NYC Bust

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

OcSleeper
Full Patched

Re: NYC Bust

Post by OcSleeper »

felice wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:07 am I haven't got the investigation papers yet. Anyway GiovanBattista Badalamenti was already under my radar. He was involved in narcotics trafficking in the Usa already in the 80s. He has also got another brother in the Usa, Salvatore
Is he the Gambino member or someone else?
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

He is not made with the Gambino's due to his Torretta family member status. His father was brother of the mother of Giuseppe Gambino killed in Astoria in 1988. To revenge his murder the Gambinos killed Francesco Oliveri.
Giuseppe Gambino was a Gambino family member
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

All the Gambino busts of late have been big money making crews. Campos, Camuso, Lanni. Surely Filipelli is next, who do we think are other top earning crews, Corozzo. DiMaria, Marino?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Since Vito Rappa is married to Francesco Nania's sister, I'm curious what relation if any Nania has to the brothers Antonino and Filippo Nania. Antonino was Partinico boss and Filippo was underboss. Filippo killed himself a few years ago due to old age and sickness. Since Vito's father is boss of Borgetto it would fit for his son to marry into the leadership of the adjoining Family.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:53 am Why would Castellano meet the Partanico boss in the 70s and tell him his guys need to be on record if they were already?
Felice is the one who originally shared that info and he might have seen more but I've read Naimo's deposition where he discusses it and Castellano didn't meet with Antonino Geraci (Partinico boss) about Geraci's "guys" (as in the Partinicesi alone) but about Sicilian members in general operating in NYC. This was the 1970s after a huge wave of mafiosi had come here and Castellano both wanted to bolster his own faction with Sicilians and also didn't want the Sicilians to be operating independently of the NYC Families so they came to an agreement where each NYC Family could quietly bring ten Sicilians members in (i.e. transfer their membership). This is no doubt how the Inzerillo brothers, Antonino Napoli, and others joined the Gambinos. Calogero Ganci of Noce said he knew that Filippo Casamento once transferred to an American Family so he was probably part of this as well.

I would guess some of these guys were already associated with the Families they joined since strong relationships already existed but the meeting between Castellano and Geraci allowed the NYC Families to formalize the relationship further by allowing select Sicilians to join US-based groups. Transfers had already occurred for decades but in this specific instance it looks like the number of Sicilians who were operating in NYC by the 1970s required a formal discussion and Naimo specifically said Castellano had his own self-interest in mind as it would give him more strength. Geraci was on the Sicilian Commission at the time and would have represented the Sicilian mafia as a whole, not just Partinico. Based on what Naimo said, the Corleonesi apparently supported the decision but didn't allow Naimo to transfer as Toto Riina still wanted him to represent the Sicilian mafia in the US.

The Gambino Family easily transferred ten Sicilians around that time and probably the Bonannos too, with the Luccheses probably bringing in a few. I doubt the Colombos brought any in and it seems unlikely the Genovese did either.

There was a 1960s NYC informant who said when the books were closed around 1957 that transfers from Sicily were also stopped. Since they had opened the books for new inductions it might not be a coincidence that they opened the books for transfers as well since either way it was bringing new members into the NYC Families.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:45 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:53 am Why would Castellano meet the Partanico boss in the 70s and tell him his guys need to be on record if they were already?
Felice is the one who originally shared that info and he might have seen more but I've read Naimo's deposition where he discusses it and Castellano didn't meet with Antonino Geraci (Partinico boss) about Geraci's "guys" (as in the Partinicesi alone) but about Sicilian members in general operating in NYC. This was the 1970s after a huge wave of mafiosi had come here and Castellano both wanted to bolster his own faction with Sicilians and also didn't want the Sicilians to be operating independently of the NYC Families so they came to an agreement where each NYC Family could quietly bring ten Sicilians members in (i.e. transfer their membership). This is no doubt how the Inzerillo brothers, Antonino Napoli, and others joined the Gambinos. Calogero Ganci of Noce said he knew that Filippo Casamento once transferred to an American Family so he was probably part of this as well.

I would guess some of these guys were already associated with the Families they joined since strong relationships already existed but the meeting between Castellano and Geraci allowed the NYC Families to formalize the relationship further by allowing select Sicilians to join US-based groups. Transfers had already occurred for decades but in this specific instance it looks like the number of Sicilians who were operating in NYC by the 1970s required a formal discussion and Naimo specifically said Castellano had his own self-interest in mind as it would give him more strength. Geraci was on the Sicilian Commission at the time and would have represented the Sicilian mafia as a whole, not just Partinico. Based on what Naimo said, the Corleonesi apparently supported the decision but didn't allow Naimo to transfer as Toto Riina still wanted him to represent the Sicilian mafia in the US.

The Gambino Family easily transferred ten Sicilians around that time and probably the Bonannos too, with the Luccheses probably bringing in a few. I doubt the Colombos brought any in and it seems unlikely the Genovese did either.

There was a 1960s NYC informant who said when the books were closed around 1957 that transfers from Sicily were also stopped. Since they had opened the books for new inductions it might not be a coincidence that they opened the books for transfers as well since either way it was bringing new members into the NYC Families.
You remember this stuff from the failed attempt...
(Did it fail?) at a reorganization/consolidation of San Guiseppe Jato and Partanico madamenti?

