April 25, 2005 Frank "Gumba" Saladino

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cacuzza
Straightened out

Re: April 25, 2005 Frank "Gumba" Saladino

Post by Cacuzza »

Philly d wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:54 pm
cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:57 am
B. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:27 pm Great write-up. Is there any relation between the different Saladinos? Lennert's list has Frank's father Giorgio coming from Roccamena, while Joseph's family was from Marsala. Interesting they would both have the name Saladino and end up in Rockford as part of the local mafia but stranger things have happened.
Lennert is absolutely correct, there's no relation. Giorgio had been in Rockford since at least 1919 and was from Roccamena. It appears that he was one of the early leaders in Rockford. When Augie Maniaci started giving up info and he told of the early LCN history in Rockford he stated that Saladino bossed a gang of men and that Joe Zito financed that operation. To me this clearly points to Saladino being an early capo. Frank never really had a chance since his father was a member and then his sister Connie married Phil Cannella, another member. Frank was definitely an interesting guy- he could seem like a big lunk and harmless at times or he could turn incredibly angry at the drop of a hat. He wore nothing but black and gray colored clothing and even though he was born in Rockford he could speak Sicilian. The newspapers as far back as the 1964 rape incident had both Frank and Joe mentioned as cousins but this simply wasn't true. many Italians called their close friends "cousins" and whether the two led everyone to believe that it is probably the case. Joe's father was also named Joe and he had a bit of a criminal history in Rockford though I don't believe he was a member.
What do you mean never had a chance? chance at being legit?
I thought he meant never had a chance to be a professional tap dancer.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Cacuzza wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 pm
B. wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:27 pm Great write-up. Is there any relation between the different Saladinos? Lennert's list has Frank's father Giorgio coming from Roccamena, while Joseph's family was from Marsala. Interesting they would both have the name Saladino and end up in Rockford as part of the local mafia but stranger things have happened.
Lennert is absolutely correct, there's no relation. Giorgio had been in Rockford since at least 1919 and was from Roccamena. It appears that he was one of the early leaders in Rockford. When Augie Maniaci started giving up info and he told of the early LCN history in Rockford he stated that Saladino bossed a gang of men and that Joe Zito financed that operation. To me this clearly points to Saladino being an early capo. Frank never really had a chance since his father was a member and then his sister Connie married Phil Cannella, another member. Frank was definitely an interesting guy- he could seem like a big lunk and harmless at times or he could turn incredibly angry at the drop of a hat. He wore nothing but black and gray colored clothing and even though he was born in Rockford he could speak Sicilian. The newspapers as far back as the 1964 rape incident had both Frank and Joe mentioned as cousins but this simply wasn't true. many Italians called their close friends "cousins" and whether the two led everyone to believe that it is probably the case. Joe's father was also named Joe and he had a bit of a criminal history in Rockford though I don't believe he was a member.
I thought he meant never had a chance to be a professional tap dancer.
The only tap dancing he did was on the chests of his murder victims!
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Cavita, are there any Italian places left in the old neighborhood in South Rockford. I drove around there recently and saw Roma bakery closed. I know Maria’s cafe closed a couple of years ago. The st ambrogio club is still open and looks to be going strong.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:25 pm Cavita, are there any Italian places left in the old neighborhood in South Rockford. I drove around there recently and saw Roma bakery closed. I know Maria’s cafe closed a couple of years ago. The st ambrogio club is still open and looks to be going strong.
St. Ambrogio Club is the big hangout there for the Italian crowd. Bocce, fish fry, special events and all. Up the street is The Dairyette owned by the Salamone family. Great pizzas, sandwiches and Italian granita. All other Italian places are scattered all around the city otherwise.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Didn’t the Salamone family have a deli close to the church? I seem to remember that.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm Didn’t the Salamone family have a deli close to the church? I seem to remember that.
You're probably thinking of the Salamone grocery store that was in the building next to Zammuto's at Kent and Ferguson Streets. They had all kinds of Italian foods, sausage, meats, etc. Tom Salamone ran it and after he died his wife ran it for a while.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Yes, that was it. Thanks for refreshing my memory
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Yes, exactly that. What he grew up around and saw and the people he hung around with meant he never had a chance at being on the straight and narrow. Frank was always big for his age so it was a natural he thump people and be intimidating.
Got it. Are you a local?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Philly d wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 pm
cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Yes, exactly that. What he grew up around and saw and the people he hung around with meant he never had a chance at being on the straight and narrow. Frank was always big for his age so it was a natural he thump people and be intimidating.
Got it. Are you a local?
I grew up there and moved away years ago but visit when I can.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I nearly forgot that Saladino was also questioned in the April 1998 murder of 32 year old Daniel Myers. Myers was found shot to death near a liquor store on Cunningham Road just west of Rockford. Indications are that Myers was into narcotics and authorities knew Saladino was making collections on drug debts at the time and interviewed him. Myers' slaying has never been solved.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

