Researching the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Researching the Mafia

Post by chin_gigante »

Tasker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:06 am What types of court records are publicly available online? Are actual court transcripts accessible?

I saw a post one time describing what a mob defendant said in their sentencing hearing (federal trial). It wasn’t something you’d find on google, and I doubt they attended in person. I’ve always wondered where someone would find that type of detailed info. Is that was PACER is for?
A lot of court documents and transcripts get put up on PACER, where you can access them for a fee per page (there's also a charge for searching PACER). Not everything is available there though, especially for cases before the mid-2000s.

For documents and transcripts that aren't on PACER, you can request them from the courts themselves, but it's much more expensive to do so.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Tasker
Associate

Post by Tasker »

chin_gigante wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:10 am
Tasker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:06 am What types of court records are publicly available online? Are actual court transcripts accessible?

I saw a post one time describing what a mob defendant said in their sentencing hearing (federal trial). It wasn’t something you’d find on google, and I doubt they attended in person. I’ve always wondered where someone would find that type of detailed info. Is that was PACER is for?
A lot of court documents and transcripts get put up on PACER, where you can access them for a fee per page (there's also a charge for searching PACER). Not everything is available there though, especially for cases before the mid-2000s.

For documents and transcripts that aren't on PACER, you can request them from the courts themselves, but it's much more expensive to do so.
Thanks for the info.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

If bonanno refused to go to the commission because 2 members were the messengers instead of three, what other instances known instances are there of that happening. I’ve never read or heard of that rule.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

OmarSantista wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:46 pm If bonanno refused to go to the commission because 2 members were the messengers instead of three, what other instances known instances are there of that happening. I’ve never read or heard of that rule.
You might want to post your question in a different thread. This one focuses on resources for doing research.
OmarSantista
Straightened out

Post by OmarSantista »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:32 pm
OmarSantista wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:46 pm If bonanno refused to go to the commission because 2 members were the messengers instead of three, what other instances known instances are there of that happening. I’ve never read or heard of that rule.
You might want to post your question in a different thread. This one focuses on resources for doing research.
Ah, got it