Prof/Dr Sergi, Welcome back!

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Re: Prof/Dr Sergi, Welcome back!

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Fwiw, I think Anna is maybe a bit too busy for things like that, but I’m open to the idea. An issue though, is many cases pictures don’t exist, also it wouldn’t be a chart in the traditional sense on account of the nature of ‘ndrangheta not being as hierarchical as other groups can be. But id be willing to talk to Chris and provide what I can, provided he has the time and inclination.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

ANNAESSE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:39 am Lubrichi is a small district of Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte, my mum's birthplace! This is great info about Di Pietro. Lubrichi and Santa Cristina are very close indeed to Oppido, but again, the links you seek between these Di Pietro and the Madafferi brothers probably developed already in Melbourne as the Di Pietros are not a ndrangheta family by origin.
My great great grandparents are from Santa Cristina D’Aspromonte. Caterina Calabria and Michele Barbaro. They relocated to Casignana and their 3 sons emograted to the U.S. all three killed in the 1920’s in Youngstown, OH & Pittsburgh, PA. I still have Barbaro relatives in Plati, Casignana, Bianco & Benestare. I just recently located Barbaro relatives in Australia. We have cousins on my mom’s dode with last name Sergi, all from Cirella. Was Santa Cristina a town with alot of Ndrangheta activity?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

This is a great post JCB, and hopefully Anna finds the time to answer soon (I know she’s got 101 things going on atm, but I know she checks in semi-regularly).

We’ve spoken in the past a little bit about your family relations scattered throughout Australia, I’ve always found it so fascinating when you spoke about “family calls to the cousins” in Australia. Just in passing, there were references to an Antonio Calabria being involved in the Bungendore crops and Operation Seville (huge “police sanctioned” marijuana grow operations in NSW and the ACT in the late ‘80s), and I’d been led to believe Calabria was being used as a pseudonym for unnamed individuals; I’ve recently learned that no, they were the actual names of figures arrested in the Operation. Are you open to sharing where in Australia you’ve located more Barbaro and Sergi? I have a rough idea, but if you’re willing to narrow it down a bit more, either here or a PM, it might be nice to explore a bit more about the context around it. As you might have noticed, there was an article about a Michael Barbaro of Melbourne just in the papers.

Looking forward to Professor Sergi hopefully expounding a bit on your questions!
DoubleZ
Straightened out

Post by DoubleZ »

ANNAESSE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:35 am Phenomenal question indeed. I have never looked at Chicago (but that might change soon as I am planning a book on the Italian-American mafia in the East Coast..). The thing that stands out for me is the misspelling of the surname Archino which not only is not a frequent surname but it's not Calabrian at all. Could it be Archinà perhaps? That said, I have no doubt that there was a connection between the Siderno Group in Chicago that in NYC and that of the border areas, don't forget Detroit and Niagara down the line. I would however warn against the belief that this Chicago base was significant in any way. It might have been given the time completely absorbed into other mafia-type groups in the city, and the Calabrians in there as it had happened in Canada and in NYC at some point, became part of the bigger Italian mafia (Sicilian born) phenomenon, which is why you don't find info - there are none specific to give? But I will see if I stumble across anything else. Thanks"
Ciao Professoressa Anna!

First, thank you for taking the time to review and answer our questions here. Your information and research is a hot commodity in our shared space.

Let me preface by saying, my focus is on researching organized crime activity in the American Great Lakes region and Ontario, so I tend not to focus so much on any individual group (LCN will always be my preference to research).However, what I am most interested in researching (at least for now), is how the Michigan-Ontario border crossing(s) fit into the larger "Italian Organized Crime" network. Much has been written and discussed about the other US-Ontario border crossing in the Niagra-Buffalo region, and the IOC activity within (aka an active war-zone). So very little has come to light on the significantly busier, more economically essential, and continuously expanding border crossing region that is Southeast Michigan and Southwest Ontario.

One could argue that there is a lack of modern day IOC presence and activity in this region, however I do not believe this is the case. With significant historical precedence there, an active Sicilian clan (identified by Italian authorities) embedded within the local LCN structure, and even a recent $70M drug/human smuggling bust with players in the region with connections to Toronto and Niagara regions - there's a lot to unpack here:
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news ... gling-bust

My question to you is, in your research have you been able to find data points or information on groups operating in this region? And how does the Detroit-Ontario region fit into the larger criminal context ?

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated!

