April 25, 2005 Frank "Gumba" Saladino

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: April 25, 2005 Frank "Gumba" Saladino

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm Also, there were indications that Salvatore Galluzzo had taken over the top spot in Rockford shortly before or after the death of Joe Zammuto in 1990. If Galluzzo was meeting with Carlisi and Marcello in 1989 this is another strong indication he was at least very high up in the Rockford LCN circle.
It may have been another meeting and just coincidental that Carlisi, Marcello, and Saladino also attended it. The name of the restaurant was not mentioned.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Snakes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:35 pm
cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:34 pm Also, there were indications that Salvatore Galluzzo had taken over the top spot in Rockford shortly before or after the death of Joe Zammuto in 1990. If Galluzzo was meeting with Carlisi and Marcello in 1989 this is another strong indication he was at least very high up in the Rockford LCN circle.
It may have been another meeting and just coincidental that Carlisi, Marcello, and Saladino also attended it. The name of the restaurant was not mentioned.
Got it.
1) I assume this was from the Family Secrets transcripts?
2) Does it even mention that the restaurant was in Chicago?
3) There were other photos of guys in with those surveillance photos (which I have) but they don't identify them. These ones are from a Wag's Restaurant
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:47 pm
Got it.
3) There were other photos of guys in with those surveillance photos (which I have) but they don't identify them. These ones are from a Wag's Restaurant
The photos were introduced as evidence at Family Secrets but had also been used as evidence in the case against Carlisi and Marcello in 1992. The Wag's Restaurant meeting was on Aprilo 13, a week earlier than the meeting of the 20th. As far as I know, both meetings took place in Rockford and only Saladino and Galluzzo were captured in the photographs on the 20th. Marcello is probably the man on the left in the hat in the second photo. Ironically, April 20, 1989 was also the same day on which Jahoda initially met with the IRS and began cooperating with the government.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Snakes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Got it.
The photos were introduced as evidence at Family Secrets but had also been used as evidence in the case against Carlisi and Marcello in 1992. The Wag's Restaurant meeting was on Aprilo 13, a week earlier than the meeting of the 20th. As far as I know, both meetings took place in Rockford and only Saladino and Galluzzo were captured in the photographs on the 20th. Marcello is probably the man on the left in the hat in the second photo.
Good stuff and I appreciate the info. I will have to look back at my FBI files from the 1980s as even though they're heavily redacted it mentions someone who is "a protégé" regarding gambling debts and/or Chicago in settling some dispute I believe and the Frank Buscemi mention where he mediated some dispute
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Cavita,

I attached a link below. It’s about the granita place called Zammutos. There is a Joe Zammuto that they talk about in the video. It’s obviously not the Joe Zammuto that was boss. Any idea on the connection? Thanks

https://ourcityourstory.com/rockford/se ... -zammutos/
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:38 am Cavita,

I attached a link below. It’s about the granita place called Zammutos. There is a Joe Zammuto that they talk about in the video. It’s obviously not the Joe Zammuto that was boss. Any idea on the connection? Thanks

https://ourcityourstory.com/rockford/se ... -zammutos/
The man they talk about in the video is Joe "Slippy" Zammuto. He was the nephew of Rockford LCN boss Joe Zammuto and the son of Frank Zammuto who I believe was an oldtime LCN member in the family. Slippy used to be the chauffer for old man Joe and he was a hell of nice guy.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Thanks Cavita. You are a true expert on Rockford. Was Slippy Zammuto involved with the rackets at all or did he just chauffeur for old man Zammuto.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:07 pm Thanks Cavita. You are a true expert on Rockford. Was Slippy Zammuto involved with the rackets at all or did he just chauffeur for old man Zammuto.
He was legit and was just a driver for his uncle but was privy to a lot of information over the years. Slippy owned the Zammuto's business and building as well as the building next door that houses the Salamone grocery store.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Do you know who owned the building on Church st that has that has an engraved sign that says “Zammuto Bro’s”. I saw that the other day. Pictures are below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Great job. I enjoy these mob bios very much. You're bringing to life mobsters that are a mystery to most of us. Thanks.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:40 pm Do you know who owned the building on Church st that has that has an engraved sign that says “Zammuto Bro’s”. I saw that the other day. Pictures are below
I remembered at one time years ago and think it was Frank and Raymond Zammuto. I could probably do some digging and find out for sure.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s right on church and loomis.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Snakes wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Got it.
The photos were introduced as evidence at Family Secrets but had also been used as evidence in the case against Carlisi and Marcello in 1992. The Wag's Restaurant meeting was on Aprilo 13, a week earlier than the meeting of the 20th. As far as I know, both meetings took place in Rockford and only Saladino and Galluzzo were captured in the photographs on the 20th. Marcello is probably the man on the left in the hat in the second photo.
Good stuff and I appreciate the info. I will have to look back at my FBI files from the 1980s as even though they're heavily redacted it mentions someone who is "a protégé" regarding gambling debts and/or Chicago in settling some dispute I believe and the Frank Buscemi mention where he mediated some dispute
Well Snakes, even though the FBI file was a full two years before the Galluzzo, Saladino, Carlisi, Marcello meeting I find it interesting that it mentions "several Rockford and Chicago area bookmakers identified." The following is part of that FBI file from March 17, 1987:

RIVER BOTTOM; Narcotics-Sicilian mafia, OO: Chicago.

Chicago initiated monitoring March 5, 1987 of three lines at SICILIAN II RESTAURANT, Roscoe, Illinois. Restaurant [REDACTED].
Through March 15, 1987, 388 conversations believed pertinent to narcotics and gambling violations intercepted.

Interception to date indicate [REDACTED] and several Sicilian associates involved in narcotics trafficking and substantial sports bookmaking. Several bookmakers to whom [REDACTED] identified. LCN membership of one individual verified. Involvement of Rockford LCN underboss [REDACTED] bookmaking and ECT learned and several previously undetected Sicilian narcotics traffickers identified. “Peace making role” of Rockford LCN protégé in settling ECT generated dispute between Sicilians also noted.

Re bookmaking activities of [REDACTED] several Rockford and Chicago area bookmakers identified. AUSA Rockford interested in prosecution of major gambling offenses, however gambling not targeted and regarded as incidental to investigation. [REDACTED] Rockford LCN underboss FRANK BUSCEMI has however, been intercepted in several gambling conversations with [REDACTED] level of betting normally involved bets of $500-$1,000 or more per game with multiple games normally bet.

[REDACTED] also observed in transaction believed to be narcotics related. [REDACTED] re gambling. Both have discussed calling [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] previously identified [REDACTED] of FRANK BUSCEMI, SR., intervened and dispute between [REDACTED] by calling meeting. [REDACTED] required to attend. [REDACTED].
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 pm Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s right on church and loomis.
The Rockford City Directory for 1928 shows the address as 1203 South Church Street and it looks like the owners were Frank and his brother Joe, not Raymond as I thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Ed wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:46 pm Great job. I enjoy these mob bios very much. You're bringing to life mobsters that are a mystery to most of us. Thanks.
Thanks bud! I have more that I'll throw together as I'm extremely bored.