General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Coloboy
Straightened out

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Coloboy »

1st post ever. Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet....but are you all aware the Fosco is writing about the outfit again on ANP? I didn't know and just read a 4 part piece he wrote over the last couple months. Standard for Fosco it primarily focused on his area of expertise, EP and Difronzo and Cerone.

The most interesting thing is he is coming right out and saying that Difronzo was a CI. Says it happened around the time of his 1992 indictment in the indian reservation deal. He then claims that Difronzo helped put Carlisi, Marcello, and Lombardo away through various cases in the 90's and Family Secrets. All taken with a grain of salt..but interesting to read.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 am 1st post ever. Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet....but are you all aware the Fosco is writing about the outfit again on ANP? I didn't know and just read a 4 part piece he wrote over the last couple months. Standard for Fosco it primarily focused on his area of expertise, EP and Difronzo and Cerone.

The most interesting thing is he is coming right out and saying that Difronzo was a CI. Says it happened around the time of his 1992 indictment in the indian reservation deal. He then claims that Difronzo helped put Carlisi, Marcello, and Lombardo away through various cases in the 90's and Family Secrets. All taken with a grain of salt..but interesting to read.
We have posted about it here and there. Not sure what to think as an one hand Fosco has provided credible and believable information in the past but on the other I think he puts his tin foil hat on at times and has an axe to grind at others.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Snakes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:55 am
Coloboy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 am 1st post ever. Not sure if anyone has brought this up yet....but are you all aware the Fosco is writing about the outfit again on ANP? I didn't know and just read a 4 part piece he wrote over the last couple months. Standard for Fosco it primarily focused on his area of expertise, EP and Difronzo and Cerone.

We have posted about it here and there. Not sure what to think as an one hand Fosco has provided credible and believable information in the past but on the other I think he puts his tin foil hat on at times and has an axe to grind at others.
Agreed. Plus, how could he confirm Difronzo was CI? He writes about it so confidently as if DIfronzo relayed this to him directly. ("It happened in the summer of 92"...etc) .
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6386
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

These are some names we can add to the Chop Shop War casualty list that I don't think we've ever mentioned on here:

Donald Roberts, 12/14/70: Set to plead guilty for running a chop shop in Black Oak, Indiana, Roberts disappeared and was never seen again.
Donnel Crawford, 11/4/75: Chop shop owner; shot in 1975
James Small, 12/1/75: Chop shop employee; "crushed to death on a sidewalk" in 1975. Does anyone know more about this? I tried looking for more info but couldn't find anything. Crushed! What did they do, drop a piano on him?
Donald Lawson, 7/21/79: Car thief and auto dealer; shot to death by a dealership customer.
Edmiro DeJesus, 5/80: Suspect in several other chop shop murders; shot to death
Robert Kurowski, 5/80: Shot to death near his home
Harold Rosenbloom, 11/1/82: Junkyard owner; beaten to death after refusing to pay street tax
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm Vito Spillone was identified by the FBI as a member of Chicago LCN operating in Los Angeles. In 1979, after serving a five-year sentence for extortion in Chicago, Spillone received permission from Joey Aiuppa to move to Los Angeles and operate a loan sharking crew. Spillone was again convicted of extortion in 1986 and served a ten year prison sentence. He died in 2015.

Snakes thanks for this photo - this is excellent. Are you aware of Frank Citro who was one of Spillone's enforcers? He's all over YouTube a few years ago trying to get out of the black book and I believe he was an East Coast guy prior to working for Spillone. Just curious - I've seen him listed on Outfit charts I assume he was just working for an Outfit crew, likely not affiliated post prison.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:42 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:31 pm Vito Spillone was identified by the FBI as a member of Chicago LCN operating in Los Angeles. In 1979, after serving a five-year sentence for extortion in Chicago, Spillone received permission from Joey Aiuppa to move to Los Angeles and operate a loan sharking crew. Spillone was again convicted of extortion in 1986 and served a ten year prison sentence. He died in 2015.

Snakes thanks for this photo - this is excellent. Are you aware of Frank Citro who was one of Spillone's enforcers? He's all over YouTube a few years ago trying to get out of the black book and I believe he was an East Coast guy prior to working for Spillone. Just curious - I've seen him listed on Outfit charts I assume he was just working for an Outfit crew, likely not affiliated post prison.
Yeah, I don't know much about Citro but Spillone's number 2 was a guy by the name of John Barro who owned a chain of pizza restaurants in southern California. In addition to Barro and Citro, Spillone had several other guys working for him. One was John Clyde Abel, a member of the Aryan Brotherhood that Spillone had met in prison that later hooked up with him in California. Abel later committed a string of armed robberies and was sentenced to a lengthy prison term. While is prison, he was convicted in 2012 of a 1992 robbery and killing. Abel was sentenced to death and died earlier this year in San Quentin Prison.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Coloboy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm
Snakes wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:55 am

Agreed. Plus, how could he confirm Difronzo was CI? He writes about it so confidently as if DIfronzo relayed this to him directly. ("It happened in the summer of 92"...etc) .
Yes I agree.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:11 pm These are some names we can add to the Chop Shop War casualty list that I don't think we've ever mentioned on here:

Donald Roberts, 12/14/70: Set to plead guilty for running a chop shop in Black Oak, Indiana, Roberts disappeared and was never seen again.
Donnel Crawford, 11/4/75: Chop shop owner; shot in 1975
James Small, 12/1/75: Chop shop employee; "crushed to death on a sidewalk" in 1975. Does anyone know more about this? I tried looking for more info but couldn't find anything. Crushed! What did they do, drop a piano on him?
Donald Lawson, 7/21/79: Car thief and auto dealer; shot to death by a dealership customer.
Edmiro DeJesus, 5/80: Suspect in several other chop shop murders; shot to death
Robert Kurowski, 5/80: Shot to death near his home
Harold Rosenbloom, 11/1/82: Junkyard owner; beaten to death after refusing to pay street tax
"Ya know, it'd be a real shame if, uh, a piano or somet'in' was ta fall on you"
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Yeah, I don't know much about Citro but Spillone's number 2 was a guy by the name of John Barro who owned a chain of pizza restaurants in southern California. In addition to Barro and Citro, Spillone had several other guys working for him. One was John Clyde Abel, a member of the Aryan Brotherhood that Spillone had met in prison that later hooked up with him in California. Abel later committed a string of armed robberies and was sentenced to a lengthy prison term. While is prison, he was convicted in 2012 of a 1992 robbery and killing. Abel was sentenced to death and died earlier this year in San Quentin Prison.
Thanks - I know one of Vito's relatives well. Vito's father Anthony worked for Angelo LaPietra's crew in Cicero (I think under Fifi Buccieri) and a young Vito actually helped those guys collect - they were running juice out of a taxi stand catering to taxi drivers coming back and forth from Midway Airport. I know his business made Vito wealthy and it still looks to be in operation: http://www.angieswholesale.com/
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

That's interesting also what you said about Vito getting permission to go to California from Aiuppa. Would that imply he was potentially 'made?' Definitely an earner.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:02 pm That's interesting also what you said about Vito getting permission to go to California from Aiuppa. Would that imply he was potentially 'made?' Definitely an earner.
He was a made guy. I listed the wrong date for his move to California; it should be 1976. 1979 was when he received Aiuppa's permission to tax bookies and put money on the street, although I'd imagine he would have also needed permission from either Aiuppa or Turk to move in the first place. I figured he needed those couple of years to get on his feet before starting into the illegal side of things.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Side note: Barro's Pizza was one of the top independent pizza chains in California and regularly won best pizza contests. I can personally attest that Barro's had great pizza. I was sad to see it shut down.

I haven't looked it up, but he was probably related to Anthony Spillone, a likely made guy under Buccieri. As for a possible Citro connection, there was an associate of Orazio Tropea named John Citro. He owned a restaurant and a trucking company. Morris Eller worked for him a debt collector. He died in 1940.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:25 pm As for a possible Citro connection, there was an associate of Orazio Tropea named John Citro. He owned a restaurant and a trucking company. Morris Eller worked for him a debt collector. He died in 1940.
Good info. Never knew that Eller started under Citro....
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

I asked on the general mob questions thread but it might be easier here: I'm currently reading a book about organized crime in Montreal in the 1970s and it's about Fecarotta with a heroin deal with some guys over there (Guido Orsini & Santo Mendolia). The author (Jean-Pierre Charbonneau) says he worked in Detroit. Is he really from Detroit before coming to Chicago, or is it a mistake by the author ?