Take care,
DZ
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Just an update, the good doctor/Il professoressa is super busy atm with a lot on her plate, but she has said she will be back on the forum as soon as her schedule permits.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

AustraliaSteve wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:26 am Just an update, the good doctor/Il professoressa is super busy atm with a lot on her plate, but she has said she will be back on the forum as soon as her schedule permits.
la professoressa
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

LarryC wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:46 am
AustraliaSteve wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:26 am Just an update, the good doctor/Il professoressa is super busy atm with a lot on her plate, but she has said she will be back on the forum as soon as her schedule permits.
la professoressa
My bad. Thanks Larry, for the correction. Obviously I don’t speak the language. Even before Sky News referred to her as a “Miss” during a newscast, I try to make a point of putting the proper respects on her name. My wife is doing her Ph.D atm, and it’s a LOT of fucking hard work.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

All good, Steve.

Lots of work, indeed, for your wife. Good luck to her, it'll be all worth it in the end.
ukthesis
Associate

Post by ukthesis »

Hi Anna. David Critchley here. I remember when you visited the John Jay College in Manhattan a few years ago. I have the huge luxury of being able to spend long years doing my own organized crime/Mafia research. I have copies of many of your pieces. I came across your discussion of the legal differences between the American federal RICO laws and the Italian anti-mafia laws, as the closest equivalent. One is membership-based (the Italian case) and the RICO legislation relates to activities. Illustrating how "organized crime" is a catch-all term for varied criminal phenomena. Many would be surprised to know that simple Cosa Nostra membership in America is not per se a crime. The illegal activities often stemming from membership are. In the Persico case, one of the defendants argued precisely that point.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

ukthesis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:09 pm I came across your discussion of the legal differences between the American federal RICO laws and the Italian anti-mafia laws, as the closest equivalent.
Dr Sergi published a paper on this issue (different policing models between Australia, Italy and the USA, and it literally changed my fundamental understanding of the subject.
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

JCB1977 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:09 pm
ANNAESSE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:39 am Lubrichi is a small district of Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte, my mum's birthplace! This is great info about Di Pietro. Lubrichi and Santa Cristina are very close indeed to Oppido, but again, the links you seek between these Di Pietro and the Madafferi brothers probably developed already in Melbourne as the Di Pietros are not a ndrangheta family by origin.
My great great grandparents are from Santa Cristina D’Aspromonte. Caterina Calabria and Michele Barbaro. They relocated to Casignana and their 3 sons emograted to the U.S. all three killed in the 1920’s in Youngstown, OH & Pittsburgh, PA. I still have Barbaro relatives in Plati, Casignana, Bianco & Benestare. I just recently located Barbaro relatives in Australia. We have cousins on my mom’s dode with last name Sergi, all from Cirella. Was Santa Cristina a town with alot of Ndrangheta activity?
No not really (waiting for Dr Sergi to be back) - it's a very small centre, but usually linked (mafia-wise) with Platì - lately a man from Santa Cristina was leading a ndrangheta cell in Rome though!
ANNAESSE
Associate

Post by ANNAESSE »

ukthesis wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:09 pm Hi Anna. David Critchley here. I remember when you visited the John Jay College in Manhattan a few years ago. I have the huge luxury of being able to spend long years doing my own organized crime/Mafia research. I have copies of many of your pieces. I came across your discussion of the legal differences between the American federal RICO laws and the Italian anti-mafia laws, as the closest equivalent. One is membership-based (the Italian case) and the RICO legislation relates to activities. Illustrating how "organized crime" is a catch-all term for varied criminal phenomena. Many would be surprised to know that simple Cosa Nostra membership in America is not per se a crime. The illegal activities often stemming from membership are. In the Persico case, one of the defendants argued precisely that point.
Ciao David, thanks for sticking around :D
ANNAESSE
Associate

Post by ANNAESSE »

JCB1977 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:09 pm
Ciao! we share place of origin! Santa Cristina had its own group of ndranghetisti, but was considered zona franca - free zone - during the kidnappings, as the groups there did not participate to the kidnappings. Since then, the relationship with the 'ndrangheta in the village has always been through Platì, which is next door, so overall there's no autonomous 'ndrina, but some 'ndranghetisti still have lived and love there and associated to the Platì groups.
ANNAESSE
Associate

Post by ANNAESSE »

DoubleZ wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:05 am
ANNAESSE wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:35 am Phenomenal question indeed. I have never looked at Chicago (but that might change soon as I am planning a book on the Italian-American mafia in the East Coast..). The thing that stands out for me is the misspelling of the surname Archino which not only is not a frequent surname but it's not Calabrian at all. Could it be Archinà perhaps? That said, I have no doubt that there was a connection between the Siderno Group in Chicago that in NYC and that of the border areas, don't forget Detroit and Niagara down the line. I would however warn against the belief that this Chicago base was significant in any way. It might have been given the time completely absorbed into other mafia-type groups in the city, and the Calabrians in there as it had happened in Canada and in NYC at some point, became part of the bigger Italian mafia (Sicilian born) phenomenon, which is why you don't find info - there are none specific to give? But I will see if I stumble across anything else. Thanks"
Ciao Professoressa Anna!

