Bust Today with DeCavalcante Tie

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Chaps
Straightened out

Re: Bust Today with DeCavalcante Tie

Post by Chaps »

Not that this holds much weight but quite a few years ago someone put up a website that gave very current info on the DeCavalcante’s. No one knew who this person was but they seemed to know quite a lot. This goes back to the Real Deal days so Pogo and Wiseguy may remember this. Anyway, one piece of information that sticks out is that John LaBarbera was named as a captain. This website was very short lived as it was taken down abruptly.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

LaBarbera's wife's social media shows they have traveled to Italy and are still close to relatives in Sicily, including Settecasis in Alessandria della Rocca. I know the younger Collettis (who are also related to Stefano Vitabile) have traveled to Sicily and remain close to relatives in Ribera.

Not going to assume these are nefarious mafia contacts, but the point is, the DeCavalcantes have always used/relied on their Sicilian ties and the option is still available to keep the US-Sicilian relationships alive. Given what we see with the Gambinos and Bonannos in recent years, and a reference to Ribera active in Montreal, it lends itself to the idea the DeCavalcantes have kept those relationships intact.

I found it interesting that even the newer member Oliveri's parents came to the US from Partinico shortly before he was born. Partinico isn't a DeCavalcante-associated town, but thought it was interesting such a young guy is still a first generation American with Sicilian parents.

Using pure criminal activity to measure the DeCavalcante family is a very limited lens. The exception would be their Brooklyn/Staten Island faction of the 1970s-1990s which might not exist anymore given that was the source of their implosion 20+ years ago.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Anybody know who else was made with Oliveri I read some where he was 1 or 3 made
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Anthony Stango released early from prison only one left in jail from that bust is Charles Stango
chubby
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by chubby »

joerock wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:23 pm Anybody know who else was made with Oliveri I read some where he was 1 or 3 made
I was very curious about this as well.. I highly doubt a family like that would get a whole induction ceremony set up just to make 1 guy... but I couldn’t even begin to mention any names of guys that are candidates to get their button...
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

chubby wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 pm
joerock wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:23 pm Anybody know who else was made with Oliveri I read some where he was 1 or 3 made
I was very curious about this as well.. I highly doubt a family like that would get a whole induction ceremony set up just to make 1 guy... but I couldn’t even begin to mention any names of guys that are candidates to get their button...
Probably guys we don’t know of
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

I'm curious how you write an entire book - to be released shortly - on dime-bag, street-level suburban dealers and still cal it mafia? Can't imagine how much filler there is in the book. The same old cut/paste from other books.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

chubby wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 pm
Don't you have to be clean shaven when your made?
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Sam the plumber had a mustache his whole life. I sure they don't have a problem filling the ranks. They can pick from the whole state of New Jersey. Maybe its nyc that keeps them from going overboard. Juiced up goons for days. Just need 1 guy with a brain to give the orders and make the money
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Pmac2 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am Sam the plumber had a mustache his whole life. I sure they don't have a problem filling the ranks. They can pick from the whole state of New Jersey. Maybe its nyc that keeps them from going overboard. Juiced up goons for days. Just need 1 guy with a brain to give the orders and make the money
Yeah a mustache is one thing. But then when you begin growing a beard, or doing stupid shit like trimming your sideburns that grow into your chinstrap and some fuzz under ur lip. Im not a fan of that anyways but why was it a rule?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:19 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:06 pm
Last time I saw John LaBarbera (maybe 5 years ago or more) he had on a 60k watch and he was driving a new Rolls Royce..lol

but you're right on the whole.
I was speaking to someone about the LaBarbera family recently and I was very surprised by it so I looked around to see if I could confirm and turns out that John LaBarbera's mother is a Settecasi. Not just any Settecasi but a Settecasi from Alessandria Della Rocca. She's either the younger sister or a younger cousin of theGiuseppe Settecasi. The person I was speaking to mentioned her funeral and so I was able to find this

