LCN In Maine/NH

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: LCN In Maine/NH

Post by Extortion »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:37 am Joseph Michael Napolitano, son of Orlando Napolitano

September 9, 1977 Bangor Daily News

December 24, 1977 Bangor Daily News

I mean yeah the 1970s, dont think anyone significant has been up there since that danish club and does angelesco operate in maine or just in boston?
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Extortion wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:07 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:37 am Joseph Michael Napolitano, son of Orlando Napolitano

September 9, 1977 Bangor Daily News

December 24, 1977 Bangor Daily News

I mean yeah the 1970s, dont think anyone significant has been up there since that danish club and does angelesco operate in maine or just in boston?
Agreed. Maine hasn’t had an operation going since Patriarca Sr was at the helm. Billy Angelesco moved to Saco, Maine. Not far from Boston, housing is much more affordable and he was commuting to Boston regularly during the week. Through a friend of mine who knows Billy pretty well, he told me Billy wanted to get his family out of Boston to the suburbs for a better life. I really didn’t want to ask him any questions. He has never spoke about anything else and has always said when he is with Billy, it’s always about the old days and growing up...never about OC. They grew up on the same street and went to grade school and graduated high school together and all he has ever said is that Billy went one way and he went another way. He’s had a big job with the elevator’s union in Boston.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

According to this article Joseph Napolitano from Maine was an informant for the FBI and his handler might have been John Connolly.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3323169 ... ton-globe/
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Cool to see this thread pop back up again now. I'm actually in Maine for a month on business, and was wondering what history the NE family may have had in the coastal part of the state. While Maine as a whole has way fewer Italians then much of New England, Portland at least historically had a sizeable Italian minority, so I figured there was some action in the past.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

What part of Maine you in pal?

Don’t know if anyone remembers who JOe Ricci founder of the Elan school is. He also own Scarborough downs. Featured on 60 mins. Basically some FBI agent made an unsubstantiated remark he was OC to someone at Key bank in Portland resulting in his 5 million dollar credit line being shut down and it became this giant thing ended up being a big lawsuit. He was apparently number 2 man to little joe
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Timmoffat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:31 am What part of Maine you in pal?

Don’t know if anyone remembers who JOe Ricci founder of the Elan school is. He also own Scarborough downs. Featured on 60 mins. Basically some FBI agent made an unsubstantiated remark he was OC to someone at Key bank in Portland resulting in his 5 million dollar credit line being shut down and it became this giant thing ended up being a big lawsuit. He was apparently number 2 man to little joe
That case got a lot of news coverage back then. I believe he died fairly young, maybe from the stress. He did extensive interviews talking about how the FBI's claims ruined his life.

What I wonder is how the FBI misidentified him as a mafia figure, or if it was deliberate, why they tried to ruin this guy's life for no reason. He comes across convincing in his interviews.

Did any info ever surface that he was actually associated with the mafia? Was there another Joe Ricci involved with the Patriarcas?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Timmoffat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:31 am What part of Maine you in pal?
Waaaay up, in Arostook county. Far away from any of the relevant areas of Maine. Unless the Patriarcas were ever involved in the moosemeat or snowmobile rackets lol.
salvine
Prospect

Post by salvine »

Another Aroostok guy here; my dad (who used to use this handle) was born in Houlton and grew up near Patten. We still have property up there.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Salvine- do you have a similar job to your Dad's?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

salvine wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:01 am Another Aroostok guy here; my dad (who used to use this handle) was born in Houlton and grew up near Patten. We still have property up there.
That’s cool man. I’m just visiting here for work. Nice to get out of NYC for a bit though. Too bad the Canadian border is shut down though as I can basically see New Brunswick from where I’m staying.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 am September 8, 1978 Bangor Daily News

Joseph Napolitano whacked- Head Severed off

Why was Joseph Napolitano murdered?
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

davidf1989 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:48 am

He was outed as a rat in court, FBI informant.
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

mike68 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:13 am
davidf1989 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:48 am

He was outed as a rat in court, FBI informant. It says it right there in the article.
scalaPTLD
Prospect

Post by scalaPTLD »

New to the forum, hey guys!
Grew up in Portland, spent most of my years here and am still currently here now. Thought it would be interesting to search for any Maine related posts as I'm interested in what has gone on up here over the last hundred or so years related to LCN. I have some family members that have great stories, at least about the Patriarca Sr. days. I'm directly related to the Naps (who I’ve seen mentioned here) and some other families from the neighborhood as well and have gotten cool/interesting stories from there.

