Researching the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Researching the Mafia

Post by maxiestern11 »

There are 2 people that I’m curious to investigate but don’t know how to get inf on them. They are George Colleti (or Colletti) and James Cororella. They live on E.14 St., and E.13 St., in NYC off First Ave downtown. They were charged and acquitted in a homicide in Elizebeth NJ back in 1923 I believe. The murder victim being one Pietrino Caiozzo. He was shot 6 times....I believe this murder ties in with the larger Castellammrese conflict between the Buccellatto clan and the Magaddino/Bonanno clan for supremacy in America. It was a vendetta carried over from Sicily resulting in many killing both there and America. If any body specializes in early history I think this would open a wealth of additional information. This was not a singular isolated incident but rather tied into almost all early history/development of the later groups in USA that developed. The Good Killers, etc. I appreciate any help given. And victim surname has been spelled Carozzo, Caiozzo, Caizzo
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Added a couple more links, including the suggestion from Mickey Meatballs.
sick
Prospect

Post by sick »

Very helpful, thank you.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Added links for FREE New York and Brooklyn city directories
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

There is a great site that I've used before that has FREE birth, death and marriage records for Sicily. The problem is my Malwarebytes program is telling me that it has a trojan. I don't know if this is true or a glitch, so try at your own risk. All records are in Italian.

Siusa.archivi.beniculturali.it
Storia archivistica: I registri di Stato civile sono conservati presso la sede ... e morte conservati presso l'archivio storico diocesano di Palermo (1820-1905)
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Sicily Birth, Death and Marriage records 1820-1865:

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... aurazione/
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Italian census records (select) online:

https://surnamesinitaly.com/genealogica ... php?page=1

- Go to the bottom of the page, where the table for page 1 ends.

- The 81 pages you can scroll through are alphabetically ordered by provincia (province).

- Once you find the province on a particular page, you then have to check column 2 to see whether there are census records available for a particular comune in the province.

- Then click on the corresponding hyperlink in column 3. (Doing so will get to the website that Antiliar linked to in the post above mine; his post specifically linked to a webpage for Palermo.)

- With Arezzo being the very first province listed--it is in Tuscany--right off the bat you realize that there are no census records for Agrigento available on this site. Of the other remaining Sicilian provinces, only Catania (pp. 21–23) and Palermo (52–54) are represented here.
JoeTheBoss
Associate

Post by JoeTheBoss »

Somewhere out there there is a chicago crimes commission timeline of organized crime murders in chicago. it's super detailed and for the life of me i cannot find the damn thing but would def. make a great addition to the list
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JoeTheBoss wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:30 pm Somewhere out there there is a chicago crimes commission timeline of organized crime murders in chicago. it's super detailed and for the life of me i cannot find the damn thing but would def. make a great addition to the list
I think you're talking about this:
https://ahistoryofviolenceinchicago.blo ... o-mob.html
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Aside from Maryfarrell, are there other sites with released files on them?
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

MF for me has been the best. But also just googling you might pull up Scarpa’s files(very extensive) .... other than that FOIA although often very redacted is very good too
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

bert wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 pm Aside from Maryfarrell, are there other sites with released files on them?
Go to the first page of this thread and look under "crime related."
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

bert wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 pm Aside from Maryfarrell, are there other sites with released files on them?
Go to the FBI website and click on a link that says "The Vault"
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Thanks, the John Jay one looks good too.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Is there anything special about the book Al Capone Biography of a Self-Made Man by Fred Pasley?