First, thank you for taking the time to review and answer our questions here. Your information and research is a hot commodity in our shared space.

Let me preface by saying, my focus is on researching organized crime activity in the American Great Lakes region and Ontario, so I tend not to focus so much on any individual group (LCN will always be my preference to research).However, what I am most interested in researching (at least for now), is how the Michigan-Ontario border crossing(s) fit into the larger "Italian Organized Crime" network. Much has been written and discussed about the other US-Ontario border crossing in the Niagra-Buffalo region, and the IOC activity within (aka an active war-zone). So very little has come to light on the significantly busier, more economically essential, and continuously expanding border crossing region that is Southeast Michigan and Southwest Ontario.

One could argue that there is a lack of modern day IOC presence and activity in this region, however I do not believe this is the case. With significant historical precedence there, an active Sicilian clan (identified by Italian authorities) embedded within the local LCN structure, and even a recent $70M drug/human smuggling bust with players in the region with connections to Toronto and Niagara regions - there's a lot to unpack here:
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news ... gling-bust

My question to you is, in your research have you been able to find data points or information on groups operating in this region? And how does the Detroit-Ontario region fit into the larger criminal context ?

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated!

Take care,
DZ
My advice on this would be to stop looking at the "italian" ethnicity, it is not only a deterministic terminology in that area, as in most area, but it does not give you a true picture of whatever is going on in the underworld. Whatever Italian group of people are doing there they are doing it with others, having their activities, or rather - having people of italian origins doing some crime - does not mean you have any structure behind it, if that makes sense?
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Anna,
My recent experiences in researching ‘ndrangheta families in Australia has, again, evolved. Not only towards the concept of active networks of ‘ndranghetista in Australia, but also my perception of the individuals who come up in the news.
In Australia, we need to move beyond the Platí-centric narrative of vast empires built on criminal dynasties. At the same time, acknowledging the Platí families as well as looking at the families from Sinopoli, San Luca, Oppido Mamertina. Siderno etc. it’s such a much more nuanced grasp on understanding what gets called ‘ndrangheta in Australia.

Anna, I know all the reporters that contacted you for comment (Drill, Rule and Buttler, and McKenzie.) Here on TBHF, can you share what you initially thought when you heard about the murder, or what you’ve learned about the recent murder of Big John Latorre? Family from Oppido with deep links to the Blonde. Their fathers literally came over together, they go way back. John’s brother Vince, I picked him out of one of the funeral pics. He’s still a big dude, past his prime, but still. A known hitter this guy, nobody is afraid criminological brother Vince wouldn’t kill the people that murdered his older brother…? They say it’s the Young Turks, but these Turks are Elvis Di Pietro and Young Johnny Mads. Staunchly in the Madaferri - Barbaro camp. Plus both Latorre and Madaferri were family to the LoVerde family, they’re seemingly right in the thick of it.

Will we see Vince or another brother murdered soon, like what happened to the Mannella brothers two decades ago?.

Rocco Arico somehow shed his ‘ndrangheta image by becoming involved with the Mokbel and Williams era gangs. But he’s still constantly linked to serious organised crime in Australia. Alvaro cases are winding through circuitous Adelaide court systems. The WA Madafferi and Italiano networks are functional. Warburn Estate and the Real Juice Company. I know a case where an Australian resident was charged, detained and had all family assets frozen, only to be then officially dropped from all charge sheets and later “exonerated” when the case around them became nothing.
In 2024, which clans or groups are you expecting to see activity from? What’s your view on the relationship between Melbourne and West Australian ‘ndrina atm, especially post Latorre murder?

I think I may have discussed a few cases where in early source material, a racial classism construct placed Italian-born Australians in opposition to the hegemony. Post-White Australia policy, the children of migrants were racialized into white. And second and third generations of families built their way into legitimate fortunes. But that’s another subject lol.

I guess what I’m asking Anna is, through a criminological lens, what were the things that stood out to you on your last visit? I know you were focusing on a different project, but what gave you pause for thought in modern Australia? And especially now, with transnational drug networks very much in operation?