Gangland February 1sr 2024

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

newera_212
Full Patched

Re: Gangland February 1sr 2024

Post by newera_212 »

CornerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:58 am did the junior paganos, the one thats in his or their mid 70s, grow up upstate or in the city?

I know the father had a presence in the counties north of westchester
I thought the father was originally an East Harlem guy way back when...but I could be wrong. The currently active (but still old) Pagano, any time I've seen his name it's been right next to a mention of Rockland or Orange county - somewhere up that way. Wouldn't be surprised if he grew up there or has been up there since a young age, with family / connections to East Harlem and all over the Bronx like most people who ended up moving north. Personally if I were going to go that route myself I'd prefer to live in Westchester county or say fuck it and go way upstate for real. I don't know anything in Rockland or Orange except for where that area the Hasidics live is - I'm sure there are nice places to be but it doesn't feel like there is much there
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

newera_212 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm
CornerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:58 am did the junior paganos, the one thats in his or their mid 70s, grow up upstate or in the city?

I know the father had a presence in the counties north of westchester
I thought the father was originally an East Harlem guy way back when...but I could be wrong. The currently active (but still old) Pagano, any time I've seen his name it's been right next to a mention of Rockland or Orange county - somewhere up that way. Wouldn't be surprised if he grew up there or has been up there since a young age, with family / connections to East Harlem and all over the Bronx like most people who ended up moving north. Personally if I were going to go that route myself I'd prefer to live in Westchester county or say fuck it and go way upstate for real. I don't know anything in Rockland or Orange except for where that area the Hasidics live is - I'm sure there are nice places to be but it doesn't feel like there is much there
When Danny Pagano was born in ‘53, I believe they were living in East Harlem, on 123 by 2nd Ave. Joe Pagano did a bid in 1955 and I believe got out in the early 60s. Sometime after this the Paganos moved to Rockland County, as Danny was living in Spring Valley when he got pinched in 1973 on dope charges. Joe Pagano was living in neighboring Monseynwhen he died in the 80s, which happens to be the epicenter of the Hasidic colony in Rockland.

Rockland used to be cheaper than Westchester, though in recent decades the prices have gone up such that it’s just as pricey. Rockland is close to Jersey, though, which for some people matters; you also have the Tappan Zee as a quick shot over the river. Orange County remains both cheaper and more rural than much of Westchester, some people like the more spread out lifestyle. I know a bunch of people from the Bx who have moved to Orange County for these reasons, as well as up to Dutchess and Putnam.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 pm
When Danny Pagano was born in ‘53, I believe they were living in East Harlem, on 123 by 2nd Ave. Joe Pagano did a bid in 1955 and I believe got out in the early 60s. Sometime after this the Paganos moved to Rockland County, as Danny was living in Spring Valley when he got pinched in 1973 on dope charges. Joe Pagano was living in neighboring Monseynwhen he died in the 80s, which happens to be the epicenter of the Hasidic colony in Rockland.

Rockland used to be cheaper than Westchester, though in recent decades the prices have gone up such that it’s just as pricey. Rockland is close to Jersey, though, which for some people matters; you also have the Tappan Zee as a quick shot over the river. Orange County remains both cheaper and more rural than much of Westchester, some people like the more spread out lifestyle. I know a bunch of people from the Bx who have moved to Orange County for these reasons, as well as up to Dutchess and Putnam.
Good stuff - thanks for the info. It's crazy that some of the LCN linked (I guess just general Italian linked, lol) places and even full blocks in East Harlem haven't just changed, but completely disappeared. If the Paganos were on 123rd near 2nd, I'd imagine wherever they lived may have been cleared to make way for Taino Towers. I think those went up in the 70s maybe? Then, the block of 107th where the "107th Street Gang" or whatever it was called originated - future Lucchese guys - pretty sure that specific block doesn't even exist with whatever NYCHA is there.

I know East Harlem pretty well, at least from 116th and up - but I can't even imagine what it must have looked like before all of the NYCHA developments went up. That must have been a crazy time to have lived there, during that transformation. IIRC either East Harlem or the LES has the highest concentration of public housing out of anywhere in the U.S. Theres some good info in books about what it was like around the turn of the century, but I'm curious what it was really like later on when it got more diverse, crowded, and public housing took over. The poster Jiggs used to have some good random anecdotes about East Harlem from kinda around that time. Without a doubt it's at the top of the list when it comes to most interesting neighborhood history for anywhere in NYC
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

i was always under the impression that the real junk action took place further south than 115th street.

Wasn't like 100th and 3rd or Lex area full of H?

I think I remember reading that.

Obviously up on Pleasant was a huge epicenter for dope.

I'd be interested in knowing of activity below 97th street if anyone knows anything, it'd be greatly appreciated.

PolackTony will know i bet.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!