Researching the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Researching the Mafia

Post by PolackTony »

For whatever reason, there are surnames that show up on one map but not another, so sometimes one will have to use multiple maps or go into vital records.

Here’s another one that’s very useful:

https://www.cognomix.it/
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Any one have experience or advice on how to get documents from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)? I did efoia request on Luppino and the response was that potential documents that may fulfill my request had been moved there.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

FultonHistory hasn't been working for me, is this happening to anyone else?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

bn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:40 pm FultonHistory hasn't been working for me, is this happening to anyone else?
If you're on Facebook like the Fulton Postcards page for updates. He said he had to temporarily shut down the site for about a week for maintenance.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Not directly released to info-based research, but this is a great site for comparing two maps at close to the same scale:
https://acme.com/same_scale/

For those interested in studying the Sicilian / Italian hometowns it puts things in perspective. For example I put up a map of my area and compare it to comuni and regions to understand how close they are, how big a town is, etc. It's hard to understand just by reading about them on paper.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

This could be potentially very bad news for researchers and mob buffs alike. A judge ruled against the Internet Archive, a fantastic resource that I use all the time.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-ju ... r-AA193bkr
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 pm This could be potentially very bad news for researchers and mob buffs alike. A judge ruled against the Internet Archive, a fantastic resource that I use all the time.
I saw that as well. A lot of great books in the library that are very hard to find anywhere else. I've just been reading The Animal in Hollywood there. Might be an idea to preserve some stuff while we can in case the worst happens. The NJ death index on there is a great researching resource.

Not just even talking about books, there's loads of great resources there. The Way Back Machine, movies, other records...
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

chin_gigante wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:56 am
Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 pm This could be potentially very bad news for researchers and mob buffs alike. A judge ruled against the Internet Archive, a fantastic resource that I use all the time.
I saw that as well. A lot of great books in the library that are very hard to find anywhere else. I've just been reading The Animal in Hollywood there. Might be an idea to preserve some stuff while we can in case the worst happens. The NJ death index on there is a great researching resource.

Not just even talking about books, there's loads of great resources there. The Way Back Machine, movies, other records...
Yes, I uploaded some FBI files there, including Paul Ricca's. Gavin Schmitt uploaded a ton of files. So have others. It would be a huge loss if the site goes down.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Indeed, very bad news, I use it a lot as well ...
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

An interesting site including informer information. I found this passage interesting, because I guess I thought the underboss would inherit the role or be voted in as boss by the other consigliere, perhaps new sottocapo, capodecine and maybe soldiers (or even a higher counsel). Interesting it’s solely up to the congregation of capodecine of the family. Really shows how organizational this thing was.

NY 92-2300

NY T-l further advised that generally the new
"boss" would be chosen from among the "capo regime", rather ^
than succession of the "underboss". The reason behind this is
that the real power rests with the "capo regime, " who are
directly associated with the "soldiers" on the operational
level of the organization. The source advised that
occasionally violence erupts as the "capo regime struggle
for power.

https://archive.org/stream/CosaNostra-B ... 6_djvu.txt
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

From an email sent to me by MyHeritage this morning:

Canada Day presents a perfect opportunity to explore and celebrate your Canadian heritage. To this end, we’re pleased to offer free access to all our 109.2 million historical records from Canada from June 29–July 2, 2023.

Does MyHeritage offer Americans the same type of offer in the days preceding Independence Day (July 4)?
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

For the early researchers without an ancestry subscription, a tool i use is AI sites like Bard to find out DOB/DOD. It led me to find some info on Salvatore Calderone, the one Gentile mentioned on the Pittsburgh consiglio. This is the info it gave me:

Salvatore Calderone was born on June 29, 1858, in Termini Imerese, Sicily, Italy. He immigrated to the United States in 1880 and settled in Apollo, Pennsylvania. He died on April 16, 1933, in Apollo, Pennsylvania.

Here are some other details about Salvatore Calderone:

He was married to Anna Calderone.
He had two sons, Saverio and John.
He was a fruit dealer and the operator of the Apollo Bottling Works during Prohibition.
He was buried in the Riverview-Apollo Cemetery in Orchard Hills, Armstrong, Pennsylvania.
Makelaiusiwk
Straightened out

Post by Makelaiusiwk »

Ancestry is a good one.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Makelaiusiwk wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:54 am Ancestry is a good one.
It is pretty expensive and Antilliar already listed it.