cavita wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 pm I nearly forgot that Saladino was also questioned in the April 1998 murder of 32 year old Daniel Myers. Myers was found shot to death near a liquor store on Cunningham Road just west of Rockford. Indications are that Myers was into narcotics and authorities knew Saladino was making collections on drug debts at the time and interviewed him. Myers' slaying has never been solved.
That’s very interesting. What are you instincts on that? Who was he doing the drug debt collections for? Also, do you have a list of Rockford linked hits?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 pm
cavita wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 pm I nearly forgot that Saladino was also questioned in the April 1998 murder of 32 year old Daniel Myers. Myers was found shot to death near a liquor store on Cunningham Road just west of Rockford. Indications are that Myers was into narcotics and authorities knew Saladino was making collections on drug debts at the time and interviewed him. Myers' slaying has never been solved.
That’s very interesting. What are you instincts on that? Who was he doing the drug debt collections for? Also, do you have a list of Rockford linked hits?
I personally don't believe Frank was involved with this murder- indications were that Myers was just a small time user and not a major dealer. Saladino made collections on behalf of the Rockford LCN and the 1980s and 1990s FBI files I have point to Saladino as being one of the major collectors. The files also mention a black guy, name redacted of course, who also collected for them.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:39 am
I personally don't believe Frank was involved with this murder- indications were that Myers was just a small time user and not a major dealer. Saladino made collections on behalf of the Rockford LCN and the 1980s and 1990s FBI files I have point to Saladino as being one of the major collectors. The files also mention a black guy, name redacted of course, who also collected for them.
Rockford's "hits."

January 2, 1917 Joe Tarantola shot and killed outside his home. Two men were seen shooting Tarantola and running away. Frank Zammuto and Phil Caltagerone were later arrested, convicted and sentenced to prison at Joliet but their sentences were later overturned.

October 7, 1923 Louis Milano found strangled and stuffed under a culvert on what is now Kelley Road off Meridian Road. He had a noose around his neck, his throat was slit and his hands slashed. Authorities surmised Milano was killed because of bootlegging debts.

December 31, 1923 Adam Lingus shot and killed inside a café at 219 Morgan Street. Lingus was suspected of being a stool pigeon and informing on Rockford area bootleggers.

February 4, 1928 Gaetano “Tom” Reda found in some brush in a field near the Camp Grant rifle range one half mile east of New Milford, Illinois. His skull was crushed by a blunt object and five bullets in his head.

May 13, 1928 Gaetano Acci found shot to death near Harvard, Illinois. Acci was from Chicago and may been part of a rival liquor group. He was last seen at a gambling and liquor resort outside Rockford right before he was killed.

September 3, 1928 Gaetano “Tom” DiSalvo shot while sitting in his LaSalle roadster outside the Milano Café on Morgan Street. Nine bullets pierced his skull and authorities stated DiSalvo was a known local bootlegger.

August 14, 1930 Joe Giovingo shot and killed from a passing car while standing on the sidewalk in the 1200 block of S. Main Street. Giovingo, along with his brother Paul, was part of a rival liquor faction attempting to take control from Tony Musso.

January 4, 1931 Tony Evanoff AKA Tony Lakoff, South Beloit, Illinois tavern operator was shot and killed as he slept on his couch. Authorities thought that Evanoff had resisted bootlegger’s attempts to purchase their liquor.

