Who killed Angelo Bruno?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Who killed Angelo Bruno?

Post by Lupara »

In response to the thread on who killed Caponigro, I'm personally more interested in who actually pulled the trigger on Bruno. We know Caponigro had given the order. Did Caponigro have his own crew? And if so, which guys were under him, because the answer to this question lies there.
Rocco
Full Patched

Re: Who killed Angelo Bruno?

Post by Rocco »

I am pretty sure we had a long thread on who killed Bruno...? No ?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

According to George Freselone, Caponigro pulled the trigger himself. Another suspect often thrown around was Capongiro's brother-in-law Alfred "Freddy" Salerno (who was of course whacked with Caponigro).

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

I've read blood oath and fresolone seemed convinced it was caponigro himself . He said believe me if he wanted a guy killed he did it himself
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Sindone is a suspect to me, and B. made a good point that it may have been Vic DeLuca & Joe Pedulla.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Deluca and pedulla both flipped , surely they would have tole the Feds
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Hailbritain wrote:Deluca and pedulla both flipped , surely they would have tole the Feds
Forgot about that, thanks. I still don't see Caponigro coming down from Newark to pop Bruno, it was someone in Philly.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Rocco wrote:I am pretty sure we had a long thread on who killed Bruno...? No ?
Now that you mention it I do remember that. Did the thread also focus on the actual assassin?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Pogo The Clown wrote:According to George Freselone, Caponigro pulled the trigger himself. Another suspect often thrown around was Capongiro's brother-in-law Alfred "Freddy" Salerno (who was of course whacked with Caponigro).

Pogo
How could a guy expect to become the new boss if he had to do it all by himself? In order to take over the family he needed his own muscle, especially to prepare himself against any retribution from Bruno loyalists.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Raymond Martorano was certainly part of the plot, Stanfa was the fill in for him as driver , I dont believe in coincidences
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Pogo The Clown wrote:According to George Freselone, Caponigro pulled the trigger himself. Another suspect often thrown around was Capongiro's brother-in-law Alfred "Freddy" Salerno (who was of course whacked with Caponigro).

Pogo
Didn't crazy phil say it was tony bananas as well?
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This is discussed extensively elsewhere, but DeLuca was seen in the area right before the murder by multiple witnesses and police suspected him of being involved.

I strongly believe that Long John Martirano was involved in the conspiracy and may have set up the actual murder. Someone at Cous' had to call the shooter(s) and tell them that Bruno was leaving and not only did Martirano beg off from driving Bruno home, but he was at Cous' that night. He was also extremely paranoid after the hit, traveling with armed bodyguards who would stake out the street before he'd get out of his car. Seems overly paranoid for an associate.

I've tried to do research into the relationship between DeLuca and Martirano and while I don't know of any strong connections, they definitely knew each other and may have done business together. Long John's drug business put him into contact with a lot of people, especially the rough crowd that ended up siding with Riccobene later.

Phil Leonetti has said that the shotgun was provided to Caponigro by Felix Bocchino but I have no idea how he would know that and why Bocchino wasn't killed for being involved. I know that Bocchino came to Testa/Scarfo and pledged his loyalty, so it's possible during this time he told them about the shotgun and said he didn't know how it would be used or something... i.e. "Tony asked me for a shotgun and I got him one."
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

I came across evidence that suggested to me, at least, that Martirano was feeding Intel to the FBI in the 1960s. If he was an informant, he probably told the FBI how the murder went down. (Minimizing his guilt of course).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ed wrote:I came across evidence that suggested to me, at least, that Martirano was feeding Intel to the FBI in the 1960s. If he was an informant, he probably told the FBI how the murder went down. (Minimizing his guilt of course).
Without knowing the specific evidence, Martirano is a good candidate for being a CI. He was proposed for membership but shot down during the 1960's, which may have been one reason he was upset with Bruno, and he also had some of the other traits common with other CIs: drug dealer, very willing to use violence, out for himself, etc.

If he was still providing info during the 1980's, I don't believe he would have admitted to knowing who killed Bruno, though.

It is interesting that he wasn't allowed to be made during Bruno's reign (though it was Riccobene who personally shot his name down), but he was made not too long after Bruno died. That would certainly be one motivating factor for his involvement in the murder.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Had no idea Long John was proposed and shot down for membership in 1960s or that he was a possible informant. Good info guy's.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.