Researching the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Researching the Mafia

Post by Wiseguy »

Some trends to notice above ^

It's basically the same view from the 1960's through the 1980's, i.e. 24-26 families nationwide, etc.

The tune changes during the 1990's, sometimes going too far in declaring the mob dead.

In the 2000's on, the predictions of the mob's demise lessen a little, and you tend to see the same families listed over and over as the ones remaining. Sometimes the five New York families and Chicago are singled out, which I think was a result of outdated views on the Outfit by that point.

In the 2010's, you basically see the same remaining families listed but with with more particular focus on New York.
All roads lead to New York.
Morbid1
Prospect

Post by Morbid1 »

Thanks for posting these websites and the links to the pdf docs Antiliar much appreciated. I have some of those pdf's but not all of them.
~~The Morbid One~~
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 pm But most those sources tho have Proven to be in accurate.... U just posted Wikipedia.... We all know that old beef we all had with that.

The problem is.... This is a SECRET SOCIETY.
....were not supposed to know lol....
Sometimes when someone finds out to much.... Shit can get put on the line.... So.... Ty for your sources bc ik that i will surly look into a lot of those.... Im just kinda passing on KNOWLEDGE from personal experience.... SOMETIMES.... you dont wanna know the truth. Bc the truth hurts.... A lot.
Indeed. When I first started to research about mafia, I thought they didn't sell dope or they were loyal to each other but after digging quite a bit I've learned they don't even care about omerta. I was schoked when I learned Lucky was big time snitch but apparently they were all some sort of snitch. Some
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Mete wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:11 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:36 pm But most those sources tho have Proven to be in accurate.... U just posted Wikipedia.... We all know that old beef we all had with that.

Sometimes when someone finds out to much.... Shit can get put on the line.... So.... Ty for your sources bc ik that i will surly look into a lot of those.... Im just kinda passing on KNOWLEDGE from personal experience.... SOMETIMES.... you dont wanna know the truth. Bc the truth hurts.... A lot.
Indeed. When I first started to research about mafia, I thought they didn't sell dope or they were loyal to each other but after digging quite a bit I've learned they don't even care about omerta. I was schoked when I learned Lucky was big time snitch but apparently they were all some sort of snitch. Some
Who did Luciano denounce?
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

aleksandrored wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:38 am

He snitched on some jewish kids when he was 20-25 years old.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Mete wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:17 am

I didn't know about that, thanks for the information, I only knew about the complaint he made about where the drugs were.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

aleksandrored wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:27 am

I didn't know about that, thanks for the information, I only knew about the complaint he made about where the drugs were.
Your welcome, glad to help. If you have time, can you tell me more about the complaint he made? We'll be even :)
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Mete wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:42 am

Your welcome, glad to help. If you have time, can you tell me more about the complaint he made? We'll be even :)
I don't remember much about the details, but he was caught doing drug trafficking in 1923, and told the agents where he had a narcotics deposit, and after that cooperation they dropped the accusation, if I'm not mistaken the deposit was of a mobster, he wasn't accused too.
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

aleksandrored wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am
Mete wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:42 am

I don't remember much about the details, but he was caught doing drug trafficking in 1923, and told the agents where he had a narcotics deposit, and after that cooperation they dropped the accusation, if I'm not mistaken the deposit was of a mobster, he wasn't accused too.
Thanks. I never heard that incident before.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Access to all papers on Newspapers.‌com is free from now until Monday, February 15, 2021, 11:59 pm Mountain Time.

If you don’t have a free account, you’ll have to sign up for one to be able to clip and save newspaper items.

I’m not sure whether the link below will work for you, but give it a try.

https://go.newspapers.com/freeaccess?xi ... =fa-feb-21
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Is there any online archive for the newspaper Long Island Newsday?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

thekiduknow wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:57 pm Is there any online archive for the newspaper Long Island Newsday?
Proquest Historical Newspapers, which is available at many university libraries. Not every library includes Newsday, so you have to check. Plus, it might not be accessible at this time due to covid restrictions, so usually it requires in-person access. Before covid, I accessed Newsday at the USC library in Los Angeles.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:57 pm Is there any online archive for the newspaper Long Island Newsday?
Proquest Historical Newspapers, which is available at many university libraries. Not every library includes Newsday, so you have to check. Plus, it might not be accessible at this time due to covid restrictions, so usually it requires in-person access. Before covid, I accessed Newsday at the USC library in Los Angeles.
Thanks for the tip, I live in LA too so I’ll see if USC is open, fingers crossed!
nash143
Straightened out

Post by nash143 »

Hopefully someone can help out with this...when looking at 'FBI RIDs Dead Lists', what does it mean when a name is labelled with LCN? I ask this as several 'well known' members are labelled with just 'LCN', whilst some are given a rank, and others that have the label of 'LCN' are clearly not members.

Is it that the label of 'LCN' simply means they are at least associated with LCN?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

nash143 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:55 pm Hopefully someone can help out with this...when looking at 'FBI RIDs Dead Lists', what does it mean when a name is labelled with LCN? I ask this as several 'well known' members are labelled with just 'LCN', whilst some are given a rank, and others that have the label of 'LCN' are clearly not members.

Is it that the label of 'LCN' simply means they are at least associated with LCN?
Yeah, it is just contextualizing them as LCN-connected. Includes members, associates, and even relatives not known to be directly involved in Cosa Nostra.