Gangland news 21st sept 2017

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Hailbritain
Full Patched

Gangland news 21st sept 2017

Post by Hailbritain »

By Jerry Capeci

Mob-Busting G-Woman In Monster Case Gets A Clean Bill Of Health; Retires

Gang Land Exclusive!John RubeoJoy Adam, the main FBI agent in the indictment of 46 defendants linked to five crime families that has been hampered by an FBI inquiry into agent misconduct, retired last week after more than 25 years as a trail-blazing, mob-busting G-Woman in Uncle Sam's decades-long legal assault against the mob, Gang Land has learned.

Sources say Adam, who has been part of many prosecutions of top Genovese mobsters since she joined the FBI squad that focused on that family in the early 1990s, including a 2003 conviction of the family's legendary boss Vincent (Chin) Gigante, put in her retirement papers about a month ago, shortly after the FBI's internal probe found no wrongdoing by her.

Sources say the FBI did sanction and suspend agent William Inzerillo for "technical violations" of FBI policies for failing to properly supervise and maintain information that was obtained by the FBI during its five year investigation of powerful Bronx-based Genovese capo Pasquale (Patsy) Parrello by his longtime associate, cooperating witness John (J.R.) Rubeo.

Pasquale ParrelloGang Land was unable to learn the length of Inzerillo's suspension. A key finding about Inzerillo, who has not been part of the case since last year, was that "there was no evidence that he had an inappropriate relationship with Rubeo or anyone else in the case," said one law enforcement source.

Gang Land's sources were mum about the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibiity probe of the FBI supervisor in the Parrello investigation, William Vredenburgh. He currently supervises a Westchester-based FBI squad that focuses on organized crime activity in the northern suburbs.

None of the agents, or spokespersons for the FBI and U.S. Attorney's office would discuss the internal FBI probe, or what impact it, or agent Adam's retirement would have on the charges against four defendants still awaiting trial.

Joseph MerlinoPhiladelphia mob boss Joseph (Skinny Joey) Merlino and Genovese capo Eugene (Rooster) Onofrio are charged with crimes including extortion, gambling, loansharking, and health care fraud. Mob associates Daniel Marino Jr. and Anthony Cirillo are charged with illegal gambling.

Manhattan Federal Judge Richard Sullivan has scheduled the trial, which prosecutors estimate will take about three weeks, to begin in January.

Several former FBI colleagues spoke very highly of Adam's abilities, her attention to detail, the knowledge she has acquired about the Genovese crime family, and her willingness to work long hard hours to get the job done.

"She is an excellent agent," said a former FBI supervisor who worked closely with Adam in joint investigations. "She put to bed the notion that a woman couldn't work organized crime cases," he said. "She knows whatever there is to know about the Genovese crime family. Her going is a big loss."

Vincent Gigante"Joy's a hard worker who leaves nothing to chance," said another former colleague who has also collaborated with Adam in cases involving two crime families. "She crosses all the T's and dots all the I's. It's no surprise that OPR found that she did nothing wrong in the Parrello case," he said.

Based on court records, FBI documents and recollections of former colleagues, Adam was assigned to the Genovese family squad after a short stint on the squad that investigated the Bonanno family. She was involved in the original FBI probe of the San Gennaro festival, which led to the 1996 indictment — and subsequent convictions — of the acting hierarchy of the family, including its current boss Liborio (Barney) Bellomo.

From 1998 through 2001, Adam was intimately involved in the planning and execution of the undercover investigation during which mob turncoat Michael (Cookie) D'Urso wore a wire for three years and helped prosecutors indict and convict Gigante, his son Andrew, Bellomo again, and scores of other Genovese mobsters and associates on racketeering and other charges.

Liborio BellomoBefore heading up the Parrello investigation in 2011, Adam flipped a New York mob associate and two Springfield, Massachusetts-based mobsters to bring down acting Genovese family boss Arthur (The Little Guy) Nigro for racketeering and the 2003 gangland-style slaying of capo Adolfo (Big Al) Bruno.

