Gangland October 19th 2023

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Gangland October 19th 2023

Post by Dr031718 »

Turncoat Genovese Gangster Coerced To Have Sex With FBI Handler

A key government witness who helped the feds take down dozens of mobsters including the current and former chieftains of the powerful Genovese crime family says that in addition to wearing a wire and testifying at several trials he was coerced by one of his FBI handlers into an unwanted sexual relationship that lasted for nearly three years, Gang Land has learned.

The agent, the wife of a supervisor of the FBI's Genovese family squad, allegedly enjoyed her scandalous relationship with mob defector Michael (Cookie) D'Urso from mid-1998, when he became a cooperating witness, until early 2001 while he was tape-recording thousands of conversations with members and associates of all five families, D'Urso has told Gang Land.

In War Against the Mafia, a book scheduled for publication in December, former FBI agent Mike Campi wrote that he learned years after he retired in 2007 about D'Urso's allegations that "shocked me to the very core." But to his "surprise and disappointment," he wrote, the FBI showed no desire to pursue the allegations and prosecute her. And on orders from FBI censors in Washington, Campi had to omit a crucial detail from his manuscript — the name of the agent.

She is Joy Adam, Gang Land has learned. Adam, 59, retired in 2017 after an unrelated internal FBI inquiry cleared her of technical violations of FBI policy by intentionally keeping reports about a New York investigation of mob boss Joseph (Skinny Joey) Merlino from FBI databases in order to keep the Philadelphia and Miami FBI field offices in the dark about the probe.

D'Urso told Gang Land more than 13 years ago that Adam solicited sex from him and used her power as an FBI agent to force him to continue having sex with her while he worked as an FBI undercover operative. D'Urso explained he felt trapped by Adam, fearful that she would upend his deal with the feds — or worse. Before relating the sensational story, Gang Land had to agree to keep what he called a "possible life and death" situation and a "big story," a secret until he decided to reveal it, or he was killed.

We met in a restaurant in the shadow of Brooklyn Federal Court, where D'Urso had testified against Carmelo (Carmine Pizza) Polito, the Genovese mobster who was found guilty of shooting him in the head in a Williamsburg social club, and where his two Mafia bosses, Liborio (Barney) Bellomo and the late Vincent (Chin) Gigante pleaded guilty in 2003 to racketeering crimes that stemmed from his cooperation.

When D'Urso told me he was forced to have sex with agent Adam for years, he stated that when his five years probation ended in March of 2012, he would think about letting me write that "big story." That day never came. D'Urso declined to discuss the matter now, or comment about Campi's book. But he released me from my oath of secrecy, now that Campi has written about it.

Gang Land was unable to reach Adam, or her husband, or get the FBI, or any of their former or current colleagues, to have them get back to us if they had any comment regarding the allegations described by D'Urso or by War Against The Mafia. The FBI declined to comment about D'Urso's allegations, or why it censored parts of Campi's account in his upcoming book.

Campi spent most of his 24 years on the Genovese squad and was supervisor of 150 mob-busting agents when he retired. In War Against the Mafia, which is currently slated for publication on December 12, the former G-man wrote that the FBI's Inspections Division, and its Inspector General's Office, each did nothing to investigate D'Urso allegations while Adam was still an agent.

Campi wrote that long after D'Urso was sentenced to probation in 2007, D'Urso called him and told him that "for years, literally within weeks of having first cooperated a decade before," he and agent Adam, who is identified only as Jane throughout, had been engaged in sexual activity that is all blacked out in the FBI-vetted version of the book that Gang Land has obtained.

"That was what he said," Campi wrote. "He had been too afraid to bring it up to me or anybody else in law enforcement until now. His fears had been many," Campi wrote. "His cooperation agreement might get torn to shreds and he'd receive his full life sentence" for a murder he admitted, and that "Jane would of course brand him a liar."

"He eventually told his wife," Campi wrote, and she "wanted to kill Jane." D'Urso also "told his attorney and the private investigator who his lawyer worked with" about it while it was going on, and he later "confidentially shared this information with some in the news media," Campi continued. "His message," Campi wrote, was: "If I get killed, it's this crazy FBI agent, not necessarily organized crime."

Adam allegedly seduced D'Urso, Campi wrote, "only a couple of weeks after he began cooperating." It happened "at a hotel near Newark airport" after she called and told him to meet her there" and "they had a meal and then a few drinks," Campi continued.

