Podcast on Manfredi Mineo from B

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

blackhander
Associate

Re: Podcast on Manfredi Mineo from B

Post by blackhander »

Informant Clemente told the Secret Service that the printing plates that were to be used by Cordaro had arrived from Palermo shortly before the 12th May, 1911. He also said one of the men in the party that bought the plates over was named "Matteo Erico".

We know that Mineo arrived in the US with a party including Matteo Arrigo on 9th May, and was later seen visiting Cordaro's house.

Cordaro's printer, McFate, was a planted by the Secret Service prior to all this. So Mineo was basically sailing right into a Secret Service sting operation.

Great podcast BTW!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Very interesting, thank you! So Mineo's travel party had counterfeit printing plates with them.
blackhander
Associate

Post by blackhander »

The evidence strongly suggests so. The names and the date of the party that bought the plates over match Mineo's party. Plus we know Mineo knew Cordaro. So, I think it's fair to assume they are the same group.

Clemente was ordered to set Cordaro up with a Secret Service printer from Washington. Then Cordaro started communicating with someone called 'Nino' in Sicily to bring the printing plates over. Also, someone in the US called "Calogero Genlile" (their spelling) was giving Cordaro updates about 'Nino's' progress with bringing the plates over.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Speaking of the Cordaros, I randomly came across another connection last night. I mentioned how Nicola's brother Vincenzo Gentile and early Cleveland member Antonino Mangione used Carmelo's brother Silvestre Cordaro as an arrival contact, well it turns out early San Francisco member Giuseppe DiNolfo also arrived to Silvestre on one occasion. DiNolfo was from Siculiana like Gentile and Mangione so that's three Siculianese members connected directly to Silvestre Cordaro. DiNolfo looks to have lived in NYC before SF.

I thought they were from Casteltermini but Silvestre was actually born in Siculiana.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I didn't find enough evidence to show that Carmelo Cordaro was anything but a padrone who was involved with counterfeiting. He could have been a high ranking Mafioso, but as far as I know at this point it's speculation.

I'm also wondering if some of those counterfeiting cases were entrapment. After all, the federal courts didn't recognize it as a defense until 1915.
blackhander
Associate

Post by blackhander »

I believe that was one of the charges that Agent Otto Klinke brought against the Secret Service in 1912. The charges were eventually dismissed, but I’d love to find the testimony.

I think Lucchino, Clemente and Comito were all receiving a wage from the Secret Service when they either incited a crime or testified.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

blackhander wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:12 pm I believe that was one of the charges that Agent Otto Klinke brought against the Secret Service in 1912. The charges were eventually dismissed, but I’d love to find the testimony.

I think Lucchino, Clemente and Comito were all receiving a wage from the Secret Service when they either incited a crime or testified.
I was going over your site again last night. Some sections were updated since In last looked and you've done a fantastic job. I was wondering about a couple of group photos in the mugshot section that only have dates (1916 and 1910) but nothing else. Do you have any information on them?
blackhander
Associate

Post by blackhander »

Thank you! I'm finally getting around to updating some of the texts which are desperately out-of-date.

The large group shot of the guys sitting outdoors on beer barrels (1916) comes from the Municipal Archives NYPD collection. I can't find the original message, but I recall somebody had matched some of the faces with other shots of the Gopher Gang.

The 1910 shot is a mystery, it was sent to me by somebody who had some images of the Santa Lucia Hotel in Coney Island - but they didn't have any further info.
EdwardGuawn

Hey folks, hope your day is as intense as your smiles!

Post by EdwardGuawn »

Happy to observe this! Amazing understanding and the standard of detail distributed is awesome!
Thanks and have a great day!
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

blackhander wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:06 am Thank you! I'm finally getting around to updating some of the texts which are desperately out-of-date.

The large group shot of the guys sitting outdoors on beer barrels (1916) comes from the Municipal Archives NYPD collection. I can't find the original message, but I recall somebody had matched some of the faces with other shots of the Gopher Gang.

The 1910 shot is a mystery, it was sent to me by somebody who had some images of the Santa Lucia Hotel in Coney Island - but they didn't have any further info.
I don't recall on top of my head if Pellegrino Morano was in the USA yet, but if so he might be in the photo.

There was something else that I noticed that might need a small correction. In your piece on the early Mafia where Nicola Taranto is discussed the restaurant at 8 Prince Street was mentioned along with Morello being the owner. In Ciro Terranova's testimony they may have still been in Bryan, Texas, in 1896. When Morello came back he had a coal shop and then a couple saloons either in or near East Harlem. So I don't think Morello was at the 8 Prince Street address until at least 1900. The person who may have been the connection was Andrea Romano. (I'm writing this off the top of my head so I might be off in a thing or two.)

Romano was born in 1858 in Misilmeri and in 1933 in Rochester, NY. He arrived in 1887. His wife, who died in 1900, was Giovanna (Anna) Triolo, also from Misilmeri. I don't have confirmation that he was a made member, so his possible affiliation is just speculation. As far as I know, he could have been the boss before Lupo. Misilmeri is close to Belmonte Mezzagno and Villabate.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Interesting about Romano.

Mods, you should unstick this thread to declutter the board. I appreciate you promoting it when it came out.
blackhander
Associate

Post by blackhander »

Thanks, I've moved that paragraph so as not to cause confusion. I looked into the history of a saloon on E13th St that Morello was involved with. The records closely match with Ciro's testimony, indicating he was pretty accurate with the list of business ventures that he mentions.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

blackhander wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:31 pm Thanks, I've moved that paragraph so as not to cause confusion. I looked into the history of a saloon on E13th St that Morello was involved with. The records closely match with Ciro's testimony, indicating he was pretty accurate with the list of business ventures that he mentions.
I'll check it out. I haven't looked into his E 13th Street saloon, so looking forward to reading what you found out. I noticed that when Morello was arrested in 1903 he said he owned several businesses and real estate, so he was already relatively well-off.
blackhander
Associate

Post by blackhander »

There is not much to write up as the information is pretty thin, but this is what I found a while back:

445 E13th St Saloon

NOV 1900
Morello leased from Frank Locurto

DEC 1900
Gaetano Liggio the barman is arrested under excise law. (The bar is closed but the proprietor is seen eating and drinking with a friend in the back room.)

JUNE 1901
Morello conveyed to Gatetano Liggio (giving up the saloon so quickly fits in with the 1910 testimony)

JAN 1908
Saloon bombed (Black Hand). It’s back in ownership of Locurto.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Frank Locurto and Liggio likely both came from Corleone. I couldn't find their passenger manifests, so I couldn't confirm this, but many 19th century manifests didn't have that information anyways. Locurto was attacked in his saloon by an alleged Black Hander in 1908. The attacker, Salvatore Sorrentino, came from the area of 7th and Roebling in Brooklyn, in Cola Schiro territory. In court, Locurto said he misidentified him. There was another Frank Locurto who lived near Sorrentino, so it's possible it was a case of mistaken identity. Someone who fit the description of Sorrentino died of TB on October 8, 1917. He lived at 203 N 7th St. in Brooklyn. Other Sorrentinos who lived in that area came from Castellammare del Golfo.