Adam's husband, Charles Beaudoin, served as his wife's FBI supervisor during the undercover investigation that led to Chin Gigante's 2003 labor racketeering conviction. In an interview, Beaudoin praised his wife as an "excellent agent" who was most likely "the most productive agent in the FBI's criminal division in recent years."

Beaudoin, who retired in 2004 and currently heads a private consulting and investigating firm, said "there was no question about whether she did anything wrong. Her name was just thrown in there with everyone else."

Charles Beaudoin He described Adam as a "tough" hard charging investigator who turned down several promotions to FBI supervisor because "she likes the investigative aspects of the job. She told her bosses many times, 'I don't want to be a supervisor.' I should know," he added, "I've been married to her for a long time."

Beaudoin declined to answer further questions about the difficulties of a husband-and-wife team working on the mob, but he did confirm something that Gang Land had heard elsewhere: Like Skinny Joey Merlino, the highest ranked mobster in the Parrello case, Adam is a City of Brotherly Love native, and she is a "diehard" fan of the Philadelphia Phillies. "She often attends Phillies games in full regalia," he said.

Ironically, one of the charges that the FBI cleared Adam of, was failing to upload "numerous investigative reports" about alleged criminal activity by Philadelphia mob boss Merlino to the FBI's database to keep Philadelphia agents in the dark about the case, thereby preventing them from expanding the probe to include cohorts of the Philly mob boss.

Suspected Triggerman In Big Paul Castellano Rubout Released From Prison

John CarnegliaJohn Carneglia, who sidled up to Mafia boss Paul (Big Paul) Castellano wearing a tan trenchcoat and a Russian Cossack Hat on December 16, 1985 and allegedly fired the fatal shots that catapulted John Gotti to the top of the Gambino family, was released from federal prison last week after 28 years for heroin trafficking in a case that has long been tied to the execution.

Carneglia was never charged in the spectacular midtown Manhattan assassination, even after turncoat underboss Salvatore (Sammy Bull) Gravano fingered him in 1991 as the gunman who killed Big Paul. Along with Gotti's brother, Gene, Carneglia had been found guilty of drug dealing in 1989. As a result, prosecutors opted not to indict him for Castellano's murder after the controversial conviction by an 11-person jury and the staggering 50-year sentences the men received for running a drug ring that grossed millions of dollars a year were upheld on appeal.

Paul Castellano HitCarneglia, 73, and Gotti, 70, were both convicted in the third trial of a 1983 indictment of ten mobsters and associates based on tape recordings from an FBI bug placed in the basement of the Long Island home of codefendant, and longtime John Gotti pal, Angelo Ruggiero. Gene Gotti is still behind bars but likely to get the same halfway house placement as Carneglia in the coming months.

Carneglia, whose official release date is in June of 2018, was placed in a halfway house on September 12, according to Bureau of Prisons spokesman Justin Long. Gotti's release date isn't until next September, but he will likely be in a halfway house before Christmas.

Their first two prosecutions ended in mistrials. In the initial trial, prosecutors disclosed that Gambino gangsters had obtained the identities of five members of an anonymous jury panel in the hopes of getting to one of them; the second mistrial came after the jury was unable to reach a verdict against Gotti, Carneglia and Ruggiero, the three defendants who did not take plea deals after the first mistrial.

Gene GottiBut long before then, the tapes were a major concern for Gotti & Company. That happened when Castellano demanded copies of the recordings after learning that prosecutors had used info they gleaned from the tapes to bug his home.

The demand from the crime family boss became a crisis for the defendants since Ruggiero had been recorded badmouthing Castellano and his role as a member of the Mafia Commission. Fearing he'd get whacked if Big Paul heard what he'd said, Ruggiero prevailed on John Gotti and their mentor and protector, underboss Aniello (Neil) Dellacroce, to refuse to turn them over.

John GottiWhen Dellacroce died in early December of 1985, and an angry Castellano promoted key aide Thomas Bilotti to underboss, John Gotti decided it was a kill or be killed situation. He chose Carneglia and three other drug dealers to serve as his four-man hit team and take out both men, according to testimony at the Dapper Don's 1992 trial.

Carneglia, who was acquitted along with the Gotti brothers and four others at the Dapper Don's 1987 trial, was also involved in the 1976 killing of a court officer and the 1980 murder of a backyard Gotti family neighbor who killed 12-year-old Frank Gotti in a tragic car accident, according to FBI and NYPD documents.

