The love affair with Joey Merlino

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Teflon john
Straightened out

Re: The love affair with Joey Merlino

Post by Teflon john »

You guys may be right and you made some good points. Im no expert on Philly at all,i never even started trying to learn about Philly until about a year ago. I think the Falcone murder is the first Scarfo murder i read or heard about and if you can believe the details that were told,it doesn't make Scarfo look like a sane and level headed guy. I still say he went to far with violence but some say that fear is the only way of keeping people in line and making them kick up what they are supposed too. Maybe Scarfo was just more greedy than the previous bosses, i mean shaking down drug dealers was unheard of at the time,or maybe the other families never admitted it. Whatever the case may be,didn't mean to sound like i was starting an argument or offend anyone. Keep the chatter going everyone,dont like it when the conversation languishes.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

My word usage in describing Sal Testa as a homicidal maniac is completely wrong and I shouldn't have said it that way. My point was that Sal Testa was a killer, most likely a feared seasoned killer and that played a role in himself getting killed.

We don't know how long it took others talking in Scarfo's ear that the kid had to go. I assume it wasn't an overnight decision though. When you think about it, he relied on the word of those closest to him, he trusted them over the kid. When you read about Scarfo one can clearly see he was a stickler for LCN rules, the guy seemed to be a throw back to the roaring 20's or something. He was the boss of a dysfunctional family that he tried to reign in and when those guys tried to buck the system he had to make a decision, many decisions. When Riccobene basically said fuck off I'm not paying regularly what was Scarfo supposed to do as boss? As boss he did exactly what any other LCN boss would have done.

The part I don't understand is how some of these guys refused knowing what Scarfo and Company were capable of? Why refuse? Play the game and move on.

Now Casso, that's a different story.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teflon john
Straightened out

Post by Teflon john »

Thanks Chicago,i appreciate the hospitality. I hope you are not saying i sound like a cop though,ha ha. Yeah i have always just followed the New York families until the last year or so but when the stuff with Uncle Joe in Philly started happening it caught my interest and i started doing alot of reading on Philly. I have always been more interested in the low key bosses and Scarfo was anything but low key. Maybe not to the extent of Gotti or even Merlino but he made his presence known. Carlo Gambino has always been the most interesting to me but he was such a good boss that i dont know if anyone was ever close enough to him or knows enough about him to write a good in depth book about him as boss,if they did im sure they would have already by now. The Philly family is interesting though because of Scarfo,Merlino and now Joe Ligambi. Uncle Joe has definately brought alot of stability to the current family. I dont understand why everyone is so down on Merlino all the time,yeah he might have been reckless and wild but he took his prison sentence like a man and didnt flip and for a guy to do that now when he could have probably received time served for ratting is unheard of. If more guys kept there mouth shut then maybe LCN wouldn't be in the state that it's in.
Italianheritage
Straightened out

Post by Italianheritage »

People like Joey because they think he's "one of them" when in reality he's a bottom feeder who wouldn't help or piss on anyone if they were on fire.

Types like him wind up in prison for the rest of their lives, and it's only a matter of time before Joey winds up somewhere for the rest of his life.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Chicago wrote:Well, you can say whatever you want about Joey Merlino, but the guy did 12 YEARS in Prison and kept his mouth shut.
You wouldn't last 2 days in prison.
Not that long!
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

FriendofHenry wrote:
Chicago wrote:Well, you can say whatever you want about Joey Merlino, but the guy did 12 YEARS in Prison and kept his mouth shut.
Not that long!
I actually think he'd last awhile. After growing his hair out, applying eyeliner and lipstick and shaving his legs he'll make all kinds of new friends. Not that he'll meet them formally because he'll be the facing the other way.
Italianheritage
Straightened out

Post by Italianheritage »

Chris Christie wrote:
FriendofHenry wrote:
Not that long!
I actually think he'd last awhile. After growing his hair out, applying eyeliner and lipstick and shaving his legs he'll make all kinds of new friends. Not that he'll meet them formally because he'll be the facing the other way.
You're describing perfectly what Joey Merlino did in prison. :lol:
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Italianheritage wrote: You're describing perfectly what Joey Merlino did in prison. :lol:
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Fellas, don't even give Italian Haritage the time of day, he feeds off that.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Joey Merlino and John Gotti. Both flashy, tough guys. Entertaining to watch. But neither of them remotely qualified to run their respective crime families.
All roads lead to New York.
Sol
Admin

Post by Sol »

Chris Christie wrote:
FriendofHenry wrote:
Not that long!
Lets not ruin a good thread guys.......Soliai
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

This guy / family is interesting to me because even not being from Philly they are extremely easy Prob the easiest family to follow because of all the coverage they get from local media.
Second it amazes me the balls these guys had to start a mob war at such a young age and win.
3rd when they all got taken down and given lengthy sentences the core group of guys all took it on the chin and did there time like men . No1 flipped and those were long sentences for young men with families .

Say what you want but there is no denying these guys are fearless