Sicily, blow to the new super district
8 April 2013 - 18:06
Anti-mafia blitz in Sicily. In the sights of the carabinieri the "new district of Camporeale", born from the union of the gangs of San Giuseppe Jato and Partinico. The mayor of Montelepre is in handcuffs

A very hard blow to Cosa Nostra. The new mafia "super district" created in Camporeale, in the west of Palermo, was literally disrupted (dozens of arrests) by a blitz by the carabinieri led by Colonel Piero Iannotti. The super-mandate was looking for a side with the Mafia families of New York to consolidate its hegemony on the Cosa Nostra. This is what emerges from the investigations of the Palermo Anti-Mafia District Directorate

I kinda stumbled backwards into this because of a recent article on Domenico Raccuglia, and how he pissed off Denaro by hiding in Trapani without telling him. Raccuglia, I guess was the brainchild of this reorganization effort.

It seems Borgetto is the point of reference for that Madamento at the moment.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:30 am Since Vito Rappa is married to Francesco Nania's sister, I'm curious what relation if any Nania has to the brothers Antonino and Filippo Nania. Antonino was Partinico boss and Filippo was underboss. Filippo killed himself a few years ago due to old age and sickness. Since Vito's father is boss of Borgetto it would fit for his son to marry into the leadership of the adjoining Family.
Francesco Nania is Antonino Nania’s son.

Sicilian media outlets also referred to Francesco Nania as a “capomafia” when he was pinched in 2008 here. I’ve seen it more than once, but I’m not sure of the precise boss succession in recent decades in Partinico so I’m not sure if he actually was boss and then apparently succeeded by his father? Was he acting for his father, and on top of this from the US, as the former had been busted again on weapons charges in 2007?
Last edited by PolackTony on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thank you.

The relationship between Borgetto and Partinico is much like the relationship between San Cipirello and San Giuseppe Jato where the former Families are little more than a small neighborhood tacked onto the larger comune yet have always had their own distinct Family, probably because the mafia infrastructure in these sets of villages is so deep that it can allow it whereas we know similar twin comuni in other areas have formed one Family. Despite organizational distinction they work closely together, intermarry, and operate symbiotically and that goes back a hundred years at least. It's obviously significant that the children of modern Partinico and Borgetto bosses married.

Borgetto/Partinico are also very close to San Cipirello/San Giuseppe both geographically and in terms of relationships. In the 1920s, Mori's squad identified Partinico and Borgetto as essentially a regional hit team who carried out murders for other Families in the area, especially San Giuseppe Jato and San Cipirello. It reminds me of the Corleonesi later on. The number of mafia-suspected murders in Partinico and Borgetto themselves during that era were overwhelming for its size too and comparable to what we see during mafia wars.
Gustazul
Honorary Member

Post by Gustazul »

Sal DiLorenzo
47410CD7-EF8B-4636-A3D6-63873BE3F2F9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We don't break our Captain's, we kill em" - Vincent "Chin" Gigante.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

JohnnyS wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:33 am Here's another article. They are saying that Badalamenti was arrested in Palermo. https://www.palermotoday.it/cronaca/maf ... -york.html
Apparently Giovan Battista Badalamenti was not arrested, he is still wanted. They don't even know if he is in US or Italy.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

B. wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:44 am Thank you.

The relationship between Borgetto and Partinico is much like the relationship between San Cipirello and San Giuseppe Jato where the former Families are little more than a small neighborhood tacked onto the larger comune yet have always had their own distinct Family, probably because the mafia infrastructure in these sets of villages is so deep that it can allow it whereas we know similar twin comuni in other areas have formed one Family. Despite organizational distinction they work closely together, intermarry, and operate symbiotically and that goes back a hundred years at least. It's obviously significant that the children of modern Partinico and Borgetto bosses married.

Borgetto/Partinico are also very close to San Cipirello/San Giuseppe both geographically and in terms of relationships. In the 1920s, Mori's squad identified Partinico and Borgetto as essentially a regional hit team who carried out murders for other Families in the area, especially San Giuseppe Jato and San Cipirello. It reminds me of the Corleonesi later on. The number of mafia-suspected murders in Partinico and Borgetto themselves during that era were overwhelming for its size too and comparable to what we see during mafia wars.
Partinico and Borgetto families are part of the same "mandamento" as San Giuseppe Jato and San Cipirello ones
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

Also interesting to note that while not named in the indictment/detention memo, Sal DiLorenzo is also a fund trustee for LIUNA Local 78.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

scagghiuni wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 pmPartinico and Borgetto families are part of the same "mandamento" as San Giuseppe Jato and San Cipirello ones
Partinico and San Giuseppe Jato are two different "mandamentos".

Partinico mandamento: Balestrate, Borgetto, Giardinello, Montelepre, Partinico and Trappeto families.

San Giuseppe Jato mandamento: Monreale, Camporeale, Altofonte, San Cipirelo, San Giuseppe Jato, Santa Cristina Gela and Piana Degli Albanesi families.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Interesting secretary treasurer is incharge of of the local members monthly funds and what there spent on. My place each member pays 41 bucks a month for there local by check cash or money order. A 1.50 a hour goes to the national. Guy must be trusted in that position. Also means he's a labor union book holder. So he actually has to work for a company
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: Great article, and great on-going thread. However......................

Am I the only one who is curious/confused with these three sentences in the Daily Mail article:

"The lengthy documents contain evidence that shows when the men were 'made' into the Gambino family. One image shows Tantillo being inducted into the family on October 17, 2019, standing with Gradilone (pictured). Both men were arrested on Wednesday."

IIRC, this was a caption under a picture of 2 men standing on a sidewalk, one facing the camera, and one with his back to the camera. What is confusing me is the use of the word "image" in the aforementioned sentence. Is the writer of the article stating that the aforementioned "documents" states that Tantillo is being inducted at that moment, outside, and the moment has been captured by that "image"? Is it another verbal induction ceremony?
Also, IIRC, that same language is used somewhere else in this thread in another newspaper article on this topic.

Am I reading too much into the caption of the picture, or is this actually an "image"/picture taken of an on-going verbal induction ceremony?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli