Apalachin Was A Barbecue Salvatore & Joe Falcone

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

MFalconeUticaNY
Prospect

Apalachin Was A Barbecue Salvatore & Joe Falcone

Post by MFalconeUticaNY »

My great-grandfather Salvatore Falcone and his younger brother Joe were at Joseph Barbara's home. I have been interviewing my godfather Dr. Anthony Falcone, Full Bird Colonel (Ret), United States Air Force. He is Joe Falcone's son and he's 90 and exceptional. My father, my godfather along with other relatives have agreed for the first time to discuss things that were once never talked about. It's been a bonding experience and we are enjoying learning new pieces of the puzzle and how it all fits together.

Luckily we have receipts in the way the extraordinary record keeping of Justice Department, of which I hold a tremendous amount of respect and admiration. In 1939, Salvatore Falcone indicted along with nearly 200 others in a illicit still operation. The Falcones sold sugar and yeast. A lot of it.
The evidence merely established that the vendors sold sugar and yeast despite knowing that some of the purchasers intended to use those supplies to make whiskey. On appeal, the appellate court ruled that this was not enough to prove that the vendors were co-conspirators. The government appealed to the United States Supreme Court.

United States V. Falcone (1940) 311 U.S. 205 (1940) is taught in every law school in the country and in every law book. It's high bar that set for proving a conspiracy.

Having been exonerated the Falcone did not want to ever deal with the U.S.Justice Department ever again, but there were ongoing investigations throughout the 40's and 50' and then Apalachin opened it all up. The Falcones traveled for several years afterwards and as a result the could not be served papers to be called in front of the McClellan Hearings. If there wasn't a National Security Investigation opened up on Salvatore for his dealings with Batista and Mussolini, there certainly was one open after the assassination of President Kennedy. They were under surveillance for the rest of their lives. Completely understandable.

The Falcones were different from their "friends". They were educated, urbane, worldly and had some rather solid principles. A man's word should be his bond. An honorable man doesn't need a penalty clause, because he didn't live up to his word. I can't tell you how many times I heard that growing up.
The Falcones were also part of that original 24 original early American families from Italy. These families had an understanding of how to assimilate into America. The first generation settled. The second generation built wealth. The third generation were to be educated, go into the professions, and move forward into society. That was the original plan from Meyer Lansky of how these family would move onward and upward. The Falcones stuck to that plan. I don't know how many other followed it, but the Falcones did.

I am asking this community for your help in any information you may have on Salvatore Falcone and Joseph Falcone. It would be much appreciated.
Oh and Dr. Anthony Falcone and my dad Salvatore Falcone were guests on Joe Barbara's home many times. They have described interior of the home and how absolutely mannered his children were. They were gracious hosts yes Mr. Barbara did not have to raise a finger. The children served the guests and were charming. Anthony told me that his father sad that Apalachin was really a social call in a show of solidarity and support for Mr. Barbara who had just returned from the hospital. The real meeting took place in New York City three days before. I thought that was interesting.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Apalachin Was A Barbecue Salvatore & Joe Falcone

Post by B. »

Welcome! We appreciate you joining us. Very interesting you are learning direct from Joe's son Anthony.

Here is a thread I made years ago with a ton of info on the Falcones and Utica: viewtopic.php?t=3676#p82768

I'd be very interested in hearing what you or Anthony might know about Dominick Aiello and Pietro Lima. Aiello's daughter married Salvatore Falcone's son Anthony. I'm sure you're aware that both Aiello and Lima were important mafiosi killed in the 1930s but any stories or details about them would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing if Anthony ever heard anything about Utica being its own Family before becoming part of the Buffalo Family. Not sure how much organizational stuff like that was known to him but any of the history he heard would be great.

You might also be interested in your great-grandfather's cousin Joe Sabella. He was a made member of their crew who lived in NYC. There were strong ties between your relatives and the Gambino Family.

Feel free to browse the thread I linked and let me know if you have any questions of your own.
Cosmik_Debris
Associate

Post by Cosmik_Debris »

Good stuff.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Hey at least this aint about the Peppermint Club…
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny