Major Independent Gambling Organizations (Non-LCN)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Major Independent Gambling Organizations (Non-LCN)

Post by JCB1977 »

Now that we established that Tony Grosso was NOT an associate and operated independently, how big was the Colcurcio gambling organization in Seattle? I know the family had strip clubs, but what other rackets did they get involved in?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Italianheritage
Straightened out

Post by Italianheritage »

JCB1977 wrote:
Lou_Para wrote:I am Italian,born and raised in the Pittsburgh area,and have some knowledge of the local numbers racket from back in the Grosso and Bobby I. days. My father and uncle were,respectively,small and mid-level numbers operators.

Let me continue to beat two dead horses.

1) Tony Grosso did not kick up to "The Mafia" to protect his business.
2) Bobby was never a "made " guy.

Don't get me wrong, lots of money and favors got tossed back and forth among the local boys,but as far as Grosso having anyone above him who took a piece of his business,it just wasn't so.
Of course, I don't claim to be the ultimate authority on this subject,but if anyone can produce any evidence or documentation to the contrary,I would love to see it.

Hey Lou,

I agree 100% and it has been confirmed at both of his trials as well as the trial of Joe Sica back in 1975. I don't argue with Italian Haritage, there is no point if you catch my drift.

EVERYBODY from the Pittsburgh/Youngstown/Cleveland area knows that TG was independent of LCN and that was approved by Amato/LaRocca as long as TG shared the political clout that he had. It makes me laugh that people say Bobby I is made...he enjoyed his own operation without the bullshit LCN brings. Anyhow Lou, don't even waste your breath explaining anything to Italian Haritage, not worth your time.
Grosso was a part of the PGH mob. Someone does not need to be made in order to be a part of the mob, or associated with a mob family.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

JCB1977 wrote:Now that we established that Tony Grosso was NOT an associate and operated independently, how big was the Colcurcio gambling organization in Seattle? I know the family had strip clubs, but what other rackets did they get involved in?
Money laundering, local political corruption, prostitution, the FBI tried unsuccessfully to try them with murder.

The Sica brothers in California were also independents like Grosso. There was also a crew of brothers in NJ, some later got made. The Lanzettis of Philadelphia.

For a time, there was a "second" LA crime family. After Fratianno turned informant, Mike Rizzitello was ostracized by LA so was granted sanction by Dellacroce to run his own interests. It was shortlived but it also revealed that Milano didn't use a ceremony. Fiato claims it was as simple as 'You want him in, he's in."