Unbefitting his allegedly violent persona, Carneglia was always an easy going, quick witted jokester during breaks in the action at his four Brooklyn Federal Court trials that Gang Land covered and wrote about during the 1980s.

Aniello DellacroceAt one point, regarding his codefendant Ruggiero, who was also overheard on FBI wiretaps and bugs at other locations including Casa Storta, a now-defunct Park Slope eatery then favored by the Colombo family, Carneglia said: "If you dial any seven numbers, it's 50-50 Angelo will pick up the phone."

After the second drug trial ended in a hung jury, he issued a challenge to the FBI. "You get your 20 toughest guys. I'll do the same, and we'll settle this once and for all outside the courtroom," according to Gang Land's best recollection, aided and abetted by the memory of a friend.

There were no smiles when Carneglia and Gotti were hit with 50 year prison terms, but during his time behind bars, Carneglia retained his often acerbic wit, especially when it came to his lawyers, both in tape recorded words, and in a cartoon he mailed home to friends in 2009 from the federal penitentiary in Pennsylvania where he spent the last stretch of his sentence.

Three Stooges As Carneglia Lawyers"Sometimes, court appointed lawyers are better than the lawyers you pay for," he said, recalling that if he had retained Jacoby & Meyers for $400 instead of retaining the "high-priced arsenal of lawyers" who represented him in his drug case, he could have taken a seven year plea deal he had been offered, and been much better off.

"If I had taken a plea in '83, I would've been home 19 years already," he said. "So don't tell me about lawyers and court-appointed lawyers. Sometimes the results are worse. I got 50. Thank God I was only facing 50. I only got 50. If I would've taken a plea with Jacoby & Meyers for $400, I would've been home 19 years already."

A few months after Gang Land reported Carneglia's lament, we received a copy of a cartoon of the Three Stooges squeezed into a car with a caption that read, "Fischetti, Pollok & Shargel, my lawyers, on the way to court."

Lawyer: 'Made-For-TV Movie' Prison Escape A Made-Up Fantasy Of A Sore-Losing G-Man

Christopher LondonioTop New York federal officials announced last week that they had thwarted an escape plot by a Luchese soldier that "sounded like a script for a made-for-TV movie." But yesterday, the mobster's lawyer said the charge was closer to a cartoon fantasy — one that was likely invented out of whole cloth by an FBI agent still smarting from the four times the defense attorney has bested him in court in recent years.

Charles Carnesi, the winning lawyer, made his comments in response to the dramatic news release issued by acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon Kim and New York FBI boss William Sweeney.

In a press release designed to draw maximum media attention, the two top feds claimed that Christopher Londonio, who is awaiting trial for a 2013 murder, had hatched an elaborate escape plan from the federal lockup in Brooklyn that included tied-up bedsheets, a priest, a hacksaw blade, and dental floss.

Charles CarnesiThe escape allegation was a new addition to a racketeering indictment filed last May against Londonio and 18 other Lucheses charging them with a laundry list of crimes, including a lucrative fraud scheme that allegedly cost the city millions of dollars in an expansion project at Bronx Lebanon Hospital.

The indictment also accuses Londonio and the others with extortion, gambling, loansharking, money laundering, arson, and drug dealing, as well as the gangland-style slaying of former Purple Gang leader Michael Meldish and three attempted mob rubouts over the past five years.

In a letter to the federal judge assigned to the case, prosecutors wrote that Londonio planned to escape from the Metropolitan Detention Center in June by soliciting "a priest to smuggle a saw blade into the facility" and by using "dental floss as a cutting tool to tamper with a window" from which he hoped to escape by using a rope fashioned from sheets he had "secretly stockpiled."

Kim JoonIn the news release, Sweeney, the city's top FBI agent, said the scheme, complete with dental floss and a priest's assistance, "defies comprehension."

When contacted by Gang Land, Carnesi declined to respond to the allegations in the prosecutors' letter to White Plains Federal Judge Cathy Seibel "at this time." But the lawyer made it very clear that he doubts the veracity of the escape charges in his response to the statements U.S. Attorney Kim and FBI boss Sweeney made in the news release.

