NYC Bust

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: NYC Bust

Post by CabriniGreen »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:21 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:49 amGood point. But one has to ask about the viability of that type of extortion in 2023.
I mean hell, they might be better off doing it anonymous like the Black Hand if they are just going to run into the Feds. For FOUR grand...
Keep in mind that that extortion of $4k is just an example of that which made it into the indictment. When these guys are engaging in their bread and butter rackets, which include extortion in the construction, demolition and trucking industries, not every extortion (or the money involved) is going to end up in an eventual indictment. We also have to remember that, if they wanted to do business on the up and up and not resort to thuggish tactics when necessary, they probably wouldn't be in the mob to begin with.
You make a good point. I gotta read through this thing. I was thinking they extorted some wealthy restaurateur or Maybe a small retailer.

Construction and Carting people might just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. But I think thats where
something like extortion is more effective. When the business owner doesn't really complain, they just jack up their prices on whatever....
Massive-Sail
Straightened out

Post by Massive-Sail »

Local 3 is also a successor of LIUNA Local 394 who was controlled By DeCavs
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:34 am A Sicilian Mafia member but also an associate? I wonder what’s going on with that? He’s a member over in Italy but he’s an associate here? Is he trying to become a made guy with the Gambino’s? I know the Gambino’s have Sicilian ties but I haven’t heard of something like this before
This was a major running issue in the Sixth Family book.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 pm Partinico has been in NYC since the turn of the 20th century.

What exactly do you mean here? Three Fingers and all that? The network with the Detroit people like the Vitales?

Why would Castellano meet the Partanico boss in the 70s and tell him his guys need to be on record if they were already?
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Reading about the money involved in this indictment surprises me but then again, as Jerry said, the demise of the mob has been greatly exaggerated.

Pennisi mentioned that members being drunk and behaving foolishly can lead to them being shelved so it seems as if Lanni is in trouble. The associate had to literally stop him from burning the place down...
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

One other interesting thing about this case are the references to shell companies controlled by these guys, Lanni and LaForte, and way LaForte kicked up money to Lanni from the Par scams through shadow using the shells/LLCs and chalking the payments up to loans/consulting. That Frank Camuso case alleged similar stuff, Camuso, Astuto and Baselice all had similar companies.

The reporting from feds on Mileta M., and Mannino, Filipelli, said that Mileta was sending money to Gambinos the same way, shell companies/LLCs … this must be very common now for a lot of these guys. Makes the money appear legitimate and put it on govt to prove otherwise
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

TSNYC wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:18 am One other interesting thing about this case are the references to shell companies controlled by these guys, Lanni and LaForte, and way LaForte kicked up money to Lanni from the Par scams through shadow using the shells/LLCs and chalking the payments up to loans/consulting. That Frank Camuso case alleged similar stuff, Camuso, Astuto and Baselice all had similar companies.

The reporting from feds on Mileta M., and Mannino, Filipelli, said that Mileta was sending money to Gambinos the same way, shell companies/LLCs … this must be very common now for a lot of these guys. Makes the money appear legitimate and put it on govt to prove otherwise

You got it exactly. Been that way for some time now.
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:39 am Reading about the money involved in this indictment surprises me but then again, as Jerry said, the demise of the mob has been greatly exaggerated.
The $3.9 million dollars in discount thing really stuck out at me -- not only is that a huge amount of money, it's really subtle in that it's in the form of discounts on services. No one is going to notice that the way they'd notice a $3.9 million armored truck robbery.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Ivan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:39 am Reading about the money involved in this indictment surprises me but then again, as Jerry said, the demise of the mob has been greatly exaggerated.
The $3.9 million dollars in discount thing really stuck out at me -- not only is that a huge amount of money, it's really subtle in that it's in the form of discounts on services. No one is going to notice that the way they'd notice a $3.9 million armored truck robbery.
The way of transferring money through shell companies also stands out.Lanni seems to have been receiving vast amounts of money.This is the first indictment we have received since Villani’s gambling bust which was over a year ago.The other 2 indictments before this were also gambling busts if I remember correctly.
Nice to see a larger case, I’ve been waiting
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Here is the axis between the Sicilian clans and the Gambinos again: 17 arrested between Palermo and New York. Messina Denaro also appears in the interceptions
https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2023/1 ... o/7347026/
Last August, Giovan Battista Badalamenti revealed about his brother Martino to John Jack D'Amico , regent of the Gambino family until 2008: "No, in the evening he even goes to sleep inside ", updating D'Amico on his brother's state of imprisonment .
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

OcSleeper wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 am Here is the axis between the Sicilian clans and the Gambinos again: 17 arrested between Palermo and New York. Messina Denaro also appears in the interceptions
https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2023/1 ... o/7347026/
Last August, Giovan Battista Badalamenti revealed about his brother Martino to John Jack D'Amico , regent of the Gambino family until 2008: "No, in the evening he even goes to sleep inside ", updating D'Amico on his brother's state of imprisonment .
Thanks for sharing. Looks like D'Amico is still active in his mid 80s and still tight with the Sicilian faction.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Here's another article. They are saying that Badalamenti was arrested in Palermo. https://www.palermotoday.it/cronaca/maf ... -york.html
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:45 am
Ivan wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 am
The way of transferring money through shell companies also stands out.Lanni seems to have been receiving vast amounts of money.This is the first indictment we have received since Villani’s gambling bust which was over a year ago.The other 2 indictments before this were also gambling busts if I remember correctly.
Nice to see a larger case, I’ve been waiting
Yeah, also the discounts as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't even count as income so there's no tax issues and "nothing to hide". Pretty slick.

These are the three big things that stand out to me:

1) The large amounts of money and the financial sophistication
2) The violence
3) The youth of almost everyone involved (30s to 50s, these guys are practically just kids by 21st century American mafia standards)

This was a serious operation. Or so it looks to me, at least. Of course Lanni's retard explosion at the restaurant kind of ruins the effect. :lol:
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
felice
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by felice »

I haven't got the investigation papers yet. Anyway GiovanBattista Badalamenti was already under my radar. He was involved in narcotics trafficking in the Usa already in the 80s. He has also got another brother in the Usa, Salvatore