1971 Trunk Murder of Lombard, Illinois Man

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

1971 Trunk Murder of Lombard, Illinois Man

Post by cavita »

Anyone have info on who Henry Rufo was or why he was murdered? Rufo was a 41 year old Lombard, Illinois man who was found in Freeport, Illinois in the trunk of a car. The car was stolen from Melrose Park in August 1971 and it was found in front of the O'Hareport Hotel, 400 E. Lake St., Northlake, Illinois in December 1971. The car was towed to Freeport, Illinois where the insurance company's office was located and that's when the body was found. Rufo's wife had reported him missing from Lombard on December 6, 1971. He had been stabbed in the heart, beaten, and a rope wrapped around his neck.
Snakes
Full Patched

Re: 1971 Trunk Murder of Lombard, Illinois Man

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 pm Anyone have info on who Henry Rufo was or why he was murdered? Rufo was a 41 year old Lombard, Illinois man who was found in Freeport, Illinois in the trunk of a car. The car was stolen from Melrose Park in August 1971 and it was found in front of the O'Hareport Hotel, 400 E. Lake St., Northlake, Illinois in December 1971. The car was towed to Freeport, Illinois where the insurance company's office was located and that's when the body was found. Rufo's wife had reported him missing from Lombard on December 6, 1971. He had been stabbed in the heart, beaten, and a rope wrapped around his neck.
Okay, I did some digging and found some stuff on Gangsterbb, so take this with a major grain of salt, as I am not familiar with the source poster (username is "realnoname"). He said Rufo's real name was Henry Lakey and he was involved with Rocco Pranno. Allegedly, his wife told authorities that Rufo/Lakey was meeting with Al Tornabene to discuss opening a pizza parlor around the time of his disappearance. Also, according to this guy, Lakey was an FBI informant.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Snakes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:53 pm
cavita wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:21 pm Anyone have info on who Henry Rufo was or why he was murdered? Rufo was a 41 year old Lombard, Illinois man who was found in Freeport, Illinois in the trunk of a car. The car was stolen from Melrose Park in August 1971 and it was found in front of the O'Hareport Hotel, 400 E. Lake St., Northlake, Illinois in December 1971. The car was towed to Freeport, Illinois where the insurance company's office was located and that's when the body was found. Rufo's wife had reported him missing from Lombard on December 6, 1971. He had been stabbed in the heart, beaten, and a rope wrapped around his neck.
Okay, I did some digging and found some stuff on Gangsterbb, so take this with a major grain of salt, as I am not familiar with the source poster (username is "realnoname"). He said Rufo's real name was Henry Lakey and he was involved with Rocco Pranno. Allegedly, his wife told authorities that Rufo/Lakey was meeting with Al Tornabene to discuss opening a pizza parlor around the time of his disappearance. Also, according to this guy, Lakey was an FBI informant.
Interesting.... I've heard the name Lakey but not the Tornabene connection.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

There was a "Henry Lakey" who also went by "Henry La-Key" and he testified in the 1967 trial involving Battaglia, Amabile, et. al. He was seemingly used by the Outfit as a front man for some of their dealings. I have yet to find anything to tie him to Tornabene or this "Henry Rufo," though.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:56 pm
Okay, Rufo=Lakey, confirmed by Inserra's book: https://www.google.com/books/edition/C_ ... frontcover. Another blog post: http://wickerblather.blogspot.com/2010/ ... n-and.html

Still nothing on Tornabene, though.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Snakes wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:00 pm
cavita wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:56 pm
Okay, Rufo=Lakey, confirmed by Inserra's book: https://www.google.com/books/edition/C_ ... frontcover. Another blog post: http://wickerblather.blogspot.com/2010/ ... n-and.html

Still nothing on Tornabene, though.
I seem to remember reading about a wild car chase involving Lakey and Albert Tocco? for some reason. I wish I could remember the particluars. I'll see if I can do some digging.