April 19, 1932 Angelo Tarallo, Kenosha, Wisconsin racketeer shot and killed while driving his car on Illinois Route 2 north of Oregon, Illinois. Tarallo had just delivered a load of alcohol in Oregon, Illinois.

December 12, 1932 Luigi Giacometti brutally clubbed to death and found at the bottom of the stairs in his apartment at 609 15th Avenue. Giacometti had been arrested on liquor charges three months before and it was thought he was cooperating with authorities on bootlegging cases.

February 13, 1933 Paul Giovingo shot while driving his car on South Winnebago Street near Loomis Street. Giovingo had been trying to take control of the Rockford rackets from Tony Musso.

August 30, 1933 Nick Misuraca found shot and his body dumped off the side of Meridian Road just south of Montague Road. Five bullets into his back at the base of his neck and three more to the top of his head. Misuraca had been arrested with Joe “Blackie” Calderotta and Phil Cannella for several robberies and authorities thought he was killed because he gave up too much information.

October 10, 1933 Anthony Chiapetta shot to death near Loomis and South Church Streets. Chiapetta was said to be close to Nick Misuraca who was killed two months before.

April 13, 1934 Walton Wheeler, Boone County farmer, was shot and killed by a group of men who confronted him on his property. Wheeler was very wealthy and known to loan out large sums of cash. Authorities were certain that Wheeler was killed after numerous extortion attempts by Angelo Buscemi, who was killed himself a few days leter.

April 17, 1934 Louis DalCollo, tavern owner was shot to death by Angelo Buscemi, who later died of his wounds after DalCollo returned fire. Buscemi, described as a lieutenant of Tony Musso, was trying to get the area tavern owners lined up to buy a certain type of beer.

October 6, 1936 Tom Rumore shot while closing the garage doors at the house he was staying. Rumore had been arrested on numerous liquor charges and just three months earlier had attempted to kill George Licali, owner of the Rockford Celery Company. Licali was said to be close friends with Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso.

November 13, 1937 Charles Supino aka Charles Fenello. Shot and killed outside his home in Streator, Illinois. Supino was a former bootlegger and kidnapper. Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci in later FBI files indicated that Rockford’s Phil Cannella murdered him.

December 22, 1937 Charles Kalb shot while driving his car on Cottage Grove Avenue. Kalb was Rockford’s biggest bookie and wire race provider and refused to let Italians into this operation.

June 22, 1944 Henry Lacks found shot to death in a ditch on North Alpine Road two miles north of Spring Brook Road. Authorities stated Lacks’ source of income was due to gambling and he had met with Rockford LCN associate Charles Dursch just prior to his murder.

May 2, 1959 Joe Greco and Donald Burton found beaten and strangled in the trunk of Greco’s car on Montague Road just east of Meridian Road. Both men had been using crooked dice and trying to get into the Rockford area gambling circles. In the months leading up to their murders they had been warned numerous times to stop or they’d both “wind up in a ditch.” Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci later stated that right after these murders the Rockford LCN made two new members- Frank Buscemi and Phil Emordeno.

August 1962 Octavio “Chico” Martinez and Anne Bergman. Martinez was shot and dumped from a speeding car just north of New Milford, Illinois and Bergman’s body was found strangled in some brush near Byron, Illinois a few days later. Martinez was said to be a frontman for the Outfit’s Rocco Pranno and Rockford LCN member Phil Priola was seen arguing with Martinez inside and outside the Town Lounge shortly before the killings.

January 16, 1965 Rockford LCN associate Charles LaFranka found beaten and strangled in the trunk of his car in Elgin, Illinois. Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci said just after this murder the Rockford LCN made three new members- Sebastian Gulotta, Frank Correnti and Joe Maggio.

March 24, 1970 Wallace Abraham found dead in his car parked in his garage on Auburn Road. Abraham was part owner of the Plantation Restaurant with Rockford LCN member Sebastian Gulotta and Anthony Zacharia and had racked up large gambling debts. Though Abraham was said to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the 1971 IIT report alluded that Abraham was killed and the Assistant State’s Attorney further stated that this was the third death involving carbon monoxide in the past few years in which heavy gamblers allegedly committed suicide in Rockford.

