https://mafiainaustralia.wordpress.com/

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Re: Mafia Down Under Discussion

Post by AustraliaSteve »

A number of sources link the Australian Papalias and Perres to Canada's (though the latter is spelled as Perri). Dominic Perre is the guy who basically got away with sending a mail bomb to the NCA which killed the officer pursuing him.
The Papalia's make an interesting story; three men murdered, t20 on the same date, September 3rd, a year apart. There's a little bit of info below, and I'll post an article about the 2014 hammer murder.
There's records of the name as far back as 1929, when Vincenzo Papalia, 31, had an altercation with one Domenico Surace, 20, who stabbed him with a knife after Papalia shot at him. The Trove article is a stub, but I can post it if folks want to see it.

NCA probes a poser: three dead, same names, all from one Italian village
By ROD CAMPBELL
20 September 1990
The National Crime Authority has been asked to help unravel the backgrounds of three murdered men, all with the same name and all from one village in Calabria, Italy. The dead men are Antonio Papalia, 48, of the Western Sydney suburb of Canley Vale; Filippo Papalia,54, of Croydon Park, in Sydney's
inner west; and Dominic Papalia, 65, of Moonee Ponds, Melbourne. The body of Antonio Papalia was found at Capcrtee, near Lithgow, on September 8 last year. He had been shot in the chest and had a fractured skull. He had been seen last at the Fairfield RSL club on September 3,1989. On the same date - September 3 last year - Filippo Papalia was shot dead outside his flat in Croydon.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

The recent Papalia conviction.

Domenico Papalia jailed for at least 22 years for hammer murder of Adelaide man Edward Camilleri
By court reporter James Hancock
Updated 11 Feb 2014, 7:13pm

A man jailed for at least 22 years for murdering Adelaide man Edward Camilleri dined with the victim's family after the murder, the dead man's sister told a court.

Mr Camilleri, 50, was bashed to death with a hammer and his body buried in a shallow grave at a property at Two Wells on Adelaide's northern outskirts in 2011.

A Supreme Court jury had found Domenico Papalia, 31, guilty of murder.

Justice Michael David described the crime as vicious and calculated.

"You lured your victim to the property of your grandparents and you mercilessly bashed him to death with a hammer," he said.

"Immediately after the offending you spent a considerable amount of time telling lies and laying false trails, both to the police and most cruelly to the deceased's family."

During the trial, Mr Camilleri's sisters told the court Papalia had urged them not to report their brother's disappearance and had promised them he would help find the man.

"You went further and you extracted money from them on the promise you would find the deceased," Justice David said.

The body was found about four months after the killing.

Justice David said it was hard to know what motivated Papalia.

"But it appears to be greed and also there is a suggestion that your counsel put this morning that you may have been affected by cocaine," he said.

How did you have the face, after brutally murdering my beautiful brother with a sledgehammer and smashing his head like a watermelon, to come to my parents and my house to sit and eat with us?
Joan Camilleri, victim's sister
During the trial Papalia admitted he was present during the killing, but said two other men carried it out.

He maintains his innocence and is appealing against his conviction.

Another man Steven Zenuni, 22, was jailed for more than 10 years after admitting his part in the killing.

Justice David said Papalia and Zenuni played very different roles.

"You were the instigator and main player in this senseless, violent crime," Justice David told Papalia during the sentencing.

Mr Camilleri's parents Theresa and Emannuel said outside court the a non-parole period of 22 years was too low.

"Not enough, no not enough, he should have got at least 30 or over."

In the sentencing submissions, one of Mr Camilleri's sisters Joan told Papalia of the stress and anxiety he had caused her.

"All we wanted to do was go to the police but your manipulation made us all feel we had gotten ourselves deeper and deeper into trouble and there was no one to help us except you," she said.

"How did you have the face, after brutally murdering my beautiful brother with a sledgehammer and smashing his head like a watermelon, to come to my parents and my house to sit and eat with us?"

