2004 FBI affidavit NJ Genovese

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

2004 FBI affidavit NJ Genovese

Post by chin_gigante »

The document can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=12488

In July 2004, the FBI filed an affidavit in the District of New Jersey in which it outlined an investigation into the Genovese family. The affidavit was prepared by FBI Special Agent Jason T Brown, who had been assigned to the case in October 1999. The target of the investigation was ‘Larry Dentico, an acting capo and purported consigliere of the Genovese LCN family.’

An informant willing to testify was cooperating witness 1 (CW-1), a Genovese associate who had provided the FBI with information for over 10 years. Most of the information CW-1 provided related to associate Joseph Scarborough, but there were a couple interesting titbits to be found:
In March 2004, CW-1 stated that Joseph Scarborough has a $100,000 loanshark loan that was given to LV4 [loanshark victim 4] in Bloomfield, New Jersey. According to Scarborough, LV4 had stopped making payments on the loan and Scarborough wanted to ‘straighten him out’. Scarborough stated that he can’t right now because of recent law enforcement activities. Scarborough also indicated that he was angry with [Genovese member] Michael Crincoli who vouched for LV4. Crincoli has been setting Scarborough up to look bad in front of Larry Dentico, the consigliere of the Genovese LCN family. Scarborough said the next time Crincoli says anything negative about the way he’s handling the loanshark operation, Scarborough will ‘knock him (Crincoli) on his ass.’
[…]
In May 2004, CW-1 recorded a conversation with Joseph Scarborough. Joseph Scarborough stated that he wants to insure that he receives his monthly gambling tribute, because he has to wants to [sic.] continue to pay Larry Dentico and Ida Manna (Ida Manna is the wife of incarcerated Genovese LCN capo Bobby Manna).
I found the information about Dentico and Manna interesting, especially that Manna’s wife was still receiving money from Genovese operations as recently as 2004.

Regarding Dentico’s position, I’m a little sceptical about him being consigliere. Looking at member sources who were active around that time, Joe Massino testified that Dentico was ‘a captain on the panel’, and Anthony Arillotta has repeatedly described Dentico as being on a three-man panel (consisting of Dentico, Mario Gigante, and Ernie Muscarella, with Artie Nigro later taking Muscarella’s place). Arillotta in particular would be in a position to know considering he was a Genovese member reporting direct to an administration member.

It's also quite interesting that the affidavit identifies Dentico as being an ‘acting capo’ rather than an official captain. Quite a lot of former members of the West Side regime ended up becoming captains by the 1990s/ 2000s, so perhaps this could indicate some of them were only acting.

The affidavit also describes the history of the Genovese family, including the testimony of Vincent Cafaro. However, interestingly, Brown’s characterisation of the testimony slightly but significantly differs from what Cafaro stated before Congress.
Cafaro testified that he was formally inducted into the Genovese LCN family as a so-called ‘made’ member during the mid-1970s. He served for some years as Salerno’s chief lieutenant and appointment secretary. From that vantage point, he knew that Salerno had served as ‘underboss’ of the Genovese LCN family and was boss until he suffered a stroke in early 1981.
Following Salerno’s stroke, Vincent ‘Chin’ Gigante made a power play and became the actual boss of the family, although Salerno remained active as the titular boss, particularly in representing the Genovese LCN family in the commission.
In addition to being boss, Gigante controlled his own regime or ‘crew’ and operated from his headquarters in a social club at 208 Sullivan Street in lower Manhattan.
The above reads to me at least as Cafaro saying that Salerno became the official boss prior to his stroke and continued in that titular position while Gigante was the ‘actual boss’ in the background. This gets us back to the operational/ organisational framework.

It’d be interesting to find out more about what Cafaro exactly told the FBI. His testimony before Congress would indicate that Salerno was not the official boss, but it’s unclear whether Brown was referring to that testimony specifically. Cafaro did testify in federal court against Bobby Manna in the 1980s, so maybe his testimony there conflicted with what he said about the administration elsewhere. Or it could also be simply down to Brown garbling or misconstruing Cafaro’s testimony.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: 2004 FBI affidavit NJ Genovese

Post by chin_gigante »

While thinking of Cafaro's testimony, I'm reminded of something I read recently in a news report about his testimony in Bobby Manna's trial:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.09.25.png

I thought it was interesting that Cafaro would have such a specific date in mind for when Manna became consigliere, so I did some investigating and 30 March 1980 is the exact same day Dom Alongi died.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 16.08.44.png

This could indicate that Manna was lined up in advance to become consigliere immediately upon Alongi's passing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

This seems to be some of the same info that ended up in the 2004 NJ Commission of Investigation report. Dentico was indicted as a captain the following year.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Good connection on Alongi's death. I've mentioned before that Leonetti identified Manna as consigliere during the aftermath of Bruno's murder. That was just nine days prior to Alongi's death. It seems he was already acting in that capacity, or at least representing the admin, then it was made official around the 30th.

Pennisi and I believe another member CW both said there was a perception that the Genovese frequently rotated admin positions. There was general confusion around this going back to Catena and Eboli, with reputable member sources alternately identifying each as the acting boss and this confusion continued for decades. While it looks like Dentico was a captain (official or otherwise) and panel member you never know what kind of temporary arrangements were in place only to change again.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Good stuff. In the Buster Ardito tapes it also gets a mention of people going to see Manna and / or still passing messages to him.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Dentico is still alive, correct?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

sdeitche wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 am Dentico is still alive, correct?
Yes
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Cheech wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 am
sdeitche wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:08 am Dentico is still alive, correct?
Yes
Consig?

Why wouldn't Barney give him the position just for the respect and envelope for his family
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Most respected guy in that family?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

Because hes over 100 and shits in a diaper you fucking jerkoff
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I think it was posted and or reported hes in florida retired
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

A close family friend was the one that told me Dentico is living in Florida with his son.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

There you go