April 9, 1980 Joe Maggio found shot and killed in the backseat of his car on Safford Road just east of Meridian Road. FBI files indicate that Maggio was killed because of his opposition to the Rockford LCN trafficking in narcotics.

*August 3, 2005 Todd P. Ghinazzi found hanging on his house after allegedly committing suicide. Indications were that Ghinazzi had large gambling debts.

*December 11, 2011 Michael R. Scully found shot to death in his car parked off the side of the 7800 block of Clikeman Road. Just the month before Scully had survived two separate incidents where he was beaten by two individuals with a tire iron and another where he was shot in the arm outside his home. It was alleged that Scully was a big gambler and had large gambling debts.

*These two are what was going around town in gambling circles and what some law enforcement has indicated.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Interesting that they used blacks to collect for them. I wonder who it was. What was the deal with Joe Saladino being found with all those weapons and silencers by the state police in the late 90s? That shows they were still capable of doing heavy work. Now that the place is closed I will mention it. Saladino use to hang out at Roma bakery every morning until it closed late last year. Did you ever see him there?
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

cavita wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 am
Rockford's "hits."

January 2, 1917 Joe Tarantola shot and killed outside his home. Two men were seen shooting Tarantola and running away. Frank Zammuto and Phil Caltagerone were later arrested, convicted and sentenced to prison at Joliet but their sentences were later overturned.

October 7, 1923 Louis Milano found strangled and stuffed under a culvert on what is now Kelley Road off Meridian Road. He had a noose around his neck, his throat was slit and his hands slashed. Authorities surmised Milano was killed because of bootlegging debts.

December 31, 1923 Adam Lingus shot and killed inside a café at 219 Morgan Street. Lingus was suspected of being a stool pigeon and informing on Rockford area bootleggers.

February 4, 1928 Gaetano “Tom” Reda found in some brush in a field near the Camp Grant rifle range one half mile east of New Milford, Illinois. His skull was crushed by a blunt object and five bullets in his head.

May 13, 1928 Gaetano Acci found shot to death near Harvard, Illinois. Acci was from Chicago and may been part of a rival liquor group. He was last seen at a gambling and liquor resort outside Rockford right before he was killed.

September 3, 1928 Gaetano “Tom” DiSalvo shot while sitting in his LaSalle roadster outside the Milano Café on Morgan Street. Nine bullets pierced his skull and authorities stated DiSalvo was a known local bootlegger.

August 14, 1930 Joe Giovingo shot and killed from a passing car while standing on the sidewalk in the 1200 block of S. Main Street. Giovingo, along with his brother Paul, was part of a rival liquor faction attempting to take control from Tony Musso.

January 4, 1931 Tony Evanoff AKA Tony Lakoff, South Beloit, Illinois tavern operator was shot and killed as he slept on his couch. Authorities thought that Evanoff had resisted bootlegger’s attempts to purchase their liquor.

April 19, 1932 Angelo Tarallo, Kenosha, Wisconsin racketeer shot and killed while driving his car on Illinois Route 2 north of Oregon, Illinois. Tarallo had just delivered a load of alcohol in Oregon, Illinois.

December 12, 1932 Luigi Giacometti brutally clubbed to death and found at the bottom of the stairs in his apartment at 609 15th Avenue. Giacometti had been arrested on liquor charges three months before and it was thought he was cooperating with authorities on bootlegging cases.

February 13, 1933 Paul Giovingo shot while driving his car on South Winnebago Street near Loomis Street. Giovingo had been trying to take control of the Rockford rackets from Tony Musso.

August 30, 1933 Nick Misuraca found shot and his body dumped off the side of Meridian Road just south of Montague Road. Five bullets into his back at the base of his neck and three more to the top of his head. Misuraca had been arrested with Joe “Blackie” Calderotta and Phil Cannella for several robberies and authorities thought he was killed because he gave up too much information.

