General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

I'm not around as much but I wanted a general thread to dump some of the random information I come across without changing the subject of any already existing threads.

An August 1991 FBI report indicated 433 known Chicago and Rockford members and associates. Included in this list were 17 "deceased" members. The vast majority of the names were redacted and those that weren't offer no new revelations. Members and associates were not delineated.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 pm I'm not around as much but I wanted a general thread to dump some of the random information I come across without changing the subject of any already existing threads.

An August 1991 FBI report indicated 433 known Chicago and Rockford members and associates. Included in this list were 17 "deceased" members. The vast majority of the names were redacted and those that weren't offer no new revelations. Members and associates were not delineated.
Thanks for sharing. Any useful info in the report on organizational structure or leadership?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 pm I'm not around as much but I wanted a general thread to dump some of the random information I come across without changing the subject of any already existing threads.

Thanks for sharing. Any useful info in the report on organizational structure or leadership?
Nah, that was pretty much it. Recent discussion has revolved around numbers and strength so I try to post those whenever I come across them.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Between May, 1920 and February, 1990 the FBI revealed that there had been 364 organized-crime related murders in the Chicago vicinity in which a firearm was utilized. When including all manner of weapons and murder, the list is expanded to over 1,000 dating back to January 1919. Interesting in that this seems to indicate over 600 additional murders committed by strangling, stabbing, bombing, etc. As far as the firearm murders are concerned, 16 of them involved a .22 caliber weapon, all falling between September 1981 and November 1986.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:01 pm Between May, 1920 and February, 1990 the FBI revealed that there had been 364 organized-crime related murders in the Chicago vicinity in which a firearm was utilized. When including all manner of weapons and murder, the list is expanded to over 1,000 dating back to January 1919. Interesting in that this seems to indicate over 600 additional murders committed by strangling, stabbing, bombing, etc. As far as the firearm murders are concerned, 16 of them involved a .22 caliber weapon, all falling between September 1981 and November 1986.
This doesn't account for, I assume, Outfit related murders in other states- particularly Las Vegas, Nevada, Florida, etc.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:04 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:01 pm Between May, 1920 and February, 1990 the FBI revealed that there had been 364 organized-crime related murders in the Chicago vicinity in which a firearm was utilized. When including all manner of weapons and murder, the list is expanded to over 1,000 dating back to January 1919. Interesting in that this seems to indicate over 600 additional murders committed by strangling, stabbing, bombing, etc. As far as the firearm murders are concerned, 16 of them involved a .22 caliber weapon, all falling between September 1981 and November 1986.
This doesn't account for, I assume, Outfit related murders in other states- particularly Las Vegas, Nevada, Florida, etc.
I don't believe it does. It only referenced those in the "Chicago vicinity."
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

In the Summer of 1982, the FBI implemented major revisions in how they determined LCN members. Since 1964, they had only utilized two criteria towards determining whether or not an individual was "made," or a member of an LCN family. As the FBI was still relatively inexperienced in handling LCN families at this time, acceptance of information was often liberal, simply to grasp some type of an idea about the number of members in each family.

Fast forward to 1982 and they realized that they now needed a tighter and more reliable system for determining members. Essentially starting from scratch the FBI developed four defining criteria for classifying an individual as "made:"

1. That he be identified by another member (either a confidential informant or cooperating witness).
2. That two documented members identify another member in conversation as such in the presence of an undercover agent.
3. That an individual be identified as a member by two "highly reliable" CIs or CWs, independent of each other.
4. That electronic surveillance (wiretaps, listening devices, etc.) capture a member discussing their own or others' status as members.

Furthermore, the above criteria was to be implemented by field offices in such a fashion that there should be no doubt as to the status of a member once classified by the FBI as such.

In the case of many offices, including that of Chicago, members were "grandfathered in" based on previous intelligence that still managed to meet the new criteria. By the fall of 1985, the revised identification system had been fully implemented by most major field offices investigating LCN families, including Chicago. Those members "grandfathered" in and making up the initial Chicago "Family" membership are listed below:

Anthony Accardo
Joseph Aiuppa
John Cerone
Ronald DeAngeles
Joseph DiVarco
John Fecarotta
Joseph Ferriola
Vincent Inserro
Angelo LaPietra
James LaPietra
Joseph Lombardo
Pat Marcy
Vito Marzullo
William Messino
Anthony Ortenzi
Alfred Pilotto
Vincent Solano
Anthony Spilotro
John Varelli

22 additional members were also listed but with their names redacted. I will be taking the time to search through every file or court document that I have access to in order to piece together an accurate representation of the identities of Chicago made members since this time (late 1985). I will also post a summary of each year with a listing of members and try to avoid conjecture whenever possible but may implement it under appropriate circumstances.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Since so much time has passed maybe you can request a reprocessing to reduce the retractions. Obvious candidates are Anthony Centracchio, Louis Eboli, John DiFronzo, Lee Magnafichi, Joseph Andriacchi, Sam Carlisi, Rocco Infelise, Al Tornabene, and many others who were certainly made by late 1985.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Anthony Accardo
Joseph Aiuppa
John Cerone
Ronald DeAngeles
Joseph DiVarco
John Fecarotta
Joseph Ferriola
Vincent Inserro
Angelo LaPietra
James LaPietra
Joseph Lombardo
Pat Marcy
Vito Marzullo
William Messino
Anthony Ortenzi
Alfred Pilotto
Vincent Solano
Anthony Spilotro
John Varelli

The following names should also be included:

Frank Calabrese, Sr. (Nick C. testimony)
Nicholas Calabrese (Nick C. testimony
Samuel Carlisi (Nick C. testimony/present at ceremony, indicating "made" status)
Frank DeMonte (I am pretty convinced that this the "Frank Belmonte" identified by Nick as having been made in 1983)
John DiFronzo (Nick C. testimony/present at ceremony, indicating "made" status)
Nicholas Guzzino (Nick C. testimony)
Rocky Infelise (Nick C. testimony)
James Marcello (Nick C. testimony)
John Matassa, Jr. (Nick C. testimony)
Dominick Palermo (Nick C. testimony/present at ceremony, indicating "made" status)
Albert Tocco (Nick C. testimony)
Alfonso Tornabene (Nick C. testimony/present at ceremony, indicating "made" status)
Anthony Zizzo (Nick C. testimony)

I can also eliminate the possibility that some of the above were already listed (but redacted) in the initial list because of the alphabetical order of the names in the 1985 member list. Further, DeMonte and Tocco were added by the FBI to the member rolls later, indicating that they were not one of the redacted names in the 1985 list. With this in mind, I can now make a more accurate reading on the number of made members belonging the Outfit at the end of 1985.

Anthony Accardo
Joseph Aiuppa
Frank Calabrese, Sr.
Nicholas Calabrese
Samuel Carlisi
John Cerone
Ronald DeAngeles
Frank DeMonte
John DiFronzo
Joseph DiVarco
Louis Eboli (I have reason to believe that Eboli was one of the redacted names from the 1985 list, due to his appearance on later ones)
John Fecarotta
Joseph Ferriola
Nicholas Guzzino
Rocky Infelise
Vincent Inserro
Angelo LaPietra
James LaPietra
Joseph Lombardo
James Marcello
Pat Marcy
Vito Marzullo
John Matassa, Jr.
William Messino
Anthony Ortenzi
Dominick Palermo
Alfred Pilotto
Giuseppe Primavera/Joey Glimco (see: Eboli reasoning above)
Vincent Solano
Anthony Spilotro
Albert Tocco
Alfonso Tornabene
Anthony Zizzo

Therefore, I can make a reasonable determination that the Chicago Outfit had at least 49 "made" members at the conclusion of 1985; the 33 identified immediately above, and 16 "unidentified" (redacted) members. Additional note: John Varelli died before the end of 1985 so he has been removed from the list.
Last edited by Snakes on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 am Since so much time has passed maybe you can request a reprocessing to reduce the retractions. Obvious candidates are Anthony Centracchio, Louis Eboli, John DiFronzo, Lee Magnafichi, Joseph Andriacchi, Sam Carlisi, Rocco Infelise, Al Tornabene, and many others who were certainly made by late 1985.
Antilliar, see my next post. Great minds think alike, although I want to identify as many as possible before asking for a reprocessing.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Four names were removed in 1986 by death; two naturally and two from murder. These are:

Joseph DiVarco
John Fecarotta (murdered)
Anthony Ortenzi
Anthony Spilotro (murdered)

I also came across four additional names that were identified as made in 1986 that were not on the FBI's previous list; the aforementioned DeMonte and Tocco and redacted names. One of the redacted names was described as being made in 1983, identified through wiretaps by DeMonte as "made," and as being 5'7" and 220 pounds, which is quite a disproportionate weight for the listed height. This leads me to believe that this is John Matassa, Jr.

At the end of 1986, we can be reasonably certain that there are at least 44 made members.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I don't have much for 1987 but we do know that both Louis Eboli and Ronald DeAngeles (suicide) died, so we can mark two more names off the list.

This leaves at least 42 made members at the end of the year.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

We can start off by adding the following names to the list from Nick Calabrese's testimony describing a 1988 making ceremony:

Anthony Chiaramonti
James DiForti
Peter DiFronzo
Rudy Fratto
Gerald Scarpelli

This makes a revised estimate of at least 47 "confirmed" members at the end of 1988.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Salvatore DeLaurentis was confirmed as "made" in a 1989 affidavit by former FBI SA John J. O'Rourke (although his CI's statement that DeLaurentis was made "with" John Matassa, Jr. seems to be erroneous.)

Gerald Scarpelli (suicide), Joseph Ferriola, and Vincent Inserro died in 1989.

This leaves us with the following 40 "confirmed" members at the end of the year:

Anthony Accardo
Joseph Aiuppa
Frank Calabrese, Sr.
Nicholas Calabrese
Samuel Carlisi
John Cerone
Anthony Chiaramonti
Salvatore DeLaurentis
Frank DeMonte
James DiForti
John DiFronzo
Peter DiFronzo
Rudy Fratto
Nicholas Guzzino
Rocky Infelise
Angelo LaPietra
James LaPietra
Joseph Lombardo
James Marcello
Pat Marcy
Vito Marzullo
John Matassa, Jr.
William Messino
Dominick Palermo
Alfred Pilotto
Giuseppe Primavera/Joey Glimco
Vincent Solano
Albert Tocco
Alfonso Tornabene
Anthony Zizzo

10 Unidentified
Last edited by Snakes on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

As a brief aside, the following individuals died before ever "officially" being recognized as "made members" by the FBI, although all of them have a reasonably high chance of being classified as such (excepting perhaps Imparato):

Michael Glitta
Salvatore Gruttadauro
Angelo Imparato
Lee Magnafichi
Frank Zizzo [added, 7/28]

If I find evidence that any of these individuals (or others not listed above) are posthumously identified as "LCN members" I will go back and revise previous versions of the list. I want to make sure that everything in this thread is documented or confirmed! Antilliar also had some good suggestions above that one could reasonably classify as "made" during the specified time period. I am still digging so this will definitely be an ongoing project.
Last edited by Snakes on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.