"Jane shared that she had been one of the agents keeping an eye on him before his decision to cooperate," and then "the conversation took a shocking and unexpected turn," Campi wrote.

As directed by FBI censors, Skyhorse Publishing blacked out the specifics. But according to what D'Urso told Gang Land years ago, Adam said: "Hey, you wanna get laid tonight? I've been listening to your conversations for years and I've grown attracted to you."

"I was shocked," D'Urso told me. "She was not my type. I did not want to, but I knew that would be tough to admit. I said to myself, 'What do I do? If I say no, is she going to hold it against me. Her husband is the supervisor on the squad. She can make it 10 times worse for me. Nobody's going to believe me over her, so do I bang her and try to have an ally, or do I say no."

There was very likely no way that the turncoat gangster could say, "No," even if he wanted to.

"As a street guy," is the way Campi put it in War Against the Mafia, "he concluded his best option was to go along with her demand as the least risky choice. I think it's also possible it crossed his mind that (having sex with her) would give him leverage over the FBI, because the organization would be publicly embarrassed if he leaked this information."

"It became almost too much for D'Urso to bear," Campi wrote. He noted that running would make him a fugitive, negate all his work, violate his cooperation agreement, and expose him to a possible death sentence from the mob or a life in prison for the murder he had pleaded guilty to. "In the end," Campi wrote, "D'Urso concluded he had no safe alternative," but to grin and bear it, so to speak.

That notion wasn't easy to swallow, and Gang Land pressed D'Urso why he just didn't say no, and refuse to have sex with her.

"Whenever I resisted," D'Urso said, "she'd stop approving the funding for living expenses that we needed to survive because I couldn't keep any of the money from scores I was making with Sammy (Genovese capo, Salvatore Aparo) and (wiseguy) Joe Zito because the FBI was keeping that as evidence. I really had no choices."

"She demanded to have sex every time we met," he said. "She'd get there early before everybody and we'd have sex. It became a mandatory routine. And if it couldn't be before, it had to be after. She wouldn't let me go."

"This fucking woman put me in a hospital," he continued. "I thought I was having a fucking heart attack, and my wife had to take me to the hospital."

Campi wrote that D'Urso stopped having sex with Adam after he made what the former FBI agent thought was a "remarkable" phone call to him and "launched into a bizarre tirade" about agent Adam. It happened, he wrote, right after the FBI pulled the plug on its investigation and the feds took down 45 mobsters and associates from all five families in April of 2001 on racketeering, murder, and other charges.

"I hate working with this woman, Mike," D'Urso told him in a call from the "safe house" that the FBI had placed him and his family. "I can't stand it. Some people, you just can't stand Well, I can't stand her. We don't get along. She just makes my skin crawl. Mike, I'd rather go to jail than keep working with her. I hate her even more than Polito."

"For D'Urso to say this against Jane was just remarkable," Campi wrote, noting that Polito had "orchestrated" the 1994 social club shooting of D'Urso in which D'Urso's cousin was killed. (As Gang Land has reported, Polito was found guilty of killing D'Urso's cousin and the attempted murder of D'Urso, but the conviction was overturned because the government didn't prove they were related to mob activity.)

"He didn't provide any specifics," Campi wrote, and he concluded that it was because Adam had just withheld funds for living expenses from D'Urso — combined "with the accumulated overall overbearing stress" that D'Urso was under as the feds prepared to arrange witness protection for his family and his in-laws.

"Then another striking event took place," Campi wrote. He was called to a hospital emergency room by D'Urso's wife because "he thought he was having a heart attack. It turned out he was having a panic attack, not a heart attack."

Campi understood that could happen from all the stress that Durso was under, even when he "reiterated that he did not want to spend any further time with Jane," Campi wrote. "I thought his request still came from the stress Durso was feeling trying to adjust himself and his family to a new life," and not that she was forcing him to have sex with her, which would be a crime.

"Believe it or not," Campi wrote, "my supervisor at the time was Jane's husband," and when Campi told him to reassign another agent to handle D'Urso "and to keep Jane completely away from Durso, he asked me why." His answer, Campi wrote, was: "Because Durso told me he hates her more than he hates Carmine Polito. That's why. Now remove her from all contact."