First posted 11 Feb 2014, 10:33am
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Okay, done for now. I'm working on some new articles, I will post them when I can. Always open for any chat regarding the subject of Australia and Calabria.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

There's some catch up on recent shit: Crisfari was arrested in Rome, he was a peripheral figure in the Cicconte cocaine ring;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/m ... me/8648790
Mafia member who lived in Australia arrested at Rome airport over alleged drug ring
By Connie Agius
Updated 24 Jun 2017, 12:37pm

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

VIDEO: Bruno Crisafi was arrested at Rome airport after flying out of Australia (ABC News)
RELATED STORY: Mafia received $53m in state funds after taking over migrant centreRELATED STORY: Family, violence and silence: Life and death for women in the Italian mafia
MAP: Italy
Italian authorities have arrested a member of the powerful mafia group known as the 'Ndrangheta at Rome's international airport after being tipped off that he had departed Australia.

Bruno Crisafi booked a one-way ticket from Perth, where it is alleged he was protected by relatives in Australia.

An arrest warrant was issued for Crisafi's role in an international cocaine trafficking operation in Italy, but he managed to avoid capture before going on trial.

An Italian court found him guilty and sentenced him in absentia to 20 years in prison, and he was subject to an Interpol Red Notice.

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) , in cooperation with Western Australia Police, alerted international authorities that Crisafi was on his way back to Italy.

They said the information led to his arrest at the Fiumicino Airport.

"The 'Ndrangheta is known as one of the most powerful criminal organisations in the world, adept at money-laundering, extortion and drug trafficking," ACIC CEO Chris Dawson said in a statement.

"Given the transnational nature of serious and organised crime, our relationships with national and international partners are more important than ever before, and this arrest is a testament to the value of these relationships."

Four italian police officers arrest a man at Rome International Airport
PHOTO: Information from Australian authorities led to the arrest. (Supplied: ACIC)
The 'Ndrangheta manage at least 60 per cent of Europe's cocaine trade, and deal directly with Mexican and South American drug cartels for their supply. They also traffic heroin, cannabis and weapons.

Italian prosecutors claim the collective worth of the 'Ndrangheta families is in the billions, and the clans are known to move family members around the world.

They say the aim is to infiltrate political, social and economic institutions to achieve their criminal activities and launder their dirty cash, including in Australia.

It is the second time in 18 months a convicted member of the 'Ndrangheta has been arrested on their return to Italy from Australia.

Antonio Vottari was arrested in Rome after Italian police were tipped off that the fugitive, also convicted for his part in an international drug trafficking ring, was on his way back to Italy.

Vottari had lived in Australia for up to five years, despite a previous drug conviction, because Italian prosecutors had only issued a European arrest warrant. Australian authorities were allegedly none the wiser.

This latest arrest came on the same day the National Antimafia and Counter-Terrorism Directorate in Italy released its annual report.

The report highlighted an increased cooperation with Australian authorities to exchange information in the fight against the 'Ndrangheta, including visits from Australian police officials within the last 12 months.

The report also mentioned the murders of lawyer Joseph Acquaro in Melbourne and Pasquale Barbaro in Sydney last year, and their connections to the Madafferi family, some of whom are in prison for several crimes, including the world's largest import of ecstasy hidden in tomato cans.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Domenico Agresta flipped in Oct 2016 in Calabria, and named some of his family as having emigrated to Australia to engage in criminal acts. The Agresta name is pretty well known here, but it may be a little lofty describing them as "establishing" their own locales. As I understand, the Agrestas in New South Wales and Victoria were subservient to the Sergi family.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-29/m ... ia/8996618

Italian mafia family migrated to Australia to set up shop: witness
RN By Connie Agius for Background Briefing
Posted 29 Sep 2017, 7:00am

A member of the 'Ndrangheta, or Calabrian mafia, has testified in an Italian court that members of his family migrated to Australia to set up a criminal cell.

Domenico Agresta decided to become a collaborator with Italian justice in October 2016, and has since been testifying against his criminal family and other members of the 'Ndrangheta — one of the most powerful criminal organisations in the world.

"Agresta has confirmed that also in Australia there are members of the 'Ndrangheta, members of his family, that emigrated to Australia and have established in Australia at least two different locales in Australia," said Stefano Castellani, the anti-mafia prosecutor who took Agresta's statement.

A locale is a criminal cell within the 'Ndrangheta made up of three or four mafia families that live in the same area. They support each other in times of need, for example by providing money to support the family of members in jail.

Dr Castellani said the Agresta family are involved in serious criminal activity.

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

AUDIO: Hear how the 'Ndrangheta came to Australia (Background Briefing)
"They are involved in drug trafficking because they can count on the links with other 'Ndrangheta members both in Italy and in Central and South America," Dr Castellani said.

