General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 am I asked on the general mob questions thread but it might be easier here: I'm currently reading a book about organized crime in Montreal in the 1970s and it's about Fecarotta with a heroin deal with some guys over there (Guido Orsini & Santo Mendolia). The author (Jean-Pierre Charbonneau) says he worked in Detroit. Is he really from Detroit before coming to Chicago, or is it a mistake by the author ?
I believe that's a different John Fecarotta. The ages don't match up and Fecarotta was pretty active around Chicago in the 70s.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Snakes wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am
motorfab wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 am I asked on the general mob questions thread but it might be easier here: I'm currently reading a book about organized crime in Montreal in the 1970s and it's about Fecarotta with a heroin deal with some guys over there (Guido Orsini & Santo Mendolia). The author (Jean-Pierre Charbonneau) says he worked in Detroit. Is he really from Detroit before coming to Chicago, or is it a mistake by the author ?
I believe that's a different John Fecarotta. The ages don't match up and Fecarotta was pretty active around Chicago in the 70s.
It's supposed to be him. You confirm it's not the same guy? I only know one photo of Fecarotta and he is older

Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

A 1992 FBI report listed 53 known members or associates of the Chicago Outfit residing in Arizona (mostly Phoenix and Scottsdale). All(!) names were redacted although I'm sure Paul Schiro was one of them.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

motorfab wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:53 am
Snakes wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:39 am
It's supposed to be him. You confirm it's not the same guy? I only know one photo of Fecarotta and he is older

Definitely not him.

I looked up a newspaper report and this guy's listed age is about 7 years younger than the Chicago Fecarotta. Fecarotta also doesn't have any record of living in Detroit while this guy was listed as a "Detroit resident."
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Snakes wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 am Definitely not him.

I looked up a newspaper report and this guy's listed age is about 7 years younger than the Chicago Fecarotta. Fecarotta also doesn't have any record of living in Detroit while this guy was listed as a "Detroit resident."
Thank you Snake for solving this mystery for me, I had been wondering if it was him or not for a while.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Fecarotta I believe was born in Cicero or the near south side like LaPietra and Monteleone. Not a Detroit native but I could be wrong.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:09 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 pm That's interesting also what you said about Vito getting permission to go to California from Aiuppa. Would that imply he was potentially 'made?' Definitely an earner.
He was a made guy. I listed the wrong date for his move to California; it should be 1976. 1979 was when he received Aiuppa's permission to tax bookies and put money on the street, although I'd imagine he would have also needed permission from either Aiuppa or Turk to move in the first place. I figured he needed those couple of years to get on his feet before starting into the illegal side of things.
I'm sure Spillone was getting the money from Aiuppa and Turk to put out on the street. As a sidenote - and I'm not sure this is connected or mere coincidence - Aiuppa had Johnny Roselli killed in 1976, correct? I doubt Vito went out to CA as Rosselli's replacement - but his move could have been hastened by the Outfit needing a guy out there.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am
Fecarotta I believe was born in Cicero or the near south side like LaPietra and Monteleone. Not a Detroit native but I could be wrong.
John Anthony "Big John" Fecarotta was born 1927 in Chicago to Antonio "Tony" Fecarotta of Palermo and Rosemarie Fillicetti of Melrose Park (family probably from Cosenza, Calabria). Big John grew up by Taylor St, and there is no record of him living in or having any connection to Michigan. The John Fecarotta that @Motorfab is looking for was likely Giovanni Fecarotta, born in the 1940's (as @Snakes already alluded to) and residing in Michigan.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Since @SolarSolano brought them up, and if anyone is interested: The LaPietra brothers were born in Chicago to Giuseppe LaPietra and Mariannina Clementi of Capizzi, Messina, Sicily and grew up in Chinatown on W 24th Pl. John Anthony "Johnny Apes" Monteleone was born 1928 in Chicago to Vito Monteleone and Paulina Gagliano, both born in Louisiana to Sicilian immigrants. Apes actually grew up on the Northside, and lived as a kid on Irving Park near Damen.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm Since @SolarSolano brought them up, and if anyone is interested: The LaPietra brothers were born in Chicago to Giuseppe LaPietra and Mariannina Clementi of Capizzi, Messina, Sicily and grew up in Chinatown on W 24th Pl. John Anthony "Johnny Apes" Monteleone was born 1928 in Chicago to Vito Monteleone and Paulina Gagliano, both born in Louisiana to Sicilian immigrants. Apes actually grew up on the Northside, and lived as a kid on Irving Park near Damen.
Thanks. Chinatown gave birth to a lot of main Outfit players including D'Andrea, the Rotis, the Vincis, the Alex family, the Ferraros, the LaPietras, the Carusos, the Bertuccis, Catuara, Ponto and many more....Guzik used to hang around a lot, same as Sam Hunt and other South Side players and during those days the main Chinatown headquarters was owned by Alexs dad Nick and Roti Sr....besides being a shady figure, story goes that Nick Alex used be a great cook....when Nick died, lots of top Outfit guys came to.pay respect