Years later, when D'Urso called Campi and explained those actions, the former FBI agent recalled that "once we began working with Durso, I also noticed that Jane began to wear sundresses to work." He noted that he "never really noticed any other agents dressed in this manner" but "didn't think much about it at that time."

In hindsight, Campi wrote, he recalled other unusual quirks that Adam had during the D'Urso investigation that made more sense now.

When D'Urso would call him and "let me know he was on the way to a meeting and needed to be wired up," and Campi "let the team know, Jane would usually immediately grab her purse and sprint out of the squad area."

Campi wrote that another agent "would look over at me and at the time we'd laugh at her behavior," he wrote, "never having a clue as to why she was in such a rush to set up for surveillance. We figured maybe she was hurrying because her bureau car was parked a distance from the office, and she had to get a head start to arrive in a timely manner."

"All of these puzzling statements and behaviors through the years," Campi wrote, "now fit together . . . for the first time."

Another time, Bernard Kane, an agent who had worked with Campi in the Cincinnati division of the FBI and who had been recruited along with Adam "as new agents by the FBI Philadelphia Division," approached Campi as he was talking to Adam.

"Bernie said that while Jane was undergoing new agent training in Quantico, she dated a high school boy," Campi wrote. "She laughed when Bernie concluded but did not deny the story. It appeared as though her laughter was confirming the story. This struck me as a red flag that Jane was just a bizarre character."

Bizarre indeed. But nowhere near as bizarre as the allegations leveled by D'Urso and recounted by Campi in War Against the Mafia.

Sammy Meatballs & Company, Naked Inductees & Smoldering Napkins

Despite the stress that Michael (Cookie) D'Urso endured from the bizarre demands allegedly made on him for sex by an FBI agent, his first year of undercover work was "exhilarating" for the FBI Genovese squad that was listening to taped talks he was having with Sammy Meatballs & Company, former G-Man Mike Campi writes in his upcoming book about the case, War Against The Mafia.

Genovese mobsters "began to treat him as a made man" and "let him in on more of their secrets," Campi wrote. They discussed details about supposedly sacrosanct induction ceremonies that wiseguys are prohibited from talking about, even with other made men, Campi wrote, noting that according to Mafia protocol, their violations were "technically punishable by death."

"In their eyes," Campi explained in a fun-filled chapter titled, Embedding With The Genovese, D'Urso "had proven that he was a hardcore gangster, through and through." Nearly five years earlier, in late 1994, "D'Urso had been shot in the head" and "his cousin had been murdered" in a social club ambush and when he recovered, Campi wrote, "D'Urso didn't cooperate."

Cookie's skipper, whose given name was Salvatore Aparo, loved to talk. He'd thrown out a few fun facts, including that "he was inducted into the Genovese family the same day" more than 60 years ago as the late family boss Vincent (Chin) Gigante. But Aparo also "spilled everything" to D'Urso about an induction ceremony of three members that took place "the night before," Campi wrote.

Aparo described how a trio of top mobsters — Ernest Muscarella, Daniel (The Lion) Leo and Lawrence (Little Larry) Dentico (All have numerous mentions in prior Gang Land columns) — had straightened out two crew members. They were Aparo's son Vincent, Frank (Frankie Machines) Demeo, and Robert DeBello. Demeo and the younger Aparo were later among the 45 gangsters who were taken down by the feds in 2001. DeBello, who was from Queens, managed to avoid arrest.

"They make you swear by the oath," Sammy said. "You can't fuck around with this, that, that, that, that. You get killed. You fuck around with a friend's wife, you get killed . . . When Vin went in there, they got the gun and the knife covered on the table . . . They went through the whole ritual thing."

Frankie Machines and Vinny Aparo "also blabbed all about" their inductions to the wired-up D'Urso which signified, Campi wrote, "not only that omertà was a joke," but also that "they all viewed D'Urso as an equal" and "treated him as a future leader."

"These highly suspicious criminals" shared so many "secrets" with D'Urso that it was "almost comical," Campi stated. The younger Aparo also gave D'Urso a "thorough play-by-play" of his induction" and "provided a firsthand account for D'Urso to record as though he had been there himself," Campi wrote. It differed somewhat from his father's take.

"To D'Urso's amusement, Vinny shared that the inductees were all naked, ironically to ensure that nothing could be recorded," Campi wrote.

