General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Jack Dempsey
Associate

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Jack Dempsey »

From Orange New Jersey Two Ton Tony Galento! Any fans? Did he have any connections?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Ivan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:12 pm So uh do you guys actually read Gentile in the original Italian, or has his book been translated into English, or what? (Just curious, I work as a translator in real life.)

From I remember it was never officially translated in book form but I believe Angelo (Chris Christie) translated it (or at least portions of it) and that is what is floating around.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I've always pulled from his translation but in the last couple years Informer Journal did an issue that summarizes most of Gentile's book and life if you're interested.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:35 am I've always pulled from his translation but in the last couple years Informer Journal did an issue that summarizes most of Gentile's book and life if you're interested.
Cool, thanks. I take it he's considered credible?

Was considering learning Italian or some other Euro-language actually. Already know Latin so Italian probably wouldn't be too hard for me. I have a client in Rome and the ladies in the office there have characterized me as "fun to work with" in a professional review. :|
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:38 pm
B. wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:35 am I've always pulled from his translation but in the last couple years Informer Journal did an issue that summarizes most of Gentile's book and life if you're interested.
Cool, thanks. I take it he's considered credible?

Was considering learning Italian or some other Euro-language actually. Already know Latin so Italian probably wouldn't be too hard for me. I have a client in Rome and the ladies in the office there have characterized me as "fun to work with" in a professional review. :|
Oh Gentile is one of the greatest resources in the entire history of Cosa Nostra.

He's not infallible (who is?) but he had an incredible memory for detail and laid it all out there. He was a member since the first decade of the 1900s, transferred between multiple Families in the US and Sicily, and was the official boss of Kansas City and a consigliere in Cleveland and Pittsburgh while also serving on the national Gran Consiglio.

I'd place his memoir higher than Bonanno, Valachi, or anyone else.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:55 pm Oh Gentile is one of the greatest resources in the entire history of Cosa Nostra.

He's not infallible (who is?) but he had an incredible memory for detail and laid it all out there. He was a member since the first decade of the 1900s, transferred between multiple Families in the US and Sicily, and was the official boss of Kansas City and a consigliere in Cleveland and Pittsburgh while also serving on the national Gran Consiglio.

So I take it he doesn't indulge in that "mya tradition doesa notta permit narcotics, eeef Carmine Galante a-does it behinda my back I never know" type bullshit?
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ivan wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:23 pm
B. wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:55 pm Oh Gentile is one of the greatest resources in the entire history of Cosa Nostra.

So I take it he doesn't indulge in that "mya tradition doesa notta permit narcotics, eeef Carmine Galante a-does it behinda my back I never know" type bullshit?
He claims he got involved in narcotics out of desperation when the Terry Burns Didato murder ruined the gambling spot he worked for, so he does use that as an excuse, but he at least admits he was a drug trafficker.

There's def a good amount of pride in the traditional "Honored Society" throughout the book but I think it's sincere and he points out all the treachery. This is a guy who came to the US from Sicily in early adulthood and was part of a strong international brotherhood so no doubt he was a true believer before he left permanently for Italy.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

is CC's translation posted on this forum?
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Does Anyone have additional info on Gaetano "The Shoemaker" Massaro besides that Antonio Mascatti labeled him a black hand leader and he presided over initiation ceremony for Luigi DiPadova?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

What was gentiles reason for writting the book??

He was a boss of KC ???

when did he die and was he still active??
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:21 pm What was gentiles reason for writting the book??

He was a boss of KC ???

when did he die and was he still active??
Gentile was boss of KC sometime between 1923-1925. The FBI reported Gentile died on November 6, 1966, this isn't accurate though. On Christmas in 1973, Pietro DiDonato interviewed Gentile disproving the FBI's alleged death date of Gentile. Not sure if it ever came out exactly when he died though. Not sure why he wrote the book, but probably because he wanted money.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Jimmy calandra has got to be back on that shit ....

He drops a new video that takes 10 mins to say the real video is PART 3 of the bobby decicco story ...

Before i even get into commenting on his horrible slow ans possibly specisl ed style of talking/reading his script ....

These cant be the same DeCiccos as the gotti ones , right???

Or were they a huge family?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Does anybody know of any mob influence in Teamsters Local 237?
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 am These cant be the same DeCiccos as the gotti ones , right???
Jeremy I’ve never watched any of Calandra’s videos but Bobby DeCicco is the son of Georgie DeCicco former Gambino captain and nephew of Frank the former underboss.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:56 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 am These cant be the same DeCiccos as the gotti ones , right???
Jeremy I’ve never watched any of Calandra’s videos but Bobby DeCicco is the son of Georgie DeCicco former Gambino captain and nephew of Frank the former underboss.
Was calandra known to associate wjth them?