"They are also involved in other crimes such as the illegal detention of weapons, the selling of weapons and so on.

"He certainly knows that the 'Ndrangheta has also established at least two locales, so two groups of 'Ndrangheta members in Australia. There could be more, but part of the Agresta family — cousins, uncles — are part of these two locales in Australia."

The Australian Federal Police will not confirm or deny whether they are investigating the intelligence provided by Agresta.

The 'Ndrangheta targets Australia

Anna Sergi, a lecturer in criminology at the University of Essex and an expert on the 'Ndrangheta's global networks, says Agresta's testimony indicates the group's intention to make Australia a criminal base.

"There is an intent to make Australia a base for certain families, criminal families, and that means that there is an understanding that Australia serves the purposes of mafia behaviour, that you can get away with it, with this type of behaviour, and certain types of crime," Dr Sergi said.

"It is a lucrative place to set up a business."

Stefano Castellani, an Italian man with wavy hair and glasses, sits at his desk in a messy office
PHOTO: Stefano Castellani says the Agresta family are involved in weapons and drug trafficking. (ABC: Connie Agius)
Dr Sergi says the Australian drug market is particularly lucrative for 'Ndrangheta families.

"The 'Ndrangheta clans are strong enough and powerful enough and wealthy enough to absorb the risk in the trafficking," she said.

"Whenever you see big shipments of drugs, the 'Ndrangheta might easily be involved because they do have the money to move drugs across continents."

But the organisation is not just interested in criminal activity. In many countries they also invest in legitimate businesses.

"There is an investment in legal companies across the country, which go from winemaking to green energy, and all sorts of other local trades," Dr Sergi said.

"Local penetration into society is quite deep and it's not just a criminal phenomenon on the street."

Does Australia need new laws to fight the mafia?

Dr Sergi said the 'Ndrangheta often exploited legal loopholes created by the crossover of state and federal police jurisdictions.

"State police obviously have an organised crime capacity but they are bound to remain at state level because they cannot go beyond their jurisdiction," she said.

"The federal police, in my view, [are] the only ones who have the human capacity and the legal capacity to investigate across borders, but their set of interventions is limited.

"You have a number of crime commissions, but they are supposed to keep their investigations private because they are intelligence-led. They are sometimes investigating people others have investigated, and that is a waste of energy and efforts and money."

Dr Sergi said the Commonwealth's range of anti-association and anti-consorting offences were not strong enough to combat the sophistication of the 'Ndrangheta.

"Criminal law in Australia works through anti-association legislation for organised crime, which basically means that you have to proscribe an association as illegal before you can prosecute anyone for membership of that association," she said.

"That doesn't work for 'Ndrangheta. It might work for some of the outlaw motorcycle gang groups that Australia has been struggling with in the past 10 years, because they do have clear membership and they do have a very identifiable sub-cultural set of values, but it doesn't work with 'Ndrangheta."

Not every family with the surname Agresta in Australia is part of the 'Ndrangheta.
The Attorney-General's Department declined to comment.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Also, Tony Sergi died last month. He was the son of Giovanni "Old Joe" Sergi, longtime patriarch of the Sergi family who was named in ABCI reports as one of the country's leading bosses.

Ill post more on this a bit later..
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

So I did a thing. I'm kinda proud of it, I guess. Not sure of the ettiquette though.

After the series of articles I wrote in 2012 began getting cited by researchers like Dr. Anna Sergi (this lady is my fuckin hero) and others, I was spurred into continuing the series. But not on GangstersInc this time, because fuck David, thats why (lock me out of my account and continue to host my work? Nah...)

Anyway, check it. Or don't. Whatever. I know it's not the main focus of the board, but I'm fine with it. I love the Black Hand Forum that much, I'm just lucky to have been invited here in the first place. Thanks my dudes!!

https://mafiainaustralia.wordpress.com
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 am So I did a thing. I'm kinda proud of it, I guess. Not sure of the ettiquette though.

After the series of articles I wrote in 2012 began getting cited by researchers like Dr. Anna Sergi (this lady is my fuckin hero) and others, I was spurred into continuing the series. But not on GangstersInc this time, because fuck David, thats why (lock me out of my account and continue to host my work? Nah...)

Anyway, check it. Or don't. Whatever. I know it's not the main focus of the board, but I'm fine with it. I love the Black Hand Forum that much, I'm just lucky to have been invited here in the first place. Thanks my dudes!!