And when D'Urso asked Vinny if he had any burn marks on his hand, where they traditionally burn a picture of a saint, Aparo said, "No, no. They lit a napkin. You know how a napkin burns. It doesn't really burn. It smolders."

And then Vinny Aparo added an excellent end quote about his induction into the crime family: "The induction ceremonies depicted in the movies are done better than the real inductions."

Upcoming Book Says Genovese Capo Boasted Of His Mob Prowess To Actress Liz Hurley

He began serving an 11-year term for state racketeering charges in 1998. But in 1997, Genovese capo Alfonso (Allie Shades) Malangone was dining with actress Elizabeth Hurley, ostensibly consulting with her about Mickey Blue Eyes, a mob-tinged romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant that would open in 1999, when Michael (Cookie) D'Urso was wearing a wire for the FBI.

Most likely they were at Pastels, the Bay Ridge night club Malangone owned at the time, but it could have been at Campagnola, the Upper East Side eatery he often frequented. What D'Urso was hearing from wiseguys Alan (Baldie) Longo and Paul Geraci was a humdinger of a story: Allie Shades was trying to woo the stunningly beautiful actress.

That's the tale told in War Against The Mafia, the forthcoming book by former FBI agent Mike Campi.

"To their amazement," Campi writes, "Malangone loudly described the entire structure of the Genovese family to her," and "explained that he was a capo, and what this meant, and gave her the details of the soldiers in his crew."

Elizabeth Hurley"This violated the omertà code at the Mafia's very core," Campi wrote. "These were the exact, specific things you swore — under penalty of death — you would never talk about or acknowledge. And yet this high-ranking capo blabbed about it into Hurley's ear, at a table filled with other mob guys, and nobody said anything," the ex-mob buster continued, stressing the hypocrisy of The Life, a constant theme of his book.

"And Longo and Geraci," Campi wrote, "were violating omertà by blabbing to the un-inducted D'Urso and others about what had happened." Longo, who had been Malangone's bodyguard chauffeur in the 1980s and was then a "high-level messenger" between the crime family's crews, also stated that "he and their whole crew hated Malangone because he abused his crew."

They may have been hypocrites, but their reticence to criticize their powerful, and allegedly violent, boss is understandable. As for Allie Shades, his own hypocrisy was obviously not driven by fear, but another emotion that was triggered by Hurley, a co-producer of the 1999 movie. The film starred Grant and James Caan, and included eight actors who had roles on The Sopranos, including Tony Sirico, Aida Turturro, and Frank Pellegrino, the late owner of Rao's.

Hurley, who was voted the Sexiest Woman In The World by the English edition of GQ magazine in 2001, apparently liked mobsters. That year, Hurley was often seen dining and holding hands in Beverly Hills with Colombo wiseguy Dominick (Donny Shacks) Montemarano, who starred a year later in a forgettable movie Night At The Golden Eagle that was produced by Hurley's then paramour, Steve Bing.
Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Gangland October 19th 2023

Post by Dr031718 »

Dr031718
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dr031718 »

Jerry’s going to give the whole book away by the time it comes out
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Malangone doing that is wild. A reminder that not every Genovese member has the guile of Benny Lombardo
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Thanks Jerry now I don’t have to read the book.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Good article this week. Thanks for posting.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Yeah, nice work this week. Allie Shades shooting his shot with Liz Hurley...Durso having to get raped over and over by woman...good work.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

I would have a hard time banging that agent Joy Adams. She looks like a dog in that pic!
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Would.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

Jerry gave away the book. I don’t concur: I’d bang get. The whole cheating cuckold, sneaking around, high school kid - edgy and pervy.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

outfit guy wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:37 am Jerry gave away the book. I don’t concur: I’d bang her. The whole cheating cuckold, sneaking around, high school kid - edgy and pervy.
Blunts
Straightened out

Post by Blunts »

Thanks for posting. Interested to have a read of this upcoming book.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

honestly don't blame Allie Shades for trying to hit that shit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Uforeality
Straightened out

Post by Uforeality »

D'Urso getting sexually abused by a federal agent is pretty funny. "She wasn't my type." He even had a panic attack. Wild, wild stuff here.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

"It became almost too much for D'Urso to bear,"
He sounds like a fag. An agent wanted to suck your d*ck... he was complaining about it? Never in my life have I heard such bullsh*t. Who knows what she looked like then. I am thankful for every blow job I ever gotten. Ungrateful prick!!