A few additions to the stuff you guys have already posted about (this info comes from a combination of info from family members of mine mixed with a little bit of lived experience from growing up here):
Orlando and Joe were the main guys back then, both made, both in close contact with Patriarca and RI throughout their time (moreso Orlando though). John Nappi was another guy, not sure to this day if he was actually made or not, I believe so but possible he was just a very active associate (grew up with his great grandkids).
There were dozens of other guys from and in Portland, a few made (that I know of) but obviously mostly associates. Obviously a lot of back and forth/hanging around being done by Mass and RI based guys as well. The neighborhood back then being the East End of Portland (what was Portland's Little Italy, so like Munjoy Hill, India Street and East Deering). Mostly all of the guys/surnames involved all hail from that couple square mile area.
Alot the families/guys involved also had stores/restaurants, the immediate family members of said Napolitano's still have one in operation. One of the older Italian American spots in Portland, easy to find. Dimillo's as well.

There was a social club, and it still exists today, in the neighborhood but off the beaten path, not gonna blow it up because it's a hidden gem, still has plenty of active members (meaning active members of the club itself) that go there literally to socialize and do their thing. I grew up there as all the guys in my families are members, I technically am one as a result of being granfathered in tbh but I haven't been there in years. We used to have the Scala/Dimillo/Napolitano holiday parties there (the only times I’m aware of that women were allowed on the premises lol). They used to show all the fights there too, probably still do. This is a tight knit place that you can’t just walk into being a stranger or non member. I’ve seen it be used for lots of things, like the ones I mentioned down to summer BBQS. Point is, all the made and associated guys over time (the ones actually from Portland) were pretty much guaranteed to be a member. Its been the only real neighborhood Italian American social club in Portland, at least throughout my life (lotta half-Italian/half-Irish guys are members too, as well as some straight up Irish guys that are from the neighborhood). Typical hang out/gambling joint...all these guys we're talking about and their family are members.

Most of the connected businesses (or connected back then) are no longer around because of gentrification etc...
Patriarca was up here frequently back then, seeing guys directly as well as just visiting Portland. Would stop by my uncle Della Valle's produce stand on India Street and meet with him, eat at their restaurant Valle's Steakhouse (later became a massive operation all throughout NE) would eat at Dimillo's (wasn't the boat yet), eat at The Village, eat at the Napolitano's spot.

Raymond paid for one of Orlando's sons to go to Law School. He became a high level criminal lawyer in Portland and NE and represented many a guy. Cousins of mine that like to have fun talking about this (the guys I’ve gotten info from that was before my time) refer to him as Raymond’s lawyer, haha.
He's dead now but what was his office building on Congress St on the West End still has a plaque on the front with his name on it. This would have been one of Joe's brothers (Joe being Orlando's son that was found in the trunk in Queens for snitching).
As far as I can tell, the Portland guys were probably more involved day to day with Mass guys because of proximity, but were actually much closer with RI and Raymond himself. There were old ties there with Raymond and the older guys. Portland was/is more akin to a Providence than it ever was a Boston as well, in size and feel...this is subjective but who knows, maybe that played a part in Raymond and some of those older RI guys affinity for hanging around Portland sometimes, in addition to having whatever business they had to take care of up here.

By way of Portland's numbers being very small comparatively, I've gathered that the guys up here just naturally got around the rest of NE moreso than guys from Boston or Prov that probably didn't have to leave their areas as much. That would also lend itself to Portland's guys having some seemingly random close connections with other Patriarca members throughout NE.

Portland was definitely a big spot for gambling back then and in ways it still is, what with it additionally laying claim to anything going on from Kittery to Bangor. But it was THE spot for prostitution basically through the 1990's, and it's still very prevalent since then but not in an organized way like I guess it was back in the day. People came from as far as NY to Portland for the brothels and even street workers. I gotta imagine these guys had hands all through that.

I have some cool stories, but there's some tidbits for anyone interested!
Salut
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Do you have any details on the time around the Little Joe/Jannoni hits? Must have been tough on his father when that happened.