5 Family's Making Ceremonies

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: 5 Family's Making Ceremonies

Post by B. »

Valachi said Gambino member Frank Luciano was sponsored for membership by Jimmy "Marino" LePore who was murdered in 1931. It came up because Albert Anastasia asked Tony Bender who brought Luciano into the Family as he didn't like him and wanted to know how he even became a member.

Pretty interesting as it shows non-Sicilians were inducting other non-Sicilians that early.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Gambinos

2007:
Onofrio "Noel" Modica
Browniety86
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Browniety86 »

JohnnyS wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:47 am Gambinos

2007:
Onofrio "Noel" Modica
Wonder why Modica wasn't made til 2007...didn't he take part in a drive by hit in like '87? IIRC, they used a motorcycle...
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The info about Jack Scalise being sponsored by Nino Conte came from Giacomo Vicari when he first came to the board, before we sniffed him out. I came across the post a while back. Might want to remove that.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks for this B. Unfortunately I can't edit the original post.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Browniety86 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:02 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:47 am Gambinos

2007:
Onofrio "Noel" Modica
Wonder why Modica wasn't made til 2007...didn't he take part in a drive by hit in like '87? IIRC, they used a motorcycle...
Alcohol and drug problems.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Genovese

2016:
Michael Messina
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Gambino member Rudolph 'Rudy' Pipolo was said to have been made 'around the time Frank Scalise was killed' so around mid-late 1957.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

I just wonder how did we find out this guy michael Messina was inducted into the genovese family?
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

In the superseding indictment of Michael Messina (the file is at the bottom of the link) it noted the investigation dated back to 2011 and stated:
At various times relevant to this indictment, MICHAEL MESSINA, the defendant, was an associate of and a Soldier in the Genovese Organized Crime Family.
So based on that we know he was inducted sometime between 2011 and 2022.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/fo ... cketeering

Edit:
I see JohnnyS said he was made in 2016. I don't remember if a specific year was ever determined but I'd trust JohnnyS on it. Maybe he'll answer it for the both of us now.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

OcSleeper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:06 pm In the superseding indictment of Michael Messina (the file is at the bottom of the link) it noted the investigation dated back to 2011 and stated:
At various times relevant to this indictment, MICHAEL MESSINA, the defendant, was an associate of and a Soldier in the Genovese Organized Crime Family.
So based on that we know he was inducted sometime between 2011 and 2022.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/fo ... cketeering

Edit:
I see JohnnyS said he was made in 2016. I don't remember if a specific year was ever determined but I'd trust JohnnyS on it. Maybe he'll answer it for the both of us now.
From GL few months back.
Messina's first gaffe, according to affidavits, came in the Spring of 2016, on the day he met the car service driver who needed cash. After giving the cabby the first of many loans that grew to $150,000, Messina allegedly told him: "You're with a wiseguy now."

His next screw-up came in the spring of 2018 when Messina bragged to his loanshark customer that he was celebrating his anniversary as a made man: "It's my two-year anniversary," Messina said, and made sure the cabby knew what anniversary he was talking about, by pointing to his chest and stating: "It's two years I got my thing, my stripe."
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Oh right he was bragging about it😂 thanks

Post by Guest »

Interesting
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

In Philip Lombardo's FBI File John 'Buster' Ardito is mentioned as being made when he was about 22 years old, which would have been 1941/1942.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

bn wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:45 am In Philip Lombardo's FBI File John 'Buster' Ardito is mentioned as being made when he was about 22 years old, which would have been 1941/1942.
Would this be the earliest reference to the books being open in NYC after they were closed in the early ‘30s?