Mickey,

Shortly after I responded to your PM on November 28 here on TBHF, David moved the old GangstersInc. forums to Tapatalk.com. The new link is here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gangstersinc/index.php

I bookmarked the above link on December 4; so the forum move happened between these two dates (I don't know the exact date; I was actually trying to look up an old post and then made the discovery).

At the new link above, you have to use your Tapatalk ID to log in. Therefore, my old login credentials did not work at the new site. If you don't have such a Tapatalk ID, you have to of course register through Tapatalk.

Despite the forum move, all old posts have been preserved, as have members' older profile information, private messages, and join date (mine is August 22, 2006). I can even see in my Sent Messages folder there the PM I sent you on November 28. I can see your Mickey Meatballs handle in the list of members, as well as your member information: Citizen, 6 posts, join date of 25 Oct 2011, 17:17.

If the account that you have been locked out of is something different, my apologies. All I know is that other organized-crime authors and writers who first knew David through either the RealDeal or the old Gangsters Inc. Mobbed Up Forum still have a good relationship with him.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Any known relation of Dr. Anna Sergi and Giovanni "Old Joe" Sergi, longtime patriarch of the Sergi family?
Or just coincidence?
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Nah brother. Unless you take the view that ultimately, all Sergi are far-flung relatives. As far as I know though, no known relation. Her father was straight fwiw.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

antimafia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am
MickeyMeatballs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:07 am So I did a thing. I'm kinda proud of it, I guess. Not sure of the ettiquette though.

Mickey,

Shortly after I responded to your PM on November 28 here on TBHF, David moved the old GangstersInc. forums to Tapatalk.com. The new link is here:

I bookmarked the above link on December 4; so the forum move happened between these two dates (I don't know the exact date; I was actually trying to look up an old post and then made the discovery).

At the new link above, you have to use your Tapatalk ID to log in. Therefore, my old login credentials did not work at the new site. If you don't have such a Tapatalk ID, you have to of course register through Tapatalk.

Despite the forum move, all old posts have been preserved, as have members' older profile information, private messages, and join date (mine is August 22, 2006). I can even see in my Sent Messages folder there the PM I sent you on November 28. I can see your Mickey Meatballs handle in the list of members, as well as your member information: Citizen, 6 posts, join date of 25 Oct 2011, 17:17.

If the account that you have been locked out of is something different, my apologies. All I know is that other organized-crime authors and writers who first knew David through either the RealDeal or the old Gangsters Inc. Mobbed Up Forum still have a good relationship with him.
Hm. Well. Guess I'm the cunt.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 pm
antimafia wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am

Mickey,

Hm. Well. Guess I'm the cunt.
No wait. Except IIRC, he stopped responding to my emails. And it seemed like for all intents and purposes, the original articles were copyrighted to GangstersInc. Which kinda irked me, y'know? It, uh, kinda festered over the years, if you know what I mean.

Is it worth joining up again? As far as I know, all the quality posters migrated here. Although it was in some ways less US-centric as well.

Thanks brother. Something to consider, and I appreciate it.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

MickeyMeatballs wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pmNo wait. Except IIRC, he stopped responding to my emails. And it seemed like for all intents and purposes, the original articles were copyrighted to GangstersInc. Which kinda irked me, y'know? It, uh, kinda festered over the years, if you know what I mean.

Is it worth joining up again? As far as I know, all the quality posters migrated here. Although it was in some ways less US-centric as well.

Thanks brother. Something to consider, and I appreciate it.
Mickey,

I'll send you a PM about copyright, copyright ownership, copyright transfer, and copyright assignment. To get a handle on what the situation is, I'll need to ask you a few questions, such as Did you sign any agreement that dealt with copyright? and Were you paid for your articles?

There are no new posts over at the new Tapatalk location for the old Gangsters Inc. forums. I won't post there till I see some regular activity. For now, I view those forums as I did before: an archive of posts that sometimes contain information that is no longer available elsewhere on the Net.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Fantastic point, antimafia. I've been thinking about it a little, and there are actually some old posts I'd like to dig up.

Thanks again mate.
AustraliaSteve
Straightened out

Post by AustraliaSteve »

Been away for a while. It's good to be back.

Interesting article.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relat ... 0b2f3e362d