October 10, 1933 Anthony Chiapetta shot to death near Loomis and South Church Streets. Chiapetta was said to be close to Nick Misuraca who was killed two months before.

April 13, 1934 Walton Wheeler, Boone County farmer, was shot and killed by a group of men who confronted him on his property. Wheeler was very wealthy and known to loan out large sums of cash. Authorities were certain that Wheeler was killed after numerous extortion attempts by Angelo Buscemi, who was killed himself a few days leter.

April 17, 1934 Louis DalCollo, tavern owner was shot to death by Angelo Buscemi, who later died of his wounds after DalCollo returned fire. Buscemi, described as a lieutenant of Tony Musso, was trying to get the area tavern owners lined up to buy a certain type of beer.

October 6, 1936 Tom Rumore shot while closing the garage doors at the house he was staying. Rumore had been arrested on numerous liquor charges and just three months earlier had attempted to kill George Licali, owner of the Rockford Celery Company. Licali was said to be close friends with Rockford LCN boss Tony Musso.

November 13, 1937 Charles Supino aka Charles Fenello. Shot and killed outside his home in Streator, Illinois. Supino was a former bootlegger and kidnapper. Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci in later FBI files indicated that Rockford’s Phil Cannella murdered him.

December 22, 1937 Charles Kalb shot while driving his car on Cottage Grove Avenue. Kalb was Rockford’s biggest bookie and wire race provider and refused to let Italians into this operation.

June 22, 1944 Henry Lacks found shot to death in a ditch on North Alpine Road two miles north of Spring Brook Road. Authorities stated Lacks’ source of income was due to gambling and he had met with Rockford LCN associate Charles Dursch just prior to his murder.

May 2, 1959 Joe Greco and Donald Burton found beaten and strangled in the trunk of Greco’s car on Montague Road just east of Meridian Road. Both men had been using crooked dice and trying to get into the Rockford area gambling circles. In the months leading up to their murders they had been warned numerous times to stop or they’d both “wind up in a ditch.” Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci later stated that right after these murders the Rockford LCN made two new members- Frank Buscemi and Phil Emordeno.

August 1962 Octavio “Chico” Martinez and Anne Bergman. Martinez was shot and dumped from a speeding car just north of New Milford, Illinois and Bergman’s body was found strangled in some brush near Byron, Illinois a few days later. Martinez was said to be a frontman for the Outfit’s Rocco Pranno and Rockford LCN member Phil Priola was seen arguing with Martinez inside and outside the Town Lounge shortly before the killings.

January 16, 1965 Rockford LCN associate Charles LaFranka found beaten and strangled in the trunk of his car in Elgin, Illinois. Milwaukee informant Augie Maniaci said just after this murder the Rockford LCN made three new members- Sebastian Gulotta, Frank Correnti and Joe Maggio.

March 24, 1970 Wallace Abraham found dead in his car parked in his garage on Auburn Road. Abraham was part owner of the Plantation Restaurant with Rockford LCN member Sebastian Gulotta and Anthony Zacharia and had racked up large gambling debts. Though Abraham was said to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning, the 1971 IIT report alluded that Abraham was killed and the Assistant State’s Attorney further stated that this was the third death involving carbon monoxide in the past few years in which heavy gamblers allegedly committed suicide in Rockford.

April 9, 1980 Joe Maggio found shot and killed in the backseat of his car on Safford Road just east of Meridian Road. FBI files indicate that Maggio was killed because of his opposition to the Rockford LCN trafficking in narcotics.

*August 3, 2005 Todd P. Ghinazzi found hanging on his house after allegedly committing suicide. Indications were that Ghinazzi had large gambling debts.

*December 11, 2011 Michael R. Scully found shot to death in his car parked off the side of the 7800 block of Clikeman Road. Just the month before Scully had survived two separate incidents where he was beaten by two individuals with a tire iron and another where he was shot in the arm outside his home. It was alleged that Scully was a big gambler and had large gambling debts.

*These two are what was going around town in gambling circles and what some law enforcement has indicated.
Never heard of the Scully murder. I wonder who did the work? Considering they used blacks for collecting, they might have put sourced it since most of their members are older.