. What a fascinating character Gentile was.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Antiliar,

Does the issue contain the research about the Gentiles that B. compiled in the thread of which the post below is an example of the research?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4246&hilit=Gentile&start=20

Specifically, does the issue mention the discovery made by B. of the relationship between Nicola Gentile and nephew Joe Gentile of Vancouver?

I want to tweet a link to http://informer-journal.blogspot.com/se ... er%20issue so that the Twitterverse is aware of the various formats available — found at the bottom of that page — of the issue. In my tweets, would tag you and Thomas Hunt, and either tag B. if he’s on Twitter or credit B. for making the connection between Nicola and Joe.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

antimafia wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:28 pm Antiliar,

Does the issue contain the research about the Gentiles that B. compiled in the thread of which the post below is an example of the research?

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4246&hilit=Gentile&start=20

Specifically, does the issue mention the discovery made by B. of the relationship between Nicola Gentile and nephew Joe Gentile of Vancouver?

I want to tweet a link to http://informer-journal.blogspot.com/se ... er%20issue so that the Twitterverse is aware of the various formats available — found at the bottom of that page — of the issue. In my tweets, would tag you and Thomas Hunt, and either tag B. if he’s on Twitter or credit B. for making the connection between Nicola and Joe.
The article only mentions his older brothers Vincenzo and Gerlando. Dave Critchley and Lennert, who co-wrote the main article with Tom, are members of this forum. I rarely use Twitter, so I'm not very good at it. Tom is probably active on it.