"U.S. Attorney Kim says the plan was like the script for a made-for TV move and FBI Director Sweeney says the allegations defy comprehension," Carnesi began, speaking clearly, slowly, and measuring every word.

"They're right," the lawyer continued. "The obvious explanation is the allegations simply are not true. When the story being told sounds like a fictional script that defies comprehension, I believe it's time to take a hard look at the storyteller, FBI agent Ted Otto."

William Sweeney"This is just another Ted Otto special," said Carnesi, referring to the veteran G-Man, the case agent in the three-year-long FBI investigation. "I'm not concerned about it. I've had four cases with this guy over the years, and each and every time, my client walked out the front courthouse door; no one ever had to go out a window."

For newcomers to Gang Land, three cases involved trials at which he was the lead defense lawyer for mob scion John (Junior) Gotti and Otto was the case agent. All ended in hung juries — the two 2006 racketeering trials that focused on the 1992 shooting of Curtis Sliwa, and the 2009 drug dealing and murder trial at which John Alite was the key witness.

The fourth case involved the unprecedented outright dismissal of federal murder charges by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney's office for a lack of evidence. That was in 2014, when prosecutors re-examined evidence Otto had supplied against a mob associate for a 1990 killing of a suspected federal informer and decided there was no evidence to back up the allegations in the indictment.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Re: Gangland news 21st sept 2017

Post by gohnjotti »

After the second drug trial ended in a hung jury, he issued a challenge to the FBI. "You get your 20 toughest guys. I'll do the same, and we'll settle this once and for all outside the courtroom,"

:lol:
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Straightened out

Post by 100100 »

John and Charles seem like completely opposites, minus the killing part.
Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Post by Teddy Persico »

Those were some nice stories about CC.

As for the Londonio indicent, I think the Feds are still trying to scare someone into flipping over the murder charge. If someone involves cooperates, the case is over. If they all hold the line, we'll see what evidence they have at trial.
The way you talk, you just confuse him.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Do the Gambino's make Carneglia a captain or put him with Gene?
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

TommyGambino wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:28 am Do the Gambino's make Carneglia a captain or put him with Gene?
Or maybe they both go under gurino or paradiso ??
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Hailbritain wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:43 am
TommyGambino wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:28 am Do the Gambino's make Carneglia a captain or put him with Gene?
I'd be surprised if Gurino isn't replaced by Gene.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

TommyGambino wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 am
Why would you say that ?? Just coz he's spent 30 years in the can ?? Which gurino brother ?? They are both captains
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

After doing 30yrs it'd be hard to see them not getting their stripes.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Hailbritain wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 am
Why would you say that ?? Just coz he's spent 30 years in the can ?? Which gurino brother ?? They are both captains
Plus he has always been well respected and was a rising star before the stint.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Hailbritain wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 am
Ceasar has Gene's old crew, he was an associate under him. I think your underrating Gene's clout in the family and yes because he did 30 years.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

30 years is quite a long time. He's coming home to what will amount to another planet from what he remembers. I can see him becoming a captain eventually but only after a long adjustment period.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 am After the second drug trial ended in a hung jury, he issued a challenge to the FBI. "You get your 20 toughest guys. I'll do the same, and we'll settle this once and for all outside the courtroom,"

:lol:
absolutely classic

I have a feeling the FBI cowered in defeat

Like when Scarfo Sr told the feds "and stay the fuck away from our women" :lol:
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:22 pm 30 years is quite a long time. He's coming home to what will amount to another planet from what he remembers. I can see him becoming a captain eventually but only after a long adjustment period.
Hopefully someone doesnt offer Gene a free tv ala feech lamanna
Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Post by Teddy Persico »

I'm more skeptical of Gene becoming a captain and running a crew after 29 years in prison. The Feds will be watching him because of his last name alone just like they did with John Gotti's grandson. He'd be better off laying back and just making money where he can (assuming he jumps back in).

At the end of the day he has all the rights and privileges of a respected made man but how is he going to be a captain after 30 years in jail?
The way you talk, you just confuse him.