Maria LaBarbera, 93, passed away on March 13, 2014, at the home of her daughter, Rose Marie, in Colonia, N.J., surrounded by her loving family.
Relatives and friends are kindly invited to attend the funeral from the Corsentino Home for Funerals, 620 Second Ave., corner of John St., Elizabeth, N.J., on Monday, March 17, 2014, at 9:15 a.m., thence to St. Anthony's R.C. Church, in Elizabeth, where at 10:30 a.m. a Funeral Mass will be offered. Visitation will be held at the funeral home on Sunday from 4 to 8 p.m. Entombment will be at Rosedale Cemetery Linden, N.J.
Maria was born in Alessandria Della Rocca, Italy. She came to Elizabeth, where she resided for 47 years until moving to Colonia in 2003.
She enjoyed traveling, going to Atlantic City, and attending her weekly gatherings with her girlfriends, where they would play cards for pennies. She was known for cooking everything from scratch, especially her traditional Sicilian cookies, which everyone loved.
Most of all, she adored being around her grandchildren, and spending time with her family.
A devoted and caring mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and sister, she is survived by her children, Joseph and his wife, Mary LaBarbera; Angela and her husband, Fred Adams; Ben and his wife, Doreen LaBarbera; Rose Marie and her husband, Joe Ruvolo, and Giovanni (John) and his wife, Angelica LaBarbera; 17 loving grandchildren; 22 adoring great-grandchildren; and sister, Vincenza Settecasi, in Italy. She was predeceased by her beloved husband, Vincenzo LaBarbera.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in The Star-Ledger on Mar. 15, 2014.
obits.nj.com
There's def more to this.

- As we were talking about, DeCavalcante member Vincenzo LaBarbera was from Tampa before NJ and family was from Alessandria, related to the Settecasis. Vincenxo LaBarbera also owned property in DeCavalcante outpost Marlboro, NY.

- DeCav member John LaMela was also born in Tampa with heritage from Alessandria della Rocca. Living in NYC by 1927, traveled to Italy with Ignazio Scaglione, also born in Tampa, who lived in Marlboro, NY, where LaMela later lived. Both the LaMelas and Scagliones were from Alessandria della Rocca, like most of the Tampa members.

- John LaMela also traveled to Italy in 1955, by this time living in Marlboro. Also traveling with him was Antonino Settecase (Settecasi) who was born in Tampa and lived in Marlboro like LaMela. LaMela was also in Italy for an "extensive period" in the mid-1960s to handle his father's estate. No records currently available to see who he traveled with.

- There was a small colony from Alessandria della Rocca, San Stefano Quisquina, and Ribera in Marlboro, NY. It's making more sense why the DeCavalcantes controlled Marlboro, which is out of the way to say the least. I wonder if Joseph Miranda, who also lived in Marlboro, has heritage from Agrigento.

- In an interview with the FBI, LaMela said he moved to Marlboro in the 1940s and before that was living in Elizabeth, NJ, where he worked for Local 394. His trajectory and background connects a lot of dots for us.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Villain wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:48 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:35 am I never heard that Spilotro was head of a drug op.

It doesn't surprise me, but you'd think with everything written about him this would have been more known
Lots of stuff regarding Spilotro are still not known by the general public...for example, Spilotro belonged to the Battaglia faction and so by the mid 60s the crew pooled 25% of their funds and started investing heavily in commercial real estate in Arizona, where they owned a massive industrial office complex. They also owned car leasing companies, laundries, hotels, motels, resorts trucking, building supplies, wholesale companies, clothing factories, food processors, dairy products and theatres. So who were Battaglias guys down In AZ? Joe English, Spilotro and Schiro and they were connected to Phoenix-based guys such Frank Moreno, Fred Pedote, Arden Lee Smith and Brian “The Mad Pineapple” Ho. Besides the dope trade, they aso controlled extensive network of massage parlors and they also stole systematized gold from the nearby Motorola factory.
Just found this info the other day that Moreno was originally from Rockford and that he moved to Phoenix. He and Pedote were arrested for swindling some people in Rockford out of $8450 in 1964. Apparently this was before Moreno moved to Phoenix.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

The DeCavs have fallen. What a bunch of degenerates. I suppose gambling is too much work!
Massive-Sail
Straightened out

Post by Massive-Sail »

Chaps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:57 pm The DeCavs have fallen. What a bunch of degenerates. I suppose gambling is too much work!
or maybe they are trying to do as the ndrangheta, very secretly, in fact many Italian experts say that a family is when you know nothing about them, there are no arrests and there are no shootings.
we just don’t know anything and maybe they’re rebuilding slowly.
Massive-Sail
Straightened out

Post by Massive-Sail »

Burnstein made a report on Vince Pisciotta from KC telling that DeCavalcantes allegedly put some money on the street for bookmaking and loan sharking in Missouri under Pisciotta’s protection.