I almost hate to say it....

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

I almost hate to say it....

Post by HairyKnuckles »

(This is an old post moved from the old forum. If any new info or new ideas pops up regarding this topic, please post it in this thread.)

...because I have been convinced that Lombardo was the official head of the Genovese family throughout the 1970s. I´m no longer convinced of this. Looking through some new and old FBI files, it sure looks like Funzi Tieri held that spot until he was taken down in 1980. But it appears that Lombardo, although Tieri was his senior in rank, was able to appoint tasks and positions to various individuals within the Genovese Family. Let me point out that this is all according to informants and that there is no way knowing how accurate/reliable they were.

According to an informant who advised the FBI on Sep 7th, 1972, "Lombardo remains as the present boss of the Genovese Family and he continues to have respect from other Family bosses and is known to keep peace between the different groups." This seems to suggests that his position as official boss had not been ratified or that Lombardo had plans of stepping down from his position.

In April 1974, a source named Funzi Tieri as boss of the Genovese Family. This same source named all the captains of the Family and some of their crew members. Most of the names are redacted, but Lombardo is mentioned as a captain. So by now, Lombardo had obviously stepped down.

In 1975, Tieri suffered from a stroke. According to an informant, Tieri "is stepping down as boss due to his health." The same source also mentioned that "Lombardo, who has been instrumental in calling a lot of the shots in the Family, pushed for Salerno into the position." It´s hard to know if Lombardo was successful but after recovering from his stroke, Tieri regained his position as boss.

Also in 1975 (Jan, 27th), an informant advised that Anthony Giordano, the boss of the St Louis Family, had come to New York to meet with Gambino and Genovese representatives and Colombo acting boss Anthony Abbatemarco. In connection with this meeting, the informant mentioned Lombardo being the underboss. On 3/17/1975, another informant states that "Benny Squint is consigliere of the Tieri group."

Later in 1975, also Lombardo suffered a severe stroke. Very few people knew of his stroke. It appears that Lombardi´s associates were trying to keep it a secret.

In 1977, an informant said that Tieri was the boss of the Genovese Family and that Lombardo was a captain, using Giuseppe "Pepe" Sabato to run his daily affairs. It was also advised that Lombardo still suffered from his illness and could hardly speak and moved very slowly.

On Oct 28th, 1980 an informant provided the following information: "Salerno is the boss [probably meaning that Salerno is the acting boss while Tieri is on trial], Lombardo is the underboss and [redacted] is the consigliere." [Probably Gigante]

In November, 1980 an informant said that Tieri was out. He had been taken down from his position and Genovese members have been warned to stay away from Tieri. He also said that "in the place of a boss three individuals Salerno, Gigante and Lombardo have formed a triumvirate of bosses who run the Family." This troika was still in function until Salerno in Feb, 1981 had a stroke.
There you have it, never printed before.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: I almost hate to say it....

Post by Antiliar »

Very informative post. Great job, Hairy.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Great post. I can easily see it going that way as well.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Maybe off topic, but this is the kind of stuff I missed while relegated to that other board that shall remain nameless. And the stuff on Caponigro is by far the most interesting info I've come across in a long while. I'm glad to be here.
AG777
Full Patched

Post by AG777 »

Bump-

Is there any more info on Sabato? Is he still alive? He was close to Adonis and all those "Brooklyn guys who moved to Jersey". Eboli etc.

(Interesting info HK.)

Edit: I see on the chart that he died in 1999. But any info on him will be greatly appreciated. Thnx.
SluggerBrawler
Associate

Post by SluggerBrawler »

Genovese guys sure do have a lot of strokes...
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

why stay away from Tieri? was he shelved?
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

baldo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 pm why stay away from Tieri? was he shelved?

This I'd like to know as well.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

OlBlueEyesClub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 pm
baldo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 pm why stay away from Tieri? was he shelved?

This I'd like to know as well.
+1

Saying he retired or stepped back due to failing health (he died in 82) is one thing.

Being taken down and shelved is another completely.

And this is a boss (conjectively).
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

If I remember correctly it had to do, at least partially, with Tieri's role in the whole Bruno-Caponigro Philly thing.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Interesting.

Cheers Pogo.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

According to a source I interviewed for my upcoming book, Tieri was not shelved. When he died in March of 1981, Benny Squint was made boss. However, shortly thereafter Squint was shelved (supposedly with the blessing of Catena). I'm not 100% sure why Squint was shelved.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am According to a source I interviewed for my upcoming book, Tieri was not shelved. When he died in March of 1981, Benny Squint was made boss. However, shortly thereafter Squint was shelved (supposedly with the blessing of Catena). I'm not 100% sure why Squint was shelved.
Wow.

Pretty substantial claims. Who is the source?
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Whether it's Lombardo or Tieri shelved and warned members to stay away is substantial, very interesting. How the Genovese run things it could have been worse depending what it was about and if true.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am According to a source I interviewed for my upcoming book, Tieri was not shelved. When he died in March of 1981, Benny Squint was made boss. However, shortly thereafter Squint was shelved (supposedly with the blessing of Catena). I'm not 100% sure why Squint was shelved.
Fill us in on your upcoming book. Sounds interesting. I'm assuming it is about the Genovese's? When can we look for it to be out?