Btw, i think there was one old time player known as Al Capizzi....just my two cents
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Speaking about the Alex family and funerals....Tony Alfervic was old friend of Alex from the Chinatown area and later became one of his main loan sharks in Cicero. Alfervic and Alex grew up together and Alex trusted him very much but the problem was that Alfervic was a degenerate gambler and spent a lot of cash, which in fact was the Outfit’s cut. So Alfervic was allegedly stripped from his operations by Alex and was “fired” from the Outfit. In 1962, Alfervic died from natural causes and during his funeral, Alex passed his hat and collected $6,500 (less than 50 grand in todays money) for Alfervic’s family because he knew that Alfervic died broke and left his family without a penny.

Another interesting situation occurred in 1966, when Alex’s older brother Sam came back to the Chicago area, since his little brother became top echelon member of the mob at the time. Sam bought himself a luxurious $75,000 house (more than 500,000 in todays money) at 900 North Kenilworth in Oak Park, and his house was built by the Van Corbin Construction Company which was owned by Sam Panveno a.k.a. Van Corbin. After finishing the house or on July 20, 1966, for unknown reasons, Panveno was shot and killed by two masked men.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 pm
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm Since @SolarSolano brought them up, and if anyone is interested: The LaPietra brothers were born in Chicago to Giuseppe LaPietra and Mariannina Clementi of Capizzi, Messina, Sicily and grew up in Chinatown on W 24th Pl. John Anthony "Johnny Apes" Monteleone was born 1928 in Chicago to Vito Monteleone and Paulina Gagliano, both born in Louisiana to Sicilian immigrants. Apes actually grew up on the Northside, and lived as a kid on Irving Park near Damen.
Thanks. Chinatown gave birth to a lot of main Outfit players including D'Andrea, the Rotis, the Vincis, the Alex family, the Ferraros, the LaPietras, the Carusos, the Bertuccis, Catuara, Ponto and many more....Guzik used to hang around a lot, same as Sam Hunt and other South Side players and during those days the main Chinatown headquarters was owned by Alexs dad Nick and Roti Sr....besides being a shady figure, story goes that Nick Alex used be a great cook....when Nick died, lots of top Outfit guys came to.pay respect

Btw, i think there was one old time player known as Al Capizzi....just my two cents
Yes, good points on Chinatown. What's interesting though is that while the LaPietra's came out of the Taylor/Cicero faction in the organization, they returned to rule their childhood neighborhood.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Yes, good points on Chinatown. What's interesting though is that while the LaPietra's came out of the Taylor/Cicero faction in the organization, they returned to rule their childhood neighborhood.
The Taylor st/Chinatown connection goes all the way back to the 1920s and 30s, with Jimmy Belcastro, Rocco Fanelli and Roti Sr. Belcastro started in Chinatown and around the 20th ward, but by the early 1930s he transferred on Taylor St and lived with his cousin Fanelli, while Roti remained on the south. By the early 1940s both Belcastro and Roti became capos of their own crews, with Belcastro having interests around Taylor St, Cicero and Chinatown.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

The Taylor st/Chinatown connection goes all the way back to the 1920s and 30s, with Jimmy Belcastro, Rocco Fanelli and Roti Sr. You see, Belcastro started in Chinatown and around the 20th ward, but by the early 1930s he transferred on Taylor St and lived with his brother in law Fanelli, while Roti remained on the south. By the early 1940s both Belcastro and Roti became capos of their own crews, with Belcastro having interests around Taylor St, north Cicero AND Chinatown, besides Roti being the official boss of that same area. After Belcastros death, his interests were taken over by the Giancana/Buccieri crew. In addition, Belcastro was also Blasis sponsor into the Mob.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm

The Taylor st/Chinatown connection goes all the way back to the 1920s and 30s, with Jimmy Belcastro, Rocco Fanelli and Roti Sr. You see, Belcastro started in Chinatown and around the 20th ward, but by the early 1930s he transferred on Taylor St and lived with his brother in law Fanelli, while Roti remained on the south. By the early 1940s both Belcastro and Roti became capos of their own crews, with Belcastro having interests around Taylor St, north Cicero AND Chinatown, besides Roti being the official boss of that same area. After Belcastros death, his interests were taken over by the Giancana/Buccieri crew. In addition, Belcastro was also Blasis sponsor into the Mob.
Thanks for those points. An interesting dimension also is that both Belcastro and Roti were from Calabria.